HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Visnovsky considers staying in Bratislava (UPD: Suspended by NYI Jan 18)

Old
01-16-2013, 09:08 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Visnovsky considers staying in Bratislava (UPD: Suspended by NYI Jan 18)

Last thread was over the limit, continue here.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:18 AM
holyprime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson
To go away overseas long-term for 3+ months, and to go on a 3-game road-trip for 5 days or so, are very different things.
It's not about 3 months, its about 2 weeks (according to his statement), and the first 5 days of these 14 he'll spend on that road-trip. Yeah..

holyprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:22 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyprime View Post
It's not about 3 months, its about 2 weeks (according to his statement), and the first 5 days of these 14 he'll spend on that road-trip. Yeah..
You misunderstand... The 3+ months relates to the Islanders, as opposed to a 5-day KHL road-trip.

Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:27 AM
CCCP

Why does the thread title is still saying "Visnovsky considers staying in Bratislava, possibly not joining the Islanders 2.0", when his agent said that Visnovsky is coming to NYI?

CCCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:29 AM
April Ethereal
You are Wrong

vCash: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
Why does the thread title is still saying "Visnovsky considers staying in Bratislava, possibly not joining the Islanders 2.0", when his agent said that Visnovsky is coming to NYI?
Because we're still not sure if he's going to nut up and show his face.

April Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:36 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Off-topic discussions can be left in the old, locked thread. This thread is for discussion of Visnovsky's situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
When he joins the Islanders, we'll change the thread title or close it altogether. As of now, it contains no false information.

Last edited by hototogisu: 01-16-2013 at 09:51 AM.
hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:36 AM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
Because we're still not sure if he's going to nut up and show his face.
Seems pretty clear to me that he is going to show his face.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:37 AM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
When he joins the Islanders, we'll change the thread title or close it altogether. As of now, it contains no false information.
Got it.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:48 AM
MoreGore

Ice size has so much to do with success at the top levels of hockey. Rundblad won best defenseman in the SEL, but is taking a long time just to get used to the lack of space on NA ice. On the otherhand, stars from the NHL do not dominate in what should be lesser leagues. The extra space puts a premium on skating but you have more time to make plays. What works on one ice does not necessarily work on the other.

The quality of NA and European teams is close enough that ice is significant deciding factor. Canada may not have the best of the best anymore, but they still have the depth that you won't find elsewhere. That will close up once the KHL and SEL etc improve their level of professionalism in regards to off ice training, salaries, schedule etc.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:53 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 521
Snow and Weight have spoken to Vis at least 4x by the sound out it.

Vis latest: my ill son needs me at home for the next 2-3 weeks, so I'll ask if I can stay and continue to play with my KHL team for those 2-3 weeks.

The only part of Botta's advice I'd add to, would be telling Vis he does not have NYI consent to play any KHL games, until his NYI contract has ended.

80 days vs. a full yr.

https://twitter.com/ChrisBottaNHL
Chris Botta‏@ChrisBottaNHL
Isles should tell Lubo, Be with your son. We'll toll the contract. Be here in Sept so you're an Isle for a year instead of 80 days.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
The only part of Botta's advice I'd add to, would be telling Vis he does not have NYI consent to play any KHL games, until his NYI contract has ended.
Why? If you act out of spite, expect spite in return. The Golden Rule.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:57 AM
MrFunnyWobbl
Why?

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
Will he stay or will he go

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:11 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFunnyWobbl View Post
Will he stay or will he go
Slovan DJ played The Clash's Should I Stay Or Should I Go? at the arena during Višňovský's and Sekera's post-game supposed farewell party on Sunday before last. The next day, Monday, Višňovský announced he would like to stay playing in the KHL this season.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

He better get his ass over here. P.O.S.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:29 AM
April Ethereal
You are Wrong

vCash: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Maybe he should honor his contract then.

I know contracts are just toilet paper over there, but here, when you sign on the dotted you, you stand by it.

April Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:44 AM
Elever
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Not that I care whether he stays there or comes as a non-NYI fan, I love how worked up this issue has made people including ones from teams like the Rangers.

How dare a player with an NHL contract think about playing elsewhere!

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
ya! move across the country you *****! go to one of the lowest finishing teams of the last 5 years while rooting up your family ****er! Visnovsky might be the worst person ever born, ever

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Preach, preach, preach!

Visnovsky should retire. He lacks the commitment to be a professional hockey player. He wants to play like an Amateur (in the exalted sense) for his country, despite having a binding professional contract. His ability to do that is predicated on him collecting the large front-loaded portion of his contract, and skipping out on the back end.

So really, what you should be saying is if you demand justice, you should demand justice in return. And that is exactly what Islanders fans are saying. If he wants to quit on the back end of his contract, he should quit, period.

Personally, I don't want him to come anymore. I think it would be bad for the Islanders, and bad for him. He is not acting like a professional, and I doubt his motivation. His Islanders teammates will resent him, and that will put him at some risk on the ice. Basically, he should retire unless he's going to come immediately and prostrate himself before his teammates. What he says to fans is irrelevant - the worst we can do is boo.

The option for him to play in the KHL and show up next year is ridiculous. The Islanders would take on all of the risk as they are held to their end of a guaranteed contract, an idea that many on this board seem incapable of understanding. All the while, the Islanders are left twisting in the wind over whatever Lube-O might decide next year. This is not spite. This is protecting your interests.

I think it's utterly ridiculous to blame this on a health issue, and then want to play out of town. If this is something Europeans can understand while North Americans cannot, I've got to put that down as a cultural difference.

I would never play down any child health issue. When my son was 2 months old, he was in the PICU for 4 days with RSV (a lower-respiratory infection that's very tough on infants) getting O2. His recovery was never in doubt so I suppose it was not "serious", but I worked only half-time while this was going on (my wife was at the hospital for all 4 days straight). I travel, and I luckily had no plans, but I would have cancelled them without a second thought. If Visnovsky is going through something similar, I feel for him. But if he wants to go travel with his hockey club in Europe while saying he can't come to the US because of this illness, I think he's a completely full of it. If there's a health problem, stay home, skip hockey, support your family, don't crash cars.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Nolanitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubrus Coffee Maker View Post
ya! move across the country you *****! go to one of the lowest finishing teams of the last 5 years while rooting up your family ****er! Visnovsky might be the worst person ever born, ever
Because they have been among the lowest performing teams they now have a wealth of young talent. As far as the move, NYC is the 3rd most visited place in the world and he would live 30 minutes away. It could be like a family vacation for 4 months, finish your contract, flip a house, ..... NY is a great place to live.

Nolanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:01 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 521
Quote:
I love how you try to spin this, as Vis somehow acting in a standup manor.

Vis is backing off his 'I'm not leaving my KHL team' statements because the KHL front office no longer supports his decision to stay.

Snow has zero reason to trust Vis word or try to appease Vis. Give him the choice of 80 days vs. a full yr. If he chooses not to report, toll his contract, while refusing to give consent for him to play KHL games.

Then put this mess aside and concentrate on the upcoming 48 game season.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:22 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
His son is ill and he needs to be with him yet hes still playing and travling for his KHL team....

That actually sounds like a win win to me...

Vis gets to help his KHL team and thier playoff run an next year the Isles can have him for a full season and he could start fresh in training camp...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
That actually sounds like a win win to me...

Vis gets to help his KHL team and their playoff run and next year the Isles can have him for a full season and he could start fresh in training camp...
Absolutely! I think it's pretty likely Višňovský would accept a proposal like that.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:25 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Preach, preach, preach!

Visnovsky should retire. He lacks the commitment to be a professional hockey player. He wants to play like an Amateur (in the exalted sense) for his country, despite having a binding professional contract. His ability to do that is predicated on him collecting the large front-loaded portion of his contract, and skipping out on the back end.

So really, what you should be saying is if you demand justice, you should demand justice in return. And that is exactly what Islanders fans are saying. If he wants to quit on the back end of his contract, he should quit, period.

Personally, I don't want him to come anymore. I think it would be bad for the Islanders, and bad for him. He is not acting like a professional, and I doubt his motivation. His Islanders teammates will resent him, and that will put him at some risk on the ice. Basically, he should retire unless he's going to come immediately and prostrate himself before his teammates. What he says to fans is irrelevant - the worst we can do is boo.

The option for him to play in the KHL and show up next year is ridiculous. The Islanders would take on all of the risk as they are held to their end of a guaranteed contract, an idea that many on this board seem incapable of understanding. All the while, the Islanders are left twisting in the wind over whatever Lube-O might decide next year. This is not spite. This is protecting your interests.

I think it's utterly ridiculous to blame this on a health issue, and then want to play out of town. If this is something Europeans can understand while North Americans cannot, I've got to put that down as a cultural difference.

I would never play down any child health issue. When my son was 2 months old, he was in the PICU for 4 days with RSV (a lower-respiratory infection that's very tough on infants) getting O2. His recovery was never in doubt so I suppose it was not "serious", but I worked only half-time while this was going on (my wife was at the hospital for all 4 days straight). I travel, and I luckily had no plans, but I would have cancelled them without a second thought. If Visnovsky is going through something similar, I feel for him. But if he wants to go travel with his hockey club in Europe while saying he can't come to the US because of this illness, I think he's a completely full of it. If there's a health problem, stay home, skip hockey, support your family, don't crash cars.

Cheers,

Dan-o
plus if he does come I could totally see Matty Marts slaping him around a bit....wont be good...

Old
01-16-2013, 11:25 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Absolutely! I think it's pretty likely Višňovský would accept a proposal like that.
yeahhh.... then he could just retire in the summer

Old
01-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Faterson

He has repeated several times he does not wish to retire yet. Certainly, if there were no interest in him in the NHL any longer, he'd at least like to put in another KHL season for Slovan. (Although before he joined Slovan in September, he had allegedly been in talks with SKA St. Petersburg, the KHL's wealthiest club, and he might try and join a club like that, too, instead of Slovan.)