HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

ST.Johns Maple Leafs Ticked!!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-10-2005, 05:51 PM
  #26
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falon
Of course Frankie. I forgot you know absolutely everything and could not possibly be wrong in your assessment of the St. John's Maple Leafs.
i gave my opinion. lose the sarcasm.

Frankie is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 05:54 PM
  #27
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
I was allowing some needed time to adapt to the new ice surface, league, and game.
his adjustment would probably take at least half a season.

Frankie is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 06:04 PM
  #28
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
his adjustment would probably take at least half a season.
Not to the AHL, it wouldn't. Most of the players in that league couldn't carry his hockey bag.

mooseOAK* is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 06:19 PM
  #29
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
no, that's harold druken's place.

although harold has a bad shoulder right now. he should be ok though.
Wouldn't be a bad idea to get some extra players though. Not the most durable players on the Leafs, ancient or not.

ULF_55 is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 06:21 PM
  #30
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
Not to the AHL, it wouldn't. Most of the players in that league couldn't carry his hockey bag.
you're setting unrealistic expectations that he won't be able to live up to.

half a season is a minimum adjustment time to the ahl.

i don't know why people think he's so good, he has been terrible in the sel this year.

Frankie is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 06:22 PM
  #31
VanW27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: halifax,n.s.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
no, that's harold druken's place.

although harold has a bad shoulder right now. he should be ok though.
Harold Druken is a very one dimensional hockey player Steen could bring as much offensively as him (maybe not right away) and easily bring a lot more defensively.

VanW27 is online now  
Old
03-10-2005, 06:22 PM
  #32
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Wouldn't be a bad idea to get some extra players though. Not the most durable players on the Leafs, ancient or not.
very true, nothing wrong with a little depth!

Frankie is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 06:26 PM
  #33
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwychen27
Harold Druken is a very one dimensional hockey player Steen could bring as much offensively as him (maybe not right away) and easily bring a lot more defensively.
yes harold is one dimensional. steen isn't close to harold offensively.

Frankie is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 06:28 PM
  #34
Leaf Army
Registered User
 
Leaf Army's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Leaf Nation
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
yes harold is one dimensional. steen isn't close to harold offensively.
Well aren't you just on a roll.

Leaf Army is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 06:42 PM
  #35
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Well aren't you just on a roll.
yeah, its been a good day.

how are things in beautiful st.catherines? i'll be back there this summer hopefully.

Frankie is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 07:04 PM
  #36
Leaf Army
Registered User
 
Leaf Army's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Leaf Nation
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
how are things in beautiful st.catherines? i'll be back there this summer hopefully.
I'll alert the local paper.

No seriously that's cool. Hope you have a good time.

St. John's is on my short-list of places I want to visit in Canada.

Leaf Army is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 07:13 PM
  #37
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Alexander Steen at 21 would put Harold Druken to shame.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 07:23 PM
  #38
VanW27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: halifax,n.s.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,232
vCash: 500
I think we should either agree to disagree with Frankie, if not this thread should be closed.

VanW27 is online now  
Old
03-10-2005, 07:36 PM
  #39
richardn
Registered User
 
richardn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen
Alexander Steen at 21 would put Harold Druken to shame.
:lol , When Druken was 21 he put up 15 goals and 30 points in 55 games for the Vancouver Canucks. At the NHL level Druken has an PPG average of .432 PPG, which isn't to far off of Antropov's PPG in the NHL. So I don't think Steen will put him to shame. Druken has battled back from some tough set backs and injuries over the last few years. I would not be surprised if he some day in the near future can return to his 2001 form. His defence has greatly improved from this year to last despite what his +/- might say. People talk arround here like Steen is some sort of god or savior to the future of the Leafs. Let him prove him self before bragging about him because if he flops, which I don't think he will, Frankie is going to have a field day on here along with many other people from other boards. I don't think it is fair to say Steen is better then Druken when he hasn't played one game in the NHL or AHL for that matter.

richardn is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 07:40 PM
  #40
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
:lol , When Druken was 21 he put up 15 goals and 30 points in 55 games for the Vancouver Canucks. At the NHL level Druken has an PPG average of .432 PPG, which isn't to far off of Antropov's PPG in the NHL. So I don't think Steen will put him to shame. Druken has battled back from some tough set backs and injuries over the last few years. I would not be surprised if he some day in the near future can return to his 2001 form. His defence has greatly improved from this year to last despite what his +/- might say. People talk arround here like Steen is some sort of god or savior to the future of the Leafs. Let him prove him self before bragging about him because if he flops, which I don't think he will, Frankie is going to have a field day on here along with many other people from other boards. I don't think it is fair to say Steen is better then Druken when he hasn't played one game in the NHL or AHL for that matter.
Alexander Steen at 21 is better than a 26 year old Harold Druken.

You don't care to believe so because Druken's a fan favourite (with him being from St. John's), but it's quite obvious since Harold is a lazy schmuck who deserves the benchings he gets.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 07:47 PM
  #41
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen
Alexander Steen at 21 is better than a 26 year old Harold Druken.
no evidence to support that. none.

but you're not big on supporting your arguments with facts, are you?

anyone who thinks steen will takes druken's place on the top line doesn't have a clue about this team.

Frankie is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 07:53 PM
  #42
richardn
Registered User
 
richardn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen
Alexander Steen at 21 is better than a 26 year old Harold Druken.

You don't care to believe so because Druken's a fan favourite (with him being from St. John's), but it's quite obvious since Harold is a lazy schmuck who deserves the benchings he gets.
I am not from St. John's so its not like he is from my home town, so I wouldn't say he is a fan favorite of mine. I get frustrated seening him play on some nights because he is not in the game. But when he is on his game he can be one of the most dominating players on the ice even in his own end. I actually used to despise the guy when he played for the Plymouth Whalers. Druken and Legwand used to rip the score sheets up in Memorial Gardens against my Sault Greyhounds. Bottom line is I have seen him play minimum of 40 games live throughout his days and his up side is still there. He hasn't lost any thing off his shot, skating and puckhandling. It is very easy for people to rip him apart because of his deffenceive lapses and so called lazyness, but his defence is improving and if he ever gets his D to a decent level he is easily a decent 2nd liner in the NHL and would doubt that Steen will put him to shame on the score sheet for sure.

richardn is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 07:54 PM
  #43
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
no evidence to support that. none.

but you're not big on supporting your arguments with facts, are you?

anyone who thinks steen will takes druken's place on the top line doesn't have a clue about this team.
If Druken was that important to the team, he wouldn't have been BENCHED in favour of Brad Leeb... who's even worse than Druken.

Alexander Steen has played in every game for Modo and has been touted by the coach, Peter Forsberg's father, as the hardest working player in practice.

He's also a better two-way player than Druken has ever been, isn't lazy, and plays physical. Offensively, he's also more skilled than Druken, Steen just didn't play much in an offensive role because of the solid players in front of him this past season.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 07:57 PM
  #44
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
I am not from St. John's so its not like he is from my home town, so I wouldn't say he is a fan favorite of mine. I get frustrated seening him play on some nights because he is not in the game. But when he is on his game he can be one of the most dominating players on the ice even in his own end. I actually used to despise the guy when he played for the Plymouth Whalers. Druken and Legwand used to rip the score sheets up in Memorial Gardens against my Sault Greyhounds. Bottom line is I have seen him play minimum of 40 games live throughout his days and his up side is still there. He hasn't lost any thing off his shot, skating and puckhandling. It is very easy for people to rip him apart because of his deffenceive lapses and so called lazyness, but his defence is improving and if he ever gets his D to a decent level he is easily a decent 2nd liner in the NHL and would doubt that Steen will put him to shame on the score sheet for sure.
And if Pavel Brendl wasn't so lazy and such a defensive liability, he'd be a superstar in the NHL.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 07:59 PM
  #45
richardn
Registered User
 
richardn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen
If Druken was that important to the team, he wouldn't have been BENCHED in favour of Brad Leeb... who's even worse than Druken.

Alexander Steen has played in every game for Modo and has been touted by the coach, Peter Forsberg's father, as the hardest working player in practice.

He's also a better two-way player than Druken has ever been, isn't lazy, and plays physical. Offensively, he's also more skilled than Druken, Steen just didn't play much in an offensive role because of the solid players in front of him this past season.
If you knew any thing about Shedden's coaching you would know that he has to sit either Leeb, Wilm, Perrot or Druken because of the Veteran rule. Shedden goes with a rotation and plays different players on different nights going on hunches from past games and the way that player matches to the team they are playing. Druken has also been hurt so that is why he hasn't been playing of late.

richardn is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 08:04 PM
  #46
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
If you knew any thing about Shedden's coaching you would know that he has to sit either Leeb, Wilm, Perrot or Druken because of the Veteran rule. Shedden goes with a rotation and plays different players on different nights going on hunches from past games and the way that player matches to the team they are playing. Druken has also been hurt so that is why he hasn't been playing of late.
I know about the vet rule, top 6 forwards don't get the pressbox for players like Wilm, Perrott, or Leeb.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 08:04 PM
  #47
richardn
Registered User
 
richardn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen
And if Pavel Brendl wasn't so lazy and such a defensive liability, he'd be a superstar in the NHL.
I have never seen him play live so I couldn't tell you much about Pavel Brendl. I know he was highly touted top five pick who hasn't done much in the NHL yet. Druken has at least showed he can score consistantly in the NHL, which was no fluke. He has an amazing shot probably as hard as most snipers in the NHL.

richardn is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 08:08 PM
  #48
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
Druken has at least showed he can score consistantly in the NHL, which was no fluke...
Except he's never CONSISTANTLY played in the NHL.

He has 17 points in his last 58 games... consistent is not the word.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 08:10 PM
  #49
richardn
Registered User
 
richardn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen
I know about the vet rule, top 6 forwards don't get the pressbox for players like Wilm, Perrott, or Leeb.
Wilm is there best face off man and best penalty killer along with being the Assistant captain with 400 games played in the NHL, so it is not as easy as you think to make the lineup. Perrot plays a gritty game and can score for tough guy. Leeb gets most of his ice time when they are playing teams that he has played well in the past. Leeb also plays very good in both ends when he comes back into the lineup. You can't just sit Leeb on the bench the whole season. Shedden likes to mix it up to get fresh legs and have the sence that no one's spot in the lineup is safe.

richardn is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 08:14 PM
  #50
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
Wilm is there best face off man and best penalty killer along with being the Assistant captain with 400 games played in the NHL, so it is not as easy as you think to make the lineup. Perrot plays a gritty game and can score for tough guy. Leeb gets most of his ice time when they are playing teams that he has played well in the past. Leeb also plays very good in both ends when he comes back into the lineup. You can't just sit Leeb on the bench the whole season. Shedden likes to mix it up to get fresh legs and have the sence that no one's spot in the lineup is safe.
Exactly.

Druken's spot SHOULD be safe.

But it's not because he sucks and is lazy as ****.

leafaholix* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.