HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

James Reimer Discussion Thread.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:56 AM
calcal798

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
People that criticize him for the 2nd goal, look at it properly...Enstrom's shot was very low, Ladd deflected and it went to the top corner.

Reimer can't account for a deflection on a shot with that much velocity.

Both the goals this game that Reimer was beat on was no problem at all. 2 on 1 with a great shot, and a deflection.

Reimer has been terrific IMO. He may have had a bad period or two, but he's never had a bad game yet.
Yeah I dont think you could blame either. When hes only letting in those goals and keeping us in the game, I dont think we have to worry.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:59 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
People that criticize him for the 2nd goal, look at it properly...Enstrom's shot was very low, Ladd deflected and it went to the top corner.

Reimer can't account for a deflection on a shot with that much velocity.

Both the goals this game that Reimer was beat on was no problem at all. 2 on 1 with a great shot, and a deflection.

Reimer has been terrific IMO. He may have had a bad period or two, but he's never had a bad game yet.
I personally wasn't blaming him, but had he been out of his net, it could have hit his shoulder/glove as it went just over.

He wasn't at fault on it, but he could have played it better.

Not a huge deal obviously. He's been pretty solid, I agree.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:01 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Good part is he isn't giving up soft goals on regulation shots that need to be stopped. Those used to be such a bummer with Gustavsson.

He can improve a bit on breakaways though. Especially with our defense.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:02 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
I personally wasn't blaming him, but had he been out of his net, it could have hit his shoulder/glove as it went just over.

He wasn't at fault on it, but he could have played it better.

Not a huge deal obviously. He's been pretty solid, I agree.
Some people you just can't please. That deflection went from the ice to the top corner in less than .1 second. Good luck finding any goalie that stops that.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:06 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
Good part is he isn't giving up soft goals on regulation shots that need to be stopped. Those used to be such a bummer with Gustavsson.

The goal yestrerday wasn't Reimers fault, it was Phaneufs. He did a terrible job on that play.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:07 AM
madab

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCLAM View Post
Yea I totally agree, anyone who has actually played hockey know its a game of inches. Reimer was in good position, it was a perfect tip that left him on the wrong end. It happens
This... To take it farther, anyone who has ever played goalie understands how difficult it is to stop a redirection. You read the shot off the stick, if it hits anything on the way through it's extremely difficult to pick it up again, let alone adjust your body in time if you even do see it.

I imagine this effect is multiplied at the NHL level, where guys can absolutely hammer the puck.

madab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:10 AM
daveleaf

He's giving us a chance to win, what more could we ask for?

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:39 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Leafs running with Reimer: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013/..._james_reimer/

Quote:
The most encouraging thing for the Leafs is the fact that Reimer appears to have left last year's struggles behind. A .918 save percentage thus far has given the team something Carlyle has repeatedly asked for -- a chance.

Reimer might not be stealing games but he's yet to have an ugly performance. And he's starting to look a lot like the guy who took Toronto by storm two years ago before essentially losing last season to a concussion and neck injury.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:57 AM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
after the first game in MTL, i had a feeling we had the old reimer back.

KEEEP HER GOING REIMS!!

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Calacatz
Jacked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
The goal yestrerday wasn't Reimers fault, it was Phaneufs. He did a terrible job on that play.
This is a recording...
Reimer has been a beast and I have been really happy with his play!! so glad Allaire is out and if it wasn't for Dion who probably caused 8-10 GA this year who knows where his #'s would be..

Last night again:
goal #1 - Dion playing the 2 on 1 had no idea what he was doing... Credit to shooter tho nice shot but weakly defended...
goal #2 worried about the flamingo rather than tying up Ladd stick... How many times have we seen him fail to tie the stick this year...

although its unfair to say these were Dions biggest mistakes as they are more debatable then other goals this year... he still seems to be a part of almost every goal...

Proud of James tho!! The boston game was a GEM!!

Calacatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:11 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
after the first game in MTL, i had a feeling we had the old reimer back.

KEEEP HER GOING REIMS!!
Scrivens played the first game in MTL.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:45 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post
He's 25th/33 and 30th/33 in SV%, GAA, respectively, out of all goaltenders with >78 game sample size since 2010-2011.

If that's your definition of "very good", so be it. Personally, I would preferred if you didn't make your narrative blatantly obvious by skewing data completely in your favour, like only taking subsets of data only at the age of 24, and comparing trajectories to show a favourable outcome that only fits your narrative- excluding those that don't.
nobody is arguing that he provided NHL starting calibre goaltending last year.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

He makes good saves, lets us have a chance. But still let's in weak ones a true #1 won't let in.

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:49 PM
threeGo

Quote:
He's 25th/33 and 30th/33 in SV%, GAA, respectively, out of all goaltenders with >78 game sample size since 2010-2011.

If that's your definition of "very good", so be it. Personally, I would preferred if you didn't make your narrative blatantly obvious by skewing data completely in your favour, like only taking subsets of data only at the age of 24, and comparing trajectories to show a favourable outcome that only fits your narrative- excluding those that don't.
Who cares? It's a new season and he's playing like he did when he first came up. Last year was due to the concussion he had. I don't get why you can't accept the present.

threeGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:49 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
And I feel Bernier is by far the superior talent
your feeling is based on?

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:52 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
Scrivens played the first game in MTL.
im an idiot... need more sleep

PITT'S GAME!***

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Hockey Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
The grass is always greener on the other side. Reimer is much more proven and is showing that he could be relied on for now. The only reason to trade for Bernier would be to back him up, but Scrivens has done a decent job so far.

Hockey Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
He was drafted higher and isn't Leaf property...

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:12 PM
black charger

I think some of you people would complain if we had Brodeur in his prime.

Reimer has done everything that has been asked of him.Give us a chance to win.

Every #1 goalie lets in a softee every second game,Lundquist let one in during the Rangers game.Take a look at Luongo,Fluery,ect.All these guys make mistakes

black charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:36 PM
firstemperor

The thing with Reimer is he only plays solid, or less than solid (tendency to let in a lot of soft goals, last season still gives me nightmares.). He's not the type that will ever steal games. Personally, I feel goaltending is the most important position in this game by far, having an elite one is almost a requisite to being an elite team. Thus, I can never be satisfised by the mediocrity that Reimer entails.

And Yes, it's fair to say I've been somewhat spoiled by Cujo + Belfour, but after the years of incompetence of Toskala, Raycroft, etc. I think I've also earned my fair share of both sides of the spectrum.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:55 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
The thing with Reimer is he only plays solid, or less than solid (tendency to let in a lot of soft goals, last season still gives me nightmares.). He's not the type that will ever steal games. Personally, I feel goaltending is the most important position in this game by far, having an elite one is almost a requisite to being an elite team. Thus, I can never be satisfised by the mediocrity that Reimer entails.

And Yes, it's fair to say I've been somewhat spoiled by Cujo + Belfour, but after the years of incompetence of Toskala, Raycroft, etc. I think I've also earned my fair share of both sides of the spectrum.
How can you completely discredit his injury last year, and the fact he returned to the team when the "18 Wheeler" was on the precipice of going over? Elite goaltending would have succeeded in getting us a draft pick in the 7-10 range. Thats it.

We have come back to win in the 3rd periord in 3 of the last 4 games IIRC (Buffalo, Washington, Winnipeg). Reimer most certainly did not let in soft goals in those games when it mattered. Back breaking goals like goalies of the past. I'd argue he didnt let in any seriously weak goals in those games at all.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:59 PM
Pi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
How can you completely discredit his injury last year, and the fact he returned to the team when the "18 Wheeler" was on the precipice of going over? Elite goaltending would have succeeded in getting us a draft pick in the 7-10 range. Thats it.

We have come back to win in the 3rd periord in 3 of the last 4 games IIRC (Buffalo, Washington, Winnipeg). Reimer most certainly did not let in soft goals in those games when it mattered. Back breaking goals like goalies of the past. I'd argue he didnt let in any seriously weak goals in those games at all.
People have seen so many negatives on this team through the years that they basically want to put Reimer into the same category.

James Reimer has not costed the Leafs two points this season. On the contrary, he's been there when the team in front of him hasn't.

He held us in the Rangers game till the team in front of him just broke apart with 10 minutes to go in the third.

Stopped breakaways, 2 on 1's, PP chances..

There are lot of positives, but with the Leafs, it's always easier for fans to pick out the negatives.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:43 PM
firstemperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post

No one is discrediting anything. But at the same token, it is unfair to completely write off that season, he missed a significant amount of time and seemingly came back healthy with his job back. If we were to take a sample size of his games since he's been a starter, he's not necessarily even close to a "average starting goaltender", period. Just like it would be unfair for one to completely use his half-season sample size (the leafs are great at half-season sample sizes, aren't they), and use it as proof he's a supposedly great goaltender. That's the narrative that I've been trying to dispel, not that he doesn't have "upside" or anything of that nature.

25/33 SV% since 10-11, 30/33 in GAA. Yet people on here are continuing to erroneously spew the notion that he is a "well above an average starting goaltender in this league". Are there even 5-7 teams where he is the legitimate starter, let alone 15? I'm not discrediting Reimer at all, it's just overbearing when you have people on here erroneously spewing nonsense.

You outline that he hasn't let in soft goals "when it mattered", that's a pretty completely favourable scenario don't you think? When does it "matter" exactly?

Personally, I find he's let in many soft goals this year, but no one's perfect, you can say the same about many goaltenders thus far over a small sample size. What I'm more concerned about his body of work and the qualitative observations one can judge.

You talk about a small subset of games, I'll just merely refer to last night's game against the Jets. I'm not a fan of either goal he let in last night. This "close your eyes" and try to look big scenario that has appeared to be signature of Reimer's goaltending style was no less evident than in the second goal last night. These are concerns for anyone that has high expectations for Reimer, or this team. As I've said, goaltending is key in a requisite to building a great team. My expectations have always been to judge based on a standard of excellence, not mediocrity, so I cannot be as overly optimistic of Reimer as some as you have been. Erroneously clamoring that he is an average starting NHL goaltender in this league is simply put, a falsehood.

Based off the jets game, we probably have completely different opinions on whether certain goals are soft, which I'm fine with. But personally, I thought both goals last night was a product of poor goaltending (i.e soft goals that he should have had).

EDIT: Here are the highlights from last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq9A8Vr33M8

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:51 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post

Breakaways are one of his strong points. I still remember that one game against Tampa a couple of years ago where he stopped like 4 breakaways. And that Minnesota game as well.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:53 PM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

vCash: 50
Quote:
No one is discrediting anything. But at the same token, it is unfair to completely write off that season, he missed a significant amount of time and seemingly came back healthy with his job back. If we were to take a sample size of his games since he's been a starter, he's not necessarily even close to a "average starting goaltender", period. Just like it would be unfair for one to completely use his half-season sample size (the leafs are great at half-season sample sizes, aren't they), and use it as proof he's a supposedly great goaltender. That's the narrative that I've been trying to dispel, not that he doesn't have "upside" or anything of that nature.

25/33 SV% since 10-11, 30/33 in GAA. Yet people on here are continuing to erroneously spew the notion that he is a "well above an average starting goaltender in this league". Are there even 5-7 teams where he is the legitimate starter, let alone 15? I'm not discrediting Reimer at all, it's just overbearing when you have people on here erroneously spewing nonsense.

You outline that he hasn't let in soft goals "when it mattered", that's a pretty completely favourable scenario don't you think? When does it "matter" exactly?

Personally, I find he's let in many soft goals this year, but no one's perfect, you can say the same about many goaltenders thus far over a small sample size. What I'm more concerned about his body of work and the qualitative observations one can judge.

You talk about a small subset of games, I'll just merely refer to last night's game against the Jets. I'm not a fan of either goal he let in last night. This "close your eyes" and try to look big scenario that has appeared to be signature of Reimer's goaltending style was no less evident than in the second goal last night. These are concerns for anyone that has high expectations for Reimer, or this team. As I've said, goaltending is key in a requisite to building a great team. My expectations have always been to judge based on a standard of excellence, not mediocrity, so I cannot be as overly optimistic of Reimer as some as you have been. Erroneously clamoring that he is an average starting NHL goaltender in this league is simply put, a falsehood.

Based off the jets game, we probably have completely different opinions on whether certain goals are soft, which I'm fine with. But personally, I thought both goals last night was a product of poor goaltending (i.e soft goals that he should have had).

EDIT: Here are the highlights from last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq9A8Vr33M8
can't blame him for the first goal and can't blame on the second goal either, the second goal was an amazing tip from Ladd

The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote