HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

This Philadelphia Team Is Really Bad

Old
02-01-2013, 11:57 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHI Flyers10 View Post
Yeah, I guess the 76 point year doesn't count as a good season.
Wow, that's practically Ericksson-esque! Maybe even Elias-esque!

Hockey Sports Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:59 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Giroux is still a great player.

Fans in Toronto asked Phil Kessel to produce with a 35 point Bozak as his center and Joey Crabb as his winger, he put up 30 goals and the fans were still pissed.

Giroux has lost Hartnell to injury and Jagr to UFA...and honestly I don't think Voracek is that good, and Schenn looks awful, he needs more time.

The entire team sucks right now. They're too good to finish bottom 5, so at least that is good news. I hope the Flyers win a few games soon...I don't want them drafting Jones.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:01 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Let's say it takes 55 points to make the playoffs. That means they have to go 0.637% rest of the way. Only four teams did that last season.

They've dug themselves a hole early on and it's not Bryzgalov's fault.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:10 AM
SMantzas
Church of Corsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
Except those guys play elite defense

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:10 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Giroux is still a great player.

Fans in Toronto asked Phil Kessel to produce with a 35 point Bozak as his center and Joey Crabb as his winger, he put up 30 goals and the fans were still pissed.

Giroux has lost Hartnell to injury and Jagr to UFA...and honestly I don't think Voracek is that good, and Schenn looks awful, he needs more time.

The entire team sucks right now. They're too good to finish bottom 5, so at least that is good news. I hope the Flyers win a few games soon...I don't want them drafting Jones.
The meltdown here would be epic though.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:11 AM
Wizeman*

The philly team is TANKING for Seth Jones. They are nowhere near as bad as their record is showing.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:12 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
It was his 3rd year in the league, 2nd full year. And for his 3rd season he was stuck behind Briere and Richards for the majority of the time and still put up 76 points. I think that's pretty impressive but maybe it's just me.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:13 AM
Jaded-Fan

Philly had some injury issues. Those will resolve themselves. The team has too much talent to miss the playoffs. And if they get in and get healthy anything can happen. I think that the obituaries are being written far too soon.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:15 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Let's say it takes 55 points to make the playoffs. That means they have to go 0.637% rest of the way. Only four teams did that last season.

Yeah. Early slumps make it almost impossible to climb into a playoff spot.

This slump is equivalent to a 14-15 game slump in an 82 game season.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:16 AM
MayonnaiseOreo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
Except those guys play elite defense
Giroux played extremely well defensively that year. Last year he wasn't quite as strong defensively but his points made up for that.

MayonnaiseOreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:21 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Philly had some injury issues. Those will resolve themselves. The team has too much talent to miss the playoffs. And if they get in and get healthy anything can happen. I think that the obituaries are being written far too soon.
Maybe I don't know. It seems like we're losing guys every game. Our lineup is going to be filled with AHL players soon and our AHL team is one of the worst in the league. I want to win, but having a short year of sucking and landing a top at the draft is pretty tempting IMO.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 02-02-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old
02-02-2013, 01:00 AM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Yeah. Early slumps make it almost impossible to climb into a playoff spot.

This slump is equivalent to a 14-15 game slump in an 82 game season.
Disagree. I don't see how making up 4 points in 40 games is some insurmountable mountain to climb.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:04 AM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
The philly team is TANKING for Seth Jones. They are nowhere near as bad as their record is showing.
In this shortened season, a team only needs to suffer two months of losing in order to benefit greatly from this year's draft. If there was any time to be content with losing, I think this season would be it. We've already reached the 1/6th mark of the season and it still feels as though the season just started. In a few months, the team could be debuting with another great talent.

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:13 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
In this shortened season, a team only needs to suffer two months of losing in order to benefit greatly from this year's draft. If there was any time to be content with losing, I think this season would be it. We've already reached the 1/6th mark of the season and it still feels as though the season just started. In a few months, the team could be debuting with another great talent.
Exactly I don't care as much because like you said it's 2 months. The Flyers have pieces there to be a good team already. Having the possibility of adding a player like Jones would do wonders for the Flyers blue line. I want to win first but the injuries keep piling up like they are now then the Flyers free fall. I wouldn't be the worst thing in the world IMO. The teams been competitive my entire life (minus the 06-07 season). I'm patient enough to wait a year especially with an aggressive GM and Owner.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:35 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Exactly I don't care as much because like you said it's 2 months. The Flyers have pieces there to be a good team already. Having the possibility of adding a player like Jones would do wonders for the Flyers blue line. I want to win first but the injuries keep piling up like they are now then the Flyers free fall. I wouldn't be the worst thing in the world IMO. The teams been competitive my entire life (minus the 06-07 season). I'm patient enough to wait a year especially with an aggressive GM and Owner.
As a Pittsburgh fan, I fully endorse and enjoy the idea of Philly fans talking about tanking.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:47 AM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post

How many teams did that over a 41-game stretch though rather than the whole season? I'd imagine the number is higher (Minnesota comes to mind) and more attainable.

Cannot count out a team like that just yet, not by a longshot.

As a Pens' fan though, I do not want to see them bottom out and get a top 5 pick... and I don't think that's even possible with that roster. If they miss, it won't be by too much. I thought they wouldn't be challenging for the division (unlike others) and I had them seventh in my standings pool, it being a cluster **** between 6-9. I'll stick with that but they need to shape up in a hurry or the hole they're in will be way too much to dig out of.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:20 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
As a Pittsburgh fan, I fully endorse and enjoy the idea of Philly fans talking about tanking.
Well if it stops the 1975 stuff then they even out.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:25 AM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Meh, unless Giroux gets hurt, I don't see the Flyers being a bottom feeder team this year.

Holmgren is going to lose patience sooner than later and make some deals trading prospects/picks for some veteran depth. He's too ballsy to give up on the season with the talent the Flyers have.

The losses of Jagr, JvR, and Hartnell being hurt has really impacted the Flyers scoring depth and rolling 4 lines that could hurt you offensively.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:33 AM
bobafettish*

the brothers schenn. theyre just not that good.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:43 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Meh, unless Giroux gets hurt, I don't see the Flyers being a bottom feeder team this year.

Holmgren is going to lose patience sooner than later and make some deals trading prospects/picks for some veteran depth. He's too ballsy to give up on the season with the talent the Flyers have.

The losses of Jagr, JvR, and Hartnell being hurt has really impacted the Flyers scoring depth and rolling 4 lines that could hurt you offensively.
I think it depends on how bad Simmonds injury is. If he's out for a while the Flyers are screwed. The top 6 will look this:

Briere-Giroux-Schenn
Read-Couturier-Knuble

It's not horrible if everybody's clicking but at the moment only Read is playing well, Briere just came back from an injury, Knuble's pretty limited, and Giroux, Schenn and Couturier have been dreadful.

If we keep losing guys to injuries and dropping games. Homer and Snider might just chalk this season up as a loss at the deadline and try to reload in the offseason.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:39 AM
LSnow

Even if you have good or even great defensive unit, if they cannot move the puck well they suck.. Which is their main problem, even if Flyers fans hated Carle, he is apparently missed.

Last edited by LSnow: 02-02-2013 at 05:40 AM.
LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:38 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
I think it depends on how bad Simmonds injury is. If he's out for a while the Flyers are screwed. The top 6 will look this:

Briere-Giroux-Schenn
Read-Couturier-Knuble

It's not horrible if everybody's clicking but at the moment only Read is playing well, Briere just came back from an injury, Knuble's pretty limited, and Giroux, Schenn and Couturier have been dreadful.

If we keep losing guys to injuries and dropping games. Homer and Snider might just chalk this season up as a loss at the deadline and try to reload in the offseason.
That's three guys with a combined 55 goals in their careers (Schenn, Read, and Couturier) along with a way over the hill Knuble in the top six, that's really bad

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:16 PM
MayonnaiseOreo

Quote:
This is pretty much how I feel. This season doesn't feel as "legit" as previous years because it's shortened. It feels like "oh well if we suck it'll be over soon AND we'll get a great/good draft pick." I want to win but I'm not sure this team even makes the playoffs. If they don't then we might as well try to get the best pick we can, though I don't condone tanking on purpose.

MayonnaiseOreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:18 PM
WarriorofTime

You're not coming in last Flyers fans. Give up the Seth Jones dreams. Too many lousy teams in the East.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:26 PM
PropJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
Even if you have good or even great defensive unit, if they cannot move the puck well they suck.. Which is their main problem, even if Flyers fans hated Carle, he is apparently missed.
The idea that Carle could move the puck is a fallacy. Watch the NJ series last year. If you put any type of pressure on him he'll give the puck away.

PropJoe is offline   Reply With Quote