HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ellerby- keep him or trade him?: edit: TRADED TO KINGS FOR 5TH RD PICK

Old
02-08-2013, 11:30 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

vCash: 500
WTF? A 5th rounder? I'm speechless...

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:32 AM
funky

can anyone update me on what we can expect from him?

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:32 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rats96Yo View Post
Wish it was Weaver.
Weaver is starting to play better and he's proven he can be a reliable PK and second pairing guy. Cheap too.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:33 AM
johano90

Maybe not a great return but what do you expect? He's a serviceable guy but Strachan was better and apparently Dineen doesn't have the stomach to scratch Weaver or Kuba... I'm happy he will be given the opportunity and it never hurts to have draft picks. On the Panthers' site I read that the pick was originally New Jersey's, if that matters to anyone.

If Strachan keeps his play up I hope we can resign him, he's a real gem in the rough, like a Garrison.

johano90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:35 AM
johano90

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
Former first round draft pick. Plays well in his own end and makes smart decisions. Not much to call home about with regards to offensive ability, skating or great outlet passes, yet at least. We always thought he had the potential to develop into a Kulikov type asset for this team, so a 5th round draft pick seems like a good deal for you all.

johano90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Weaver is starting to play better and he's proven he can be a reliable PK and second pairing guy. Cheap too.
And ellerby wasn't cheap? He didn't even make a $1m. I hate this deal.

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:37 AM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Something had to give. Every team knew we had a glut of Dmen. However it was we were moving, you know we wouldn't of gotten full value.

Guess this means the Stratchan sticks.

PantherboyHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Shockley
Go Cats Go!

vCash: 498
So pissed. WTF. Ellerby was better than Kuba Weaver and Jovo. and for a ****ing 5th

Shockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:38 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
Occasional big hit, good size, can skate well but looks loose on his skates. His outlet passes are solid, no offense whatsoever. He always comes into training camp looking like he dedicated himself to getting into top shape. He's close to putting it all together where he can be a second pairing guy but right now he's a third pairing d-man with some upside. No offense though.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:40 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
And ellerby wasn't cheap? He didn't even make a $1m. I hate this deal.

Weaver is having a rough start but he's definitely a lot more proven (ellerby isn't really proven) and when he's playing like the Weaver we know is much much better than Ellerby. He's also improving each game. I think his struggles early on has to do with no preseason and training camp.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:41 AM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by johano90 View Post
Former first round draft pick. Plays well in his own end and makes smart decisions. Not much to call home about with regards to offensive ability, skating or great outlet passes, yet at least. We always thought he had the potential to develop into a Kulikov type asset for this team, so a 5th round draft pick seems like a good deal for you all.
His offense is non-existent. He can pass the puck though.

Skating is excellent, like a young Jay Bouwmeester.

Count me out as someone who thought he would develop into a Kulikov type talent. I always expected a poor-mans Jay-Bo, which now adays is pretty poor

Old
02-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Weaver is having a rough start but he's definitely a lot more proven (ellerby isn't really proven) and when he's playing like the Weaver we know is much much better than Ellerby. He's also improving each game. I think his struggles early on has to do with no preseason and training camp.
I think this is bad asset management. Period. God if Ellerby was just given a damn chance he'd probably be better than he is right now. He never really got a fair shake in FLA.

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:42 AM
funky

thanks for the updates guys. I felt the same way last week when we lost Loktionov.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:45 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
I think this is bad asset management. Period. God if Ellerby was just given a damn chance he'd probably be better than he is right now. He never really got a fair shake in FLA.
I'm not happy either with the return either. Tallon was forced to deal someone. In a perfect world he'd keep Ellerby. But Ellerby's upside is a second pairing guy at best. And I agree it doesn't seem like he ever got a fair shake BUT we don't see what goes on in practice and behind the scenes. Maybe he's screwing up in practice? Missing things on tape? Who knows? But yeah, overall, not too thrilled with this.

Ellerby seems like the type of player that once he gets enough ice time, things will click for him, and he'll be a good stay at home d-man.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:45 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Don't like this move. I honestly hate Weaver and Kuba at this point as both have proven to be a bigger problem than solution.

Ellerby isn't much better but he is better than those two. Also with our injury history trading away depth on D is stupid, even more so because Jovo takes days/weeks off at a time.

I would say this was a salary dump but he didn't even make much money at all.

Maybe Tallon just figures the San Antonio guys can handle it in case of call up. Again though, I am not happy about this move and it honestly comes far out of left field.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:46 AM
pantherbot

Terrible return, but there wasn't much we could do given the amount of d-men we had and the market for ellerby probably wasn't that high...

still would have expected a 3rd rounder.

also hate that it hurts our defensive depth

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
I said it on the Trade Rumors & Proposals board but I really wanted at least a 3rd rounder for him (especially since we lack a 3rd this yr). Not thrilled with the trade at all and now I want to go to the STH Town Hall on Tues next week to find out why they didnt have faith in Ellerby developing further based on what we all saw this yr.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
floridashawn

I dont understand why this is surprising to anyone. Keaton has been a giant disappointment as a first round pick. He has been given the chance and its time to cut him loose. My depth chart for this team at D looks like this,

Campbell
Kulikov
Kuba
Jovo
Gudbranson
Weaver
Strachan
Caruso
Petrovic
ELLERBY

They could have tried to send him down but he would have been picked up on waivers. a 5th is better than nothing. There was simply was no room for him here anymore when Strachan outplayed him.

And Weaver will be fine, Kuba as much as I hate him is going nowhere with that contract. Hopefully he improves his play.

floridashawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:47 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanHuberdoh View Post
Don't like this move. I honestly hate Weaver and Kuba at this point as both have proven to be a bigger problem than solution.

Ellerby isn't much better but he is better than those two. Also with our injury history trading away depth on D is stupid, even more so because Jovo takes days/weeks off at a time.

Maybe Tallon just figures the San Antonio guys can handle it in case of call up. Again though, I am not happy about this move and it honestly comes far out of left field.
We had 8 d-men. No chance we were carrying all of them. The team has to pay Caruso too because of his injury. I thought there was a chance but I thought we'd get something better than a 5th.

He must like what he sees in Petrovic and Robak because with an injury or two, one of them is getting called up.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:49 AM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanHuberdoh View Post

When you have 8 D-men up, and 7 are on one-ways, its better to lose one for a draft pick then through waivers for nothing.

Now lets see if Kuba comes around. I am going to hold faith on him. Tallon didn't sign him beacuase he is stupid.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:49 AM
jakethesnake23

If he was to be traded I would have thought a lame return like this. Hes a 5/6th defensemen on this team so it hard to expect much better.

That said, I always liked and defended the guy. AWESOME tools (skating, hitting) that could be a huge asset to the Kings. Really dont want him to go, but such is life.

jakethesnake23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:52 AM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridashawn View Post
I dont understand why this is surprising to anyone. Keaton has been a giant disappointment as a first round pick. He has been given the chance and its time to cut him loose. My depth chart for this team at D looks like this,

Campbell
Kulikov
Kuba
Jovo
Gudbranson
Weaver
Strachan
Caruso
Petrovic
ELLERBY

They could have tried to send him down but he would have been picked up on waivers. a 5th is better than nothing. There was simply was no room for him here anymore when Strachan outplayed him.

And Weaver will be fine, Kuba as much as I hate him is going nowhere with that contract. Hopefully he improves his play.
Gudbs 5th on your depth chart?!?!

Like Chris Bermon says, "Come on, Man!"

Old
02-08-2013, 11:53 AM
jakethesnake23

Wow lots of people defending him now. Felt pretty lonely last year (only other poster I can remember was ZeroG who was proactive in his defense).

jakethesnake23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:57 AM
floridashawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR View Post
Gudbs 5th on your depth chart?!?!

Like Chris Bermon says, "Come on, Man!"
LOL Give him a few more games this season and he will be 3rd im sure...

floridashawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:59 AM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake23 View Post
Wow lots of people defending him now. Felt pretty lonely last year (only other poster I can remember was ZeroG who was proactive in his defense).
No defense on my part. Even though he was a top 10 pick, it was six years ago. He hasn't done anything to show he should stick.

Ya I know he seemed to go in and out of the lineup, but with all the games he played he should of made an impression at some point. He clearly didn't.

He was Tallon's player, just one he inherited. Let him build this team as he sees best. In Tallon I trust..