HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Ellerby- keep him or trade him?: edit: TRADED TO KINGS FOR 5TH RD PICK

Old
02-08-2013, 12:50 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSLguy View Post
I'm a little surprised at a 5th round pick for him. While he may have struggled offensively he did bring energy every time he was on the ice.

How many fifth round draft picks make to the NHL? Seems like a pick for San Antonio or Cincy rather than for the Panthers. If teams would have claimed him off waivers wouldn't they have also traded for him?

Oh well, we can complain all we want , the trade is done!
I really think DT likes to choose his own players, especially in the draft. I think it would of taken too long to work our a deal for a guy already in the AHL. We had 8 D, something had to give soon.

Dales late round picks are noticeable since his first draft (2010):

5th round pick was Zach Hyman, but a 4th that seems good was Sam Brittain, goalie at the University of Denver. He has good numbers.

Our 5th was Yaroslav Kosov, who played for the Russia World Jr's this year. The games I saw he looked real good. He sarted playing in the KHL as a 18 yr old last season, and put up a few points.

Didn't have a 5th rounder, but our 6th was Francis Beauvillier, who plays in the QMJHL. He was one of the last cuts for Team Canada's World Jr team this year and has 53 points in 51 games this year.

Tallon drafts like someone this organization has never seen. I am comfortable with getting a 5th in this trade.

In Tallon I trust..

Last edited by PantherboyHTR: 02-08-2013 at 01:15 PM.
PantherboyHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:59 PM
Rats96Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
No he isn't. He's signed until the end of 2014.
Ouch, the day gets worse, swear I thought (wished) we only gave him one year.
Quote:
I think that whole decade was a bust for us.
fixed

Rats96Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:06 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Thought he was playing better and liked how he jumped to a few guys' defense, hoped for a better return, but he's a tweener, something had to break, and no one was gonna touch Kuba or Weaver.

He'll get more chances out there, better luck to him, wish him well...won't miss him.
Kuba next I hope!

Why the hell was this guy seen as a suitable replacement for ANY portion of what we lost in Garrison??

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:12 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
Dont see whats all the fuss. He was one of the last in a long line of draft busts that spanned a decade. In a world with no cap and no contracts i would love to ship out kuba and weaver but that wasnt going to happen.
Perfectly stated. Nice post.

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post
I think people are more pissed because he has played better than Jovo, Kuba, and Weaver. And is also one of the few guys that actually would hit people. With all the teams desperate for D you would think they could have done better than a 5th. It's not like anyone expects a first for him a third would have been fine especially the way Tallon loves thirds.
15 hits in 9 games. Weaver has 22 in 9 games and Ellerby has a huge size advantage

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

vCash: 50
What a joke of a trade.

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Erick

Of all the guys Tallon has traded, did anyone go to another team and improve?

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

With Strachan playing well this season, and Petrovic/Robak knocking on the door for next season something had to give. I wish we could have had a better return then a 5th rounder but as bad as Ellerby has been at times I'm glad DT was able to get more then just a back of pucks for him. Wish him the best out in LA.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Horton

Well, not really improve beacause he's still lazy but he did get his team into the Cup Final.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:47 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Horton and Gregory Campbell. Horton not statistically but he was a key piece in their cup run. Campbell, defintiely. Grabner was arguably a mistake, waived not traded.

Skille for Frolik is fine.
Campbell for Olesz is one of the most lopsided trades in the last decade in the NHL.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:48 PM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

vCash: 50
What happens to Ellerbyfan4?

Name change or do we lose her to the LA KINGS in the trade too??

This is a bit of a SHCKER trade, hockey is a business and a 5th round is better than nothing. Theres been tons of gems found after the 4th round. As most have stated, nobody is willing to take on Kuba's contract.

I liked the grit Ellerby brought this year with a couple fights but maybe he was unhappy with the amount of minutes he was playing?? You never know whats going on behind the scenes. We need Kuba, Weaver and Jovo for veteran leadership, they may not impress everyone all the time but theyre mentors when it comes down to it.

This moves gives Robak or Petrovic an opportunity and I remember hearing Dineen say he was impressed with Petro. Robak has alredy seen NHL game action so why not let these two get a "chance" which Ellerby had numerous times.

Wish him well in LA, I'm surprised with the trade but not upset about it, I feel Tallon could have haggled for a 4th but maybe we see a deal with LA at the deadline in April?? You scratch my back and ill stratch yours kinda deal......

I also noticed Rob Scuderi is a UFA this year. Kuba for Scuderi.

CanadianPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Horton

Well, not really improve beacause he's still lazy but he did get his team into the Cup Final.
Horton was frustrating because he played lazy many times, but he's still the same guy. Production-wise, he was a good 2nd line player here and he's been exactly that in Boston.

+ we got Bjugstad for him, which is nice.

Honestly, Tallon has traded a lot of young players and all those players have either stayed the same or regressed. Pretty impressive track record with the trades.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:52 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Cheap, thought we could get a 3rd at least..

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:55 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Horton was frustrating because he played lazy many times, but he's still the same guy. Production-wise, he was a good 2nd line player here and he's been exactly that in Boston.

Honestly, Tallon has traded a lot of young players and all those players have either stayed the same or regressed. Pretty impressive track record with the trades.
I'm not worried Ellerby will turn into a stud d-man. At best a serviceable second pairing guy with no offensive upside.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Horton and Gregory Campbell. Horton not statistically but he was a key piece in their cup run. Campbell, defintiely. Grabner was arguably a mistake, waived not traded.

Campbell for Olesz is one of the most lopsided trades in the last century in the NHL.
In before you

And fixed! Soupy for Rusty hahahahaha!

Old
02-08-2013, 02:05 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:

Was just pulling your chain with Horton. Yeah, although he didn't improve statistically he did play like a monster all the way up until that concussion in the playoffs after getting trading. But, he also did not want to be here and asked to be dealt so being able to get Bjugs for him was a big bonus!

Old
02-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Erick

Quote:

Campbell for Olesz is one of the most lopsided trades in the last decade in the NHL.
Didn't see this, but my response is the same.

Those guys did not improve. I don't think Gregory Campbell has improved with Boston. He was always a good checking line player here. Tallon knew what he was giving up; he's the same guy.

That trade can't be properly judged yet because we haven't seen Bjugstad play, but my point is that those guys did not improve. I remember when the trade was made, many outsiders thought Horton would become a PPG player in Boston surrounded by better talent, but that didn't really happen. As it stands, there's a chance we got the best player in the deal.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Was just pulling your chain with Horton. Yeah, although he didn't improve statistically he did play like a monster all the way up until that concussion in the playoffs after getting trading. But, he also did not want to be here and asked to be dealt so being able to get Bjugs for him was a big bonus!
Good point, agreed.

Horton might actually still be here if he hadn't asked for a trade. I agree, can't wait to watch Bjugstad in a Panthers jersey!

Old
02-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPanther View Post
What happens to Ellerbyfan4?

Name change or do we lose her to the LA KINGS in the trade too??

This is a bit of a SHCKER trade, hockey is a business and a 5th round is better than nothing. Theres been tons of gems found after the 4th round. As most have stated, nobody is willing to take on Kuba's contract.

I liked the grit Ellerby brought this year with a couple fights but maybe he was unhappy with the amount of minutes he was playing?? You never know whats going on behind the scenes. We need Kuba, Weaver and Jovo for veteran leadership, they may not impress everyone all the time but theyre mentors when it comes down to it.

This moves gives Robak or Petrovic an opportunity and I remember hearing Dineen say he was impressed with Petro. Robak has alredy seen NHL game action so why not let these two get a "chance" which Ellerby had numerous times.

Wish him well in LA, I'm surprised with the trade but not upset about it, I feel Tallon could have haggled for a 4th but maybe we see a deal with LA at the deadline in April?? You scratch my back and ill stratch yours kinda deal......

I also noticed Rob Scuderi is a UFA this year. Kuba for Scuderi.
Yes please! At this point I'd rather put Goldie out there in place of Kuba as bad as he's been!

Old
02-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Gah, dammit I'm one of the few who liked Ellerby but it's done with I guess. I think the Kings got a steal but I guess that's all anyone was willing to give. We better sign Strachan for more than just one year now or this is just stupid.

About the people knocking 5th round picks though, Benn and Quick were 5th round picks. Corban Knight was a 5th and he looks promising. ANY pick is valuable. I don't really like making a habit of quoting Bill Lindsay, but he's right when he says sometimes it's not about where you get picked in the draft, you just have to get picked.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:11 PM
p9ers

I guess it was the best Tallon could get for Ellerby. It's a shame though, I would have prefer Jovo or Kuba to be waived/benched/amnesty. (pipe dream I know)

p9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:11 PM
floridashawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbranson4Prez View Post
What a joke of a trade.
Elaborate how you are smarter at hockey than Dale Tallon.

floridashawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:13 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Yeah Higgins was probably the only one that has though (put up 43 pts last yr with Vancouver). Thats not to say that he hasnt lost any trades though...several of his deals at the draft havent been that good IMO.

I just updated Tallon's trade history just so everyone can see what he's done so far:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1016897

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Gah, dammit I'm one of the few who liked Ellerby but it's done with I guess. I think the Kings got a steal but I guess that's all anyone was willing to give. We better sign Strachan for more than just one year now or this is just stupid.

About the people knocking 5th round picks though, Benn and Quick were 5th round picks. Corban Knight was a 5th and he looks promising. ANY pick is valuable. I don't really like making a habit of quoting Bill Lindsay, but he's right when he says sometimes it's not about where you get picked in the draft, you just have to get picked.
lol, I was also on the like Ellerby bandwagon but something had to give on D after Guds comeback because of Strachan's great play so far this season. I just figured we'd get a better return or that he would be part of a package deal to get us a top 6forward.

Has it really come to this.....Never thought I'd see the day someone would be quoting Lindsay as a positive thing!

Old
02-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Yeah Higgins was probably the only one that has though (put up 43 pts last yr with Vancouver). Thats not to say that he hasnt lost any trades though...several of his deals at the draft havent been that good IMO.

I just updated Tallon's trade history just so everyone can see what he's done so far:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1016897
Meh, I guess. I was more referring to the Horton's, Booth's, Frolik's, Ballard's, etc. of the world. Young players who outsiders, at the time of the trades, thought needed a change of scenery to fulfill their potential.

It's worth noting that Tallon was the one who gave Higgins the chance to resurrect his career, to begin with. At the time he signed here, just about everyone thought he was washed up.