HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eakins: Marlies' Hamilton knocking on Leafs' door

Old
01-29-2013, 03:47 PM
darty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
You know most of them probably aren't 27 year old journeymen when it happens, right?
Eakins just said in that article that all players develop at different speeds and thinks Hamilton has what it takes to make the NHL. I think I'll take Eakins' opinion of players over HF Board posters who automatically categorize any guy in the AHL over 25 as never going to be good enough for the big league.

Not targeting you specifically Vocanologist, just think people on here are way too close minded about the value a slightly older player could potentially have for our team.

darty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:21 PM
zeke
#freewilly

I'd have no problem with Hamilton being in the mix for a 4th line spot.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I'd be okay with Hamilton up playing bottom 6.

I know Brown will fight and is fast and well he is fast and will fight.
Am I the only other person that thinks that?

Brown is just a zero offense guy.

Look at a player like Shawn Thornton, he's capable of playing good and providing that little bit of offense that helps teams once every few games.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:28 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Hamilton is much better than Steckel, Orr, or Brown.

He's huge, hits, grinds, and has some offensive upside. He'd be a very good 4th liner IMO.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:37 PM
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post

Look at a player like Shawn Thornton, he's capable of playing good and providing that little bit of offense that helps teams once every few games.
Shawn Thornton isn't that much better offensively.

12345* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:38 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

hamilton will be a leaf if a few more forwards get hurt
i didnt realize he was 6'2 230
38 18 9 27
he's hitting his prime at age 27
i'd like to see him get a chance
i'm losing faith in komarov

p.l.f. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:41 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
Shawn Thornton isn't that much better offensively.
Thornton have 0.16 PPG in his NHL career.

Brown have 0.10 PPG in his.

Not that much of a difference. And Thornton did not start to "produce" until he ended up with Boston.

Keep Brown, I like him and he fits the team perfectly as a 4th liner speedy enforcer.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:41 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post

It's been encouraging to see Carlyle already not treating Brown like an everyday player.

Brown is a decent energy guy who might have a place as an extra forward, but he should never be guarantee a starting spot on any team.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:50 PM
daveleaf

Another fourth liner. This team is filled with third and fourth line guys. Not sure how giving him 6 minutes a game will make us any better. This team needs top end talent then the roster will sort itself out. Bozak on a good team is a third line centre and a very good one. MacArthur is really a third line guy.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:56 PM
BernierNo1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Hamilton couldn't possibly be any worse than MacA/Brown/Stekel
You can't be serious.

What MacArthur has done to draw so much ire I will never know.

BernierNo1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:00 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
It's been encouraging to see Carlyle already not treating Brown like an everyday player.

Brown is a decent energy guy who might have a place as an extra forward, but he should never be guarantee a starting spot on any team.
4th best hitter on the team last season. With his speed and energy and that he dont mind dropping the gloves makes him a perfect 4th liner. He averaged about 8 minutes per game when he and Carlyle was at Anaheim. He only plays about 4.5 minutes per game for us this season but then we have a deeper team then Anaheim had then and he does not play the PK as he did for the Ducks.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:04 PM
Buddio
CFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
We have enough AHL's on the roster (e.g. Kadri). Then again they may be effective for another week or two while the rest of the league gets their legs back after the lockout.
If Kadri has been AHl quality this season, what does that make Kessel?

Buddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:05 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
4th best hitter on the team last season. With his speed and energy and that he dont mind dropping the gloves makes him a perfect 4th liner. He averaged about 8 minutes per game when he and Carlyle was at Anaheim. He only plays about 4.5 minutes per game for us this season but then we have a deeper team then Anaheim had then and he does not play the PK as he did for the Ducks.
We need Brown and Orr on this team. You need some guys that can drop the gloves and keep people and teams honest. What a sham it was last year with Wilson.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:08 PM
Doug Gilmour
Leafer Since '95

Quote:
Originally Posted by darty View Post
Eakins just said in that article that all players develop at different speeds and thinks Hamilton has what it takes to make the NHL. I think I'll take Eakins' opinion of players over HF Board posters who automatically categorize any guy in the AHL over 25 as never going to be good enough for the big league.

