HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Goalies who SINGLE handedly swept teams in the last 10 years?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-10-2005, 12:09 AM
  #1
KOVALEV10*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Simply the best!
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
Goalies who SINGLE handedly swept teams in the last 10 years?

Which goalies would you say single handedly swept their opposition by themselves in the last 10 year . (By swept I mean as in 4 games not more)

I would say Patrick Roy in 1996 finals against Florida. He had one shutout and allowed only 4 goals in the series. Made about 145 saves or something in that series.

Another one would be Dominik Hasek in 98 vs my habs. We were playing the best hockey in years but just couldn't solve the dominator. He made like a total of 140 saves himself I think.

Then Hasek did it again vs. Ottawa in 99. He had one shutout and allowed only 6 goals in those 4 games. Again his series save total was around 150. Just incredible.

Next has to be CUUUUJOOOOOO vs Ottawa... 2001..... He shutout Ottawa for 2 straight games and only allowed a total of 3 goals in this series. He was like a god in net.

Finally Mister J.S. JIGUERE. Conn Smythe winner and deservedly so. I'm talking about the series vs. Minnesota. He had THREE SHUTOUTS in this series and only gave up one goal in the final game. I dont care if Minnesota wasnt the best team. Anyone who gets 3 shutouts and allows one goal in the other on an average team like Anaheim is awesome IMO.

Share yours!!


Last edited by KOVALEV10: 03-10-2005 at 12:34 AM.
KOVALEV10* is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 12:50 AM
  #2
McDonald19
Hampus
 
McDonald19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 17,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10

Finally Mister J.S. JIGUERE. Conn Smythe winner and deservedly so. I'm talking about the series vs. Minnesota. He had THREE SHUTOUTS in this series and only gave up one goal in the final game. I dont care if Minnesota wasnt the best team. Anyone who gets 3 shutouts and allows one goal in the other on an average team like Anaheim is awesome IMO.

Share yours!!
Giguere vs. Detroit as well.

Anaheim was a better than average team though. People forget how good Oates, Ozolinsh, Carney, Niedermayer, Rucchin, Leclerc, Salei, and Thomas were during the playoffs. Thats a pretty good veteran core. Imagine if Kariya and Sykora had played as good as they are capable of.

McDonald19 is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 12:58 AM
  #3
Jennifer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: obscurity
Posts: 969
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jennifer
i was just getting ready ot say Giguere vs Detroit... that imo was and still is 10 times more impressive than the Minn series...even with the 3 SOs

162 shots on goal in 4 games... the first game was 64 sog ...Giguere had 62 saves that game and thats the most saves in a playoff start...
Also...to beat a team as good as Detroit after they won the Cup the year before... and from going 0-8 against Detroit in 1997 and 1999...

(man im gonna miss the playoffs this year)

Jennifer is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 02:13 AM
  #4
Taupy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnifeerj
i was just getting ready ot say Giguere vs Detroit... that imo was and still is 10 times more impressive than the Minn series...even with the 3 SOs

162 shots on goal in 4 games... the first game was 64 sog ...Giguere had 62 saves that game and thats the most saves in a playoff start...
Also...to beat a team as good as Detroit after they won the Cup the year before... and from going 0-8 against Detroit in 1997 and 1999...

(man im gonna miss the playoffs this year)
I remember the first game VS Detroit. It was clear in my head that Anaheim would not lost in OT, and that's what happen.

Taupy is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 03:25 AM
  #5
Porn*
Registered User
 
Porn*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In your nightmares
Country: Israel
Posts: 33,928
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Porn*
Belfour and Cujo have both done it for the leafs in recent years...

Porn* is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 03:49 AM
  #6
chum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 625
vCash: 500
giguere = the goalie who most single handedly swept a team in the the last 10 years vs wings.

chum is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 07:07 AM
  #7
Habsfan 32
Registered User
 
Habsfan 32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Way up north...
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,319
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
The most surprising one has to be Giguere. Most of the people did not know who he was at the start of the season escept maybe the people from Anaheim. But after the win against Detroit everybody knew who he was.

Habsfan 32 is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 10:50 AM
  #8
arrbez
bad chi
 
arrbez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,610
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
i don't know about actual four game sweeps, but Hasek was ridiculous that year Buffalo made the finals

arrbez is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 11:09 AM
  #9
LadyByngJeanRatelle
Registered User
 
LadyByngJeanRatelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10

Next has to be CUUUUJOOOOOO vs Ottawa... 2001..... He shutout Ottawa for 2 straight games and only allowed a total of 3 goals in this series. He was like a god in net.
I wouldn't say Cujo in 2001. Yes it was a sweep, and yes he only let in 3 goals. But not 1 player on Ottawa showed up that series. They played for 5 minutes at the end of game 3, that's it (when they tied it 2-2, until Cory Cross in OT). I could have been in net, and the Leafs still would have won.

LadyByngJeanRatelle is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 11:30 AM
  #10
CoupeStanley
Registered User
 
CoupeStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Nicolet
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,535
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Hasek against Habs in 1998.

The Habs dominate the series, but get swept in 4 by a RED HOT Hasek.

CoupeStanley is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 02:41 PM
  #11
acr*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: My Pit of Danger
Country:
Posts: 45,945
vCash: 500
The Bruins seem to run into hot as hell goalies every year who steal away our playoff hopes(it should be noted we had guys like Dafoe and Jon Casey in net). Not many sweeps, but they do visibly kill us. Theodore, Brodeur, Thoedore, Hasek, Kolzig, the Beezer, Brodeur, Brodeur...etc.

Thankfully the tide can be turned in the future with Raycroft or Toivonen going for us

acr* is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 05:11 PM
  #12
Habsaku
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley
Hasek against Habs in 1998.

The Habs dominate the series, but get swept in 4 by a RED HOT Hasek.
Agreed, we were dominating the Sabres but Hasek was godly.

EDIT: LOL, I also forgot to mention Stevenson was the only guy who seemed to be able to solve him.

Habsaku is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 05:18 PM
  #13
DaveyCrockett
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porn*
Belfour and Cujo have both done it for the leafs in recent years...
Belfour and Lalime dominated Ottawa in the playoffs last year. It wasn't a sweep though. Cujo owned the Sens a few years back when we swept em.

DaveyCrockett is offline  
Old
03-11-2005, 12:55 PM
  #14
Form and Substance
Registered User
 
Form and Substance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley
Hasek against Habs in 1998.

The Habs dominate the series, but get swept in 4 by a RED HOT Hasek.
I was going to name that one as well. I mean Turner Stevenson was our #1 player that series, proof Hasek stoned everyone else.

Form and Substance is offline  
Old
03-12-2005, 01:21 AM
  #15
TVanek26*
 
TVanek26*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Buffalo,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,583
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Agreed, we were dominating the Sabres but Hasek was godly.

.
No you weren't.It's not like we were winning 1 or 2 nothing,we were scoring goals.Matt Barnaby of all people scored a hat trick against you.Sure Hasek helped,but dominating us?Please.

TVanek26* is offline  
Old
03-12-2005, 07:36 AM
  #16
SensGod
Registered User
 
SensGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Scotia Bank Place
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,430
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porn*
Belfour and Cujo have both done it for the leafs in recent years...
Yup...Belfour did it last year against the Sens.

SensGod is offline  
Old
03-12-2005, 08:09 AM
  #17
KOVALEV10*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Simply the best!
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
No you weren't.It's not like we were winning 1 or 2 nothing,we were scoring goals.Matt Barnaby of all people scored a hat trick against you.Sure Hasek helped,but dominating us?Please.
Shots on goal

1st game: 3-2 Win Buffalo
MTL: 48 (Only 2 goals)
Buffalo: 26 (3 goals)

2nd Game: 6-3 Win
Montreal: 26 Shots: 3 goals
Buffalo: 24 Shots: 5 goals

3rd Game: 5-4 OT Win Buffalo
Montreal: 46 Shots!! (only 4 goals)
Buffalo: 31 Shots: (5 goals)

4th game: 3-1 Win Buffalo
Montreal: 38 Shots (1 goal)
Buffalo: 18 Shots (3 goals)

Total number of shots in series:
Montreal:158 (10 goals)
Buffalo: 99 (16 goals)

Total Shots average in series:
Montreal: 39.5
Buffalo: 24.75

See we had games in which we outshot you guys 48 to 26, 46 to 31 and 38 to 18 and we still lost by a wide margin because of your incredible goaltending and our sucky goaltending. Only game that was close was the 2nd one in which we still outshot you guys 26 to 24 yet still lose 6-3. To say Hasek wasnt the reason you guys swept us and that we didnt dominate is wrong.

KOVALEV10* is offline  
Old
03-12-2005, 08:23 AM
  #18
BigStar
Registered User
 
BigStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
Shots on goal

1st game: 3-2 Win Buffalo
MTL: 48 (Only 2 goals)
Buffalo: 26 (3 goals)

2nd Game: 6-3 Win
Montreal: 26 Shots: 3 goals
Buffalo: 24 Shots: 5 goals

3rd Game: 5-4 OT Win Buffalo
Montreal: 46 Shots!! (only 4 goals)
Buffalo: 31 Shots: (5 goals)

4th game: 3-1 Win Buffalo
Montreal: 38 Shots (1 goal)
Buffalo: 18 Shots (3 goals)

Total number of shots in series:
Montreal:158 (10 goals)
Buffalo: 99 (16 goals)

Total Shots average in series:
Montreal: 39.5
Buffalo: 24.75

See we had games in which we outshot you guys 48 to 26, 46 to 31 and 38 to 18 and we still lost by a wide margin because of your incredible goaltending and our sucky goaltending. Only game that was close was the 2nd one in which we still outshot you guys 26 to 24 yet still lose 6-3. To say Hasek wasnt the reason you guys swept us and that we didnt dominate is wrong.

damn right, we were robbed!

BigStar is offline  
Old
03-12-2005, 09:46 AM
  #19
chooch*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 946
vCash: 500
Why only in past 10 years?

Dryden v. Bruins 71 was legendary.

Meloche v. Habs 80

Penney v. Bruins 84

Roy v. Rangers 86

chooch* is offline  
Old
03-12-2005, 09:53 AM
  #20
budscweizer16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Prospect Park(outsid
Posts: 434
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to budscweizer16
Not exactly sweeps, but heres a few

The Beezer against the Flyers in 1996, was amazing

Lalime against Flyers in i believe 2001( year they could score goals, scored 2 or 3 whole series)

budscweizer16 is offline  
Old
03-12-2005, 09:55 AM
  #21
KOVALEV10*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Simply the best!
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch
Why only in past 10 years?

Dryden v. Bruins 71 was legendary.

Meloche v. Habs 80

Penney v. Bruins 84

Roy v. Rangers 86
3 of the 4 series you listed were not sweeps as in one team sweeping the other in 4 games but Penny vs. the Bruins which only was best of 5 series.

KOVALEV10* is offline  
Old
03-12-2005, 10:35 PM
  #22
reckoning
Registered User
 
reckoning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10


Then Hasek did it again vs. Ottawa in 99. He had one shutout and allowed only 6 goals in those 4 games. Again his series save total was around 150. Just incredible.
I followed that series pretty closely and while Hasek was Buffalo`s best player, he didn`t singlehandedly steal the series IMO. I`ll admit he stole Game 1, Buffalo won 2-1 despite being grossly outshot but as for the rest of the series; Game 2 was a double-OT that was fairly even and could`ve gone either way, after that it seemed like Ottawa gave up. In Game 3 i can`t remember one good scoring chance by the Senators; Probably the easiest shutout of Hasek`s career. If anyone has the actual shot totals for that series i`d appreciate seeing them.

Also, although it doesn`t qualify in the ten-year topic area, Curtis Joseph definitely single-handedly beat Chicago 4 straight in the first round in `93.

reckoning is online now  
Old
03-12-2005, 10:54 PM
  #23
monkey_00*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country:
Posts: 5,022
vCash: 500
Hasek

monkey_00* is offline  
Old
03-12-2005, 11:09 PM
  #24
KOVALEV10*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Simply the best!
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning
I followed that series pretty closely and while Hasek was Buffalo`s best player, he didn`t singlehandedly steal the series IMO. I`ll admit he stole Game 1, Buffalo won 2-1 despite being grossly outshot but as for the rest of the series; Game 2 was a double-OT that was fairly even and could`ve gone either way, after that it seemed like Ottawa gave up. In Game 3 i can`t remember one good scoring chance by the Senators; Probably the easiest shutout of Hasek`s career. If anyone has the actual shot totals for that series i`d appreciate seeing them.

Also, although it doesn`t qualify in the ten-year topic area, Curtis Joseph definitely single-handedly beat Chicago 4 straight in the first round in `93.
Game 1: 2-1 Win Buffalo
Buffalo: 15 Shots
Ottawa: 41 shots

Game 2: 3-2 Win OT Buffalo
Buffalo: 39 Shots
Ottawa: 47 Shots

Game 3: 3-0 Win Buffalo
Buffalo: 26 Shots
Ottawa: 31 Shots

Game 4: 4-3 Win Ottawa
Buffalo: 26 Shots
Ottawa: 43 Shots

In the first three games Ottawa outshot Buffalo 119 to 80 yet only scored 3 times which is incredible. Game 4 Hasek made 40 saves again.

KOVALEV10* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.