HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Canes recall Nodl, waive Boychuk (claimed by Pittsburgh)

Old
01-31-2013, 01:33 PM
Joe McGrath

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Dan View Post
Eff the Carolina 1st round draft pick. Might as well trade it

2002 Cam Ward *
2003 Eric Staal *
2004 Andrew Ladd TRADED
2005 Jack Johnson TRADED
2006 Traded
2007 Brandon Sutter TRADED
2008 Zach Boychuk WAIVED
2009 Phillip Paradis TRADED
2010 Jeff Skinner *
2011 Ryan Murphy *
2012 Traded
I'd suggest looking at the rest of the league did during that time period. This kind of result isn't exactly out of the ordinary.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:24 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta Catch Em Staal View Post
Bylsma says Boychuk will bring "grit" to Malkin line. Well okay. Perhaps the Pens think they've claimed Johnny Boychuk?
Please excuse me while I collapse laughing in a closet.

I have no problem with this. He was given chances and could never stick. Good luck to him, maybe he'll find his bearings somewhere else. But if that's what the Pens are expecting, than, well...

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:30 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Some tweets from Chip.

Quote:
Boychuk admitted he had "ample opportunity" with Canes, playing 70-plus games, from 4th line to top line.

Boychuk, on playing for Pens: "It's no different than at Carolina. There's a lot of pressure but also a lot of opportunity."

Just talked to Zach Boychuk. Said dealing with "mixed emotions." Tough to leave behind good friends & teammates, but exciting opportunity.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:36 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Boychuk may believe Pittsburgh's just like Carolina, but if he treats the opportunity in Pittsburgh like he's treated the one in Carolina, he'll be back in Carolina.

...If that makes any sense.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:39 PM
Identity404
Unknown Pleasures

Could be wrong, but I don't really see Boychuk sticking with the Pens this season. Dan Bylsma is Maurice 2.0 in terms of giving ice time to non-defensively responsible kids. I am also confused by him thinking Boychuck is going to be adding any grit to their team.

Still wish him the best and hope he does stick.. It was pretty clear that things were never going to work out here...

Identity404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:42 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Sucks to lose him, but we were never going to play him anyway so it doesn't really matter.

halleJOKEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:55 PM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

ugh this pens team is such a mess and Disco comments about Boychuk only make him look like a bigger idiot than we already know he is... what a total and utter mess. Bylsma needs to be fired, YESTERDAY.

ObsessedCreative is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:08 PM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Boychuk may believe Pittsburgh's just like Carolina, but if he treats the opportunity in Pittsburgh like he's treated the one in Carolina, he'll be back in Charlotte.

...If that makes any sense.

Makes perfect sense. I think Boychuk was 100% comfortable playing for the Checkers. And that was a big part of the problem.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:34 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

This is a case where I think the waiver rules work quite nicely. Boychuk deserves a shot at the NHL if someone is willing to give it. And if he doesn't work out, we deserve to get our prospect back for continued "development" in Charlotte (ie, 50% off pizza after they win).

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:27 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
ugh this pens team is such a mess and Disco comments about Boychuk only make him look like a bigger idiot than we already know he is... what a total and utter mess. Bylsma needs to be fired, YESTERDAY.
Bylsma comments certainly reflect everything you need to know about him. If DB holds true to form Boychuck will get a sniff with Malkin and quickly be back with the Canes.

nwpensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:58 PM
sheriff bart

I think Boychuk may have eaten some grits at some time, and I think that would be about the only grit that he could bring to Malkin's line. Just the grits in his belly. There may be no team in the league needing grit more than the Canes.

sheriff bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:27 PM
Yes We Cam
$6.3 million backup

No more Charlotte Checkers cribs with Boychuk and Dalpe

Yes We Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:03 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
You've been seemingly itching for the kids failure for years now. I just don't understand why we around here are so eager to eat our own. He's out first rounder, one of our top prospects. Being small he was always going to be fighting an uphill battle. We can argue all day about how we got here, I more than know your position, I just never understood not rooting for him. He's one of ours. We root for skinner and he acts like a dbag half the time.
I think itching for and predicting are two different things. I would have loved to have been wrong about Boychuk in Carolina, but it was something that I saw in his game early on and took a beating for it. By the looks of the disappointment in this thread, it appears that I may still be in the minority. Whenever you feel like you get one right, you're going to be adamant about it when people straight up question if you know anything of what you're talking about. I have heard people say that exact thing. You don't know what you're talking about if you don't think Boychuk isn't going to be a full time NHL player at some point. When you get that kind of feedback, being vindicated for what you observed is a rewarding experience. Having your opinion backed by those in the NHL brass.... what more can you say? These people are paid to evaluate talent. Most of us are not. When we make an early call on a player that dissents the public opinion and it turns out to be correct.... that's a win. Even if it does mean the team loses, my opinion on the matter had nothing to do with that. It's like watching a car accident. I feel no responsibility for having an affinity for certain prospects over others based on my evaluation.

As far as a scouting report for Boychuk, this is as close as I will come. He's timid, he goes away with physical contact, he's incredibly talented when he has time to handle the puck, his hockey sense is below league average, his shot is at or above league average. When his confidence is high, he can look not entirely out of place in your Top 9, when his confidence is low which is virtually all the time he's not in Charlotte, he's useless to any line. He predicates his confidence on his scoring. If he doesn't get a quick few bounces in Pittsburgh and get on the board early, he will quickly revert to the player we saw in Carolina especially last season. He's immature, he's not as hard working as one would think considering his history, and he's content with being a big fish in a little pond. He will get on the board with "hits" that consist of rubbing a player out on the boards after the play has passed him, but there isn't any jam to his physical play and it comes and goes. He skates in traffic horribly and takes tons of big hits at the NHL level and the book is out that you can take him out of the game with it. He gets the yips when he doesn't have enough time to do exactly what he wants and makes dumb decisions with the puck to avoid taking contact. With that said, if I was building a pond hockey team he'd be my first overall pick. Unfortunately, that doesn't work in the NHL. Unfortunately, he'll be back here by March barring some kind of unlikely chemistry with actual NHL players.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:56 PM
wallym

vCash: 615
I think people would love to turn on Skinner. You could see everyone licking their chops when he didn't play in the AHL during the lockout. I think that's the preferred state. Rooting for the professional athletes to fail, especially if we can insinuate they have poor character. (Lazy, uncommitted, 'low hockey iq')

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:36 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallym View Post
I think people would love to turn on Skinner. You could see everyone licking their chops when he didn't play in the AHL during the lockout. I think that's the preferred state. Rooting for the professional athletes to fail, especially if we can insinuate they have poor character. (Lazy, uncommitted, 'low hockey iq')
There is nothing worse than disliking players on your own team, but rarely it does happen. With that said, even still I do not dislike Boychuk. I just think he's not very good at hockey and the reasons above only serve as corroboration of my observations. He's probably a pretty cool dude all things considered. Most hockey players are, but that doesn't mean he's NHL material.

I know I was one of the people that was angry that Skinner didn't play in the AHL during the lockout. I thought it was a choice you don't see a lot of hockey players make, to think of their financial viability instead of improving their games. I like to think of hockey as one of the only pure games left on earth where that kind of thing is the exception and not the rule.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:54 AM
Yes We Cam
$6.3 million backup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
He's probably a pretty cool dude all things considered.
Zac Dalpe is cooler.

Yes We Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:40 AM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallym View Post

Oh...the Pitkanen haters! Even when he plays a solid 30 minute game, and has 2 points, no penalties, and makes no turnovers, his haters will find something to complain about. I know because I sit by these people in the arena! He can free up a forward with a 60' pass, that leads to a breakaway goal, and they will start *****ing about it!

Some people will always loather certain players. for me, it's McBain and LaRose.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:47 AM
SweetStormRising

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
Oh...the Pitkanen haters! Even when he plays a solid 30 minute game, and has 2 points, no penalties, and makes no turnovers, his haters will find something to complain about. I know because I sit by these people in the arena! He can free up a forward with a 60' pass, that leads to a breakaway goal, and they will start *****ing about it!

Some people will always loather certain players. for me, it's McBain and LaRose.
Haha, you must sit near me. I'm surrounded by Pitkanen haters. LOL It's become a bit of a joke.

if you sit near me, it's Corvo I'm always *****ing about.

SweetStormRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:49 AM
geehaad

I remember posting a thread asking which player you love to hate and everyone said something akin to "I don't hate any player!" as if it was a stupid question.

But it's clear to me that everyone hates Corvo. You can lie to yourselves, but I know the truth.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:01 AM
Joe McGrath

I will freely admit that I hate Corvo, but I don't root for him to fail (while he's playing for the Canes). I absolutely rooted for him to fail on other teams, which has ofcourse bit me in the ass because he keeps winding up back here after his many failures elsewhere.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:17 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I make no illusion about hating Corvo. I'll be glad when he's off the team.

I don't hate Sanguinetti, but I mock pretty much every shift he takes on the ice.

I hated Kaberle. Soft, lazy piece of garbage who basically took the team for an easy paycheck.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:18 AM
Guy

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
I think everybody sits around these people. Nothing beats the commentary from a fan who he has wronged by not smiling at them at the grocery store one time 3 years ago. I'd be shocked if I ever heard a positive Joni comment to be honest.

It's ok Pitkanen, I think you're swell.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:22 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I don't hate Sanguinetti, but I mock pretty much every shift he takes on the ice.
I was really down on him in the first game (but have to admit that I was only able to see the first period), and still hated on him after the second game, but will admit that he has played better with each successive game.

A continued upward trajectory would be something I'd be willing to patiently watch.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:38 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
I was really down on him in the first game (but have to admit that I was only able to see the first period), and still hated on him after the second game, but will admit that he has played better with each successive game.

A continued upward trajectory would be something I'd be willing to patiently watch.
I completely agree, but at this point it's just a habit to bag on the guy I'm sure it'll pass if he doesn't screw up for a few more games.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:56 AM
AD Skinner

I've said this before, but if somehow Joni Pitkanen became Johnny Peterson from Saskatoon, and didn't change anything else about his game or relationship with the media/public, he'd be a "hard-working, strong silent type who really reads the ice well".

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote