HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Paul Kelly says QC & Toronto to get expansion teams; Daly disputes assertion

Old
01-31-2013, 09:38 AM
Hamilton Tigers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post
Bullseye!
And that's why I always hold out hope for the NHL to come to Hamilton. If money can be made by the parties involved ( NHL, MLSE, Sabres...) then a team is very possible.

Hamilton Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:44 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

30 teams is the hill Bill Daly will die on.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:51 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

They will go 32, no question.

And only a couple of so-called connaisseurs (TSN RDS etc...) will pretend they won't because of the lack of talented players etc...

This is blah blah blah. The boys care about their bank accounts, not about the product.

QcBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:52 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
St. Louis is probably the best comparison. St. Louis is slightly bigger, but both are within the same state, and both cities experience regular winters. Both cities have NFL and MLB teams. Both cities have reasonably strong college sports cultures. If Kansas City gets a team, a great rivalry would be formed.
Great point, can't believe I missed St. Louis on that DMA list, slightly bigger than Kansas City, but yeah right there in the same state. Good call.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:37 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post
They will go 32, no question.

And only a couple of so-called connaisseurs (TSN RDS etc...) will pretend they won't because of the lack of talented players etc...

This is blah blah blah. The boys care about their bank accounts, not about the product.
I repeat this argument,... I think few here are arguing here the League won't expand, and most are thinking that it'll happen in the next 2 to 4 years. The serious doubt that I have, and I think others, is that those 2 expansion locations have been decided on. Certainly I'd think that Quebec City has been told that they are high on the priority list, but then QC might also be a relocation destination if so needed. AND, if QC is used as a relocation destination, then what does that do to the assured expansion idea?? Still could happen, but Seattle and Markham ?? Would they be the definite locations?

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:56 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
I repeat this argument,... I think few here are arguing here the League won't expand, and most are thinking that it'll happen in the next 2 to 4 years. The serious doubt that I have, and I think others, is that those 2 expansion locations have been decided on. Certainly I'd think that Quebec City has been told that they are high on the priority list, but then QC might also be a relocation destination if so needed. AND, if QC is used as a relocation destination, then what does that do to the assured expansion idea?? Still could happen, but Seattle and Markham ?? Would they be the definite locations?
What I do know is the fan base is ready in Qc city and expressed itself.

Still waiting for the same in Markham and Seattle, no sorry, I know it won't happen in Markham and Seattle.

Anyway, the PHX thing needs to be adressed first one way or the other and I am not expecting anything before late may or early june.

No way Quebec city would be setting up NHL style renovations, with a slight emergency feeling, to the old Colisee last spring if PKP was not told to stay near the phone. My opinion. I can be wrong.

League is not looking for Qc as a market, it can be looking at a multimedia giant to own a team, like Rogers owns the Blue Jays.

Again, at least, they won'y have to send megabucks to Qc city. That in itself is a relief.

We all know Gary will be as happy to come here as he was to go to Winnipeg. Admitting a failure is certainly the worst nightmare for him.

Last edited by QcBlizzard: 01-31-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old
01-31-2013, 11:15 AM
azaloum90

but again, that begs the question(s) of the poster above you...

Is QC an expansion or relocation site?
Regarldess of question 1, which team will move first (phoenix is an obvious choice, but there are other struggling teams)?
What about expansion? 32 is an obvious landing... and what if another round of playoffs is added (Seeds 8 and 9 play a 3 game series for 8th place)? Boom, there is more incentive to not only ice a better product, but also to bring further revenue for specific teams.

I think Gary might be finalizing some sort of relocation scheme with Jamison (or another owner group) for the coyotes. I'm sure QC is high on that list. No doubt that other cities in the country are sports markets, they just havent been tapped yet.

Lastly, I recall someone posting somewhere on this forum regarding Winnipeg and it's relocation.
He noted that Winnipeg was originally a solid team, but a faulty economy and struggling performance forced a relocation of the team to phoenix... Now Winnipeg is back, and we've realized that Winnipeg only NOW has the economy and arena to support a hockey team, and that is what has been necessary for a team to function and operate.

Phoenix has an arena, but not the economy.. In 5 years, perhaps it will! But we don't know that. Perhaps Phoenix WILL survive in it's place... we don't know. We have to see how this plays out

azaloum90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:24 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
but again, that begs the question(s) of the poster above you...

Is QC an expansion or relocation site?
Regarldess of question 1, which team will move first (phoenix is an obvious choice, but there are other struggling teams)?
What about expansion? 32 is an obvious landing... and what if another round of playoffs is added (Seeds 8 and 9 play a 3 game series for 8th place)? Boom, there is more incentive to not only ice a better product, but also to bring further revenue for specific teams.

I think Gary might be finalizing some sort of relocation scheme with Jamison (or another owner group) for the coyotes. I'm sure QC is high on that list. No doubt that other cities in the country are sports markets, they just havent been tapped yet.

Lastly, I recall someone posting somewhere on this forum regarding Winnipeg and it's relocation.
He noted that Winnipeg was originally a solid team, but a faulty economy and struggling performance forced a relocation of the team to phoenix... Now Winnipeg is back, and we've realized that Winnipeg only NOW has the economy and arena to support a hockey team, and that is what has been necessary for a team to function and operate.

Phoenix has an arena, but not the economy.. In 5 years, perhaps it will! But we don't know that. Perhaps Phoenix WILL survive in it's place... we don't know. We have to see how this plays out
Is Qc a relocation or expansion candidate?

At this very moment, I'd believe its a relo candidate but this status can change IMHO.

There is no problem in posting Qc city is not candidate of whatever guys if its your belief. I respect everyone's opinion here as long as its not only based on twitter or facebook lol

Old
01-31-2013, 11:40 AM
Anisimovs AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Toronto II would have to pay the Leafs to enter the market BUT with the Leafs now owned by Rogers/Bell a deal can be made as the games would wind up on either Sportsnet or TSN anyways.

Markham would not hurt Buffalo at all like Hamilton would.

Quebec would make money from day 1 with French TVA Sports and Sportsnet getting the games. The Nords had a strong following in Montreal going back to the WHA as their Sunday night TV games rivaled what the Habs were doing on Saturday.

Back in the 70's, Channel 22 in Burlington, Vermont also got big ratings in Montreal with Bruins games.

Seattle will most likely get a relocated team as their arena gets close to opening. Anaheim, Columbus and Florida are shaky.

I also would not bet against San Francisco being in the mix with their new building. San Jose is 50 miles away but night as well be 500 as that is a brutal drive during the week.

Kansas City has a wonderful arena and yet both the NHL and NBA have no interest in the market.
If by shaky you mean cannot leave the city until 2039, then yeah, columbus is shaky

Anisimovs AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:56 AM
MoreOrr
B4

I think that just because the Markham plan is insisting on public funding means that they do not have a guarantee from the NHL that they will get a team. Getting public funding then is a way of covering their financial *****, because without a team there won't be the windfall that could fairly quickly make up for the cost of construction.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:04 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
I would hope that Quebec and Seattle would be the highest priority for relocation or expansion.

MeestaDeteta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:14 PM
TheSmokingPun
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
St. Louis is probably the best comparison. St. Louis is slightly bigger, but both are within the same state, and both cities experience regular winters. Both cities have NFL and MLB teams. Both cities have reasonably strong college sports cultures. If Kansas City gets a team, a great rivalry would be formed.
You can't underline that enough. STL claims to hate Chicago more at everything but there is a ton of resentment between both metros. Royals-Cards games get nasty between fans, whenever the Rams and Chiefs play a regular season game, same like that. Royals really dropped the ball turning down the move that Milwaukee took to the NL Central back in 97, but that's typical David Glass shenanigans.

If you put a KC team in the same division as STL, might just be one of the best new rivalries to come out of the league in quite a while. Get a bunch of KC fans to hop on the Amtrak over to Scottrade and reverse for the fixture at Sprint Center.

TheSmokingPun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:24 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmokingPun View Post
You can't underline that enough. STL claims to hate Chicago more at everything but there is a ton of resentment between both metros. Royals-Cards games get nasty between fans, whenever the Rams and Chiefs play a regular season game, same like that. Royals really dropped the ball turning down the move that Milwaukee took to the NL Central back in 97, but that's typical David Glass shenanigans.

If you put a KC team in the same division as STL, might just be one of the best new rivalries to come out of the league in quite a while. Get a bunch of KC fans to hop on the Amtrak over to Scottrade and reverse for the fixture at Sprint Center.
No we really don't hate the Bears or the White Sox. Just the Cubs and Blackhawks. But really, again, the Cubs rivalry has died down a little because they've been awful. I almost feel bad for them. Almost. I hate the Reds more, now, than the Cubs.

For that same reason, it's hard to hate the Royals. I wasn't alive the last time they actually had a good season. I want them to have a good season just so I can dislike them. Same with the Chiefs, though at least recently we've both been bad.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:31 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelef View Post
Really? Youth hockey in Toronto is declining at a rapid rate.
Which is why the GTA is supplying a generation's worth of young players like Stamkos, Tavares, Pietrangelo, Subban Brothers, Hamilton, Seguin, Hodgson, Del Zotto, Strome, Monahan, McDavid, Brendan Smith to the NHL?

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:33 PM
TheSmokingPun
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
For that same reason, it's hard to hate the Royals. I wasn't alive the last time they actually had a good season. I want them to have a good season just so I can dislike them. Same with the Chiefs, though at least recently we've both been bad.
Royals are going all in for this season, so hopefully things change. One winning season in my entire life. :/

But yeah, KC vs STL rivalry would be vicious. I mean the fact that we all want St. Louis to get an MLS team simply so we could hate them shows it well enough.

We're 2.65 times more populated than QC and full of money. Just seems like more "Flyover Country" discussion whenever we come up. Believe it or not, we're more than cows, BBQ, and hicks. This town is crawling with hipsters populating the hockey and soccer bars locally.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:39 PM
azaloum90

Quote:
Royals are going all in for this season, so hopefully things change. One winning season in my entire life. :/

But yeah, KC vs STL rivalry would be vicious. I mean the fact that we all want St. Louis to get an MLS team simply so we could hate them shows it well enough.

We're 2.65 times more populated than QC and full of money. Just seems like more "Flyover Country" discussion whenever we come up. Believe it or not, we're more than cows, BBQ, and hicks. This town is crawling with hipsters populating the hockey and soccer bars locally.
just looking at the map, I have to agree with this.

azaloum90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:25 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:

Ha, this is awesome. You'd think they'd have one, isn't there a pretty decent history of the sport in the US there?

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:53 PM
TheSmokingPun
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
Ha, this is awesome. You'd think they'd have one, isn't there a pretty decent history of the sport in the US there?
A certain 1st baseman was rumored at one point to want a team. Of course, he relocated away from the Cardinals and the guy who owned the NASL squad was a complete trickster when it came to money for both the men's and women's teams. St. Louis has about as much chance at getting a MLS squad as Montreal has of getting another MLB team.

They've lost the Soccer City USA title in the last 10-20 years to Portland and Kansas City, though I think we could probably claim it on the amount of youth players alone.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:10 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Which is why the GTA is supplying a generation's worth of young players like Stamkos, Tavares, Pietrangelo, Subban Brothers, Hamilton, Seguin, Hodgson, Del Zotto, Strome, Monahan, McDavid, Brendan Smith to the NHL?
The drop off is coming. All those guys were born before 1995.

Melrose Munch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:19 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Actually if you look around the league and cherry pick 23 GTA players you've easily got a Stanley Cup winner. Not a bad supply of talent from one single city.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:32 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton Tigers View Post
And that's why I always hold out hope for the NHL to come to Hamilton. If money can be made by the parties involved ( NHL, MLSE, Sabres...) then a team is very possible.
as if your avatar doesn't already say that...

And are posters in this tread actually saying that hosting a UFC event "means something" regarding the viability of sports franchises playing there?! Now I HAVE seen everything. That's like saying "hey, come on over to the swap meet at the old drive-in." (ask your parents)

Butch 19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:00 PM
Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
Promoting the NHL and promoting hockey are two different things.
No they aren't.

Tough Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:54 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Dawg View Post
No they aren't.
Yes they are.

NHL is a corporation selling a product.

Hockey Canada promotes the sport.

This is not hard to understand.

Melrose Munch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:41 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...o.html?cmp=rss

Daly on HNIC Radio yesterday talking about expansion/Phoenix, etc. (audio)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:47 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Yes they are.

NHL is a corporation selling a product.

Hockey Canada promotes the sport.

This is not hard to understand.
And by promoting that sport, you create more fans of the game who in turn buy your product.

It's not that hard to understand.

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote