HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs WIN! - 4-3 Frattin with a thriller!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-30-2013, 06:27 AM
  #426
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK
 
legendinblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,110
vCash: 500
How you dare to win...

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:27 AM
  #427
Rielly Good
Registered User
 
Rielly Good's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 667
vCash: 500
Only player I thought didn't look all that good was Kostka.

Also, I hope Carlyle realizes Franson should be a Top 4 guy and play every game

Rielly Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:29 AM
  #428
Rielly Good
Registered User
 
Rielly Good's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 667
vCash: 500
OT
Galchenyuk is looking solid!!

With him being a gym rat, the kid is going to be strong and dangerous IMO, when he actually becomes an adult lol

Rielly Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:32 AM
  #429
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK
 
legendinblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,110
vCash: 500
Franson was due to have a good game.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:41 AM
  #430
Yosho
Logic
 
Yosho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
Franson was due to have a good game.
I've always been impressed with how Franson can control pucks at the point. His hand-eye and confidence is unreal; he always seems to knock pucks out of the air and keep them in the offensive zone. An asset that almost always gets overlooked.

Nice little dangles, too. Hopefully he can stick in the lineup.

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:07 AM
  #431
leafspring*
 
leafspring*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rielly Good View Post
Only player I thought didn't look all that good was Kostka.

Also, I hope Carlyle realizes Franson should be a Top 4 guy and play every game
You weren't watching Bozak then.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:08 AM
  #432
Interactif
Opinionist
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,400
vCash: 500
Short summary

The Obvious- Frattin and Kadri the good, DRAFT-DEVELOP-PROMOTE - My Slogan that I will keep repeating here.

Observations, Grabo's line was on the ice in the last minutes of the game and again the opposition (Sabres) almost scored to win the game before the end of regulation. This line is dangerously bad at key points of the game. Lucky to escape.

Kessel looks out of shape and gassed, what a change from last year, Bozak looks like he is being dragged down with him. Not a bad game by both but not a standout game by any of JVR/Kessel/Bozie

Mcclement was good.

Synopsis-Again going to cite the Boston model, difficult decisions will have to be made on key personnel, with Kadri looking every bit ready for a bigger role on the team, Nonis can entertain a change of the guard on the roster. There are more Frattin's pushing for jobs on the Marlies, Draft/Develop/Promote. The more emphasis on this, the better this team will be in the near future.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:08 AM
  #433
leafspring*
 
leafspring*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosho View Post
I've always been impressed with how Franson can control pucks at the point. His hand-eye and confidence is unreal; he always seems to knock pucks out of the air and keep them in the offensive zone. An asset that almost always gets overlooked.

Nice little dangles, too. Hopefully he can stick in the lineup.
Kostka keeps pucks in well too.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:20 AM
  #434
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP
 
Wolfgang Krauser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,707
vCash: 500
My biggest problem with Kostka is his decision making(the timing) is not NHL caliber. I feel that he simply takes too long to process what to do, whether it be offence or defence.

I can't blame the guy because it is Carlyle putting him in those situations, but I'd love for Gardiner or Gunnar to take his position...although I like the Franson Gunnar idea.

In the AHL, Kostka is a stud, in the NHL however I find his shot, passing and play reading to be mediocre.

Wolfgang Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:49 AM
  #435
leafspring*
 
leafspring*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh66 View Post
My biggest problem with Kostka is his decision making(the timing) is not NHL caliber. I feel that he simply takes too long to process what to do, whether it be offence or defence.

I can't blame the guy because it is Carlyle putting him in those situations, but I'd love for Gardiner or Gunnar to take his position...although I like the Franson Gunnar idea.

In the AHL, Kostka is a stud, in the NHL however I find his shot, passing and play reading to be mediocre.
Kostka needs to play with someone other than Phaneuf. He is not reading what Phaneuf might do well. Phaneuf is wearing thin on me,not Kostka.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:55 AM
  #436
ACC1224
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 29,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porn* View Post
that's because he works hard every shift... i don't get the constant slam against him. Since last year, he's been a workhorse for us... i love his game.
It seemed to me when he looked gassed that his shifts were too long?

Kessel is the least of this Teams issues.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:57 AM
  #437
Fat Quinn
Registered User
 
Fat Quinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 18
vCash: 500
I don't think we should be concerned about Kessel's conditioning. The guy played over 26 min last night, including some ridiculously long defensive shifts. Any forward would be tired after that much exertion. Carlyle just needs the balance the ice-time a bit better...

Fat Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:06 AM
  #438
diceman934
Registered User
 
diceman934's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NHL player factory
Posts: 7,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
It seemed to me when he looked gassed that his shifts were too long?

Kessel is the least of this Teams issues.
I do not agree....Kessel is a huge issue. He is shooting from everywhere and anywhere. He is pouting and it's bring down his linemates and it is rubbing off. JVR played a non existing game for the most part. Carlyle knows that it is becoming an issue and that is the reason for the extra ice time. Kessel was horrible last night.

I'm a fan of his skill, but not his game as he is a player who refuses to play in the dirty areas of the ice.....look at the smaller Kadri who has no issues with banging and hanging out in the greasy areas and you have to wonder if Kessel would stop net front and not skate away from the net what would be the results.

As to his conditioning......It is more concerning that his compete level is waning to me.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:27 AM
  #439
Gards
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
Big win last night

I love beating Buffalo

Gards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:32 AM
  #440
Sundinisagod
top 5 bound
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 8,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
Kostka needs to play with someone other than Phaneuf. He is not reading what Phaneuf might do well. Phaneuf is wearing thin on me,not Kostka.
Perhaps it is Kostka who should be wearing thin on you? I wonder how Dion feels about being paired with an AHL veteran playing 27 mins? It's almost setting the captain up for failure, should not put him in that position imho...considering all the scrutiny he gets here from fans and media.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:34 AM
  #441
TmlHockeyFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,867
vCash: 500
Can somebody tell me the lines yesterday? I missed the game. Was it

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
McClement-Grabo-Kule
Frattin-Kadri-Komarov
Orr-Steckel-Brown

Phaneuf-Kostka
Gunnarson-Liles
Franson-Fraser

????

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:41 AM
  #442
Daisy Joy
Little Ms SassyLeaf
 
Daisy Joy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woll Smoth View Post
Leafs beat a tired Sabres team (4 games 6 nights)
Better test comes against WSH, for the sake of everyone who wants to make the playoffs, lets hope Ovie doesn't break out against the leafs.
Are you kidding me?
EVERYONE breaks out against the Leafs

Daisy Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:44 AM
  #443
Jerkini
Registered User
 
Jerkini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,500
vCash: 500
I thought Kostka started last game in horrendous fashion. Some blatant giveaways that led to severe pressure from Buffalo. He settled down toward the end of the game. But I feel like things like that are only going to get worse as the rest of the NHL gets back up to speed. And with Gardiner sitting in the press box ready to go, I'd just prefer to see him in the line up instead.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:47 AM
  #444
Parkdale
Registered User
 
Parkdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
I do not agree....Kessel is a huge issue. He is shooting from everywhere and anywhere. He is pouting and it's bring down his linemates and it is rubbing off. JVR played a non existing game for the most part. Carlyle knows that it is becoming an issue and that is the reason for the extra ice time. Kessel was horrible last night.

I'm a fan of his skill, but not his game as he is a player who refuses to play in the dirty areas of the ice.....look at the smaller Kadri who has no issues with banging and hanging out in the greasy areas and you have to wonder if Kessel would stop net front and not skate away from the net what would be the results.

As to his conditioning......It is more concerning that his compete level is waning to me.
I think Kessel will be fine. He has been good, just not lucky. I'm sure that Kessel has to play against better checkers than Kadri has had to so far. So good on Kadri...he's playing much better this year and is more consistent. But Kessel is our stud scorer....let's be true fans and support him.

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:49 AM
  #445
Parkdale
Registered User
 
Parkdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
I thought Kostka started last game in horrendous fashion. Some blatant giveaways that led to severe pressure from Buffalo. He settled down toward the end of the game. But I feel like things like that are only going to get worse as the rest of the NHL gets back up to speed. And with Gardiner sitting in the press box ready to go, I'd just prefer to see him in the line up instead.
The Kostka story is one of this years highlights so far. Be optimistic that he can only get better as he adjusts to the league. My faith is in Carlyle who should be able to evaluate defenseman.

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:55 AM
  #446
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor
 
rojac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Waterloo, ON
Posts: 6,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
The Kostka story is one of this years highlights so far. Be optimistic that he can only get better as he adjusts to the league. My faith is in Carlyle who should be able to evaluate defenseman.
But Carlyle is only a Norris-winning defenseman and a Stanley Cup-winning coach, surely he can't know more than a bunch of fans on a web site.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:14 AM
  #447
hullsy47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Quinn View Post
I don't think we should be concerned about Kessel's conditioning. The guy played over 26 min last night, including some ridiculously long defensive shifts. Any forward would be tired after that much exertion. Carlyle just needs the balance the ice-time a bit better...
both frattin's goals came from going to the net ....right now ,no way kessel makes the play that frattin did on the winner .....in time if he can find the jam ,he may not have the prolonged slumps .....any way u slice it kessel has several droughts every year .a gy like farattin can be just as valuable at 25 goalsper year ,when he can go to the net

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:22 AM
  #448
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Registered User
 
TheLeastOfTheBunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,398
vCash: 500
Sucks that Kessel still hasn't scored in 6 games, but it's nice to see Kadri and Frattin putting up points and coming up big for us early on. A lot of good offensive options if the younger guys establish themselves this season (JVR, Kadri, Frattin, along with Grabo, Kessel, Kulemin, Lupul). Need that #1C however

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:42 AM
  #449
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 57,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosho View Post
I've always been impressed with how Franson can control pucks at the point. His hand-eye and confidence is unreal; he always seems to knock pucks out of the air and keep them in the offensive zone. An asset that almost always gets overlooked.

Nice little dangles, too. Hopefully he can stick in the lineup.
He should at least be replacing Phaneuf or Kostka on the PP.

PP is horrible, and trying someone who can get the puck on net can't hurt. Okay, also need to put someone on the ice who'll go to the net, and maybe that would be easier if they trusted the point man's shot.

__________________
http://kuklaskorner.com/index.php/ps...e_corsi_issues

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:42 AM
  #450
HockeyGuruPitka
Registered User
 
HockeyGuruPitka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,046
vCash: 500
When healthy this should be the leafs line-up

Lupul/JVR Bozak Kessel
McClement Grabovski Kulemin
JVR/Lupul Kadri Frattin
Orr Steckel Komarov
Brown

Phaneuf Kostka
Franson Liles
Gunnarsson Fraser

Gardiner

Reimer
Scrivens

Personally do not see a spot for MacArthur on this team. He is to hit and miss. Havnt seen him elevate his or his line-mates game since 2010/11. Hes interchangeable through the line-up with no solidified spot. I would dish him before trade deadline for w.e we can get. Hes UFA and not really worth re-signing.

Secondly seeing our D core now, it would be nice to take back the Aulie for Ashton trade. Even though i like Ashton, i think Aulie would be more valuable to Toronto right now.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.