HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ellerby- keep him or trade him?: edit: TRADED TO KINGS FOR 5TH RD PICK

Old
02-08-2013, 03:19 PM
PensFan6687

vCash: 500
So does Petrovic get called up?

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:21 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
lol, I was also on the like Ellerby bandwagon but something had to give on D after Guds comeback because of Strachan's great play so far this season. I just figured we'd get a better return or that he would be part of a package deal to get us a top 6forward.

Has it really come to this.....Never thought I'd see the day someone would be quoting Lindsay as a positive thing!
I thought a better pick but not part of a package. Keep in mind, that we will be getting a top 6 forward around the trade deadline when Andrei Kostitsyn's season in the KHL is over as a free agent instead of needing to trade an asset at the deadline for one.

Count me as another person expecting Strachan to get extended thanks to his solid play and ability to fill a bottom pairing role right now. I figure he'll be basically getting a similar deal (though it was done in 1 yr increments) as Ellerby, around 2 yrs for $750K/yr.

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:21 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Meh, I guess. I was more referring to the Horton's, Booth's, Frolik's, Ballard's, etc. of the world. Young players who outsiders, at the time of the trades, thought needed a change of scenery to fulfill their potential.

It's worth noting that Tallon was the one who gave Higgins the chance to resurrect his career, to begin with. At the time he signed here, just about everyone thought he was washed up.
yeah, just like he did with Flash(technically since nobody wanted to take the risk) last year and Mueller so far this year, and hopefully AK by seasons end......yeah sry I was on a roll and just threw him in there hoping.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:24 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
Not unless another injury occurs. Jovo is back in FL resting a banged up knee right now but expected back next week. We already had 7 guys traveling with the team so no need to call anyone up. Petrovic will probably get a few looks next yr but not on the roster just yet due to the depth of the team right now. Robak could also get a call up if injuries happen and they have Caruso who's injured right now but got a chance to play in 2 NHL games this season.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
I thought a better pick but not part of a package. Keep in mind, that we will be getting a top 6 forward around the trade deadline when Andrei Kostitsyn's season in the KHL is over as a free agent instead of needing to trade an asset at the deadline for one.

Count me as another person expecting Strachan to get extended thanks to his solid play and ability to fill a bottom pairing role right now. I figure he'll be basically getting a similar deal (though it was done in 1 yr increments) as Ellerby, around 2 yrs for $750K/yr.
didn't see Kostitsyn was confirmed to be joining us. Missed that one. Was really thinking DT would make a run at Ryan at the deadline. Guess not if AK will be joing us too. Who's odd man out when he comes? maybe a 2 for 1 trade will happen?

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:30 PM
CanadianPanther
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Gah, dammit I'm one of the few who liked Ellerby but it's done with I guess. I think the Kings got a steal but I guess that's all anyone was willing to give. We better sign Strachan for more than just one year now or this is just stupid.

About the people knocking 5th round picks though, Benn and Quick were 5th round picks. Corban Knight was a 5th and he looks promising. ANY pick is valuable. I don't really like making a habit of quoting Bill Lindsay, but he's right when he says sometimes it's not about where you get picked in the draft, you just have to get picked.
Halak (271st in '03)
Elliot (291st in '03)
BOND!!!......RA.....PETER BONDRA (8th round in '90)
Federov (4th round in '89)
Rinne (9th round in '04)
Alfredsson (6th round in '94)
Robitaille (9th round in '84)
Gilmour (7th round in '82)
Brett Hull (6th round in '84)
Hasek (10th round in '83)
Lundqvist (8th round in 2000) DiPietro was #1 ....OUCH!!!
Datsyuk (6th round in '98)

annnnd some guy named
....ZET....ZETTER....BERG??? never heard of him (8th round in '99)

Hopefully you get my point and hopefully Tallon has his metal detector working in this year's draft and snags a gem like any of the others listed above.

CanadianPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:33 PM
RampageNate
HFB Partner

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
Petro is week to week with a lower body injury. Not with the team this weekend and could be out another 2 weeks after that.

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:33 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
didn't see Kostitsyn was confirmed to be joining us. Missed that one. Was really thinking DT would make a run at Ryan at the deadline. Guess not if AK will be joing us too. Who's odd man out when he comes? maybe a trade will happen?
Yeah its in the AKost thread that he confirmed it that the Panthers worked out a deal with Traktor that he'll sign with the Panthers once his season is finished. No chance we take a run at Ryan unless we end up paying a huge price that isnt worth it (think Kulikov + Bjugstad at least). However, yes a trade will most likely happen around the deadline to move a roster player out since we're currently carrying 14 forwards not suspended (including an injured Upshall). Not sure who that will be though but I would hope its Kovalev if we're bringing in AKost.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPanther View Post
Halak (271st in '03)
Elliot (291st in '03)
Rinne (9th round in '04)

annnnd some guy named

Hopefully you get my point and hopefully Tallon has his metal detector working in this year's draft and snags a gem like any of the others listed above.
Yep, I'll never understand when people could care less about any pick that isn't a 3rd round or higher.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
lol, I was also on the like Ellerby bandwagon but something had to give on D after Guds comeback because of Strachan's great play so far this season. I just figured we'd get a better return or that he would be part of a package deal to get us a top 6forward.

Has it really come to this.....Never thought I'd see the day someone would be quoting Lindsay as a positive thing!
Lol sooner or later he has to say something that makes sense.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Santos said too many one way contracts. GR added the thinks Ellerby would still be with the team if they didn't have to pay Santorelli 1mill to play in the AHL.
It's really sad that we trade a former top ten pick for peanuts because we have to pay a NHL salary to Santorelli to play in the AHL. Would someone with some money PLEASE BUY THIS TEAM!!!

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:02 PM
TheEkbombIsReal
Paaaaaanthers

My thoughts about the trade -

Was Ellerby ever a impact player? No.
Was he a good defenseman? Mostly, yes.
Is he replaceable? Definitely
Would I have seen Jovo or Kuba moved instead? Yes, but realistically, that wont happen even if we gave them away for free. And we need mentors for our younger players.
Could we have gotten more than a 5th round pick? Maybe, but time is money and he had to be moved quick. Guddy ain't going back to the AHL.

All in all, sad to see Ellerby leave. Can't say I'm angry or sad though. A 5th round pick ain't too bad, might be lucky and catch a new Zetterberg.

TheEkbombIsReal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
What happens to Ellerbyfan4?

Name change or do we lose her to the LA KINGS in the trade too???
Ellerbyfan4, we hardly knew ye.

Old
AaronEkbald

Quote:
Of all the guys Tallon has traded, did anyone go to another team and improve?
Grabner improved. That's it.

IMO, Horton and Campbell are in a great position, being on a team with solid depth and skill. Wouldn't say they improved.

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JP Mick
Two Gallants

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
Im not upset that he was traded, but I would have liked more in return. Oh well, I trust in DT. More time for Strachan I guess who I really like and think has played better than Ellerby.
This is exactly how I feel.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:11 PM
AaronEkbald

Quote:
Good point, agreed.

Horton might actually still be here if he hadn't asked for a trade. I agree, can't wait to watch Bjugstad in a Panthers jersey!
Oh yeah.

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:11 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

Quote:
Halak (271st in '03)
Elliot (291st in '03)
Rinne (9th round in '04)

annnnd some guy named

just some quick math, youve gone back to 82, so thats 30 years of draft history, youve picked guys from the 4th to 9th rounds, which is about 150 picks. thats 4500 draft picks, but my math might be a lil off, so lets say 4000 draft picks. you got a list of 13 guys, so your sucess rate is .00325%. so im not terribly excited about an extra 5th.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Erick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
It's really sad that we trade a former top ten pick for peanuts because we have to pay a NHL salary to Santorelli to play in the AHL. Would someone with some money PLEASE BUY THIS TEAM!!!
You say it like that matters now.

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:19 PM
PantherboyHTR
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
just some quick math, youve gone back to 82, so thats 30 years of draft history, youve picked guys from the 4th to 9th rounds, which is about 150 picks. thats 4500 draft picks, but my math might be a lil off, so lets say 4000 draft picks. you got a list of 13 guys, so your sucess rate is .00325%. so im not terribly excited about an extra 5th.
The thing is, those weren't Tallon's picks, so its kind of irrelavent.

Like I posted before, check out his gems from his 3 year in Florida already:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR
I really think DT likes to choose his own players, especially in the draft. I think it would of taken too long to work our a deal for a guy already in the AHL. We had 8 D, something had to give soon.

Dales late round picks are noticeable since his first draft (2010):

5th round pick was Zach Hyman, but a 4th that seems good was Sam Brittain, goalie at the University of Denver. He has good numbers.

Our 5th was Yaroslav Kosov, who played for the Russia World Jr's this year. The games I saw he looked real good. He sarted playing in the KHL as a 18 yr old last season, and put up a few points.

Didn't have a 5th rounder, but our 6th was Francis Beauvillier, who plays in the QMJHL. He was one of the last cuts for Team Canada's World Jr team this year and has 53 points in 51 games this year.

Tallon drafts like someone this organization has never seen. I am comfortable with getting a 5th in this trade.

In Tallon I trust..

PantherboyHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Boooooth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
I think this is what pisses me off the most about this trade. The owners are so incredibly cheap.

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Meh, just shows that there are diamonds to be found. And he chose top their players, not important blue collar guys.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
I think this is what pisses me off the most about this trade. The owners are so incredibly cheap.
He had to either be waived or traded, no team has 8 guys up.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Erick*

How does this have anything to do with being cheap?

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:36 PM
Boooooth10

Quote:
How does this have anything to do with being cheap?
I just got home so I'm just now looking through GR's tweets and in one of them he says this:

#FlaPanthers would likely still have Keaton Ellerby, in my opinion, had they not been paying Mike Santorelli his $1 mil to play in AHL

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:37 PM
gizmo12688
#CatsAreComing

Would have liked to get more for him, but it beats losing him for nothing in waivers.

And him being a former 1 round pick means nothing when you have never shown signs of playing like one. I'd rather see Strachan play and he was a 5th rounder.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote