HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

James Reimer Discussion Thread.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:58 PM
firstemperor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
can't blame him for the first goal and can't blame on the second goal either, the second goal was an amazing tip from Ladd
Fair enough, but the premise of the post still stands, which is that Reimer being anything close to a "average starting NHL goaltender" is a falsehood, and I hope people stop erroneously throwing that term around on this thread like it's a fact.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:06 PM
black charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
People have seen so many negatives on this team through the years that they basically want to put Reimer into the same category.

James Reimer has not costed the Leafs two points this season. On the contrary, he's been there when the team in front of him hasn't.

He held us in the Rangers game till the team in front of him just broke apart with 10 minutes to go in the third.

Stopped breakaways, 2 on 1's, PP chances..

There are lot of positives, but with the Leafs, it's always easier for fans to pick out the negatives.

You would think that some of the Leafs CBC broadcast team were posting.

black charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:08 PM
firstemperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
You would think that some of the Leafs CBC broadcast team were posting.
Only difference being that the posters here probably bleed blue and white, and are merely trying to give, in their eyes, an objective non-favourable opinion- whereas Hughson and Healy more than likely just hate the leafs.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:26 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post
Only difference being that the posters here probably bleed blue and white, and are merely trying to give, in their eyes, an objective non-favourable opinion- whereas Hughson and Healy more than likely just hate the leafs.
Reimer has been very streaky. Blame it on his concussion, Allaire, inexperience, blame it on whatever, if he continues to let in weak goals he won't be a #1. He's a #1 by default atm, just riding a hot streak. Only a matter of time before Scrivens steps in again. Carlyle will ride with whichever goalie gives him a chance to win, he won't be holding his breath for either one to steal a game though. The Leafs don't have an elite player at the goaltending position.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Reimer is much better than Scrivens. I haven't seen a problem with Reimer's play so far.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Crispy Crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
can't blame him for the first goal and can't blame on the second goal either, the second goal was an amazing tip from Ladd
lol no chance on that Ladd redirection whatsoever. Beauty tip by him.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:40 PM
black charger

Quote:
No one is discrediting anything. But at the same token, it is unfair to completely write off that season, he missed a significant amount of time and seemingly came back healthy with his job back. If we were to take a sample size of his games since he's been a starter, he's not necessarily even close to a "average starting goaltender", period. Just like it would be unfair for one to completely use his half-season sample size (the leafs are great at half-season sample sizes, aren't they), and use it as proof he's a supposedly great goaltender. That's the narrative that I've been trying to dispel, not that he doesn't have "upside" or anything of that nature.

25/33 SV% since 10-11, 30/33 in GAA. Yet people on here are continuing to erroneously spew the notion that he is a "well above an average starting goaltender in this league". Are there even 5-7 teams where he is the legitimate starter, let alone 15? I'm not discrediting Reimer at all, it's just overbearing when you have people on here erroneously spewing nonsense.

You outline that he hasn't let in soft goals "when it mattered", that's a pretty completely favourable scenario don't you think? When does it "matter" exactly?

Personally, I find he's let in many soft goals this year, but no one's perfect, you can say the same about many goaltenders thus far over a small sample size. What I'm more concerned about his body of work and the qualitative observations one can judge.

You talk about a small subset of games, I'll just merely refer to last night's game against the Jets. I'm not a fan of either goal he let in last night. This "close your eyes" and try to look big scenario that has appeared to be signature of Reimer's goaltending style was no less evident than in the second goal last night. These are concerns for anyone that has high expectations for Reimer, or this team. As I've said, goaltending is key in a requisite to building a great team. My expectations have always been to judge based on a standard of excellence, not mediocrity, so I cannot be as overly optimistic of Reimer as some as you have been. Erroneously clamoring that he is an average starting NHL goaltender in this league is simply put, a falsehood.

Based off the jets game, we probably have completely different opinions on whether certain goals are soft, which I'm fine with. But personally, I thought both goals last night was a product of poor goaltending (i.e soft goals that he should have had).

EDIT: Here are the highlights from last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq9A8Vr33M8

Maybe you should take a look at the stats of current starters during the beginning of their careers.I don't have the time to list them,but there are very few that have better numbers than Reimer.

Remember he hasn't even played 80 games and I agree that he hasn't proved anything yet.But how can you judge him with such a small sample size and the defensivily challenged team he played behind under RW.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:43 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Reimer has been very streaky. Blame it on his concussion, Allaire, inexperience, blame it on whatever, if he continues to let in weak goals he won't be a #1. He's a #1 by default atm, just riding a hot streak. Only a matter of time before Scrivens steps in again. Carlyle will ride with whichever goalie gives him a chance to win, he won't be holding his breath for either one to steal a game though. The Leafs don't have an elite player at the goaltending position.
Continues? When did he start?

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:47 PM
black charger

Quote:

How can you completely write off Reimer when he has only played 79 NHL games and is 38/27 behind a team that played bad defense.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:48 PM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

vCash: 50
I've been very impressed with reimer this year so far. Only a couple softies so far. Guaranteed the best goaltending we've had In a long time. He has a long ways to come to be a legit #1 but he is progressing very nicely.

OptimusForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Stevie28

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Continues? When did he start?
My thoughts exactly lol

Stevie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:49 PM
sangreale

Quote:
Fair enough, but the premise of the post still stands, which is that Reimer being anything close to a "average starting NHL goaltender" is a falsehood, and I hope people stop erroneously throwing that term around on this thread like it's a fact.
His stats this year say that is exactly what he is. What is your premise for your argument? Have you got a system that denies what the stats say?

Or is it a Groucho Marx thing. You know ... "who are you going to believe me .. . or your own eyes.?"

Last edited by sangreale: 02-08-2013 at 04:56 PM.
sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:56 PM
sangreale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie28 View Post
My thoughts exactly lol
I swear that some of the guys here have never seen anything but a Leaf game. Worse that they don't even notice the play of the other team when the Leafs play them. Even top 5 guys in the league let in the occasional bad goal. It is when they make the big save that really counts.

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

We can have Lundqvist and people will complain.

We have not lost a game due to goaltending this year when Reimer is in net
Try to argue that.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:07 PM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Try to argue that.
Agreed! He's given the team the opportunity to win every game he's played this year

OptimusForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Crispy Crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusForever View Post
Agreed! He's given the team the opportunity to win every game he's played this year
He has also come up with the big saves when we have needed them. He has all the tools to be a solid #1 at this level and he is only 24. Needs more time. Ideally, we could use a better backup than Scrivens.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:38 PM
bionic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangreale View Post
His stats this year say that is exactly what he is. What is your premise for your argument? Have you got a system that denies what the stats say?

Or is it a Groucho Marx thing. You know ... "who are you going to believe me .. . or your own eyes.?"
Great post. Reimer has played like a number 1 goalie because he IS a number 1 goalie.

bionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:17 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
The stats say he is easily above average.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:20 PM
firstemperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
The stats say he is easily above average.
The sample size since 2010-2011 illustrates he is closer to the bottom 5 of NHL goaltenders >78 games played. That is a lot is more effective than 8 games into the season so far. The stats don't say he is above average, or even average.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:27 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangreale View Post
I swear that some of the guys here have never seen anything but a Leaf game. Worse that they don't even notice the play of the other team when the Leafs play them. Even top 5 guys in the league let in the occasional bad goal. It is when they make the big save that really counts.
Agreed, that's how goalies should be judged but he's not that goalie right now. I wish he could perform like he did in his rookie season on a consistent basis but I haven't seen that from him in over a year. He hasn't been anything special this season either having played his best game just recently against Winnipeg. He was good against Boston and Pittsburgh too but he laid an egg against NYR (winnable game) and has been average every other game. He's given us a chance to win, for the most part, but he's far from the elite #1 that can steal you a game or two in a 7 game series. I suppose he's fine for now, if we're not sniffing the playoffs, so he has a year or two to develop

Old
02-08-2013, 07:30 PM
garce

Quote:

Try to argue that.
The jitters after last years fiasco while understandable, should be put to rest Reimer has been solid as all get out. Scrivens style is scary as hell but Reimer is playing great, straight up and not doing all the required sliding around from the Allaire school. Couple of weak goals sure but every single goalie has a few of those.

garce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:33 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
The sample size since 2010-2011 illustrates he is closer to the bottom 5 of NHL goaltenders >78 games played. That is a lot is more effective than 8 games into the season so far. The stats don't say he is above average, or even average.
Because you only want to focus on his 28 games after his injury, fine. That's the only time at every level he's played at that he's struggled.

This season he is not below average at all.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:35 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:

Try to argue that.
Leafs, ahem, Reimer blew a 2 - 0 lead to the Rangers

Old
02-08-2013, 07:36 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Leafs, ahem, Reimer blew a 2 - 0 lead to the Rangers
Reimer kept them in that game. Rangers were killing them.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:37 PM
RogerRoeper*

Our goalie who is supposed to be crap and not fit to be a back-up posts these numbers:

8 4 3 0 436 19 231 2.61 .918

On a mediocre team and people are complaining? Jesus...