HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Does Tim Connolly = Waiver wire?

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2003, 12:29 PM
Ghost of Dale Hunter

vCash: 500
Does Tim Connolly = Waiver wire?

I am not condoning this, but is it a possiblility?

I asssume we could get something for him, but in the abscence of that, is it a possibility?

Old
09-22-2003, 12:52 PM
KillToronto

vCash:
Jesus, I hope not. If that happens, I can see someone like Colorado picking him up, putting him on a line with Hejduk, and Connolly scores 20 goals and 40 assists.

Old
09-22-2003, 12:55 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
not a chance

Old
09-22-2003, 12:58 PM
bernsy74

No Chance in h-e-double hockey sticks.

Timmy is in for a good year. 22-31-53pts

Old
09-22-2003, 12:59 PM
Ghost of Dale Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernsy74
No Chance in h-e-double hockey sticks.

Timmy is in for a good year. 22-31-53pts

I hope so, but where does he play?

Old
09-22-2003, 01:59 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Dale Hunter
I hope so, but where does he play?

Is this really a legitimate concern? Are things going so bad for Connolly that he's in danger of not playing on one of the top three lines?

Old
09-22-2003, 03:50 PM
CelticSabre
aka MillerTime

I think they where trying him out on the RW against the Leafs

Old
09-22-2003, 04:02 PM
Peter Griffin

It would be a mistake to put Connolly on waivers after one poor season. That said, unless he can either learn how to play some defense or make a succesful transition to either wing, he'll have a hard time getting ice-time. Connolly isn't likely going to bypass either Drury or Briere on the depth, so his best bet is to switch to the wing.

Old
09-22-2003, 07:44 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
If the Satan dilemma is solved, and Connolly plays wing, I'd assume Brown centers the third line. With Connolly on wing, that'd force either Pyatt or Afinogenov to the fourth line, which I can't say I like.
Kotalik-Drury-Satan
Hecht-Briere-Dumont
Pyatt-Brown-Connolly
Mair-Begin-Afinogenov

Or maybe Pyatt on the fourth line, but I think both Pyatt and Afinogenov are in for good years, and I'd hate to see that squandered on the fourth line. I think I'd rather see Connolly on the third line than Brown. Neither are fourth line players, but I think Connolly is more a waste there. A fourth line of Mair, Begin, and Brown is a line of three centers, but it could be worked out.

Without Satan this is more workable (though you'd assume we'd get another forward in any deal involving Satan)
Pyatt-Drury-Kotalik
Hecht-Briere-Dumont
Afinogenov-Brown-Connolly ... hmm, Afinogenov plays right wing, too. Maybe him on the first line instead of Pyatt?
Peters/Boulton-Begin-Mair

Just thinking of these lines confuses the **** out of me. With Satan our line-up is stuffed. Without him, it is still stuffed. Poor Roy, working his little bottom off, has no hope of getting in here as things are. No regular room for our tough guy, whomever it may be. Depth is a good thing, but it is going to be hard juggling these guys.

Here is my stab at an opening night roster minus Satan, Boulton, and Connolly.

Pyatt-Drury-Kotalik
Hecht-Briere-Dumont
Brown-Roy-Afinogenov
Peters-Begin-Mair

I'd really like to hear some creative thoughts on this all... it isn't like this topic has been beaten to death or anything

Old
09-23-2003, 03:57 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Connolly has no chance in hell of being on waivers this year.

There are lots of places to use him. And we have an extra forward, so we can do the following:

Start:

Brown Drury Satan
Hecht Briere Dumont
Pyatt Connolly Afinogenov
Peters Begin Mair

Afinogenov plays like crap, so he sits, Kotalik dresses:

Brown Drury Satan
Hecht Briere Dumont
Pyatt Connolly Kotalik
Peters Begin Mair

Hecht plays like crap, so he sits and Afinogenov dresses:

Brown Drury Satan
Kotalik Briere Dumont
Peters Begin Mair

Connolly plays like crap, so Hecht dresses:

Brown Drury Satan
Kotalik Briere Dumont
Pyatt Hecht Afinogenov
Peters Begin Mair

I think this is a perfect team for Ruff to coach. Ruff's original style of motivation included a trip to the press box if you played like crap. And the Sabres performed under this arrangement. We have tons of guys who can play multiple positions:

Brown: LW/C
Drury: C/LW
Satan: RW/LW
Kotalik: LW/RW
Dumont: RW/LW
Hecht: LW/C/RW
Mair: C/RW

Old
09-23-2003, 05:24 AM
jpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALALALALALAFONTAINE
Brown Drury Satan
Hecht Briere Dumont
Peters Begin Mair

Afinogenov plays like crap, so he sits, Kotalik dresses:
Interesting idea, but my recollection is that Kotalik is firmly entrenched on Lindy's "fave" list. He'll have to play his way out of the lineup, or someone will REALLY have to play their brains out - Max, timmah, etc.

Let's also not forget the Roy is pushing very hard for a roster spot, and if he does stay in Buffalo should get more than 4th line minutes until he proves he doesn't deserve them. Otherwise send him to Rocha to get more ice.

Personally, I think the biggest mistake of the off season was signing Boulton to that fat contract. Peters looks to be pushing him out of his spot, but Regier won't be lucky enough to have someone claim Bolts off waivers and $660K is way too much to pay someone like him to skate for the Amerks.

Old
09-23-2003, 05:30 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Personally, I think the biggest mistake of the off season was signing Boulton to that fat contract. Peters looks to be pushing him out of his spot, but Regier won't be lucky enough to have someone claim Bolts off waivers and $660K is way too much to pay someone like him to skate for the Amerks.
Boulton only got $550,000 for this season according to NHLPA.com. The only regular forward from last season that's getting paid less this year is Mair at $483,000. If you count Begin as a regular it's 2 as he's going to make $400,000.

The guys that are getting severely overpaid this year are Pyatt and Connolly. But that's thanks to a CBA where even underachievers get 10% raises.

Old
09-23-2003, 05:33 AM
Slats432

If Connolly is doing that poorly, then the Oilers will take him off your hands for a 2nd rounder. It doesn't look like you need any forwards, and we don't have any blueliners, and you have 3 decent goaltenders......

Old
09-23-2003, 05:34 AM
jpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
Boulton only got $550,000 for this season according to NHLPA.com.
If you say so. I didn't check, but for some reason that higher number stuck in my head. Still too much to pay him to play for the Amerks, and given the push by younger kids to make the Sabres, Boulton is the most expendable.

Quote:
The guys that are getting severely overpaid this year are Pyatt and Connolly. But that's thanks to a CBA where even underachievers get 10% raises.
Rookie max is as rookie max does. Pyatt seems to be ready to earn his money, let's hope that Timmah is too.

Old
09-23-2003, 05:47 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
If you say so. I didn't check, but for some reason that higher number stuck in my head. Still too much to pay him to play for the Amerks, and given the push by younger kids to make the Sabres, Boulton is the most expendable.
Due to the number of years he's been a pro Boulton had to be qualified at around $750,000. But since he played in so few games last year the Sabres could, and did, qualify him with a 2 way deal.

To meet in the middle Boulton took less money and the Sabres gave him a 1 way deal.

Perhaps the Sabres figure that they could either trade boulton for a late round pick if Peters steps up or that worst cased he wouldn't clear waivers.

Or they are OK with just sending Peters down and going with Boulton as the enforcer again this year......

Old
09-23-2003, 09:24 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb
Interesting idea, but my recollection is that Kotalik is firmly entrenched on Lindy's "fave" list. He'll have to play his way out of the lineup, or someone will REALLY have to play their brains out - Max, timmah, etc.

Let's also not forget the Roy is pushing very hard for a roster spot, and if he does stay in Buffalo should get more than 4th line minutes until he proves he doesn't deserve them. Otherwise send him to Rocha to get more ice.

I'm not sure Kotalik is on any favorite list. He looked good before getting sent down last year before coming back later.

If Roy is ready, this roster needs to be unloaded of a player or two.

I don't think signing Boulton was that much of a mistake. He can always dress with Peters. Wait, that sounded kind of gay. Ruff can play both of them.

Old
09-23-2003, 07:45 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
I say get rid of Brown and Connolly, deal them, waiver them, whatever, just get them outta here, and this'll all work out nicely.

M Satan - C Drury - A Kotalik
J-P Dumont - D Briere - J Hecht
T Pyatt - D Roy - M Afinogenov
A Mair - S Begin - E Boulton/A Peters

Looks good to me....

Old
09-23-2003, 07:54 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSabre15
I say get rid of Brown and Connolly, deal them, waiver them, whatever, just get them outta here, and this'll all work out nicely.

M Satan - C Drury - A Kotalik
J-P Dumont - D Briere - J Hecht
T Pyatt - D Roy - M Afinogenov
A Mair - S Begin - E Boulton/A Peters

Looks good to me....
I could go with your roster and it's similiar to what I have in mind (though Kotalik and Hecht should switch to LW and the other two guys switch to RW).

I think I'd keep Brown though and let Roy develop in the AHL (no use in rushing him when I think Brown will be more than adequate on that third line since he is a quality third line centerman as it is).

As for sending Connolly packing...someone in Edmonton offered a 2nd rounder on the previous page. I'm tempted to ask where I sign up.

Old
09-24-2003, 04:07 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Connolly, Noronen and McKee for Comrie and Smith.

It's a good thing.

Drury/Comrie/Satan
Hecht/Briere/Dumont
Pyatt/Brown/Kotalik
Peters/Begin/Mair

Zhitnik/Smith
Kalinin/Tallinder
Campbell/Delmore

Biron
Miller

Old
09-24-2003, 04:27 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Connolly, Noronen and McKee for Comrie and Smith.
The Sabres would be taking on too much money if they want to stick with the $33 million payroll budget.

Connolly and Noronen combine to make about $1.8 million. Smith is making $2.3 million this year. Comrie will want more than the $2 million that McKee is looking for. And Miller will make a lot more than Noronen's $550,000 this year when you figure in the incentive bonus money because he's on a rookie deal. With Noronen the incentive money isn't there because his rookie deal is long gone.

From a hockey perspective I like the deal. I just think the money will kill it.

Old
09-24-2003, 05:39 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
The Sabres would be taking on too much money if they want to stick with the $33 million payroll budget.

Connolly and Noronen combine to make about $1.8 million. Smith is making $2.3 million this year. Comrie will want more than the $2 million that McKee is looking for. And Miller will make a lot more than Noronen's $550,000 this year when you figure in the incentive bonus money because he's on a rookie deal. With Noronen the incentive money isn't there because his rookie deal is long gone.

From a hockey perspective I like the deal. I just think the money will kill it.
I like your idea of simply flipping Comrie for someone else. Maybe Boynton? ($770K) If we could do that, our defense is solidified:

Zhitnik/Boynton
Tallinder/Smith
Kalinin/Delmore

If you flip Comrie for Boynton (unlikely, Boston has glut of forwards), you would definitely save cash:

-McKee ($1.6M)
-Connolly ($1.25M)
-Noronen ($.55M)
+Miller (?) (not counting bonuses)
+Boynton ($.77M)
+Smith ($2.3M)

You subtract roughly $400K, before adding Miller's salary.

How is Miller's incentive deal structured? On GP? And do incentives even count towards the $33M? I don't think they do, given that Drury has some incentives in his contract.

Old
09-24-2003, 07:25 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Boynton's holding out as a Group II RFA and I'm not sure what kind of money he's looking at. Plus, I'm not sure the B's would be looking to give up a defenseman to add a forward with their injury situation on the blueline.

Quote:
How is Miller's incentive deal structured? On GP? And do incentives even count towards the $33M? I don't think they do, given that Drury has some incentives in his contract.
Miller likely got a "model contract" type deal which has the incentives based on a number of statistical triggers. For goalies I'd assume they were GP, GAA, Save%, Wins, etc.

And I also think there is a two-tiered budget structure where they have a base salary budget and then a total payout number that they don't want to exceed.

And I'd guess that a lot of Drury's bonus money was tied to the Sabres making the playoffs. If that's the trigger, then the Sabres making the playoffs will more than pay for the bonus. But I doubt Golisano and crew want to get into a situation where they miss the playoffs and they have to pay millions in bonus money to boot.

Old
09-24-2003, 08:21 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Boynton's holding out as a Group II RFA and I'm not sure what kind of money he's looking at. Plus, I'm not sure the B's would be looking to give up a defenseman to add a forward with their injury situation on the blueline.

Miller likely got a "model contract" type deal which has the incentives based on a number of statistical triggers. For goalies I'd assume they were GP, GAA, Save%, Wins, etc.

And I also think there is a two-tiered budget structure where they have a base salary budget and then a total payout number that they don't want to exceed.

And I'd guess that a lot of Drury's bonus money was tied to the Sabres making the playoffs. If that's the trigger, then the Sabres making the playoffs will more than pay for the bonus. But I doubt Golisano and crew want to get into a situation where they miss the playoffs and they have to pay millions in bonus money to boot.
Didn't know about Boynton, but that would hurt any rationale in which to acquire him.

I think you are right with Drury's bonus. I get the idea that Golisano doesn't mind paying, as long as the performance is there. Same deal with Ruff's contract.

The real number is the total budget, which we have no idea about.

Old
09-24-2003, 01:44 PM
Amerk

[QUOTE]The Sabres would be taking on too much money if they want to stick with the $33 million payroll budget.

And Miller will make a lot more than Noronen's $550,000 this year when you figure in the incentive bonus money because he's on a rookie deal. QUOTE]

It wouldn't necessarily have to be Miller coming up, would it? If we believe in Biron enough to let Noronen go, would we trust Askey enough to play 10 or 15 games for the Sabres? That would still get Miller the work he probably needs in Rochester and bonus money would not be a factor.

Old
09-25-2003, 02:14 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I doubt the Sabres would go with Askey as Biron's back up.

If they were concerned about paying Miller's salary they might be able to do a deal with the Canes for Irbe where Carolina picks up the vast majority of the remainder of Irbe's contract.

Closed Thread