HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Ellerby- keep him or trade him?: edit: TRADED TO KINGS FOR 5TH RD PICK

Old
02-08-2013, 11:03 AM
jakethesnake23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR View Post
No defense on my part. Even though he was a top 10 pick, it was six years ago. He hasn't done anything to show he should stick.

Ya I know he seemed to go in and out of the lineup, but with all the games he played he should of made an impression at some point. He clearly didn't.

He was Tallon's player, just one he inherited. Let him build this team as he sees best. In Tallon I trust..
I appriciate the honesty and would agree that for all the positive stuff I gave him, would have liked to see more. I feel like he has much to give and we never saw the full extent. I hope he can contribute elsewhere.

jakethesnake23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Rats96Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Weaver is starting to play better and he's proven he can be a reliable PK and second pairing guy. Cheap too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
And ellerby wasn't cheap? He didn't even make a $1m. I hate this deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Weaver is having a rough start but he's definitely a lot more proven (ellerby isn't really proven) and when he's playing like the Weaver we know is much much better than Ellerby. He's also improving each game. I think his struggles early on has to do with no preseason and training camp.
Weaver is also UFA, and Ellerby has some upside as you pointed out as well. Weaver is done which is probably why LA didn't even consider him.

Rats96Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:15 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Told you he's not worth anyone. I bet we were about to waive him and Tallon wanted a pick rather than nothing. Although I would rather seen Kuba, Weaver gone before Ellerby

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Thought he was playing better and liked how he jumped to a few guys' defense, hoped for a better return, but he's a tweener, something had to break, and no one was gonna touch Kuba or Weaver.

He'll get more chances out there, better luck to him, wish him well...won't miss him.

02-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
I don't think we'd get anything other than late pick for him
I told you guys. Time for some crow

ZeroG?

Old
02-08-2013, 11:19 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rats96Yo View Post
Weaver is also UFA, and Ellerby has some upside as you pointed out as well. Weaver is done which is probably why LA didn't even consider him.
No he isn't. He's signed until the end of 2014.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:21 AM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Dont see whats all the fuss. He was one of the last in a long line of draft busts that spanned a decade. In a world with no cap and no contracts i would love to ship out kuba and weaver but that wasnt going to happen.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
Dont see whats all the fuss. He was one of the last in a long line of draft busts that spanned a decade. In a world with no cap and no contracts i would love to ship out kuba and weaver but that wasnt going to happen.
Uhgreed

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:30 AM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

And Ellerby officially gets overrated by Panthers fans..

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
And Ellerby officially gets overrated by Panthers fans..
He's overrated only because he was 10th overall pick. A big bust for us. He could do better on another team time will tell. Had we picked him in the 3rd-5th round no would care about this return

Old
02-08-2013, 11:38 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
He's overrated only because he was 10th overall pick. A big bust for us. He could do better on another team time will tell. Had we picked him in the 3rd-5th round no would care about this return
I think that whole draft was a bust for us.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Bure1096

Send a message via AIM to Bure1096
i'll post what I said in the trade forum:

For all those saying "Florida got robbed" or "This could be another Grabner situation" this kid could barely crack the top 6 during his tenure here... He was only used in case of injuries or scratches.

Some Panther fans will say he didn't get enough playing time to actually show what he could do... I will say that after meeting him last year and watching his play, he needed a change of scenery. The only solid thing I can say about his game is his skating which he was highly touted for when being drafted. Other than that he gets beat one on one a lot, weak along the boards and has NO offensive game. If Jovo can make the top 6 and this kid can't... then I do not have a problem with getting a 5th for him. He had no place with the Panthers and would not have with the D men we have coming up.

I wish him luck and maybe he can put it together over in LA, but I expect to see him on waivers or let go as a FA this summer. Def a bust in my book.

Bure1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:40 AM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:
I think people are more pissed because he has played better than Jovo, Kuba, and Weaver. And is also one of the few guys that actually would hit people. With all the teams desperate for D you would think they could have done better than a 5th. It's not like anyone expects a first for him a third would have been fine especially the way Tallon loves thirds.

PBPantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Erick

I really don't see the big deal.

A mediocre defenseman was traded for a 5th round pick.

For all the talk about Weaver and Kuba, those guys have track records that should outweigh the small sample size, as well. Maybe there are things we aren't seeing as fans. Kuba is consistently up there in PK minutes, which seems to suggest that he's probably not the pylon we say he is. He just looks like one because he's very slow, but, for what it's worth, I have seen him in good position to block shots at times this year.

Weaver has struggled but we already know he's better than he's played.

Now Strachan (who everyone also loves) is going to get more playing time. Have we lost in regulation with Strachan in the lineup this year? I think a lot of us would agree that he's probably better than Ellerby at this point.

It's not a big deal. What's Ellerby's ceiling? Top-4 D-man? I wish him the best. Seems to be a nice guy.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
No, we'd get nothing for him.
Well, I was right about his value in a trade...

Old
02-08-2013, 11:54 AM
RainingRats

Santos said too many one way contracts. GR added the thinks Ellerby would still be with the team if they didn't have to pay Santorelli 1mill to play in the AHL.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Weaver was just resigned for two years,wasn't he??

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:04 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Told you he should have been traded last year, bet the return would have been something better than a 5th.

Oh well, better than nothing I guess.

Quote:
Weaver is signed through next season. UFA 2014.

Quote:
Although I would rather seen Kuba, Weaver gone before Ellerby
Agreed, but who on their right mind would take Kuba? He's (unless he does a miracle turn around during the rest of the season) a bottom pairing d-man getting paid 4 million. No one wants anything to do with that contract.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Erick

A puck-moving defenseman with 17 points in 125 career games is not going to net you much more than a 5th round pick. That's just the way it works. Even his #'s in the AHL were underwhelming.

Some of us might think Ellerby might improve, but he's been a bust at the end of the day. I hope the change of scenery does him well because I gained some respect for him last year off the ice. He was scratched a lot, yet all he did was cheer for the team and never complained. So I hope he has a nice career elsewhere just because of that. Good character guy, imo.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:16 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

If I hear..

"But, he was a 10th overall pick.."

again..

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:19 PM
PSLguy

I'm a little surprised at a 5th round pick for him. While he may have struggled offensively he did bring energy every time he was on the ice.

How many fifth round draft picks make to the NHL? Seems like a pick for San Antonio or Cincy rather than for the Panthers. If teams would have claimed him off waivers wouldn't they have also traded for him?

Oh well, we can complain all we want , the trade is done!

PSLguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:20 PM
FrolikFan67

ellerby was a good guy and looked decent this year, i wish him all the best in la and hopefully he gets some playing time and does well. we had too many D with him and strachan, a 5th seems a little low, but oh well, not a huge deal.
i dont see kuba(nmc) getting moved, and i dont really see weaver moving either. hopefully jovo is bought out in the offseason, as well as upshall.

FrolikFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Dr Beinfest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
If I hear..

"But, he was a 10th overall pick.."

again..

Well... he was a 10th overall pick...

Dr Beinfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:43 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

Im not upset that he was traded, but I would have liked more in return. Oh well, I trust in DT. More time for Strachan I guess who I really like and think has played better than Ellerby.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:47 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I would have rather seen Kuba someone off this team than Ellerby, but I don't see this as a big loss. Like I've said before, he has potential and he's still very young, but I feel like he's been in the league enough to learn from some of the mistakes that he made with decisions. This was a huge season for him to make an impact and besides a few good games, overall he still didn't overcome his lack of hockey sense.

I wish him luck in the future with LA and hope he develops into a top 4 defenseman. I kind of feel bad for the way he was treated by some of the fans here because he was the nicest of guys, but most fans just lost their patience. He just didn't fit into the pairing system here with so many other defensemen that are better suited to play and with guys like Petrovic and Robak on their way up in the near future.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote