HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canes recall Nodl, waive Boychuk (claimed by Pittsburgh)

Old
02-01-2013, 02:55 PM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

vCash: 500
Boychuk will score a goal, and Sutter will be jealous and will peg him with a puck while he is on the bench.

Lethargic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:58 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Boychuk will score 6 goals in his first 3 games, then be waived, claimed by the Canes and assigned to Charlotte.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Semin View Post
Boychuk will score a goal, and Sutter will be jealous and will peg him with a puck while he is on the bench.
He's apparently living with Sutter for now so he'll have plenty of time to express his jealousy.

Who gets their 1st Penguins goal first, Sutter or Boychuk?

Joe McGrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Boychuk. Playing with Malkin and Neal is the best chance he's ever had to come though. Hopefully he makes the most of it.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:15 PM
AD Skinner

Regardless of Boychuk or Sutter's point totals, Pierre McGuire will reference the two of them living together more times than is comfortable on-air.

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:17 PM
TheBigKahuna

If Boychuk can't find his NHL mojo now, he may not get another chance. I think I could put up a few points per game on that line!

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:50 PM
w e l o s t b o y s
Drawing Frog 8

Rosso was on HockeyCentral@Noon today and he said something along the lines of "what ever they were seeing in Carolina I sure don't see it yet" about Sutter. I watched the Pens first few games and he looked fine, anyone watch more of them to see if he's actually struggling, or are his expectations just way out of whack.

w e l o s t b o y s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Novacane
LOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahl2Stall View Post
Rosso was on HockeyCentral@Noon today and he said something along the lines of "what ever they were seeing in Carolina I sure don't see it yet" about Sutter. I watched the Pens first few games and he looked fine, anyone watch more of them to see if he's actually struggling, or are his expectations just way out of whack.
Based on some of the Pittsburgh fans' reactions, they seem to think that Sutter was going to step in and instantly produce offense. Not necessarily be Jordan 2.0, but close. There are a few of them that understand that extracting offense out of Sutter is like pulling teeth some times, but I think they generally thought that he would be able to be a somewhat consistent offensive presence. They will eventually come around to appreciating his game. I think they need to come off of their expectations from the scrimmage game though. That is the general vibe I've been picking up at least.

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:01 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahl2Stall View Post
I honestly think Russo's out to lunch here. Most Pens fans on here had realistic expectations for him: modest production with Selke caliber defensive play. I've seen absolutely nothing out of Sutter to indicate anything less then that.

I did personally expect a bit of an offensive breakout, but I also expected a fair bit more PP time (2nd unit) then we ever gave him here. 2 minutes/G is better then we were giving him but still pretty damn paltry considering the tightening up of the rules this season.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Oenatzu
Chad-in-the-Box

I hear that he's been defensively as steady as always but since he had those points in the scrimmage the fans are expecting him to get on the board with a couple of points every night while playing that defensive role.

Oenatzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:43 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Sutter is just waiting for the next Canes-Pens game. Then he'll light the lamp multiple times. We've been down this route before with former Canes.

Hell Joe Corvo almost had a hat trick against us during his brief stint in Washington.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:00 PM
CanesAvs16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
Based on some of the Pittsburgh fans' reactions, they seem to think that Sutter was going to step in and instantly produce offense. Not necessarily be Jordan 2.0, but close. There are a few of them that understand that extracting offense out of Sutter is like pulling teeth some times, but I think they generally thought that he would be able to be a somewhat consistent offensive presence. They will eventually come around to appreciating his game. I think they need to come off of their expectations from the scrimmage game though. That is the general vibe I've been picking up at least.
They were so excited when they got him during the draft and all they have set were high expectations. Sutter was never meant to be a real point producer in my mind. Thats not his role. Yes its good if he does, but his job is to play against the top lines off the other teams. If he happens to produce offense, then thats great. I feel like Pittsburgh hyped him up too much. He was my favorite Hurricane and is still my favorite overall player. He has done his job as well as expected, but I believe they expected more offensive production (as previously stated by other posters). I have watched a few Pens game this year, and he looks as good as he did here (except for a few hiccups, which is to be expected after not playing in the offseason).

CanesAvs16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:00 PM
impeach estaalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I honestly think Russo's out to lunch here. Most Pens fans on here had realistic expectations for him: modest production with Selke caliber defensive play. I've seen absolutely nothing out of Sutter to indicate anything less then that.

I did personally expect a bit of an offensive breakout, but I also expected a fair bit more PP time (2nd unit) then we ever gave him here. 2 minutes/G is better then we were giving him but still pretty damn paltry considering the tightening up of the rules this season.
Pittsburgh barely plays their 2nd powerplay unit (and for good reason). Sutter is actually getting slightly more PP time than J.Staal did last year.

Based on the PP time, it appears their units are:

Kunitz-Crosby-Neal
Letang-Malkin

Dupuis-Sutter-Kennedy
Martin-Niskanen

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:44 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

During the Rangers game they threw out Malkin, Crosby and Sutter all at the same time. Whatever it takes to break their drought I guess.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:33 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Playing with Malkin and Neal is the best chance he's ever had
Yeah, that's marginally better than playing on a line with Eric Staal and Alex Semin.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:41 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
Yeah, that's marginally better than playing on a line with Eric Staal and Alex Semin.
I would argue more than marginally. That game was Staal and Semins very first game together, and the whole team stunk. Malkin and Neal have been playing together for over a year so there's much more chemistry there.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:45 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
yeeeeee

Quote:
I would argue more than marginally. That game was Staal and Semins very first game together, and the whole team stunk. Malkin and Neal have been playing together for over a year so there's much more chemistry there.
I sensed a hint, or more like a cup, of sarcasm in his post haha.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:46 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
I sensed a hint, or more like a cup, of sarcasm in his post haha.
You may be right, and I thought that, but you can never tell on these boards.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
yeeeeee

Quote:
You may be right, and I thought that, but you can never tell on these boards.
True.

General rule of thumb: if you interpret a post as being complementary to a Canes player or players, you're interpreting it incorrectly.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:07 PM
geehaad

Jeez, no one takes me seriously around here.

Seriously...any chemistry between Malkin and Neal is moot for Boychuk. Ergo, the difference in the quality of Boychuk's linemates is probably negligible, at least as any benefit to Boychuk is concerned.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Mr America

Nodl has already contributed more than Westgarth or Boychuk this season.

Mr America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:57 PM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr America View Post
Nodl has already contributed more than Westgarth or Boychuk this season.
Nodl is a solid bottom 6 guy.

I don't get the hate on him. He's not a goal scorer, he's a solid defensive wing. And with our ****** D, he works great.

Lethargic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:57 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
Jeez, no one takes me seriously around here.

Seriously...any chemistry between Malkin and Neal is moot for Boychuk. Ergo, the difference in the quality of Boychuk's linemates is probably negligible, at least as any benefit to Boychuk is concerned.
I took you seriously when I responded in the first place, and I'm still not sure I agree that the difference is as negligible as you are saying, but it's a fair statement. After all, Tangradi hasn't come through on that line.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:26 PM
Stephen Goalbert
Formerly CMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
He has some serious haters in 126.

I don't get it...I guess you don't like a guy and just find fault in everything from boring interviews with Tripp Tracy, to his sloth like skating (which is completely untrue).

I've met Joni, and found him to be quite nice, and not at all the recluse or introvert that people make him out to be. I felt just the opposite about him after our encounter. I also felt like Ruutu was very friendly and engaging when I met him. He's good with the "small talk" even though English isn't his first language. But you don't get "Ruutu is an ass" comments as much from people like you do about Pitkanen. Semin...not so much.
I sit in 126 and I haven't hear too much Joni bashing.

Stephen Goalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:32 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Semin View Post
Nodl is a solid bottom 6 guy.
I really enjoyed his game tonight. He was noticeable, which is more than I can say of the 4th line coming in.