HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rate the lower prospects

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2005, 12:58 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

vCash: 500
Rate the lower prospects

Last night I was watching some college hockey and saw C.Potter and J.Crabb playing against each other and it had me curious to what are some of the NYR's lower prospects ranked out to be for the future. Its always talk and comparisons of HF's top 20 or the peopel top 20 or what ever. I would like to see peoples out looks on the ones who are not on the top 20 list, who has futures as NHL'ers and who doesnt what kind of plyer can they become point wise , even comparisons to current NHL'ers if they can compare to any one.

Obviousley this all based on opinion, but would be interesting to see what else NYR has out there.

If there is anyone missing that you like to mention or give an opinion about please do so.

Patrick Aufiero, D
Zdenek Bahensky, C
Dane Byers, LW
Ryan Callahan, RW
Joey Crabb, RW
Brandon Dubinsky, C
Lee Falardeau, C
Rob Flynn, RW
Jordan Foote, LW
Philippe Furrer, D
Nathan Guenin, D
Chris Holt, G
Greg Moore, RW
Jonathan Paiement, D
Corey Potter, D
Roman Psurny, Lw
Billy Ryan, C
Leonid Zhvachin, D

Old
03-19-2005, 01:24 PM
NYRangers

These are the guys I know, the others I haven't seen or heard about.

Dane Byers, LW - Possible Enforcer
Ryan Callahan, RW - 3rd liner / PKer / Leader
Brandon Dubinsky, C - Too Early
Lee Falardeau, C - 3rd/4th liner
Philippe Furrer, D - Depth (NHL) Defensemen
Chris Holt, G - Backup
Greg Moore, RW - Solid 3rd liner
Jonathan Paiement, D - Too early to tell
Roman Psurny, LW - Too early to tell
Billy Ryan, C - Too Early

Guys like Psurny play great in the CHL but I need to see them suceed at a higher level to make an assesment.

I really like Moore and Callahan. They will probabaly be only 3rd liners but I think they will be above average 3rd liners.

Old
03-19-2005, 01:33 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Is Aufiero even still Ranger property?

Old
03-19-2005, 01:56 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Is Aufiero even still Ranger property?
nah he was signed to providence but put up ok numbers and then got cut. I was hoping Pack would sign him for depth on D. He is still young and can maybe still make it. Its unlikely but their is always a chance.

Old
03-19-2005, 05:46 PM
Fish

Patrick Aufiero, D - No longer Rangers property

Zdenek Bahensky, C - Started hot, Maloney likes him but has cooled significantly. Appears he gets used some on the PK, but I haven't seen him play.

Dane Byers, LW - Defensive minded forward with an edge. I never liked this selection so anything I say will probably be biased against him. I don't see much NHL future for him.

Ryan Callahan, RW - Grinding forward who plays a little like a poor man's Mike York or perhaps even an Adam Graves. Doesn't have tremendous offensive skills, but makes up for it with his determination.

Joey Crabb, RW - Similar to Callahan, and is also a good skater. I like Crabb, but I don't see him being much more than a 3rd liner, he just doesn't have that offensive creativity in my mind that will serve him well at the NHL level.

Brandon Dubinsky, C - Had a slow start to the season, but has regained his form from last year. Got voted recently as most irritating player in the WHL, and plays with an edge. He's more like Hollweg, but with a little better offensive ability IMO.

Lee Falardeau, C - Skates well for a big guy and certainly has size. He just doesn't have the intensity and he has lousy hands by NHL standards...a softish shot with little creativity again in the offensive zone.

Rob Flynn, RW - Grinder with IMO no chance of ever making the NHL...maybe not even the AHL. Started the year not even being able to crack the Harvard line up consistently.

Jordan Foote, LW - I'm not sure, but I believe Foote has been a healthy scratch for perhaps the worst team in the WCHA. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Philippe Furrer, D - Free skating defenseman who handles the puck well and uses the body at times. Could use a little more discipline, and would like to come over and play in the NCAA. Furrer proved himself this year after missing last year due to injury, and could be an outside chance at an NHL spot.

Nathan Guenin, D - I like Guenin, he plays with an edge and has shown some good skating and offensive skills in the last couple of years on a very good OSU squad. He's not a certainty for an NHL spot, but I think he has a good shot if he can add a little beef to offset the move to the pro level.

Chris Holt, G - Big goalie who has actually shown some maturity this year that I didn't think he had. He's a fairly economical goaltender in terms of his movements, and might make it as a back up in the NHL, I think he's still a little too undisciplined at this stage of his career, but maybe some maturity will help.

Greg Moore, RW - The type of guy who works hard in every game at both ends of the rink. He doesn't have a great shot or offensive skills, but he does take the shots and skates well. Some of the best plays I've seen him make have actually been on the defensive end of the ice...I see him being very similar to a Rem Murray kind of player.

Jonathan Paiement, D - I haven't seen Paiement play, but from what I've been told he's not particularly great at anything, and he certainly has benefitted from a lot of secondary assists on goals in Lewiston. The expectation from the people I've asked is that he'd make a solid AHL d-man.

Corey Potter, D - I happen to also like Potter, he's not flashy and often gets overlooked because of it. MSU's bad start coincided with the loss of Potter to injury at the beginning of the season, and started to come right when he returned. He was also Coach Eaves' go to guy on defense for the US gold medal squad at the U20s two years ago.

Roman Psurny, Lw - I have a Tigers fan post over at my website pretty frequently who is very high on Psurny. Says he's the kind of guy who battles for the puck and won't step back.

Billy Ryan, C - I think Ryan is one of the few Ranger prospects that has natural offensive talent. He is creative in the offensive zone, has good instincts and handles the puck well. He's been part of a solid "kid" line for the Black Bears this year and I actually expect him to be a guy we want to watch.

Leonid Zhvachin, D - Returned to Russia and has no hope of returning to North America as a pro...played a handful of games for Krylia of the Russian Western League (I think that's how it translates) before disappearing either from injury or otherwise.

Old
03-19-2005, 06:18 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Fish good work and thanks. Seems like Billy ryan is the only possible top 6 fwd, so NYR should be making some solid picks this year hopefully top 6 fwd guys .

Old
03-19-2005, 06:28 PM
Onion Boy

I'm also curious about Dylan Reese. I've read good things, though I haven't seen him play yet. I have the Harvard-Colgate ECAC semifinal game on tape which I'll get to sometime next week.

From what I've seen from Callahan, he reminds me alot of Ortmeyer to be quite frank, though he might be better offensively, but not by much.

You should also add Petruzalek. He is small, but he plays feisty and has good offensive instincts. I'm doubtful that his productino relies entirely on playing with Kaspar. As far as his size is concerned, when watching him play games, he doesn't look all that small to me.

I like Greg Moore alot, but like Fish I am doubtful of his offensive production. He has a pro body and is a good defensive player though.

I happen to like Furrer quite a bit, though I've only seen him twice. I think he has more than a outside shot of making the NHL. He seems to me, anyway, to be on par with some of our current collegiate defensemen.

I like Potter, but I've worried about his footspeed every time I've seen him, though other people have disagreed.

Old
03-20-2005, 01:15 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

I like this Dubinsky kid. He reminds me of Matthew Barnaby/Darcy Tucker type. I also like Callahan and Crabb. I hope Crabb gets signed this summer and assigned either to Charlotte or Hartford. On D, I like Potter, Guenin and Reese.

Old
03-20-2005, 01:29 AM
nyr5186

Is Jonathan Paiement by any chance related to Wilf?

Old
03-20-2005, 03:16 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr4life5186
Is Jonathan Paiement by any chance related to Wilf?
I don't know who Wilf is but I've heard that question before and he was not related!

Old
03-20-2005, 07:44 AM
Fletch

Thanks Fish...

with no NHL season, I really wish I had an opportunity to see these guys actually play more. Oh well.

Old
03-21-2005, 07:40 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Greg Moore, RW - The type of guy who works hard in every game at both ends of the rink. He doesn't have a great shot or offensive skills, but he does take the shots and skates well. Some of the best plays I've seen him make have actually been on the defensive end of the ice...I see him being very similar to a Rem Murray kind of player.
he seems to be a pretty smart player from what i've seen too. nothing extremely flashy but one goal he scored stands out in my mind because of the way he made it happen...he got the puck and skated around behind the opposing net and up the boards, drawing the D up, and then dropped it off nicely to another forward skating back down the boards, who went to set up a good scoring chance...meanwhile moore circled back around and down the slot and got the rebound and popped it in the net. like i said, nothing fancy but it was just very well executed and a great play on his part

Quote:
You should also add Petruzalek. He is small, but he plays feisty and has good offensive instincts. I'm doubtful that his productino relies entirely on playing with Kaspar. As far as his size is concerned, when watching him play games, he doesn't look all that small to me.
well he is outscoring kaspar by a pretty good margin and leads his team in points (or at least did, i'm not sure lately where he's at, but it's up there) and from everything i've heard he looks really good out there and has great "hockey sense". of course the drawback is his size...but we'll see, seems like he's got some really good offensive skills and if he can overcome the size issue then the rangers might have something...

Old
03-21-2005, 08:06 AM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Greg Moore seems like he has the body and the determination to play at the NHL level but his production hasn't been spectulcar. I want him to go to the NHL but realisticly I see him as a solid AHL player who will get called up for injuies at the NHL.

Jonathan Paiement has been a little dissapointing here in Lewiston. He finished the season with 62 points but only about 15 has been goals. I think he will be back in Lewiston for next year where his fate will be determined as an AHL or NHL player. One of the reasons he has been dissappointment this season because he wanted out of Lewiston and didn't play to his level.

Old
03-21-2005, 10:24 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
I don't know who Wilf is but I've heard that question before and he was not related!
Wilf Paiement played in the 1970's and 1980's.I remember him in Quebec with the Statsny brothers and Michel Goulet.He played for the Rangers during their 1986 playoff run.When he played for the Rangers,his best days were behind him

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...pid%5B%5D=4114

Old
03-21-2005, 10:47 AM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
When he played for the Rangers,his best days were behind him.
Shocking.

Old
03-21-2005, 12:42 PM
saskhab

Bahensky gets tons of PK time. He's a very good hitter as well. Some around Saskatoon think he'll be better in the playoffs, but that's tough to tell. I don't fully subscribe to the gritty=good playoff performer stereotype

Old
03-21-2005, 12:56 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Psurny is a steal where the Rangers drafted him.

The kid has gotten better each game. At the begining of the season he played a bit on the second PP unit, whereas now he's playing on the first PP unit and the second PK unit.

He plays a lot bigger than his size and there have been times that when the Tigers were bitten with the injury bug he was playing on three lines. He's probably the best conditioned on the team and is probably tied or faster than Clarke MacArthur.

Old
03-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Levitate

thanks saskhab and ti-girl, always good to hear some more input on these guys

does bahensky take nights off sometimes? I seem to remember that consistancy or consistant effort was a knock on him...but i like the guy a lot from what i know...speed, hitting...hopefully he puts up points more consistantly next year but hey he has plenty of time to develop

Old
03-21-2005, 03:38 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
thanks saskhab and ti-girl, always good to hear some more input on these guys

does bahensky take nights off sometimes? I seem to remember that consistancy or consistant effort was a knock on him...but i like the guy a lot from what i know...speed, hitting...hopefully he puts up points more consistantly next year but hey he has plenty of time to develop

Yea I like Bahensky as well, but I also like Crabb. He has done well this year. I hope he gets signed to play in Hartford or Charlotte. One guy who is brutal is Mike Walsh. He has not done that much this year. I remember Sam Rosen and JD raving about him. I dont see anything special.

Closed Thread