HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Ottawa Concert Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2013, 09:57 AM
hockeyalltheway
Let's win it all -MR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classless Manked View Post
Just won tickets to Bluesfest on July 7th.

THANK GOD I ALREADY HAVE TICKETS.
Two times the Wu-Tang!

07-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 500
More like two times the Tegan and Sara.

Sunday should be Fun.

Old
07-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Northern Neighbour

Wife and I will be going every night. We have a friend flying up from NYC to attend the weekend.

Best day for us will be this Saturday with Belle & Sebastian, Sharon Van Etten, Neko Case, and Justin Townes Earle.

Old
07-04-2013, 01:29 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Sunday should be an interesting mix of fan bases.

You've got 90s hip hop, teeny bopper country, top 40 pop and an alt/indie/alternative duo.

It doesn't look like much rain in the radar for the rest of the day. Bring your mini umbrella or light jacket in case. I think it's just going be steamy and sweaty.

Old
07-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Evil Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classless Manked View Post
More like two times the Tegan and Sara.

Sunday should be Fun.
Sunday will be Fun.

Old
07-04-2013, 04:50 PM
GoSensGo765
BELIEVE!

Surprised that aren't any comments/reviews about Escapade. Went on Sunday and Monday and it was an absolute blast. This was my first EDM festival after really getting into it the last 8 months or so and it was everything I thought it would be and more.

Saw Crookers, Candyland, Markus Schulz, Benassi, Krewella (they absolutely killed it in the tech tent) Steve Angelo who was amazing, and brought a ton of energy to the crowd, the sit down to end the night was epic as was signing Don't You Worry Child. Than Canada Day, Quintino was solid and Tiesto was insane!!

For a festival that was only in its second year, they did a great job. Venue was perfect, loved being at the RA Centre, and being in a crowd of a few thousand people was a lot of fun.

Enjoy Bluesfest everyone, but this was the serious party Ottawa threw this year.

Old
07-04-2013, 05:21 PM
SilverSeven

No, the serious party was the other one happening on July 1st.

Old
07-04-2013, 05:42 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
Surprised that aren't any comments/reviews about Escapade. Went on Sunday and Monday and it was an absolute blast. This was my first EDM festival after really getting into it the last 8 months or so and it was everything I thought it would be and more.

Saw Crookers, Candyland, Markus Schulz, Benassi, Krewella (they absolutely killed it in the tech tent) Steve Angelo who was amazing, and brought a ton of energy to the crowd, the sit down to end the night was epic as was signing Don't You Worry Child. Than Canada Day, Quintino was solid and Tiesto was insane!!

For a festival that was only in its second year, they did a great job. Venue was perfect, loved being at the RA Centre, and being in a crowd of a few thousand people was a lot of fun.

Enjoy Bluesfest everyone, but this was the serious party Ottawa threw this year.
Escapade has actually been here for 4 years now, progressively getting bigger each year. I have been there for all of them. I wanted to write a little review but didn't have time until now.

It was definitely the best festival yet, from starting off with Above & Beyond (Top 2 set of the weekend) to the amazing fireworks, well organized event and AMAZING crowd (wow Ottawa, we actually do know how to party).

It's hard to say who had the best sets because they brought in so many styles but Top 3 was Above & Beyond, Wolfgang Gartner (biggest surprise) and Arty for me. I don't like dubstep so I stayed away from the tent on Sunday but was there to witness Mark Knight`s amazing 4 hour right after A&B on Saturday.

I've followed EDM for the past 4-5 years (I saw Avicii live before Levels was even released and he was not in the top 100 dj's yet). I'm excited to see what the style will bring in the next few years.

PS: if you like EDM, be sure to be at Bluesfest July 12th for Tommy Trash, one of the most underrated live dj. (It will be my 4th time seeing him lol)

Also, have you been to any other DNA Presents shows? They are always a blast.

For anyone wondering what Escapade looked like.....Here's some videos I took

Steve Angello intro with fireworks

Singing along to A&B

Old
07-04-2013, 05:54 PM
SilverSeven

I drove by it each night it was at the RA. I was really surprised by how tiny the venue was. Didnt look like many people (was busy, but its so small). Anyone know how many they got out?

Old
07-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
I'm seeing the Dixie Chicks, Rush and Wu-Tang (obviously) this weekend!/Monday night. Pumped.

Old
07-04-2013, 06:01 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
I'm seeing the Dixie Chicks, Rush and Wu-Tang (obviously) this weekend!/Monday night. Pumped.
What an interesting mix.

Old
07-04-2013, 06:06 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
I drove by it each night it was at the RA. I was really surprised by how tiny the venue was. Didnt look like many people (was busy, but its so small). Anyone know how many they got out?
If by how many they got out you mean how many people was there...they expected 10,000 people per day and got about that. It was packed by the end of the night.

As for the venue, it was perfect and actually pretty big (definitely not small. They had all the parking up to the baseball fields.

Old
07-04-2013, 06:07 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
What an interesting mix.
everyone says that. I like just about every genre.

Old
07-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Quo

Wouldn't miss it for the world.

Old
07-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo View Post

Wouldn't miss it for the world.
It's my first time seeing them. Soooooooooo pumped. Just wish ODB was still around. RIP

Old
07-04-2013, 10:33 PM
littleD

Black Keys were damn good.

Coulda have used a little extra volume on the mic though.

And this just in - 20,000+ hot, sweaty people makes for a really powerful smell of BO haha.

Old
07-04-2013, 10:36 PM
DrEasy
:heart: Cameron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Wife and I will be going every night. We have a friend flying up from NYC to attend the weekend.

Best day for us will be this Saturday with Belle & Sebastian, Sharon Van Etten, Neko Case, and Justin Townes Earle.
I'm still kicking myself for missing Sharon van Etten when she came to Ottawa a few months ago. And how about Belle & Sebastian! Will you be going to see Camera Obscura as well? I'm tempted but not sure yet. Looking forward to seeing Neko Case for the first time.

Don't know anything about Justin Townes Earle, but since we seem to have the same taste in music I will check him out.

Other notables for me: Bjork (of course), Waterboys, and maybe the Specials; I'm not a big ska fan but they should be great live.

Maybe: Animal Collective, Passion Pit.

Old
07-04-2013, 11:02 PM
Silvercup Returns
classless chick :(

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Silvercup Returns
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD View Post
Black Keys were damn good.

Coulda have used a little extra volume on the mic though.

And this just in - 20,000+ hot, sweaty people makes for a really powerful smell of BO haha.
I passed out in pit

Twitter: @livelikeagypsy
Old
07-04-2013, 11:17 PM
Spire2000

Black Keys were good but the first few songs had terrible sound. It never really reached a perfect sound but just kinda got acceptable. Lots of people and really stinky with the BO, weed and that rancid smelling Mill St organic beer everywhere.

Jimmy Eat World on the other hand were fantastic. Super tight, and I swear Jim Adkins' voice is just getting better as the years go on. When I saw them in 2002, Adkins had changed the key of The Sweetness when he performed it, clearly to make it easier to sing. YouTube performances I've seen over the years show the same thing. I noticed in a new video that he was back to where the track sounds on the album and he did the same tonight.

The only thing missing from their set was "Blister", the longtime live staple that Tom sings. I noticed he seemed off, almost like he wasn't feeling well, so that must be why they didn't play it.

Old
07-04-2013, 11:54 PM
Northern Neighbour

The Black Keys were really good tonight. Agreed about the terrible sound at the beginning, which is inexcusable when there was more than an hour to get the stage ready and to do the soundcheck. The BO was definitely in the air. The crowd was ok - there were pockets of excitement and the crowd was great at the end, but a lot of people just stood there and watched. Also, many didn't know their early stuff, which isn't a surprise since they only really started to hit it big with Brothers. I still remember seeing them in 2005 at Barrymore's, and that was a good show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEasy View Post
I'm still kicking myself for missing Sharon van Etten when she came to Ottawa a few months ago. And how about Belle & Sebastian! Will you be going to see Camera Obscura as well? I'm tempted but not sure yet. Looking forward to seeing Neko Case for the first time.

Don't know anything about Justin Townes Earle, but since we seem to have the same taste in music I will check him out.

Other notables for me: Bjork (of course), Waterboys, and maybe the Specials; I'm not a big ska fan but they should be great live.

Maybe: Animal Collective, Passion Pit.
SVE's show last July at Maverick's was great. We even chatted with her for about 30 minutes afterwards. I'm a big Neko Case fan and have seen her on a few occasions. My wife knows that I have a crush of Neko.

We definitely will be seeing Camera Obscura - or at least I will be.

Can't wait for Saturday. It's the best day of the festival IMO and one of the best days Mark Monahan and gang have organized in a long time. Justin Townes Earle is a bit folky almost alt-country-ish. I'm really excited to see Belle & Sebastian since they rarely tour on this side of the pond - or rarely tour in general. The disappointment about Saturday is that B&S's set slightly overlaps with SVE's.

Old
07-05-2013, 12:16 AM
SenzZen
Unsustainable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell on Heels View Post
I passed out in pit
Holy **** was that you on the right side (stage left) near the fence? Hope you're ok HoH.

Really good show, but had to duck out when Nova Baby came on since my 9 year old was fading- and he loves the Keys.

Proud of my boys in The Split for opening and playing a good set with cooperative weather.

Brock Zemon was great in the Barney Danson Theatre. Really good songwriter with a gravelly voice and Tom Waits (ish) sound.

Looking forward to the rest!

Old
07-05-2013, 01:06 AM
DrEasy
:heart: Cameron

I saw the Black Keys at Babylon's many, many years ago. Front row, maybe 5 feet away from them! (but I guess they weren't such a big deal at the time either...)

Old
07-05-2013, 10:47 PM
littleD

Was anyone at She & Him tonight? Could you hear anything over Zac Brown Band?

ZBB put on a hell of a show. Lots of fun music. Love the Enter Sandman cover, although I would have really loved to hear them do Ants Marching.

Not liking this new trend of the main stage being packed with people an hour and half before the headliner lol. Mist have been twenty rows deep by 8:15 on the first two nights. Basically figure I'll miss most 8pm shows on second stage if I really want to get anywhere close for the headliner.

Old
07-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Northern Neighbour

Had no problem hearing She & Him from where we were, but definitely could hear ZBB between songs.

Big kudos to Camera Obscura for staying and playing a full set in the pouring rain.

Old
07-06-2013, 09:00 AM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEasy View Post
I saw the Black Keys at Babylon's many, many years ago. Front row, maybe 5 feet away from them! (but I guess they weren't such a big deal at the time either...)
Hipster DrEasy.

Zeds dead baby.

Closed Thread