HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Yakupov vs. Galchenyuk

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have
Yakupov 88 52.69%
Galchenyuk 79 47.31%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-30-2013, 07:55 PM
Eskimo44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
This is the problem with a lot of player assessments on HF. You think that because a player is above average defensively, that adds a ton of value over someone who's average defensively. It does not. These star players aren't completely lost in their own zone.

It's the same thing with the Bergeron vs Tavares comparisons. It's not like Tavares is running around in his own zone not knowing what to do. The dropoff is there but it's not enough to compensate for a significant difference in offense.

This forum overrates everything except offensive production.
The biggest thing people sometime don't realize is that very good offensive players don't have to be as good defensively because they don't play defense nearly as often as most players. It's often the Yakupov's and the Stamkos' have to work on defense in their early years, simply because they didn't check that much in juniors/college as they were too busy scoring. Very good players can also have their weaknesses hyperbolized as it looks poorer in relation to the rest of their game.

Great attacking players like Yakupov push the transition and force defenseman to back off from holding the line. Yakupov's defense will be fine coming off the wing, if not very good. You have to understand the thing that makes him special is the speed he plays at, and i mean handling the puck too not just skating. He should end up with a very good stick and with his speed and physicality i can't see him being a liability. Yakupov's tremendous speed has seen him catch many a player on the backcheck already and he just needs to be more consistent and disciplined coming back. He clearly has the enthusiasm and desire needed to be a good defensive player, it's rather foolish to consider this some kind of difference between their potential IMO. Yakupov isn't some kind of trainwreck either, he did score an empty net goal the other night, meaning he was out defending a lead.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Montreal Shadow

Wait wait...Galchenyuk is 6'1 195lbs and people call him big. Gomez at 5'11 and 200lbs was small. Is 2 inches and 5 pounds that big of a difference? Seriously, Galchenyuk isn't a ''big'' player. Getzlaf is, the Staals are, Lucic is. Galchenyuk is just a bit above the average forward in terms of height. He'll likely bulk up and weigh around 210. Still, he isn't a big center. Stop giving him that label.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:27 PM
sansabri
like a docent's lisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow View Post
Wait wait...Galchenyuk is 6'1 195lbs and people call him big. Gomez at 5'11 and 200lbs was small. Is 2 inches and 5 pounds that big of a difference? Seriously, Galchenyuk isn't a ''big'' player. Getzlaf is, the Staals are, Lucic is. Galchenyuk is just a bit above the average forward in terms of height. He'll likely bulk up and weigh around 210. Still, he isn't a big center. Stop giving him that label.
he's still growing. he could be 6' 3"-4" by 21-22.

sansabri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:28 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Yeah, I don't know why people think Gally is a big center.

What he is is a very smart player that makes great decisions on the ice. Good wrist shot and a well rounded player.

At first when he was drafted I thought he'd play LW for the Habs and I thought it was a wash between Yakupov/Galchenyuk.

Edmonton drafted the best player available at the time, but I think they would like a re-do.

How many star wingers do you need? You need great center depth and that starts with your #1 and #2C's.

They aren't going to win anything with Gagner as their 2nd center.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post

What he is is a very smart player that makes great decisions on the ice. Good wrist shot and a well rounded player.

At first when he was drafted I thought he'd play LW for the Habs and I thought it was a wash between Yakupov/Galchenyuk.

Edmonton drafted the best player available at the time, but I think they would like a re-do.

How many star wingers do you need? You need great center depth and that starts with your #1 and #2C's.

What has happened between June and now that would make the Oilers want a re-do?

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:36 PM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
he's still growing. he could be 6' 3"-4" by 21-22.
I don't think men gaining 2-3 inches after 18 is common. From what I've seen, most are really close to being fully grown in terms of height. After that age, we mostly put on weight and more muscle mass but hardly any height.

Quote:

He's big enough for the NHL and big enough for people not to complain about his size. Good enough for me. The only reason I don't think the Oilers should have drafted Yakupov is they had enough smaller skilled players. Of course they could always trade one of their young guns for Seth Jones or another big established number 1 dman in the upcoming draft if it really becomes a dire issue.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:50 PM
sansabri
like a docent's lisp

Quote:
I don't think men gaining 2-3 inches after 18 is common. From what I've seen, most are really close to being fully grown in terms of height. After that age, we mostly put on weight and more muscle mass but hardly any height.
i would disagree. i was still growing until i was 22. growing pains were a *****.

sansabri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
i would disagree. i was still growing until i was 22. growing pains were a *****.
You'd be in the minority. It's rare to still be growing at 21-22.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:25 PM
kingsboy11
Starter in Sochi

If the kings didn't have so many centers, I would have easily said Galchenyuk, however, since we so little wingers, I would have to take Yakupov.

kingsboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Noob616

Hard to say. I'd probably say Yakupov, the gap was pretty big on draft day but Galchenyuk's definitely closed it since then. I'd probably still say Yakupov but I'm really glad we've got Galchenyuk.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:11 PM
Xoto86
The Professor

vCash: 50
I'm very happy with Yakupov so far but having a RNH-Galchenyuk 1-2 punch down the middle would be amazing.

In hindsight, I think its a coin toss between them for 1st overall.

Xoto86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:25 PM
Wheatking

Quote:

Just going to throw it out there now since I don't know how long it's going to last. The Oilers are 4-2-0 so far with Gagner as their 2nd line center...and Gagner has 2 goals/7 points in 6 games so far this season. He's looked very good so far.

Yakupov has 4 goals in 6 games. How could they be regretting drafting him as of right now?

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:30 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Nope. You always draft the BPA (unless you can trade out of the pick). They made the right choice for sure. Galchenyuk wasn't even close to Yakupov at the draft.

Quote:

Actually, they can.

The Oilers in 2006 came within a game of the Cup without their starting goaltender led by the formidable 1-2 C punch of Horcoff and Stoll/Peca.

The Oilers' struggles are mainly due to defense and mediocre goaltending, not their top6.

Last edited by 5RingsAndABeer: 01-31-2013 at 12:17 AM. Reason: (thanks Wheatking)
5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:41 PM
Senor Catface

Seguin for sure.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:52 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Nope. You always draft the BPA (unless you can trade out of the pick). They made the right choice for sure. Galchenyuk wasn't even close to Yakupov at the draft.

Actually, they can.

The Oilers in 2006 came within a game of the Cup without their starting goaltender led by the formidable 1-2 C punch of Horcoff and Pisani.

The Oilers' struggles are mainly due to defense and mediocre goaltending, not their top6.
Pisani was our 3rd line winger. Horcoff, Stoll and Peca were our centers.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:17 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Pisani was our 3rd line winger. Horcoff, Stoll and Peca were our centers.
Wow, massive brain fart.

Thanks for correcting.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:15 AM
missinthejets

Quote:
big center really doesn't mean size in any way shape or form is why. Big center is really just a way to describe someone who be used in all situations and put up some offense and has some grit to their game. The whole metric of big vs. small among NHL fans is so skewed anyway. There's absolutely no middle ground, a player is either big or they're small and it often has little to do with their actual height or weight but more with how they play the game or how the team they play for is perceived. To me guys within an inch or two of average height shouldn't be called either big or small they should be called average. Save big or small labels for players who are actually at one end of the spectrum or the other.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:42 AM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Quote:

No chance in Hell.

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:51 AM
Niet

Yakupov scores last night and the poll swings in his favour. Pretty much a microcosm of HF. That being said I'm very happy we drafted Yakupov.

Niet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:07 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
Galchenyuk's stock is high due to a strong start (deservedly so); Yakupov's stock is low due to his contrived "celebration controversies."

Last edited by OneMoreAstronaut: 01-31-2013 at 12:12 PM.
OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:34 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
No chance in Hell.
Agreed. It wasn't even remotely close. Yak was the clear and obvious #1. It hasn't been that obvious since Crosby.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:33 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Ill keep Galchenyuk thanks.

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:49 PM
Plante

Quote:

Actually, they can.

The Oilers in 2006 came within a game of the Cup without their starting goaltender led by the formidable 1-2 C punch of Horcoff and Stoll/Peca.

Was that not decent centre strength at the time?

Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:54 PM
Big fat dad

I'll go with Gally

Big fat dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:28 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES