HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

James Reimer Discussion Thread.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:10 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

vCash: 500
1. Anderson .967
2. Vokoun .940
3. Luongo .938
4. Niemi .933
5. Crawford .931
6. Lehtonen .926
7. Bryzgalov .924
8. Price .924
9. Dubnyk .921
10. Miller .920
11. Lindback .914
12. Varlamov .913
13. Brodeur .913
14. Reimer .910
15. Backstrom .910
16. Rask .909
17. Howard .907
18. Rinne .907
19. Quick .907
20. Bobrovsky .907
21. Nabokov .906
22. Pavelec .906
23. Lundqvist .904
24. Halak .902
25. Theodore .901
26. Neuvirth .899
27. Hiller .868
28. Ward .861
29. Kiprusoff .854
30. Smith .836

man would it be nice to get league average goaltending for once

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:12 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
It's funny hearing Bruins fans complaining about Rask's weakness "high glove" this year.
How about Kiprusoff's 5 hole on a mediocre backhand from 20 feet?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:14 AM
birddog*

Worst puck handling goalie in the league. Made 3-4 giveaways. Too many weak goals between the legs. Correct this and we are getting somewhere.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Funk Volume
Independent Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
1. Anderson .967
2. Vokoun .940
3. Luongo .938
4. Niemi .933
5. Crawford .931
6. Lehtonen .926
7. Bryzgalov .924
8. Price .924
9. Dubnyk .921
10. Miller .920
11. Lindback .914
12. Varlamov .913
13. Brodeur .913
14. Reimer .910
15. Backstrom .910
16. Rask .909
17. Howard .907
18. Rinne .907
19. Quick .907
20. Bobrovsky .907
21. Nabokov .906
22. Pavelec .906
23. Lundqvist .904
24. Halak .902
25. Theodore .901
26. Neuvirth .899
27. Hiller .868
28. Ward .861
29. Kiprusoff .854
30. Smith .836

man would it be nice to get league average goaltending for once
You mean it is nice, right? Because a .910 is right around it, and currently dead on league average for starters (ranked 14, tied with 15 out of 30 starters, meaning he's exactly in the middle)

Funk Volume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:18 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

yep, it's nice, and it would be nice if it would stay that way all season for once.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygeek View Post
It would be nice if someone actually provided some evidence on Reimers weak glove hand. Is it real or is it media generated? I've never seen anyone provide any facts that shows he lets in a higher than average amount of glove side goals

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleex View Post

look at how the announcer even mentions how Spezza was aiming for it

yea yea I know "perfect shot" sure, but these perfect shots on the high glove tend to happen more often than not on Reimer
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
There is lots of proof.....many goals scored high glove. All that you have to do is look at his glove position on the goals that he gives up high glove.....that is an issue. His lack of not knowing were the puck is, is far worse and more of a concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post
It's mind boggling how many leaf fans refuse to be objective and continue to defend his glove.

Let's not pretend that Reimer has even an average glove at this level of play. Forget comparing him to the elite. You compound that with his poor positioning at times, lack of recovery, inability to control rebounds. etc. etc. you have a fundamentally flawed goaltender.

Am I hopeful he can turn it around? Yes. But to argue otherwise is extremely difficult. Let's at least try to be objective guys.
No one answered his question, just a bunch of guesses. Like usual.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:23 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

newsflash - high glove side is EVERY SINGLE GOALIE's weakness.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:24 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
He's a tighter 5-hole and better stick handling away from being a solid #1. He's currently playing like an average starter one kid who I've had faith in non stop and won't change my

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Toque*

Everyone has been pigeonholing Reimer since "Glen D-bag" set the narrative on HNIC.

Pigeonholing is any process that attempts to classify disparate entities into a small number of categories (usually, mutually exclusive ones).

The term usually carries connotations of criticism, implying that the classification scheme referred to inadequately reflects the entities being sorted, or that it is based on stereotypes.[1]

Common failings of pigeonholing schemes include:
Categories are poorly defined (often because they are subjective).
Entities may be suited to more than one category. Example: rhubarb is both 'poisonous' and 'edible'.

Entities may not fit into any available category. Example: asking somebody from Washington, DC which state they live in.
Entities may change over time, so they no longer fit the category in which they have been placed. Example: certain species of fish may change from male to female during their life.

Attempting to discretize properties that would be better viewed as a continuum. Example: attempting to sort people into 'introverted' and 'extroverted'.
Criteria used to categorize entities do not accurately predict the properties ascribed to those categories. Example: relying on astrological sign as a guide to someone's personality.

Toque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:27 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
[/B]

No one answered his question, just a bunch of guesses. Like usual.
Nice shot. Hit iron high, perhaps crossbar and in?

Turris this year is starting to look like he was drafted at the right spot.

Patience is required for these guys.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:09 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toque View Post
Everyone has been pigeonholing Reimer since "Glen D-bag" set the narrative on HNIC.

Pigeonholing is any process that attempts to classify disparate entities into a small number of categories (usually, mutually exclusive ones).

The term usually carries connotations of criticism, implying that the classification scheme referred to inadequately reflects the entities being sorted, or that it is based on stereotypes.[1]

Common failings of pigeonholing schemes include:
Categories are poorly defined (often because they are subjective).
Entities may be suited to more than one category. Example: rhubarb is both 'poisonous' and 'edible'.

Entities may not fit into any available category. Example: asking somebody from Washington, DC which state they live in.
Entities may change over time, so they no longer fit the category in which they have been placed. Example: certain species of fish may change from male to female during their life.

Attempting to discretize properties that would be better viewed as a continuum. Example: attempting to sort people into 'introverted' and 'extroverted'.
Criteria used to categorize entities do not accurately predict the properties ascribed to those categories. Example: relying on astrological sign as a guide to someone's personality.
Even being university educated (science not literature based however) i have no idea what your trying to say

Old
02-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

he's a bust. a flash in the pan, get him out of here he's a scrub. There is no way in hell he is capable of being that number one and prolly just making some plays before he goes back to his old sucky self.

02-01-2013, 10:13 AM
caribouPINE

I just keep going back to this...

"He's only 24 and has showed he can be an above average goalie in this league."

He's had his ups and downs, and his "steady, though unspectacular play" (this season).

But he's 24 so I still hold out some hope.

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Clark4Ever

Reimer has been solid enough to keep us in games this season, but he is still playing at the level of an average number one goaltender at best. He has been giving up a softie every game, and that's unacceptable at this level if a team expects to be in playoff contention.

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
This.

Take 30 starting goalies in the NHL, and the majority of them will be vulnerable glove high.

It's the hardest spot to stop a puck.

On Reimer - I think teams target his glove and with good reason. It can be susceptible, not in that he doesn't have a good glove hand, but because he has the tendency to drop that glove.
I agree, high glove is a good place to aim on all goalies.

Reimer may be weaker than the high end goalies in that area but he's not bad IMO. I think he has a good but not great glove hand.

The bolded part of your statement is the key. More often than not, really good glove saves are mostly about positioning as opposed to reflexes. I'm not saying they don't have insane reflexes because they do, but watching the glove in slow motion it always seems to enter their glove thanks to good positioning with a quick snap reflex after the fact to keep it in there. Snagging it out of mid air seems more rare but much more exciting.

I saw the same thing with Neuvirth's grab on Kessel. It was mostly positioning IMO.

Mind you that's just my uneducated observation.

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:19 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Is Reimer the youngest starter in the league? it seems so.I mean Rask and Schenider are older, i think Holtby is younger but he may be considered a backup right now. If hes average now, what happens when hes in his goaltenders prime (roughly 28-35)....

Old
02-01-2013, 10:20 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
Reimer has been solid enough to keep us in games this season, but he is still playing at the level of an average number one goaltender at best. He has been giving up a softie every game, and that's unacceptable at this level if a team expects to be in playoff contention.
Yep. That's exactly it. If a goalie makes several spectacular saves but gives up a goal at a very inopportune time, it makes him an average goalie. That's the difference between him and the really good goalies. If he can figure that out, there really is no need to get anyone else.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:20 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

He gets Ws and i could care less what his weakness is. Thats what matters. Nothing else

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:27 AM
CBinTokyo

vCash: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidergoalie View Post
The vast majority of shots are low. Thus goalies focus on taking away the bottom of the net, and thus goal scoring has tended to go down for a few years.

Most shooters don't have the time and space to try to pick corners, and just try to put it on net.
Ask shooters.
However if they have time and space, sure they will try to pick corners. Every goalie in the league has a great butterfly, so obviously it makes sense to try to go upstairs.

The idea that we just need a better goalie and these issues go "bye bye" is simply not true.
Any team D that allows the opposition time and space is going to allow more goals. Keep the opposition shooting from the outside and your goalies will have an easier time, no matter who the goalie is. This is part of why keeping Ron Wilson was for me, Burke's biggest failure.
Until the team is better, I don't think it will matter who the goalie is. They will let in goals, and this fan base will live and die on every win and loss, and place unrealistic expectation on whoever the goalie is.

High glove vs low glove

The fashion these days is a fingers up glove position. Sometimes this is confused with a high glove.
Imagine looking at the goalie from the pucks POV on the ice.
From the pucks POV roughly from the hashmarks in, the goalies waist-mid torso is crossbar level when in a ready stance.
If the goalie has his glove high like Scrivens, from the pucks POV it is actually above the crossbar in his stance. However a goalie with a fingers up position like Rinne or Price for example, will have the glove below the crossbar in their stance.
(Now how often is a save made in a goalies stance? Almost never. 95% of saves the goalie will be on one or both knees, so even a high glove will be below the crossbar from the puck's POV.)

The advantage of a fingers up position, is the glove can move in a straight line to catch a high shot. In a more traditional fingers to the side glove position, the arm has to arc to make a high save.

The advantage of a traditional position, is the glove can move in a straight line to catch a medium to low shot. In a fingers up or high glove position, the arm has to arc to make a low save.

It's kind of 6 of one half a dozen of the other. You either arc up, or you arc down.

However since most shots (like 70% or more) are towards the bottom half of the net still, I favour the traditional position Reimer, and most older goalies like Luongo, Giguere and Belfour use(d).
If you watch them closely, you will see fingers up/high glove goalies arcing down as they butterfly, far more frequently than you will see traditional glove position goalies arcing up to make a big glove save.
(If you watch in slow-mo you will also see that in a huge number of flashy windmill glove saves, the puck actually entered the glove in a low or medium height, and then the goalie windmills up after the catch is already made)

Scriven's glove position I think is just a poor choice, but if it works for him who am I to argue?

Personally I am now at a place where I would like to see Reimer as the starter with a veteran back-up.
I hear Vancouver has a veteran backup available

CBinTokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinTokyo View Post
I hear Vancouver has a veteran backup available
you mean their current starter?

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Clark4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
Yep. That's exactly it. If a goalie makes several spectacular saves but gives up a goal at a very inopportune time, it makes him an average goalie. That's the difference between him and the really good goalies. If he can figure that out, there really is no need to get anyone else.
Agreed. I think it's a psychological issue, because his positioning has been much better this season under the tutelage of Rick St. Croix. It's just the odd puck that is going right through him.

If he wants to take his game to the next level, he has to mature in that respect.

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:43 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
He gets Ws and i could care less what his weakness is. Thats what matters. Nothing else
This.

As long as hes putting us in a position to win games and not letting in horrendous goals, then I am happy with having him.

calcal798 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:44 AM
TorMapleJays

So... does this mean shnides is avalible. Maybe they will take scrivens and colborne for a inexperienced goaltender. Lol.

What a mess that Is going to turn into

TorMapleJays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:47 AM
I Believe

I think he's been solid so far, but boy does he suck at playing the puck

It's ok Reims, most goalies aren't good at it either.

I Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
he's a bust. a flash in the pan, get him out of here he's a scrub. There is no way in hell he is capable of being that number one and prolly just making some plays before he goes back to his old sucky self.
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Is Reimer the youngest starter in the league? it seems so.I mean Rask and Schenider are older, i think Holtby is younger but he may be considered a backup right now. If hes average now, what happens when hes in his goaltenders prime (roughly 28-35)....
I, for one, can't wait for Optimus Reim's prime!

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote