HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

James Reimer Discussion Thread.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:40 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Reimer kept them in that game. Rangers were killing them.
Just the 3rd period. We needed our goalie to stand on his head for one period. Couldn't do it.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:41 PM
rdawg1234

As of right now he's playing like a solid starter.

hopefully he'll get even better, there's a few areas he could improve on, but he's definitely proven me a little wrong thinking he was a one hit wonder.

great mentality and at the very least gives us solid goaltending. It's a good issue to fix because IMO a long-term #1 goaltender is extremely hard to find, harder than a #1 C.

I'd be fine just bringing in a vet this summer, possibly bernier as well.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Just the 3rd period. We needed our goalie to stand on his head for one period. Couldn't do it.
Stop talking.

Wolfgang Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:44 PM
JackJ

Reimer has improved under Caryles system. Both should receive equal credit for the turnaround.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pi

Quote:
I hope you are joking. I don't think you recall that game quite well.

We were outshot 14-3..and we got two goals from 3 shots. They were ambushing the Leafs.

25-9 in shots by the end of 2.

42-17 by the end of the game.

Needed our goalie to stand on his head? He did that for 50 minutes.

"Goalie still sucks" is not true at all.

Try this instead: PK/PP still sucks.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Rangers were the better team for 60 minutes.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Our goalie who is supposed to be crap and not fit to be a back-up posts these numbers:

8 4 3 0 436 19 231 2.61 .918

On a mediocre team and people are complaining? Jesus...
Stats over an 8 game sample size are absolutely worthless. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining becaue I'm fine with him this season but I don't agree with the hype. If he had those numbers over 400 games I wouldn't be concerned

& the reason an 8 game sample size is worthless is because if you go look at his game logs you'll see he was only above average in 3 of those games.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:45 PM
firstemperor

Quote:
Because you only want to focus on his 28 games after his injury, fine. That's the only time at every level he's played at that he's struggled.

This season he is not below average at all.
What do you mean? The stats include his entire NHL tenure. I'm not the one selectively cherry picking data. If you can write off the concussion year, which IMO is not fair, he came back healthy. Then it would be equivalent to me writing off the half year which he overachieved. Do you see me doing that? No, the stats don't reflect your opinion of him.

I thought he laid an egg in the Rangers and Pens game (to an extent, our team was playing very well that game, however). He played well in the Boston game, no qualms from me. The fact of the matter is- he hasn't shown that he's ever going to be the type to steal a game, forget a 7 game series, we would probably be hard pressed to find many games over the course of a 82 game season where one can legitimately say "Reimer stole this game for us". I guess it all depends on your expectations of goaltending. If one is content with mediocrity in a position that is virtually a requisite for contention in today's NHL, you can be happy with what Reimer has and the potential upside you see him in. Others, including myself, don't see that type of upside in him. Does that mean I am going to cheer against him? No. But I'm not suddenly going to look at him with favourtism just because he plays for the leafs. We have enough subjectivity on this board.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:46 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Stats over an 8 game sample size are absolutely worthless. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining becaue I'm fine with him this season but I don't agree with the hype. If he had those numbers over 400 games I wouldn't be concerned

& the reason an 8 game sample size is worthless is because if you go look at his game logs you'll see he was only above average in 3 of those games.
Well he hasn't played 400 games so what are you going to do?

Would having Luongo and losing Kadri be a better thing for this team?

Old
02-08-2013, 07:47 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post
What do you mean? The stats include his entire NHL tenure. I'm not the one selectively cherry picking data. If you can write off the concussion year, which IMO is not fair, he came back healthy. Then it would be equivalent to me writing off the half year which he overachieved. Do you see me doing that? No, the stats don't reflect your opinion of him.

I thought he laid an egg in the Rangers and Pens game (to an extent, our team was playing very well that game, however). He played well in the Boston game, no qualms from me. The fact of the matter is- he hasn't shown that he's ever going to be the type to steal a game, forget a 7 game series, we would probably be hard pressed to find many games over the course of a 82 game season where one can legitimately say "Reimer stole this game for us". I guess it all depends on your expectations of goaltending. If one is content with mediocrity in a position that is virtually a requisite for contention in today's NHL, you can be happy with what Reimer has and the potential upside you see him in. Others, including myself, don't see that type of upside in him. Does that mean I am going to cheer against him? No. But I'm not suddenly going to look at him with favourtism just because he plays for the leafs. We have enough subjectivity on this board.
When you say he's below average, people of course are going comment on this season. This season right now is all that matters.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:48 PM
firstemperor

Quote:

The sample size I've given for his entire NHL tenure is more meaningful than the nonsense 8 game sample size you have provided.

I suppose many on here will just continue to cherry pick data to further their narrative, looks like I'm just going to have to accept that fact.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:49 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
The sample size I've given for his entire NHL tenure is more meaningful than the nonsense 8 game sample size you have provided.

I suppose many on here will just continue to cherry pick data to further their narrative, looks like I'm just going to have to accept that fact.
His career save % in the NHL is actually .912, which is pretty good given the team he is on.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Pi

Quote:

Who cares? .918 is the only number that matters right now.

The Leafs haven't lost a game because of Reimer this season.

That's all I care about.

The Leafs have a good enough team that they can make the playoffs with average goaltending. When they don't get that type of goaltending, we have a problem.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:51 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:

I'm going to hope he to replicates the same numbers he had his rookie season over 400 games.

Don't think he'll do that though

Old
02-08-2013, 07:52 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionic View Post
Great post. Reimer has played like a number 1 goalie because he IS a number 1 goalie.
I see it more as he still have the potential to become a #1 goalie. He can for sure keep his team in games and play just like a #1 goalie. What will finally make him a #1 is if he can keep it up over a whole season. Hopefully when next season is finished we will know more. But even if 60+ games is to much for him then, that does not rule out that he can't become a legit starter in a few years, he might just need to combo with another goalie of similar talent for a season or two.

Personally I think he have it and if he can stay injury free he will also prove it. He seem athletic enough and mentally strong to make it as a #1. And as I said in an earlier post, he is the perfect age for a rebuilding team like ours. He and his defenders will have plenty of time to get to know each others strength and weaknesses until we becomes a team who can challenge.

johnny_rudeboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:57 PM
Pi

Quote:
I'm going to hope he to replicates the same numbers he had his rookie season over 400 games.

Don't think he'll do that though
Ryan Miller the elite goalie is .914 over his career, Reimer right now is .912.

Cam Ward is .910.

Fleury is .909.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:57 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

He has a great head on his shoulders, I'll give him that. Great goaltenders need to be able to overcome adversity and get over bad games to focus on the next one.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:59 PM
tapas

Gustavsson stole a game occasionally, let alone Reimer. Remember the shutout in Minnesota where he stopped 3 breakaways? The NYR game where he stopped 37/41 shots with Gabashards smothering him? When he let in 1 goal on 34 shots against the BRUINS? Shutting out the Pens and Sens back to back? That's off the top of my head...

tapas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:00 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Ryan Miller the elite goalie is .914 over his career, Reimer right now is .912.

Cam Ward is .910.

Fleury is .909.
Fleury. Another average goalie. At least he's playing behind names I shouldn't have have to mention. Reimer doesn't have that luxury. Ryan Miller is elite, Reimer on the other hand is unproven. That .912 sample size isn't worth much considering his inconsistencies.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:02 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapas View Post
Gustavsson stole a game occasionally, let alone Reimer. Remember the shutout in Minnesota where he stopped 3 breakaways? The NYR game where he stopped 37/41 shots against the cup favourites? When he let in 1 goal on 34 shots against the BRUINS? Shutting out the Pens and Sens back to back? And that's off the top of my head.
Absolutely. The reason he was bounced though was because he'd lay an egg the following game. Elite goalies are consistent. Gustavsson will definitely never be that in the NHL, I'll bet my left nut on that one.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:04 PM
Pi

Quote:
Fleury. Another average goalie. At least he's playing behind names I shouldn't have have to mention. Reimer doesn't have that luxury. Ryan Miller is elite, Reimer on the other hand is unproven. That .912 sample size isn't worth much considering his inconsistencies.
What inconsistencies?

He's 24 years old and one of the youngest goalies in the league playing in front of a suspect defense and forwards that are not all committed to playing defense.

1st year: Fantastic...saved the Leafs from the embarrassment giving up Landeskog/RNH and Seguin for Kessel.
2nd year: Concussion, but he wasn't that good before the concussion, let's just say sophomore slump instead of putting it all on the concussion.
3 year: Not as good as the 1st year but he's under a new goalie coach and head coach and keeping the Leafs in every game he plays.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:14 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:

Your arguments would hold a lot more water if you werent advocating Jonathon Bernier as the alternative. If you were advocating picking up Luongo, I could see it. But the fact is you want to replace Reimer with a guy who has proven less with worse numbers.

Bernier is the same age, less games played, worse sv%, slightly better GAA. They have comparable #s in the AHL. Reimer's numbers were better in Jr. Its arguable Bernier's stats are inflated by the team and system he plays under.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:36 PM
RogerRoeper*

Bernier is so overrated. If he was a young Leaf goalie the entire hockey world would be screaming "Bust"!

Bernier has done nothing to show he's as good or better than Reimer. And Bernier's small stature is a big knock against him imo.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:52 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Bernier is so overrated. If he was a young Leaf goalie the entire hockey world would be screaming "Bust"!

Bernier has done nothing to show he's as good or better than Reimer. And Bernier's small stature is a big knock against him imo.
Let's not worry about what the hockey world would be screaming. The Maple Leafs players are under the biggest microscope in the hockey world and are the most scrutinized team in the league.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:04 PM
black charger

Quote:

So the sample size changes again,now it's 1 period to judge him by.

Haven't all elite goalies had a bad period or two.

black charger is offline   Reply With Quote