HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

James Reimer Discussion Thread.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Earth Rocker

vCash: 500
Reimer is the real deal, he has done nothing but perform in his short career.

Earth Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:11 PM
LeafsJaysRaptors
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Our goalies have been great and the defense has been great. No need to start a war, good teams have good goalies and good defense.

I still think the D could a bit better in front of Reimer/Scrivens.
Exactly. It's like you can't post anything positive about Reimer, and god forbid you compare him to Luongo. Can't we all just agree that both the goaltending and defence has been much improved over last year, without having to defend against "small sample sizes" or "comparisons to other goalies", etc., etc., etc. The bottom line is, Reimer has some pretty awesome numbers so far this year, and he's fitting in fine with the elite goalies of the league.

LeafsJaysRaptors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:13 PM
LeafsJaysRaptors
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownieLeafer View Post
Reimer is the real deal, he has done nothing but perform in his short career.
Exactly! It bewilders me when people suggest that he's an "average" goalie at best, or he's going to max out as a solid backup. How do people arrive at these conclusions..

LeafsJaysRaptors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:49 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
Look at the quality of the chances though. How many tough saves did me make last night? Maybe 4?

They're coming mostly from the outside, and he can see most of the shots because the front of the net is usually cleared.
Could you be any more subjective? Just because you say he made 4 tough saves doesn't make it true. It's 4 because it "helps" your argument. What is a tough save anyway? Are all goals scored on quality chances? Kadri comes to mind (and he wouldn't be the only one) who has scored a couple of goals over the past few games that the goalie should have had. They weren't tough shots but why didn't they save them?
I would say there is a higher marker to describe the quality of the shot and that is game saving shots; that is where a goalie makes a save he should have no business making in an important and critical time of the game. Reimer made a number of those types of stops in Monday's game including several game savers.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:53 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Reims should be in contention for sochi.
He's Canadian.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:06 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs View Post
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...7&postcount=20

This post has stuck with me for a year now. I'm another year away from putting it in the sig.
Bookmarked.

It would be absolutely hilarious if James Reimer outperforms Henrik Lundqvist this year.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
He could have a 0.500 save % for all I care, but what matters the most is that he gives us a chance to win night after night.

That's what I care about and I like it this way.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto murphy laws View Post
He should be considered but he probably won't even sniff the discussions. Politics and your perceived standing in the league dictate the teams for Hockey Canada it seems. This is true right from WJC all the way to the Olympic teams. Having said that, I think Price is still the better goalie. Would probably say Lu is better too, but Reimer has definitely been as good or better than Ward and Fleury lately.
I don't want either of Price/Fleury/Ward at all. Ideally, it would be Luongo and Brodeur, but that's not going to happen.

I'd say Luongo only. Price has more mental breakdowns than Lu. His only strength is puck handling. The amount of first shot goals (I mean no garbage/rebound goals) that Price gives out is ridiculous. So deflating.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:49 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaive View Post
I for one am impressed with Reimer. I was skeptical after his season last year..but even after listening to Carlyle discuss reims last season in yesterday's press conference.... Carlyle said that James was injured the whole time.... wasen't himself ...

Reimer is going to be great for us. People got on him about his glove hand - I can see a clear improvement with his glove hand... rebound control will be next....the kid is something special....
I never lost faith in Reimer...I was quite happy to go into the season with Reimer/Scrivens. Both guys have shown to be capable NHL goaltenders as long as they get some support. No NHL goalie will look good behind a sieve of a defense that the Leafs have shown over the last 5 or more years. Its ridiculous to think that a goalie can consistently single handedly win hockey games. Ridiculous. You need the goalie to make a number of big saves in a hockey game and stop the easy ones (no softies) but to expect him to fend off two on ones, breakaways and be constantly screened with lousy PK support is not really realistic...even for Patrick Roy.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:58 PM
cloak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
You didn't call it out. You just parroted Glenn Healey's ramblings.
or not? sorry, i don't seem to pay as much attention to hockey related personalities or sportscentre as you board regulars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
I don't want either of Price/Fleury/Ward at all. Ideally, it would be Luongo and Brodeur, but that's not going to happen.

I'd say Luongo only. Price has more mental breakdowns than Lu. His only strength is puck handling. The amount of first shot goals (I mean no garbage/rebound goals) that Price gives out is ridiculous. So deflating.
Luongo?? a guy who hasn't stepped up to the plate for a series of important games since WJ 1999.

cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:18 AM
WWB

Remember at the home games when Belfour would make a big save and the crowd would shout out "EDDIE"???

I would like to see the crowd shouting out "JIMMY" when ever Reimer makes a big save.

Me and my buddies all call him Jimmy. I've heard guys on the team call him Jimmy also.

WWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
What's Halaks?

You think they're both simultaneously having the worst years of their careers? Read some comments by Blues fans. Their TEAM is not playing the same way it did last year, the goalies aren't being protected nearly as well.
What was Halak's save percentage before he got injured?

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:57 PM
Garbs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs View Post
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...7&postcount=20

This post has stuck with me for a year now. I'm another year away from putting it in the sig.
Sooo tempting.

I think the kid has a .925SV%, if I'm not mistaken.

Getting better every game.

04-15-2013, 08:58 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

.925sv%, 6th in the league.

one of the youngest goalies in hockey.

this kid is a star in the making, and all anyone ever says about him is that he should be replaced by beat up overpaid vets.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:01 PM
Smif

I love being one of the fans that stuck by him and had faith in him the whole time.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:14 PM
blueNwhite89

"James Reimer is the real deal"

blueNwhite89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:17 PM
Brody
High.

vCash: 551
Just turned 25, came from nowhere, absolutely amazing guy, what a story.

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Parkdale
In Reimer We Trust

If Luongo had been acquired at the beginning of the season and had performed as well as Reimer actually has, he would be the favorite right now to win the Vezina trophy. He would be getting credit for the Leafs turnaround season.

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:26 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

so with tonights shutout, I'm assuming he'll end up somewhere around 0.928-0.929? That'll put him 3rd/4th with Rask and Henrik....:O

edit: unless NHL.com is that quick at updating lol

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:27 PM
hostilebynature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
If Luongo had been acquired at the beginning of the season and had performed as well as Reimer actually has, he would be the favorite right now to win the Vezina trophy. He would be getting credit for the Leafs turnaround season.
If this was facebook, I would of "Like'd" this 15 times out of 10.

hostilebynature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:28 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
so with tonights shutout, i'm assuming he'll end up somewhere around 0.928-0.929? That'll put him 3rd/4th with rask and henrik....

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:30 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
absolutely right.

If this was Luongo we had traded for performing like this, he would have been given 100% of the credit for our success.

of course, we would have traded our top-2 centres to get him.....so we probably wouldn't have been nearly this good even if Luongo HAD played this well.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:30 PM
IBeL13f

Quote:
.925sv%, 6th in the league.

one of the youngest goalies in hockey.

this kid is a star in the making, and all anyone ever says about him is that he should be replaced by beat up overpaid vets.
To be fair, a lot of people wanted one of those overpaid vets (Kipper) just to back-up Reimer, while still giving the kid the reins as starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
I love being one of the fans that stuck by him and had faith in him the whole time.
Same. Combine that with the feeling of having stuck by Kadri, and it's been a good year.

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:51 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Mike Zeisberger @Zeisberger
Brodeur on Reimer: "If he plays like that every night, I don't know why they were looking for another goalie." #Leafs

Old
04-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?

Quote:
Mike Zeisberger @Zeisberger
Brodeur on Reimer: "If he plays like that every night, I don't know why they were looking for another goalie." #Leafs
High praise from one of the games best.

Joe Pesci is offline   Reply With Quote