HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Canes recall Nodl, waive Boychuk (claimed by Pittsburgh)

Old
03-04-2013, 11:20 AM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Claim him. Since Dalpe is injured we really don't have an irrelevant prospect to pointlessly bicker over. Enter Boychuk.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Boom Boom Anton

vCash: 500
My understanding is that Carolina get's first dibs on him and that IF nobody else also puts in a claim, they can send him directly to Charlotte. IF somebody else also puts in a claim, then the Canes would have to put him through waivers again to get him to Charlotte...is that correct?

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:22 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaxing Joni Jokel View Post
Claim him. Since Dalpe is injured we really don't have an irrelevant prospect to pointlessly bicker over. Enter Boychuk.
I think Chris Terry would have eventually filled that void.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
I think Chris Terry would have eventually filled that void.
It's not like the bickering over Ward and the bickering over Ellis and the bickering over Pitkanen's mental health and the bickering over Larose and the bickering over Jokinen haven't done an admirable fill-in job to this point.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:24 AM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...#storylink=cpy

Quote:
Should Boychuk be waived by the Pens, the Canes would have first claim on him and general manager Jim Rutherford has said they would take him back. That could have him returning to Charlotte and again in the Canes' organization.
That was from Thursday

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Beardy*

Quote:
My understanding is that Carolina get's first dibs on him and that IF nobody else also puts in a claim, they can send him directly to Charlotte. IF somebody else also puts in a claim, then the Canes would have to put him through waivers again to get him to Charlotte...is that correct?
I believe since he'd be returning to the team that initially waived him to begin with, it would essentially complete the first waive, and he would be sent directly to the AHL.

Beardy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:37 AM
Oenatzu
#DirectorOfDreams

It'd be stupid not to claim him and send him to the Checkers.

Oenatzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:38 AM
Novacane
My Hero

Good to finally get some help back in Charlotte. (presumably)

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Oenatzu
#DirectorOfDreams

@ice_chip

Hearing the Canes will claim Boychuk off waivers. Badly needed in Charlotte with injuries to Dalpe, Nodl.

Oenatzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:59 AM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:

No. He will go back to the AHL.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardy View Post
I believe since he'd be returning to the team that initially waived him to begin with, it would essentially complete the first waive, and he would be sent directly to the AHL.
Actually, I looked it up in the old CBA and here's what is states.

Quote:
13.22 When a Club claims a Player on Regular, Re-Entry or Unconditional Waivers, and, subsequently, in the same season it requests Waivers on the same Player and the original owning Club is the successful and only Club making a Waiver claim, then the original owning Club shall be entitled to Loan such Player to a club in another league within thirty days without further Waivers being asked; provided that such Player has not participated in ten or more NHL Games (cumulative) and remained on an NHL roster more than thirty days (cumulative) following such successful claim.
I didn't look long, but nowhere in there did I see anything that says the Canes get first dibs. It says IF their claim is successful AND no other team makes a claim, then they can send him to Charlotte without waivers again. If things haven't changed in this CBA, it means that a lot of other teams will have waiver priority over Carolina (although nobody lower than Pitts put in a claim last time) and if any other team does put in a claim, then the Canes would have to waive him to get him to Charlotte.

Given that nobody PITTs took him last time, it wouldn't surprise me if only Carolina put in a claim on him this time (although with team injuries and the like, who knows).

Old
03-04-2013, 12:03 PM
TheBigKahuna

The Canes have 1st waiver priority, and therefore there will be no other claims made. Boychuk can be sent immediately back to Charlotte. JR has already explained this, and said they are making the claim today!

Old
03-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Joe McGrath

I'm not sure what Charlotte is going to get from a guy who just got told by a second team he's not good enough to play in the NHL. Ideally he would play with a fire lit under his ass but that's kind of what you would have thought he would do in Pittsburgh.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:05 PM
bleedgreen

He did hustle his ass off in Pitts, he just didn't score. He's had a good attitude through all this, I'm sure he'll show up in Charlotte just eager to play at all. He hasn't in a couple of weeks.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
The Canes have 1st waiver priority, and therefore there will be no other claims made. Boychuk can be sent immediately back to Charlotte. JR has already explained this, and said they are making the claim today!
When did JR explain this? Not arguing it, just was wondering where it was said.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Mr America

Every team in the league can submit a waiver claim for him. It doesn't stop just because the Canes submit a claim. It's like a silent auction sort of.

Mr America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:18 PM
TheBigKahuna

What I should have said was "no other claims will be accepted" or "will matter" as the Canes get first crack at the waiver.

JR said that if the Pens were to put him back on waivers, that the Canes would likely re-acquire him, because they could really use him in Charlotte. If the Canes HAD to keep Boychuk in the NHL, they would not even think twice about picking him back up.

There's really no reason to further debate this, Boychuk will be re-claimed by the Canes and sent to Charlotte. Period.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
What I should have said was "no other claims will be accepted" or "will matter" as the Canes get first crack at the waiver.

There's really no reason to further debate this, Boychuk will be re-claimed by the Canes and sent to Charlotte. Period.
I suspect the Canes will be the only team claiming him period since no team worse than Pittsburgh claimed him last time..and no team better than Pitts would likely claim him anyhow, so I suspect he'll be right back in Charlotte as well..not debating that.

My question is on the Canes get first crack comment. I know that's been said on HF before (for years) and I thought it to be the case also, but looking through the old CBA, I can find no mention of that. Did JR or some other valid source say "Canes get first crack"? that's what I'm wondering.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:27 PM
Chrispy

Quote:
I suspect the Canes will be the only team claiming him period since no team worse than Pittsburgh claimed him last time..and no team better than Pitts would likely claim him anyhow, so I suspect he'll be right back in Charlotte as well..not debating that.

My question is on the Canes get first crack comment. I know that's been said on HF before (for years) and I thought it to be the case also, but looking through the old CBA, I can find no mention of that. Did JR or some other valid source say "Canes get first crack"? that's what I'm wondering.
Chip put a statement like that in his story about Boychuk being claimed by Pittsburgh, but it's not a direct quote from JR.

Quote:
If the Pens place Boychuk on waivers later this season, the Canes would have first claim on him. Rutherford said they would use that option, if that occurs.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:32 PM
TheBigKahuna

A player who has gone through the waiver process within 30 days, or 10 NHL games, will be exempt from having to be placed on waivers again.

Meaning, if the Canes claim him tomorrow, he will be exempt from going back on waivers or clearing to be sent to the Checkers.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:34 PM
Chrispy

Quote:
A player who has gone through the waiver process within 30 days, or 10 NHL games, will be exempt from having to be placed on waivers again.
So because it was <10 games, Boychuk is exempt even if it's >30 days?

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Mr America

Quote:
This is exactly what Chuck Kaiton has stated on the radio recently.

Mr America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:

Meaning, if the Canes claim him tomorrow, he will be exempt from going back on waivers or clearing to be sent to the Checkers.
Is the terminology "gone through the waivers process" or "passed through waivers"?

BTW, I'm not arguing any points here, I really just want to know the official rules so when it comes up again. I suspect only Carolina would Claim Boychuk no matter what and will send him down accordingly.

What I found in the 2005 CBA:

http://www.nhl.com/cba/2005-CBA.pdf

Quote:
Player may be Loaned to a club of another league, upon fulfillment of the following conditions, except when elsewhere expressly prohibited:
(a) Regular Waivers were requested and cleared during the Playing Season
Waiver Period; and

(b) the Player has not played in ten (10) or more NHL Games cumulative
since Regular Waivers on him were last cleared, and more than thirty (30) days
cumulative on an NHL roster have not passed since Regular Waivers on him were last
cleared.
Boychuk has never CLEARED waivers so I don't think the 10 games / 30 days even applies. As I mentioned before, there is absolutely nothing I could find that says the original team gets first dibs either (even though that is commonly stated quite often on here and even in some media). In fact, what I posted early indicates they don't as it say "IF the original teams claim is succcessful AND no other team makes a claim, they can assign him..."

Looking into the latest CBA, I found this:

http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/P...ms-1-10-13.pdf

Other than elimination of re-entry waivers and a few other odds and ends, it doesn't show that there are significant changes in the waiver rules.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Boom Boom Anton

To follow-up, per a few people on the main board.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=916

Quote:
There is no waiver reclaim priority for former teams. It's one of those pervasive misunderstandings on the forums that hasn't just grown legs, it's off running the Kentucky Derby. See it oft repeated.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Boom Boom Anton

And Mike Smith confirmed it. Canes do not get "first dibs".

Michael Smith ‏@MSmithCanes

Quote:
Re: Boychuk on waivers, #Canes don't have "first dibs"
Quote:
All teams can still put in claims in, and the player is awarded to team with "worst" record.
I still expect that the Canes will likely be the only one that puts in a claim for him and he'll move on to Charlotte.