Not targeting you specifically Vocanologist, just think people on here are way too close minded about the value a slightly older player could potentially have for our team.
Every player develops differently and at different times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Hamilton is much better than Steckel, Orr, or Brown.

He's huge, hits, grinds, and has some offensive upside. He'd be a very good 4th liner IMO.
I think it might be time to bring Hamilton up for bottom 6 duties and see what develops, send Komarov to the fourth line with Brown and McClement and then send Steckel packing.

Hamilton - Kadri - Frattin
Komarov - McClement - Brown
Orr (13th forward)

Doug Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:52 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by darty View Post

Meh. The success rate of this type of story is extremely low. It's vastly more probable that there's a good reason Hamilton hasn't cracked the NHL at 27 years old. Usually when that happens it's because the player simply isn't good enough.

But who knows, maybe he's a diamond in the rough who will buck the odds. useful bottom 6 players are not something the Leafs are blessed with in great quantity.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Hamilton couldn't possibly be any worse than MacA/Brown/Stekel

So why not - might as well lay your cards down - see where they lay. We've been rolling with basically the same roster for 4 years now and you all know the results.

Reset this piece of **** team.
brown/steckel? arguable. macarthur? You must be out of your mind. Hamilton has never even had 60 points in the AHL let alone NHL

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:16 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Give him the Kostka honeymoon suite, 10 games playing with the top line and then judge him.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:49 AM
leafspring*

The snubs on players because they are AHL'ers is this thread/other threads is giving me a good picture of what were dealing with here.Its so hard to take posters serious that constantly minimize the NHL's premier developement league.

Hamilton's knock has always been his skating being a big man,and its better,not great. He is smart,and very well versed at positioning.Eakins knows what he is talkin about here.

He is very close,and would work good with McClement.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:06 AM
crkkh

Would be wonderful to see Ryan Hamilton on the 4th line next year...He and McClement would give a bit of a scoring touch to the line...
Ryan has good leadership qualities, a good work ethic, maturity and size...
Would certainly help make the 4th line more competitive...
He certainly is not a smurf...

May see him as early as the trade deadline if we move a forward or 2 for picks...

crkkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:01 AM
Drakkor

IMO Depends on the trade value of Steckel and Brown. If you can get something of value you move them and bring in Hamilton. I'm loving the loss of recall waivers.

Drakkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:19 AM
The Iceman

Anytime a guy is given the "C" at the AHL level you have yourself a solid pro.
The fact that he has shown he can score at the AHL level, was a big part of the top PK in the AHL and is 220+ lbs tells me he would be a valued member of the Leafs.
Big, grinding, tough checker that works hard and paid his dues should be welcomed to the team.

But I also think the team should have bit the bullet and called up Conolly to play on the top line with Kessel.
Would have kept JVR with Grabs and NK where he is a better fit.

The Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:59 PM
Interactif

The thing I notice about an Eakins coached team, if you make it close to a PPG, you are likely close to the NHL. Stats are not inflated playing for Dallas.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:37 AM
LEAFSIN4

brown sucks... hasn't really done anything to impact any of the games. i'd swap hamilton with him and see where it goes

LEAFSIN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:00 AM
Joey Hoser

I like Hamilton, but replacing Brown with him wouldn't make the slightest difference to the Leafs fortunes.

I can hardly care. Probably better off letting him be a veteran leader for the prospect pool on the Marlies.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:13 AM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
I like Hamilton, but replacing Brown with him wouldn't make the slightest difference to the Leafs fortunes.

I can hardly care. Probably better off letting him be a veteran leader for the prospect pool on the Marlies.
Hamilton is 9th leading goal scorer in the AHL,and just picked up a nice honour at the AHL all-star game. You don't care much anyways about anything apparently.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote