HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Blues Shot Differential is Off the Charts

Old
01-30-2013, 04:04 AM
CPHawksFan
That's Hockey Baby!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Nope. The Hawks were outshot by the Blues and won.
Checked NHL.com again...yep you're right...Blues have not been outshot in any of their games so far.

CPHawksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:05 AM
RANDOMH3RO

They're playing like it's their year. I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the finals.

RANDOMH3RO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:25 AM
bewbies

Halak and Elliot both were very good statistically last year but I really don't think either of them is a top echelon goalie. The Blues do a very good job of keeping shots coming from outside of high percentage areas and that gives the goalies a lot of relatively easy work.

When they weren't able to do this (versus the Kings last year) both Halak and Elliot were exposed pretty badly. The chances we were getting on Quick were similar throughout the series, but Quick was keeping them out. That being said, both Elliot and Halak are perfect for the system that we play: they play good angles, play very well positionally, stop the first shot, etc.

bewbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:49 AM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPHawksFan View Post
Hawks outshot the Blues and won...just sayin'

You could tell the Blues were gassed. It was the back end of a B2B and their 3rd in 4. With this condensed schedule, that's going to happen on occasion to every team.

Mike Liut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:59 AM
Red08

Blues don't play anything close to a neutral zone trap. They have one of the most aggressive forechecks in the league. Often times sending 2 guys in to forecheck. Even with the lead they still have an aggresive forecheck. Another reason for the large shot differential is, like others have stated, smart defenseman.

This system is NOT any different than last year. I realize last year that the Blues frustrated a lot of team fanbases and the uneducated ones immediately called "TRAP!" If you can't beat 'em, call 'em boring...

Red08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:07 PM
BrokenFace

The Blues have been good defensively for several years before Hitchcock got there, holding other teams to relatively few shots. They made Chris Mason look pretty good for 2 seasons and made Legace an all-star in 2008. The biggest difference Hitchcock made was that he improved their transition game and actually taught the players how to enter the offensive zone without chipping and chasing. Now that the Blues spend more time possessing the puck in the offensive zone than they did before Hitchcock, they give up even fewer shots per game than they did over the last few years. I'm a Blues fan, but I say that Hitchcock has made them far more exciting. Not just because they are winning now, but because they have a real transition game now.

BrokenFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:53 PM
dtrain

The Blues have the best collection of two-way forwards in the league. Even the so called soft players are good defensively. With at least one good puck-mover on each defensive pair the Blues don't spend much time in their own zone. They cycle the puck well and wear opponents down physically.

dtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:53 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Wow, thats a high number. That's their style and it works.

01-30-2013, 12:55 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Seconded, this Blues team is eerily similar in both build and play style to the '98-'01 Stars.
They lack the offensive superstars that the Stars had. I'd also say Halak compares to his contemporaries less favourably than Befour did to his

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:55 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Boring Hitchcock hockey

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:15 PM
taylord22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowDash View Post
Boring Hitchcock hockey
Mclellan often institutes the exact same system...

...also, we're 5th in goals...what's not exciting?

taylord22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:16 PM
bewbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
They lack the offensive superstars that the Stars had. I'd also say Halak compares to his contemporaries less favourably than Befour did to his
I dunno about that. The 98-99 Stars didn't have a ton of firepower. Modano is pretty much the only guy today's Blues wouldn't match up with man for man, and Perron or Tarasenko might even get to that level offensively pretty soon.

Also I'm going to do a direct comparison between the 98 Stars and the Blues because that owns.

Modano = ?
Brett Hull = Perron
Nieuwendyk = Backes
Langenbrunner = Langenbrunner
Lehtinen = Oshie
Zubov = Pietrangelo
Sydor = Shattenkirk
Hatcher = Jackman
Verbeek = Sobotka
Matvichuk = Polak
Keane = Steen

It works pretty much perfectly. Blues just need Guy Carbonneau and Craig Ludwig to flesh things out. I propose Eric Belanger and Volchenkov to fill those roles.

bewbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:22 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewbies View Post
I dunno about that. The 98-99 Stars didn't have a ton of firepower. Modano is pretty much the only guy today's Blues wouldn't match up with man for man, and Perron or Tarasenko might even get to that level offensively pretty soon.

Also I'm going to do a direct comparison between the 98 Stars and the Blues because that owns.

Modano = ?
Brett Hull = Perron
Nieuwendyk = Backes
Lehtinen = Oshie
Zubov = Pietrangelo
Sydor = Shattenkirk
Hatcher = Jackman
Verbeek = Sobotka
Matvichuk = Polak
Keane = Steen

It works pretty much perfectly. Blues just need Guy Carbonneau and Craig Ludwig to flesh things out. I propose Eric Belanger and Volchenkov to fill those roles.
Quite a good list actually. But I don't think Perron matches up with Hull just yet, Hull was still a 30 goal scorer 2 of his 3 years in Dallas, which is something Perron hasn't done. Also, old Langenbrunner matches up better with Berglund than new Langenbrunner IMO

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:33 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Only boring teams outshoot their opponents by that much. Most exciting teams simply want to play a close game.
Its gratifying to see fans of other teams illustrating how asinine that 'boring' argument is. Thanks for this.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:16 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
What I find hilarious is that when we had a national broadcast, the commentators were gushing over our transitions and comparing us to the great Red Wing teams of recent.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:23 PM
BergMan
#BackesForSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
What I find hilarious is that when we had a national broadcast, the commentators were gushing over our transitions and comparing us to the great Red Wing teams of recent.
Yea it was almost funny how often they kept mentioning it, but i enjoyed every second of it haha

BergMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:24 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
They're a perfect storm kinda team, just like Chicago was in 2010. They have so much talent on affordable contracts this year.
The crazy part is they are the lowest spending team in the league (whereas your Chicago example was up against the ceiling).

They could likely keep this roster together for many years.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:03 PM
ScubaSteve*

Alex Pietrangelo is a very nice player, but he is nowhere close to Zubov.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:19 PM
tony d
Come along, Bort.

Their system, they play the defensive game to a tee.

01-30-2013, 04:27 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 203
Yeah.. they're stacked and hungry.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Then again, national commentating as far as I've seen is the least informed.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:56 PM
PrototypeX85

Last the Blues outshot the Ducks 53-12 or something similar. It occured during one of Anaheim's many slow starts to a season, but still one of the biggest shot differentials in a game that I can recall seeing.

PrototypeX85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:10 PM
taylord22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrototypeX85 View Post
Last the Blues outshot the Ducks 53-12 or something similar. It occured during one of Anaheim's many slow starts to a season, but still one of the biggest shot differentials in a game that I can recall seeing.
Take note, detractors (which mainly seem to be Sharks' fans for some odd reason), that was in the Davis Payne era...we've outshot teams by big margins for over 3 years. Hitchcock has simply implemented a back-up defensive system (the extreme back-check) and a far more potent transition game. Hence the increase in GF and decrease in GA.

taylord22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:31 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewbies View Post

Modano = ?
Brett Hull = Perron
Nieuwendyk = Backes
Lehtinen = Oshie
Zubov = Pietrangelo
Sydor = Shattenkirk
Hatcher = Jackman
Verbeek = Sobotka
Matvichuk = Polak
Keane = Steen

For the Blues, you are missing some key parts too, like Tarasenko, AMac and Berglund.

Mike Liut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Louie the Blue
Because it's a trap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plante View Post
Hilarious.

Comical.

Clearly it was Brian "superman" elliot.
Elliot and Halak, combined, last time I checked had the 7th highest GAA in the league. Granted, I expect that to go down quite a bit, but still. I'm not expecting Elliott to have as great as a year he had last season, but something possibly close to it. Same with Halak, perhaps even better, considering the horrendous start to the season he had.

But yes, I'd say they were more reliant on goalie play last season than they are right now. That could be seen in the Kings series when Elliott started all four games with Halak being injured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
The crazy part is they are the lowest spending team in the league (whereas your Chicago example was up against the ceiling).

They could likely keep this roster together for many years.
We'll see. They'll probably be about a low-to mid cap spending team, nothing more than that.

Louie the Blue is offline   Reply With Quote