HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

James Reimer Discussion Thread.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:00 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
This.

As long as hes putting us in a position to win games and not letting in horrendous goals, then I am happy with having him.
I know it's been a long time since this team made it to the playoffs, but things change when it gets there. The Leafs aren't going to get 7 PPs and they will be playing against better teams. If Reimer has a propensity to give up a soft goal a game, that is just not going to cut it when it really matters and goals are at a premium. He's got to fix that if the Leafs are going to go anywhere in the playoffs.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
Yep. That's exactly it. If a goalie makes several spectacular saves but gives up a goal at a very inopportune time, it makes him an average goalie. That's the difference between him and the really good goalies. If he can figure that out, there really is no need to get anyone else.
I don't think Reimer has given up soft goals at inopportune times so far in his less than a handful of outings in net. Even going back to when he was called up two years ago and pretty much strapped the team on his back and gave the city some playoff hopes - even then he let in soft goals but he usually let in that kind of goal earlier in the game where the team had a lot of time on the clock to make up the difference and then he would proceed to make saves that you would think he had no business of saving just to keep the team within range to make some sort of comeback. Taking last season out of the equation because he basically played injured all season save a handful of games, Reimer has rarely ever been the momentum killer for the team.

And to clarify, I'm only debating the argument that he's an average goalie because lets in soft goals at inopportune times. I'm not debating whether he's average or what his potential is, ect. I'm just disagreeing with that particular reason for calling him average.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:06 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
I don't think Reimer has given up soft goals at inopportune times so far in his less than a handful of outings in net. Even going back to when he was called up two years ago and pretty much strapped the team on his back and gave the city some playoff hopes - even then he let in soft goals but he usually let in that kind of goal earlier in the game where the team had a lot of time on the clock to make up the difference and then he would proceed to make saves that you would think he had no business of saving just to keep the team within range to make some sort of comeback. Taking last season out of the equation because he basically played injured all season save a handful of games, Reimer has rarely ever been the momentum killer for the team.

And to clarify, I'm only debating the argument that he's an average goalie because lets in soft goals at inopportune times. I'm not debating whether he's average or what his potential is, ect. I'm just disagreeing with that particular reason for calling him average.
Last night the Leafs were down 2-1 and the Caps had like 10 shots on net. More than likely, that would have been the final score in the playoffs and, come on, Ovi or not, he should have saved that shot.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:14 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Yep. That's exactly it. If a goalie makes several spectacular saves but gives up a goal at a very inopportune time, it makes him an average goalie. That's the difference between him and the really good goalies. If he can figure that out, there really is no need to get anyone else.
the difference between a great goalie and a bad goalie is literally one save per game.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:16 PM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Believe View Post
I think he's been solid so far, but boy does he suck at playing the puck

It's ok Reims, most goalies aren't good at it either.
I think Reims should ask Brodeur for Puck Handling skills

The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Tak7

Not a fan of Reimer.

But having seen him live last night in person, and him going through a very difficult game (few shots, little action in his own zone for large sections of the game), I liked what I saw.

His game doesn't seem as ...noisy... as it was at times last year. His movement is sharp and deliberate, and not as vibrant and colorful as it was at times last season where he seemed all over the crease.

One thing I did notice though, was just how VOCAL he is when talking to his teammates. Dmen rolling behind the zone, defensive zone cycles, powerplays, etc., always seemed that James was saying something which I thought was great.

Looks much more comfortable in net.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:20 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
the difference between a great goalie and a bad goalie is literally one save per game.
Interesting.. not sure if you were trying to be facetious or not, but I didn't say he's been playing like a bad goalie nor did I say he was a bad goalie. He gives up soft and sometimes bad goals, but that doesn't make him a bad goalie.

What is more accurate is "the difference between a great goalie and an average goalie can be one save per game"

Old
02-01-2013, 12:36 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Last night the Leafs were down 2-1 and the Caps had like 10 shots on net. More than likely, that would have been the final score in the playoffs and, come on, Ovi or not, he should have saved that shot.
I didn't say he shouldn't have had that shot (and the shots on net are irrelevant to this particular discussion). I would have thought that in discussing 'soft' goals, it was assumed that all involved understood that a soft goal is a goal that a goalie should in fact be able to save with relative ease. Where did I indicate otherwise that you feel the need to point the obvious out to me?

He gave up that soft goal with about 37 minutes left in the game for his team to get at least one goal to tie the game. How about we not even go there with pretending how costly that goal would have been in the playoffs. I'm not in the market for discussing make believe scenarios with people. How about we just stick with reality because it's hard to argue over something that's fictitious.

But thank you for responding to my post without actually providing any real response to what I said.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:42 PM
devilishleafs

I dont get the whinning??? Reimer has kept the Leafs in games when the team hasnt shown up. Its only been 7 games so c'mon, he is going to get even better than he is. The guy works non-stop to be the #1 goalie the Leafs have long desired. I kinda think some of ya are nit-picking a bit, when the Leafs have a young progressing goalie. Are there going to be nights when he looks weak at times yes but look at Rask last night, he looked awful, but you dont quit on the guy, same goes for Reimer. I think he is going to be a great goalie for the Leafs. Besides your going to blame that 1st goal on him last night??? C'mon!!!!!!!!

devilishleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:17 PM
black charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toque View Post
Everyone has been pigeonholing Reimer since "Glen D-bag" set the narrative on HNIC.

Pigeonholing is any process that attempts to classify disparate entities into a small number of categories (usually, mutually exclusive ones).

The term usually carries connotations of criticism, implying that the classification scheme referred to inadequately reflects the entities being sorted, or that it is based on stereotypes.[1]

Common failings of pigeonholing schemes include:
Categories are poorly defined (often because they are subjective).
Entities may be suited to more than one category. Example: rhubarb is both 'poisonous' and 'edible'.

Entities may not fit into any available category. Example: asking somebody from Washington, DC which state they live in.
Entities may change over time, so they no longer fit the category in which they have been placed. Example: certain species of fish may change from male to female during their life.

Attempting to discretize properties that would be better viewed as a continuum. Example: attempting to sort people into 'introverted' and 'extroverted'.
Criteria used to categorize entities do not accurately predict the properties ascribed to those categories. Example: relying on astrological sign as a guide to someone's personality.
What?

black charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Tak7

my reaction as well

Old
02-01-2013, 03:30 PM
CanadasTeam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
I think Reims should ask Brodeur for Puck Handling skills
He's got all the tools but I agree it's the main thing he lacks or he'd be a very decent starter.

02-01-2013, 03:32 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
What?
Clearly he's obfuscating what he's trying to say.

Obfuscating is the process of rendering something obscure, unclear or unintelligible.

The term may be used for many purposes. Doctors have been accused of using jargon to conceal unpleasant facts from a patient; American author Michael Crichton claimed that medical writing is a "highly skilled, calculated attempt to confuse the reader".[1]

B. F. Skinner, noted psychologist, commented on medical notation as a form of multiple audience control, which allows the doctor to communicate to the pharmacist things which might be opposed by the patient if they could understand it.

Similarly text-based language, like some forms of leet, are obfuscated to make them incomprehensible to outsiders.

Note: The above was taken from the Wikipedia entry on Obfuscation.

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:34 PM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Everyone has been pigeonholing Reimer since "Glen D-bag" set the narrative on HNIC.

Pigeonholing is any process that attempts to classify disparate entities into a small number of categories (usually, mutually exclusive ones).

The term usually carries connotations of criticism, implying that the classification scheme referred to inadequately reflects the entities being sorted, or that it is based on stereotypes.[1]

Common failings of pigeonholing schemes include:
Categories are poorly defined (often because they are subjective).
Entities may be suited to more than one category. Example: rhubarb is both 'poisonous' and 'edible'.

Entities may not fit into any available category. Example: asking somebody from Washington, DC which state they live in.
Entities may change over time, so they no longer fit the category in which they have been placed. Example: certain species of fish may change from male to female during their life.

Attempting to discretize properties that would be better viewed as a continuum. Example: attempting to sort people into 'introverted' and 'extroverted'.
Criteria used to categorize entities do not accurately predict the properties ascribed to those categories. Example: relying on astrological sign as a guide to someone's personality.

That has to be among the best posts of all time. No idea what's going on here.

Maybe for the wrong reasons, but that's besides the point.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:37 PM
black charger

Reimer winning % =.750.I'm not going to list other guys stats but his winning % is top 10.

black charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
Clearly he's obfuscating what he's trying to say.

Obfuscating is the process of rendering something obscure, unclear or unintelligible.

The term may be used for many purposes. Doctors have been accused of using jargon to conceal unpleasant facts from a patient; American author Michael Crichton claimed that medical writing is a "highly skilled, calculated attempt to confuse the reader".[1]

B. F. Skinner, noted psychologist, commented on medical notation as a form of multiple audience control, which allows the doctor to communicate to the pharmacist things which might be opposed by the patient if they could understand it.

Similarly text-based language, like some forms of leet, are obfuscated to make them incomprehensible to outsiders.

Note: The above was taken from the Wikipedia entry on Obfuscation.
Post of the year.

What do you mean it's only February? PotY

Old
02-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
Reimer winning % =.750.I'm not going to list other guys stats but his winning % is top 10.
Every accepted calculation of winning % has Reimer only slightly above .500.

ETA: Just realized he was referring to this season only. Still, the sample size is so small as to be completely ignored as relevant.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:45 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Post of the year.

What do you mean it's only February? PotY
Kinda sad that the PotY involves mostly mimicry and copy-paste, no?

Then again, most awards these days are not earned by hard work but by said activities, so perhaps it's fitting.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Clark4Ever

Everyone who is vehemently defending Reimer is missing the point.

Our goaltending since the lockout has been so abysmal that we're thankful just to have a goaltender that can be average on a consistent basis.

However, if we were to acquire a solid number one goaltender that doesn't routinely give up soft goals, or if Reimer evolves into that goaltender, it will equate to the difference between mediocrity and playoff contention, even with our existing roster.

I'm pulling for Reims, I really am. But if he has reached his potential as a NHL goaltender, it will not be good enough moving forward.

Clark4Ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
Everyone who is vehemently defending Reimer is missing the point.

Our goaltending since the lockout has been so abysmal that we're thankful just to have a goaltender that can be average on a consistent basis.

However, if we were to acquire a solid number one goaltender that doesn't routinely give up soft goals, or if Reimer evolves into that goaltender, it will equate to the difference between mediocrity and playoff contention, even with our existing roster.

I'm pulling for Reims, I really am. But if he has reached his potential as a NHL goaltender, it will not be good enough moving forward.
It really is amazing just how spoiled we were from the early 90s through til the lockout in net. Potvin, Joseph and Belfour were all equatable to the top goalies in the league today in their prime, and we had them one right after another.

It sucks to be happy about goaltending that doesn't win us games, but also doesn't lose them like Reimer has been doing so far this year. Still, I think he has the ability to be a goalie that can steal you 10ish games a season, hopefully he just needs the confidence and the experience. Even if we can win 5 games that we really shouldn't with him, that could probably be the difference between 10th spot and a decent 4-6 playoff spot. And, of course, the playoffs, being an entirely different beast, could bring any kind of performance from Reimer.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:54 PM
firstemperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post

The issue is that Reimer isn't an average starting goaltender in this league. I mean, seriously, emotional attachment aside, do you really believe in that notion?

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:14 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post
The issue is that Reimer isn't an average starting goaltender in this league. I mean, seriously, emotional attachment aside, do you really believe in that notion?
in the 2013' season he has been.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:16 PM
tobra

If the team in front of a goalie plays like crap, dont blame the goalie. Reimer has played well.

tobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:17 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post
Stats say otherwise

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:24 PM
RogerRoeper*

Too bad we didn't give up Kadri and get Luongo...

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote