HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

This Philadelphia Team Is Really Bad

Old
01-30-2013, 12:22 AM
MayonnaiseOreo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoIslanders View Post
My assessment of Philadelphia is simple:

Every year it's another big trade, another huge shakeup without addressing the 800 pound gorilla in the room. They do not want to give up assets to draft a decent goaltender. The forwards and the defense isn't the issue. Philadelphia can buy/trade for a decent lineup, but they can't get a decent goaltender. Add into the fact that Laviolette is a blowhard who lucked into a cup in Carolina. I'd ditch Laviolette and stick with the same lineup for a couple of years, meanwhile giving up picks or prospects for the top goaltender in a draft.
The goaltending isn't the problem this year. At least not yet. And who would they get rid of Lavi for? There aren't really any other options.

MayonnaiseOreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:24 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoIslanders View Post
My assessment of Philadelphia is simple:

Every year it's another big trade, another huge shakeup without addressing the 800 pound gorilla in the room. They do not want to give up assets to draft a decent goaltender. The forwards and the defense isn't the issue. Philadelphia can buy/trade for a decent lineup, but they can't get a decent goaltender. Add into the fact that Laviolette is a blowhard who lucked into a cup in Carolina. I'd ditch Laviolette and stick with the same lineup for a couple of years, meanwhile giving up picks or prospects for the top goaltender in a draft.
The 800 pound gorilla in the room is the best player on the team right now. By a large margin. It's been discussed in this thread, the "Bryzgalov" thread, yesterday's "Flyers are terrible" thread, and the Flyers boards, and is plain to see if you watch the games. Fans who continue to draw this conclusion are just ignorant and lazy.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:24 AM
flyin_finn
Fighter Jet Pilot

More Simmonds' and less Shelley's and Knuble's and they should be fine.

flyin_finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:32 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

>Let Matt Carle go
>Replace with Luke Schenn
>Puck movement should be fine.

PROBLEM?

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:33 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Voracek is a strong candidate for worst player in the league right now.

01-30-2013, 02:27 AM
keslerburrows

If the Flyers don't make the playoffs, Holmgren doesn't hesitate before blowing the team up...

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:28 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
If the Flyers don't make the playoffs, Holmgren doesn't hesitate before blowing the team up...
How can you blow up a roster when most of the core guys are young?

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:20 AM
nmbr_24

I was under the impression that the Flyers D was decimated by injury. Having your D injured can severely hurt your offense if the D that you replace the regulars with don't have a good transition game. Without watching them play, that sounds like something that would logically happen to even a good team.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:23 AM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
Letting Carle go is addition by subtraction, remember?

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:08 AM
Burrito

vCash: 50
Is Randy Jones back on the team?

Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:20 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
Their defense looks ridiculously bad. Did Holmgren not get the memo that you need mobile puck movers to start the transition game? They really need to get some help back there.
Huh? It's the teams lack of scoring and special teams that are doing this team in. So far this year they've scored 1, 2, 0, 2, 7, 1, and 1 goals. This season they've given up 8 ES goals in 7 games the rest have been 2 EN, 9PP, 1 SH/PS. The defense has been fine. In fact the defense has been much better than expected IMO.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:00 AM
RANDOMH3RO

A team with holes from injuries and a lot of young players is their problem.

RANDOMH3RO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:05 AM
toewsintangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
How can you blow up a roster when most of the core guys are young?
You already did a couple years back and it directly led into the Kings winning a cup with your players

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:05 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Huh? It's the teams lack of scoring and special teams that are doing this team in. So far this year they've scored 1, 2, 0, 2, 7, 1, and 1 goals. This season they've given up 8 ES goals in 7 games the rest have been 2 EN, 9PP, 1 SH/PS. The defense has been fine. In fact the defense has been much better than expected IMO.
I think the point he's trying to make is that Philly lacks guys who can move the puck effectively on their blueline, and that's causing their transition game to suffer, which affects their offense. Poor puck movement and lack of a good distributor on the blueline during a PP can also make it less effective.

I don't know how true either of those things are, however. Both aspects certainly didn't look very good last night against the Rangers, but I'm not sure how much of that is the Flyers and how much of it is the Rangers

At least Bryz is looking good, but yeah, a lot of the offense is falling on young guys in their second years or so and while they may be talented, it can still be hard to adjust to that. Schenn, Read, and Couturier all look like good players though

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:09 AM
ByeBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Shockingly, D and goaltending hasn't been our problem.

Our offense is terrible and the PP is worse.
It's amazing that both the Pens and the Flyers seem to have such an incredibly hard time scoring as of late given their last playoff series...

ByeBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:10 AM
drmagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
This will be fun to bump in 2 months.
This will be fun to bump in June.

drmagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:29 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I think the point he's trying to make is that Philly lacks guys who can move the puck effectively on their blueline, and that's causing their transition game to suffer, which affects their offense. Poor puck movement and lack of a good distributor on the blueline during a PP can also make it less effective.

I don't know how true either of those things are, however. Both aspects certainly didn't look very good last night against the Rangers, but I'm not sure how much of that is the Flyers and how much of it is the Rangers

At least Bryz is looking good, but yeah, a lot of the offense is falling on young guys in their second years or so and while they may be talented, it can still be hard to adjust to that. Schenn, Read, and Couturier all look like good players though
Very good points. Philly has only allowed a lot of goals (five) in two games and only got shelled with a ton of shots in one game. Defensively and in nets things are okay. But when you've got nobody on D who can move the puck to your forwards, the offense becomes lame.

Check out the Flyers' PP -- it's terrible. And that's a direct result of defensemen who can't control the play in the opposing zone.

Man - I sympathize. My Habs went through this last year with a total changeover in their D. Our PP dried up faster than Lance Armstrong's sponsorship deals and it killed our season.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:36 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneiderman View Post
I think Philly, Van, and a lot of other teams are suffering from the same thing. In Vancouver's case our defense has been downright brutal. I'm sure the late start is a factor and as the season wears on you'll see the slow starters emerge and the early powerhouses will fall back down to earth.
Give it time.
While I agree in principle. It is difficult to draw a parallel when even playing to expectations Van's defense is widely superior. Unfortunately, Philly has been unable to address the massive hole Pronger left. I do see them turning it around somewhat but they may need to consider dealing assets to chase a defenseman. Though if stay the freefall course. Who knows, they could trade up and draft Jones.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:47 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Very good points. Philly has only allowed a lot of goals (five) in two games and only got shelled with a ton of shots in one game. Defensively and in nets things are okay. But when you've got nobody on D who can move the puck to your forwards, the offense becomes lame.

Check out the Flyers' PP -- it's terrible. And that's a direct result of defensemen who can't control the play in the opposing zone.

Man - I sympathize. My Habs went through this last year with a total changeover in their D. Our PP dried up faster than Lance Armstrong's sponsorship deals and it killed our season.
The top PP unit is the same as last year. Kimmon Timonen is the only defenseman on the top PP and he certainly can control the play. Your theory isn't really sound.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:50 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
While I agree in principle. It is difficult to draw a parallel when even playing to expectations Van's defense is widely superior. Unfortunately, Philly has been unable to address the massive hole Pronger left. I do see them turning it around somewhat but they may need to consider dealing assets to chase a defenseman. Though if stay the freefall course. Who knows, they could trade up and draft Jones.
This is the best solution for Philly. They can't keep filling one hole by creating another. They have to draft a #1D and let him grow with all the young guys.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:04 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
The top PP unit is the same as last year. Kimmon Timonen is the only defenseman on the top PP and he certainly can control the play. Your theory isn't really sound.
Does Giroux usually play the point or rotate around? Cuz it seems like a waste to use him up there like the Flyers seemed to be doing last night

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:16 AM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
This will be fun to bump in 2 months.
Exactly. Philly is too good of a team to believe this thread is anything more than blowing off steam. They'll be fine.

MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:16 AM
number72

Schenn has been playing well - perhaps the best defender on the team.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:27 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Scanning through this thread and seeing a bunch of people blame Bryz and Luke Schenn is making it really easy to figure out who actually watches hockey and who just repeats what other people say to act like an analyst.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:44 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
The problem with Philly is simple. Too much change. The Schenn trade has worked out, but that should have been the only change they made. I think they should have held onto Jagr. I liked the look of their offense when he was there. The team just isn't meshing well at all and it shows when you watch the games. There is enough talent there to win the division but this looks like it is going to be a transition year because the numerous guttings have left them with very little NHL experience and no chemistry.

Also, and I've been saying it since 10-11, Laviolette needs to go. He was a great hire for the turnaround during 09-10 but as the roster has turned over, it is has become clearer and clearer that he is not the right coach for the team they have now.

I'd probably wait on hiring a longterm replacement though. There just isn't anyone available right now that seems like a great fit. See if some teams panic after this season and dump a good coach.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote