HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Penguins need another top 4 defenseman

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 03:06 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

vCash: 500
As someone who is not scared of losing a playoff spot despite major reservations about our coach, starting goalie etc. I honestly don't think Niskanen's injury is without its benefits.

It will mean significant minutes for Despres and that should either make it possible for him to acclimate to the extent that he can be a third pairing player in the playoffs, or it will increase his value for an eventual trade.
If Lovejoy got injured tonight, we get to see Bortuzzo which is fine for the same reasons.

Ultimately, never mind if the kids do well or not, I hope to see a top4 UFA rental signed at the deadline, because the OP is right that we have loads of talent to populate the third pairing with interesting players plus Engelland, but our top pairings are not very complementary at all... even if Niskanen could by now qualify as a top4 D-man on many teams.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:23 AM
Sjb141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
As someone who is not scared of losing a playoff spot despite major reservations about our coach, starting goalie etc. I honestly don't think Niskanen's injury is without its benefits.

It will mean significant minutes for Despres and that should either make it possible for him to acclimate to the extent that he can be a third pairing player in the playoffs, or it will increase his value for an eventual trade.
If Lovejoy got injured tonight, we get to see Bortuzzo which is fine for the same reasons.

Ultimately, never mind if the kids do well or not, I hope to see a top4 UFA rental signed at the deadline, because the OP is right that we have loads of talent to populate the third pairing with interesting players plus Engelland, but our top pairings are not very complementary at all... even if Niskanen could by now qualify as a top4 D-man on many teams.

Yea I agree 100%.

I think we need a defenseman just as badly as a top pairing winger. Our 3rd pairing has been brutal.

Part of me also has a feeling we're really trying to market some of our guys like lovejoy and tangradi.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:13 PM
KHstrike

Is Scuderi available?

I personally believe we need a top defensive defenseman over a winger. A guy that can work the front of the net and stop the passes from going right through the net front area. None of our guys can currently do that well. Would that take giving up some big assets? Sure, but it is such a pressing need.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:30 PM
Jacob

We don't need *another* top 4 d-man, however, I'd be interested in swapping one of our smallish puck movers (Martin or Niskanen) for a big, gritty stay at home type (like a Volchenkov or Regehr).

And if Eaton looks like even a fraction of his former self, I'd bring him in and waive Lovejoy.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:39 PM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjb141 View Post
Yea I agree 100%.

I think we need a defenseman just as badly as a top pairing winger. Our 3rd pairing has been brutal.

Part of me also has a feeling we're really trying to market some of our guys like lovejoy and tangradi.
I don't know about the pens marketing Tangradi. He was a healthy scratch last game, he isn't really bring showcased. If he's not scratched he plays on the fourth line. They aren't showcasing him, they are just stuck with a pathetic group of wingers.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:44 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
We don't need *another* top 4 d-man, however, I'd be interested in swapping one of our smallish puck movers (Martin or Niskanen) for a big, gritty stay at home type (like a Volchenkov or Regehr).
Agreed. I'd trade Niskanen because he is playing well, still youngish and on a good contract, hence will likely have more trade value than Martin. Moreover he is never going to be the right fit on a top 4 that already has Letang ahead of him. Nothing against Nisky, but that fact remains.

Orpik Letang
Martin Regehr
Despres Engelland

Of course it doesn't really matter who is on D if the system we play is an abomination.

Quote:
And if Eaton looks like even a fraction of his former self, I'd bring him in and waive Lovejoy.
No. We have to integrate our young D-men little by little. Otherwise we are just burning those assets and as they are pretty much the only ones we have that would be a disaster. Despres is ready, at least for regular season play, and if he isn't getting the regular season action he won't even be an option for the playoffs.

Last edited by Tender Rip: 01-30-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old
01-30-2013, 09:59 PM
theicebox
#MonixWatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHstrike View Post
Is Scuderi available?
Yeah, unfortunately, his name was Strait.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:38 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjb141 View Post
Yea I agree 100%.

That's because unless Lovejoy/Engelland play a great game, and the forwards support them, they don't have the ability to make up for their mistakes.

We have other defensemen in the system who we need to play. Especially before we use assets to acquire another D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theicebox View Post
Yeah, unfortunately, his name was Strait.
Yeah, pretty much.

"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Old
01-31-2013, 12:51 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:

Yeah, Regehr seems like an ideal rental for us if Buffalo falls out of it. He's a big mean lefty to put with Letang

Regehr Letang
Orpik Martin
Niskanen/Despres Engelland
Bortuzzo

I can definitely see where Niskanen becomes expendable in that lineup unless Despres either doesn't progress or is moved as a piece in a trade to get Sid a winger.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:07 AM
TheGoldenJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
We need secondary scoring more.
Bingo!

Old
01-31-2013, 01:31 AM
Malkinstheman

Can anybody tell me the type of game bortuzzo plays? He has size but is he strong and mean like reghr or even volchenkov?

Closed Thread