HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Can You Do

Old
01-30-2013, 01:50 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
Overtime? Seemed they were together the entire game to me
They were. There's plenty to complain about regarding Ruff with Brennen drawing in (although I don't think he was expecting to be down to 5 defensemen for 17 minutes - I think he should have just rode the top two pairings)...but evidentially some still have to make **** up.

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:51 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
I think after a loss, you should be able to step on the logo a little bit.

Whoever it is saying that, has a very pronounced Canadian-ish accent. Stafford is from Wisconsin, so it is plausible.

Here's a question: WHY put the friggin' logo right in the middle of everything ON THE FLOOR if it's such a sin to walk on it? Maybe it should be suspended from the ceiling like a floating angel.
Well, it was definitely Stafford because a reporter in the room said as much.

Also, Stafford's father is Canadian and I know he played at least some minor hockey in Alberta, but I don't know how long he lived there.
He may have a bit of an accent thanks to those things.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:57 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Black View Post
Am I the only Sabres fan that has NEVER liked Hecht? He's slow, he never freaking hustles, he doesn't hit, his shot is terrible and when he does shoot it's from terrible angles and most likely a backhander. He's not a great passer either, so what do you guys see that I've been missing all these years? He's okay at defending, that's about it.
You're not the only one.

You are in the wrong though.

Guy isn't the same player he was 2-3 years ago, but in his prime, he was a premier defensive forward, fantastic on the PK, and was a part of every successful #1 line Buffalo had for the best period of 10 years.
Yes, his shot was rubbish - as was sometimes his shot selection - but he was an underrated passer, a beast on the boards and could hold onto the puck more than any other Sabre.

He's still a fine defensive player even if he doesn't bring it offensively anymore.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:19 AM
Luceni

Ugly: Frattin scores twice vs miller. enough said.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:39 AM
Grinder44

Good: Weber. Stood up for a teammate and held his own. Chipped in with an assist. Made an impact.

Bad: Leopold. Take the body! Are you kidding me?

Grinder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:23 AM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

vCash: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
You're not the only one.

You are in the wrong though.

Guy isn't the same player he was 2-3 years ago, but in his prime, he was a premier defensive forward, fantastic on the PK, and was a part of every successful #1 line Buffalo had for the best period of 10 years.
Yes, his shot was rubbish - as was sometimes his shot selection - but he was an underrated passer, a beast on the boards and could hold onto the puck more than any other Sabre.

He's still a fine defensive player even if he doesn't bring it offensively anymore.
Quoted for truth...he'll go down as one of my favorites to be quite honest...and that's what I think he gave/gives, which is an honest effort

ClearedButNotOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:36 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

I'd love to know where the team from the first game of this season went. Was fun watching them again, but now they're back to meh.

What gives?

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:37 AM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

Good- Grigs first goal

Bad- Myers not using his size, drifting out of position, getting pushed around in front of Miller and laying down behind the net

Ugly- Ennis trying to take faceoffs

I can't say Miller played bad, Myers quit on him and Sekera jumps out of his slot, thats 3 goals against right there.

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:25 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
I'd love to know where the team from the first game of this season went. Was fun watching them again, but now they're back to meh.

What gives?
What makes this different than any other year?

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:30 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
I laughed when Ruff put Ellis in and benched Grigerenko at the end of the third. Such a spineless move. I hate it when coaches play not to lose instead of going for the win. The kid ties the game for you and you bench him so you have a better chance of getting into overtime. Can he go away now please?
Been watching the same old song and dance for 15 years now.

Doesn't change.

Old
01-30-2013, 05:46 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
Good- Grigs first goal

Bad- Myers not using his size, drifting out of position, getting pushed around in front of Miller and laying down behind the net

Ugly- Ennis trying to take faceoffs

I can't say Miller played bad, Myers quit on him and Sekera jumps out of his slot, thats 3 goals against right there.
Myers seems to be performed as badly as he was when he was last paired with Regehr. He seems to work best with Sekera (Note: I don't know the defensive line combo's from last night). Oh and can we now finally accept that Regehr isn't a top line D anymore please?

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:39 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Maybe 3-4 games don't seem to mean much but 7 of our next 9 games are in the division.

3 vs Boston
2 vs Montreal
2 vs Ottawa

If they don't fix this mess, we're toast by Valentines Day.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:48 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by S319R11S16 View Post
Maybe 3-4 games don't seem to mean much but 7 of our next 9 games are in the division.

3 vs Boston
2 vs Montreal
2 vs Ottawa

If they don't fix this mess, we're toast by Valentines Day.
Psssshhhh. All part of the plan to sink to 14th or 15th so that we can make our late-season run to 9th or 10th.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:57 AM
BowieSabresFan

I have to admit, between the main board string on the hit, and the trolls last night, my opinion of Leafs fans has taken a bit of a hit.

Stay classy Leafs fans...

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:58 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Psssshhhh. All part of the plan to sink to 14th or 15th so that we can make our late-season run to 9th or 10th.
they don't do that idk what you are talking about

Old
01-30-2013, 07:13 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
They can't really wait to "fix this". They either need to get that this is still a fundementally flawed roster and continue a youth movement or they need to make a deal to band-aid this further. 0-3-1 in a 48 game season is 8% of the season, basically akin to a 7-game losing streak in a full season. There aren't enough games to **** around and play like this any more.

01-30-2013, 07:19 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
They can't really wait to "fix this". They either need to get that this is still a fundementally flawed roster and continue a youth movement or they need to make a deal to band-aid this further. 0-3-1 in a 48 game season is 8% of the season, basically akin to a 7-game losing streak in a full season. There aren't enough games to **** around and play like this any more.
That's the thing, waiting is Regier's specialty. I have little doubt Regier believes they gave away at least two points over the last two home games--blowing a 3rd period lead vs Carolina, and outplaying the Laffs last night--and, thus, they would be in the top-8 right now if things broke the way they should have statistically. Accordingly, Regier will think it's silly to panic, and the youngsters will improve as the season progresses, and they'll be fine once Ennis snaps to.

I mean, we know that's what he's thinking, don't we? There's years of evidence.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:36 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
That's the thing, waiting is Regier's specialty. I have little doubt Regier believes they gave away at least two points over the last two home games--blowing a 3rd period lead vs Carolina, and outplaying the Laffs last night--and, thus, they would be in the top-8 right now if things broke the way they should have statistically. Accordingly, Regier will think it's silly to panic, and the youngsters will improve as the season progresses, and they'll be fine once Ennis snaps to.

I mean, we know that's what he's thinking, don't we? There's years of evidence.
Yep, that's the MO. Regier without the financial handcuffs is still the same Regier -- years of conditioning or just personality, or perhaps a mix of both, aren't going to change his approach. He spent the summer building another roster of questionable overall parts, for the second summer in a row. Now we get yet more crap hockey where not only are the players being outplayed, his work wife is being outcoached.

Not winning for MacKinnon. Sinking for Seth. Roster pewing for Drouin. It's on.

My fear remains that they'll try to eek into 8th and wind up 9/10/11 and yet again miss out on a high-end prospect. The longer it takes to re-trench and actually build something, the longer this mediocrity will continue.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:38 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

I don't understand sometimes. People want Grig on the top line, but yet look the other way on his mistakes. You can't have both. IMO, he's where he is supposed to be. On the 3rd line.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:49 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
I don't understand sometimes. People want Grig on the top line, but yet look the other way on his mistakes. You can't have both. IMO, he's where he is supposed to be. On the 3rd line.
He was circumstantially on for three goals against -- he didn't have a direct hand in them, just a rough night in that regard. However, when they needed a goal late in the game, Ruff pulled his favorite pokemon, err Matt Ellis out to center the third line. That left Grigorenko spending most of his time sitting on the bench with John Scott and the space left with Kaleta off to the hospital.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:52 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
He was circumstantially on for three goals against -- he didn't have a direct hand in them, just a rough night in that regard. However, when they needed a goal late in the game, Ruff pulled his favorite pokemon, err Matt Ellis out to center the third line. That left Grigorenko spending most of his time sitting on the bench with John Scott and the space left with Kaleta off to the hospital.
Not shocked though.

Thats what Lindy always does. Turns to guys who can't get the job done.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:02 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Hrmm, I recall he was pretty bad on the Leafs' second goal. I'd have to watch it again to be sure.

He is not good in his own end right now.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:04 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
My fear remains that they'll try to eek into 8th and wind up 9/10/11 and yet again miss out on a high-end prospect. The longer it takes to re-trench and actually build something, the longer this mediocrity will continue.
That's been the MO for the a long while...

Mind you, while i hate mediocrity, I really detest teams that stockpiled the best talent in the world by being absolute **** for years - Pens, Oilers, etc.... I don't care.

I can't wait for the new lottery to take effect, hopefully the 9th and 10th teams get some insane luck, at least those guys tried.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:09 AM
Dixon Ward
Fire SOMEONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by S319R11S16 View Post
Not shocked though.

Thats what Lindy always does. Turns to guys who can't get the job done.
it's obvious that his priority was to get to overtime. so, in that sense, ellis got the job done. it's a conservative move, and i see why it annoys people; but, they desperately needed to get a point out of that game.

Dixon Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:14 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon Ward View Post
it's obvious that his priority was to get to overtime. so, in that sense, ellis got the job done. it's a conservative move, and i see why it annoys people; but, they desperately needed to get a point out of that game.
I get it that you want to be defensive in your own end, but with the facoff in the leafs zone it was a dumb call. If he really wanted someone other than Grigs to take the draw, fine. Call your timeout and let a few guys rest up for an offensive draw. Let Ott take it. He was money all night and see what can happen. Ellis had no business being on the ice.

Taking that game to overtime gave the Leafs a point too.