HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

This Philadelphia Team Is Really Bad

Old
01-29-2013, 09:31 PM
MayonnaiseOreo

vCash: 500
The thing that makes the least sense is that the lineup really hasn't changed that much from last season but these guys look like they have zero chemistry with each other.

MayonnaiseOreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:33 PM
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr

never thought I would say this about Philly but they're too soft of a team, especially on the forecheck, it was obvious last year in the playoffs vs the Devils and they did nothing to fix it in the summer

MountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:34 PM
MayonnaiseOreo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Ha, have you seen the Rangers powerplay? Do you remember the 5 on 3 in the first game? Also, the Flyers were outplayed today, IMO. The Rangers had the better of the chances. However, it wasn't that bad at all. You want to see bad? Watch the first game between the 2 teams. The Rangers may as well have not shown up. They did nothing well. Bryz had to make 1 good save that game.
They were outplayed today but they just looked bad. The Rangers PP has been better than the Flyers' for sure. The Flyers did an excellent job of killing off the PP in the first game and the Rangers actually got some really good chances off of it. Plus the Rangers were playing their second game in as many days and in Philly. I give them the benefit of the doubt for that game.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:34 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Timonen is also pretty mobile

Coburn while huge is pretty good at moving the puck
Coburn isn't a great puck mover...but he can skate very well with it, a good carrier. Both Kimmo and Coburn had some awful turnovers tonight though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
I fail to understand how ******** on the Pens serves as an argument in this thread....
Shh...it's a Pens fan ragging on his own team, just let him go

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:36 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Anyone have a video of when Briere fell down like a sack in water in the last couple of seconds? Lying on the ice in pain and then gets right up and joins the play after a few seconds of not drawing a penalty.
Don't really know how faking a high stick would've benefited the Flyers much? Rangers owned the faceoff dot. They wouldn't have had a better chance than the one they had.

Flyers couldn't have been as bad as it looked. Flyers fans don't seem to agree on who exactly showed up tonight. I've seen at least half the team listed in various threads and tweets.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:40 PM
aemoreira1981

As a Rangers' fan, I'm not sure that the defense was that good either; Bryzgalov is the only reason why the Flyers even had a chance to get a win. I'd have had him as the #3 star of the game in a losing effort.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Aucoin11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
He's been really good for us. I don't regret the JVR trade at all. Another thing is, I do think Schenn though can do a little more. I wonder if he will get some PP time. He can definitely get it to the net from what I've seen.
Agreed put schenn on the pp

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:00 PM
Kid Dynamite
Pro Scout

vCash: 400
Naming one season wonder Giroux as their captain was a big mistake.

Kid Dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:01 PM
IranCondraAffair

I don't perceive much of a mystery. The team is rebuilding and they have injuries on defensive end that, coupled with the defense's strengths/weaknesses, is compounding the problem. .

Last season they had an embarrassment of riches in their forward corps which offset the injuries on the defensive end. This season they still have a good young forward core but it isn't as deep and they're bound to have some growing pains as they add younger players. Jagr is gone, Hartnell is injured, and the accrued NHL games in the top-9 can't be very high.

If the defense was healthy, this wouldn't be an issue, but right now the only healthy puck mover is Kimo and he's almost 100 years old and has clearly lost a step. Grossman can shoot the puck, but he's not a traditional "puck mover" neither is Coburn or Schenn. You got 6 guys on defense and none of them are great at getting the puck out of the zone anymore. The team has to adapt it's playing style or it's going to be a long season.

The team clearly misses Carle (as much as he turned over the puck he got it out lot) and Meszaros (hopefully he can make it back, the guy is snakebitten).

IranCondraAffair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:04 PM
bobafettish*

giroux for mike richards and voynov.

philly gets cannon back and they get a mobile transition defenseman.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:24 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
Not sure who is worse though.

Dallas gets the Texas boy. The Flyers get the Canadian boy. The Capitals get the Finnish boy. Deal?
Yes please.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:29 PM
cupforwings09

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHI Flyers10 View Post
I know it's early in the season but they look horrible. Briere and Bryzgalov were the only ones to show up tonight. Bryz has been borderline amazing in his last 3 or 4 games and the only reason the scores were close.
So he plays great on a bad team (Phoenix), bad on a pretty good team (Philly last few years), and great on a bad team (PHilly this year)? I see a trend.

cupforwings09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:29 PM
startainfection

no one believed me

startainfection is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:39 PM
Playerwinner

vCash: 7431
I was hoping the Flyers would do terrible this season, but sadly the Penguins are doing the same.

Playerwinner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:43 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupforwings09 View Post
So he plays great on a bad team (Phoenix), bad on a pretty good team (Philly last few years), and great on a bad team (PHilly this year)? I see a trend.
Attention *****

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:49 PM
MayonnaiseOreo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupforwings09 View Post
I don't like the trend. Lol. Funny (not really) how it's worked out that way. If only this team could put the offense together with Bryz playing the way he has been.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:57 PM
F L Y E R S
Orange & Black

Sign Shea Weber to offer sheet. Stays in Nashville. Offer both Parise ands Suter the most money in Free Agency. They're off to Minnesota......Sigh

Add the injuries and we're left with this.

But seriously, I believe they'll turn it around. Hopefully soon.

F L Y E R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
I think the title should be: "Are Flyers the worst team in the NHL?" or "Should Flyers blow it up?"

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Broad st phantom

As much as we need a mobile dman who can get it out, we need the forwards to wake up and play like they're not boderline handicapped. Vorachek and Giroux were appalling tonight. Schenn, Grossman, and Bryz are really the only ones who seem to show up for the games. It's hard to watch.

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:09 PM
Lemmiwinks

Is it just me or is everyone freaking out on the main boards? Don't get me wrong, I'm a nucks fan and our fan base is doing the same thing. I think we're all a little too excited coming out of the gate after the lockout.

Don't worry Philly, your team is not bad.

Lemmiwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:41 PM
MayonnaiseOreo

I wouldn't say this is a freakout thread like the others. Just a genuine assessment that this team is playing horribly and doesn't have much of an excuse for it. Especially Giroux. They CAN turn it around but they haven't shown any signs that they will.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:54 PM
LetsGoIslanders

My assessment of Philadelphia is simple:

Every year it's another big trade, another huge shakeup without addressing the 800 pound gorilla in the room. They do not want to give up assets to draft a decent goaltender. The forwards and the defense isn't the issue. Philadelphia can buy/trade for a decent lineup, but they can't get a decent goaltender. Add into the fact that Laviolette is a blowhard who lucked into a cup in Carolina. I'd ditch Laviolette and stick with the same lineup for a couple of years, meanwhile giving up picks or prospects for the top goaltender in a draft.

LetsGoIslanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:56 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoIslanders View Post
My assessment of Philadelphia is simple:

Every year it's another big trade, another huge shakeup without addressing the 800 pound gorilla in the room. They do not want to give up assets to draft a decent goaltender. The forwards and the defense isn't the issue. Philadelphia can buy/trade for a decent lineup, but they can't get a decent goaltender. Add into the fact that Laviolette is a blowhard who lucked into a cup in Carolina. I'd ditch Laviolette and stick with the same lineup for a couple of years, meanwhile giving up picks or prospects for the top goaltender in a draft.
Ditch Lavy for who? Also, considering how well Bryz is doing, it's the least of our worries right now.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:04 AM
Silfverberg Snipes

vCash: 477
I think Philly, Van, and a lot of other teams are suffering from the same thing. In Vancouver's case our defense has been downright brutal. I'm sure the late start is a factor and as the season wears on you'll see the slow starters emerge and the early powerhouses will fall back down to earth.
Give it time.

Silfverberg Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:05 AM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
This will be fun to bump in 2 months.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote