HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

ST.Johns Maple Leafs Ticked!!

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2005, 05:51 PM
Frankie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falon
Of course Frankie. I forgot you know absolutely everything and could not possibly be wrong in your assessment of the St. John's Maple Leafs.
i gave my opinion. lose the sarcasm.

Old
03-10-2005, 05:54 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
I was allowing some needed time to adapt to the new ice surface, league, and game.
his adjustment would probably take at least half a season.

Old
03-10-2005, 06:04 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
his adjustment would probably take at least half a season.
Not to the AHL, it wouldn't. Most of the players in that league couldn't carry his hockey bag.

Old
03-10-2005, 06:19 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
no, that's harold druken's place.

although harold has a bad shoulder right now. he should be ok though.
Wouldn't be a bad idea to get some extra players though. Not the most durable players on the Leafs, ancient or not.

Old
03-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
Not to the AHL, it wouldn't. Most of the players in that league couldn't carry his hockey bag.
you're setting unrealistic expectations that he won't be able to live up to.

half a season is a minimum adjustment time to the ahl.

i don't know why people think he's so good, he has been terrible in the sel this year.

Old
03-10-2005, 06:22 PM
VanW27

Quote:
no, that's harold druken's place.

although harold has a bad shoulder right now. he should be ok though.
Harold Druken is a very one dimensional hockey player Steen could bring as much offensively as him (maybe not right away) and easily bring a lot more defensively.

Old
03-10-2005, 06:22 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Wouldn't be a bad idea to get some extra players though. Not the most durable players on the Leafs, ancient or not.
very true, nothing wrong with a little depth!

Old
03-10-2005, 06:26 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwychen27
Harold Druken is a very one dimensional hockey player Steen could bring as much offensively as him (maybe not right away) and easily bring a lot more defensively.
yes harold is one dimensional. steen isn't close to harold offensively.

Old
03-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
yes harold is one dimensional. steen isn't close to harold offensively.
Well aren't you just on a roll.

Old
03-10-2005, 06:42 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Well aren't you just on a roll.
yeah, its been a good day.

how are things in beautiful st.catherines? i'll be back there this summer hopefully.

Old
03-10-2005, 07:04 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
how are things in beautiful st.catherines? i'll be back there this summer hopefully.
I'll alert the local paper.

No seriously that's cool. Hope you have a good time.

St. John's is on my short-list of places I want to visit in Canada.

Old
03-10-2005, 07:13 PM
leafaholix*

Alexander Steen at 21 would put Harold Druken to shame.

Old
03-10-2005, 07:23 PM
VanW27

I think we should either agree to disagree with Frankie, if not this thread should be closed.

Old
03-10-2005, 07:36 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen
Alexander Steen at 21 would put Harold Druken to shame.
:lol , When Druken was 21 he put up 15 goals and 30 points in 55 games for the Vancouver Canucks. At the NHL level Druken has an PPG average of .432 PPG, which isn't to far off of Antropov's PPG in the NHL. So I don't think Steen will put him to shame. Druken has battled back from some tough set backs and injuries over the last few years. I would not be surprised if he some day in the near future can return to his 2001 form. His defence has greatly improved from this year to last despite what his +/- might say. People talk arround here like Steen is some sort of god or savior to the future of the Leafs. Let him prove him self before bragging about him because if he flops, which I don't think he will, Frankie is going to have a field day on here along with many other people from other boards. I don't think it is fair to say Steen is better then Druken when he hasn't played one game in the NHL or AHL for that matter.

Old
03-10-2005, 07:40 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
:lol , When Druken was 21 he put up 15 goals and 30 points in 55 games for the Vancouver Canucks. At the NHL level Druken has an PPG average of .432 PPG, which isn't to far off of Antropov's PPG in the NHL. So I don't think Steen will put him to shame. Druken has battled back from some tough set backs and injuries over the last few years. I would not be surprised if he some day in the near future can return to his 2001 form. His defence has greatly improved from this year to last despite what his +/- might say. People talk arround here like Steen is some sort of god or savior to the future of the Leafs. Let him prove him self before bragging about him because if he flops, which I don't think he will, Frankie is going to have a field day on here along with many other people from other boards. I don't think it is fair to say Steen is better then Druken when he hasn't played one game in the NHL or AHL for that matter.
Alexander Steen at 21 is better than a 26 year old Harold Druken.

You don't care to believe so because Druken's a fan favourite (with him being from St. John's), but it's quite obvious since Harold is a lazy schmuck who deserves the benchings he gets.

Old
03-10-2005, 07:47 PM
Frankie

Quote:
no evidence to support that. none.

but you're not big on supporting your arguments with facts, are you?

anyone who thinks steen will takes druken's place on the top line doesn't have a clue about this team.

Old
03-10-2005, 07:53 PM
richardn

Quote:

You don't care to believe so because Druken's a fan favourite (with him being from St. John's), but it's quite obvious since Harold is a lazy schmuck who deserves the benchings he gets.
I am not from St. John's so its not like he is from my home town, so I wouldn't say he is a fan favorite of mine. I get frustrated seening him play on some nights because he is not in the game. But when he is on his game he can be one of the most dominating players on the ice even in his own end. I actually used to despise the guy when he played for the Plymouth Whalers. Druken and Legwand used to rip the score sheets up in Memorial Gardens against my Sault Greyhounds. Bottom line is I have seen him play minimum of 40 games live throughout his days and his up side is still there. He hasn't lost any thing off his shot, skating and puckhandling. It is very easy for people to rip him apart because of his deffenceive lapses and so called lazyness, but his defence is improving and if he ever gets his D to a decent level he is easily a decent 2nd liner in the NHL and would doubt that Steen will put him to shame on the score sheet for sure.

Old
03-10-2005, 07:54 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
no evidence to support that. none.

but you're not big on supporting your arguments with facts, are you?

anyone who thinks steen will takes druken's place on the top line doesn't have a clue about this team.
If Druken was that important to the team, he wouldn't have been BENCHED in favour of Brad Leeb... who's even worse than Druken.

Alexander Steen has played in every game for Modo and has been touted by the coach, Peter Forsberg's father, as the hardest working player in practice.

He's also a better two-way player than Druken has ever been, isn't lazy, and plays physical. Offensively, he's also more skilled than Druken, Steen just didn't play much in an offensive role because of the solid players in front of him this past season.

Old
03-10-2005, 07:57 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
I am not from St. John's so its not like he is from my home town, so I wouldn't say he is a fan favorite of mine. I get frustrated seening him play on some nights because he is not in the game. But when he is on his game he can be one of the most dominating players on the ice even in his own end. I actually used to despise the guy when he played for the Plymouth Whalers. Druken and Legwand used to rip the score sheets up in Memorial Gardens against my Sault Greyhounds. Bottom line is I have seen him play minimum of 40 games live throughout his days and his up side is still there. He hasn't lost any thing off his shot, skating and puckhandling. It is very easy for people to rip him apart because of his deffenceive lapses and so called lazyness, but his defence is improving and if he ever gets his D to a decent level he is easily a decent 2nd liner in the NHL and would doubt that Steen will put him to shame on the score sheet for sure.
And if Pavel Brendl wasn't so lazy and such a defensive liability, he'd be a superstar in the NHL.

Old
03-10-2005, 07:59 PM
richardn

Quote:
If Druken was that important to the team, he wouldn't have been BENCHED in favour of Brad Leeb... who's even worse than Druken.

Alexander Steen has played in every game for Modo and has been touted by the coach, Peter Forsberg's father, as the hardest working player in practice.

He's also a better two-way player than Druken has ever been, isn't lazy, and plays physical. Offensively, he's also more skilled than Druken, Steen just didn't play much in an offensive role because of the solid players in front of him this past season.
If you knew any thing about Shedden's coaching you would know that he has to sit either Leeb, Wilm, Perrot or Druken because of the Veteran rule. Shedden goes with a rotation and plays different players on different nights going on hunches from past games and the way that player matches to the team they are playing. Druken has also been hurt so that is why he hasn't been playing of late.

Old
03-10-2005, 08:04 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
If you knew any thing about Shedden's coaching you would know that he has to sit either Leeb, Wilm, Perrot or Druken because of the Veteran rule. Shedden goes with a rotation and plays different players on different nights going on hunches from past games and the way that player matches to the team they are playing. Druken has also been hurt so that is why he hasn't been playing of late.
I know about the vet rule, top 6 forwards don't get the pressbox for players like Wilm, Perrott, or Leeb.

Old
03-10-2005, 08:04 PM
richardn

Quote:
And if Pavel Brendl wasn't so lazy and such a defensive liability, he'd be a superstar in the NHL.
I have never seen him play live so I couldn't tell you much about Pavel Brendl. I know he was highly touted top five pick who hasn't done much in the NHL yet. Druken has at least showed he can score consistantly in the NHL, which was no fluke. He has an amazing shot probably as hard as most snipers in the NHL.

Old
03-10-2005, 08:08 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Druken has at least showed he can score consistantly in the NHL, which was no fluke...
Except he's never CONSISTANTLY played in the NHL.

He has 17 points in his last 58 games... consistent is not the word.

Old
03-10-2005, 08:10 PM
richardn

Quote:
I know about the vet rule, top 6 forwards don't get the pressbox for players like Wilm, Perrott, or Leeb.
Wilm is there best face off man and best penalty killer along with being the Assistant captain with 400 games played in the NHL, so it is not as easy as you think to make the lineup. Perrot plays a gritty game and can score for tough guy. Leeb gets most of his ice time when they are playing teams that he has played well in the past. Leeb also plays very good in both ends when he comes back into the lineup. You can't just sit Leeb on the bench the whole season. Shedden likes to mix it up to get fresh legs and have the sence that no one's spot in the lineup is safe.

Old
03-10-2005, 08:14 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Wilm is there best face off man and best penalty killer along with being the Assistant captain with 400 games played in the NHL, so it is not as easy as you think to make the lineup. Perrot plays a gritty game and can score for tough guy. Leeb gets most of his ice time when they are playing teams that he has played well in the past. Leeb also plays very good in both ends when he comes back into the lineup. You can't just sit Leeb on the bench the whole season. Shedden likes to mix it up to get fresh legs and have the sence that no one's spot in the lineup is safe.
Exactly.

Druken's spot SHOULD be safe.

But it's not because he sucks and is lazy as ****.

Closed Thread