HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Райан О'Рейли: In Soviet Ontario Offer Sheets Sign You; Rayan's 3rd Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-03-2013, 12:05 PM
  #251
Orwell1984
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
I would.

I'd probably believe you, too.

Is it simply injured pride?
I don't think you can injure his pride, it's made of steel.

Not upper body, not lower body. It's middle body, that's as far as I'm willing to go.

Orwell1984 is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:07 PM
  #252
Bubba Thudd
Moderator
#AvsNewAge
 
Bubba Thudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Avaland
Posts: 12,332
vCash: 50
ROR got an STD in the USSR!!!

Bubba Thudd is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:07 PM
  #253
rpontbriand
Registered User
 
rpontbriand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,151
vCash: 500
Yea, you guys are right about future contracts. I guess I am simply tired of the penny pinching ways of this organization.

rpontbriand is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:14 PM
  #254
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 28,511
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpontbriand View Post
Yea, you guys are right about future contracts. I guess I am simply tired of the penny pinching ways of this organization.
But this is a case where Avs aren't penny pinching. They are offering him a very generous bridge contract.

It's the player being unreasonable.

Freudian is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:19 PM
  #255
Foppa Frossa
Registered User
 
Foppa Frossa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,398
vCash: 50
Seems like RoR is not eligible for Arbitration because he signed his first contract between the age of 18-20 and it sounds like you need 5 years of experience before you are eligible, correct?

I'm guessing there won't be any negotiations until his foot is healed.

Foppa Frossa is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:20 PM
  #256
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
ROR got an STD in the USSR!!!
At least he had some fun.

Ivan13 is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:25 PM
  #257
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 28,511
vCash: 50
I think they need to fly him to Denver and have a face to face meeting and clear the air of whatever ******** that anyone has. If stubbornness and pride from both sides will lead to a young kid committing career suicide, you have to hope someone will be an adult and try to get things on the right path.

I can imagine Avs being really mad about him trying to blackmail them by signing in Russia and then getting injured in the process, but they need to get over it. If O'Reilly is mad about Avs not being 100% certain of what kind of guy he can be in the future, he needs to get over it and prove what kind of player he is.

Freudian is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 01:05 PM
  #258
Hennessy
Blank Space
 
Hennessy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Östersund, Sweden
Country: United States
Posts: 6,760
vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell1984 View Post
I don't think you can injure his pride, it's made of steel.

Not upper body, not lower body. It's middle body, that's as far as I'm willing to go.
Well, duh. Everyone knows he's ********.

Hennessy is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 01:41 PM
  #259
Bonzai12
Registered User
 
Bonzai12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 6,678
vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I can't believe some of you dudes would give Stastny 5.5-6M for an extension but scream bloody hell when ROR wants 5.

If it was me running this team, I'd give ROR the 5M...I'd offer Stastny the same or let him walk - to me, there's no difference between the two players anymore. ROR has upside and dedication to be fit/healthy...Stastny's claim to fame on these boards is that he has to have two elite wingers next to him to produce...... Duchene would get 5M too. I'd maybe budge on him to give him 6M. Duchene's already lost leverage with his Avs fan wall as a kid and the fist pump at the draft.

Varlamov I'd give 4M...4.5M tops. If he doesn't want that, asta la vista. Goaltenders are so interchangeable these years. I'd rather spend more money on a defense than Varlamov. The truly successful clubs around the NHL are throwing little money at goalies but Pierre LaCroix has it in his stupid head that he's gotta find the next Patrick Roy. I think this is a very good example of how the game's passed LaCroix by.

Lando is really the only guy on this team that I'd give 6.0M+ to, and he's years away from that contract. Someone else can do the math, but Stastny will be 30 around the time that Lando's coming up. And that's even if you re-sign Stastny.

Anyways, bottom line I'd rather have ROR at 5M and cut loose Stastny. What happens if you lose both of them?

Bonzai12 is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 01:44 PM
  #260
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured
 
Muffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,642
vCash: 500
Stastny would be an UFA while ROR is RFA. Same reason Jones got 4M, he wouldn't get that if he was an RFA.

Muffin is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 01:52 PM
  #261
henchman24
#ImagineAvs
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
I can't believe some of you dudes would give Stastny 5.5-6M for an extension but scream bloody hell when ROR wants 5.

If it was me running this team, I'd give ROR the 5M...I'd offer Stastny the same or let him walk - to me, there's no difference between the two players anymore. ROR has upside and dedication to be fit/healthy...Stastny's claim to fame on these boards is that he has to have two elite wingers next to him to produce...... Duchene would get 5M too. I'd maybe budge on him to give him 6M. Duchene's already lost leverage with his Avs fan wall as a kid and the fist pump at the draft.

Varlamov I'd give 4M...4.5M tops. If he doesn't want that, asta la vista. Goaltenders are so interchangeable these years. I'd rather spend more money on a defense than Varlamov. The truly successful clubs around the NHL are throwing little money at goalies but Pierre LaCroix has it in his stupid head that he's gotta find the next Patrick Roy. I think this is a very good example of how the game's passed LaCroix by.

Lando is really the only guy on this team that I'd give 6.0M+ to, and he's years away from that contract. Someone else can do the math, but Stastny will be 30 around the time that Lando's coming up. And that's even if you re-sign Stastny.

Anyways, bottom line I'd rather have ROR at 5M and cut loose Stastny. What happens if you lose both of them?


First, if you get rid of ROR, you HAVE to re-sign Stastny. That WILL take 5.5-6m, and possibly more. It isn't what people want, but the reality of the situation. Duchene will get paid what he deserves. If this organization has shown anything it is when they feel you deserve it you will get taken care of. Duchene will get a long term deal at 6+ if he keeps playing the way he is. There is no lost leverage at this point for him being a fan and wanting to play for the the Avs since he was a kid. That said, he really doesn't seem to be the type that would holdout for the maximum amount he could get, he just wants to play hockey. So he may come on a cheaper deal because of that.

When it comes to Varly, do you really want to suffer through the post-Roy period again. A #1 is pretty difficult to find, and now that we finally have one we will pay to keep him. Without Varly we would have already lost 1 or 2 more games this season. So instead of being 1 point out of 6th, we would be around 12th or 13th.

It is really too early to speculate what Landeskog will get. If he comes back and plays at a PPG level for the next 1.5 seasons, he will get 6+. But I could also see him get a bridge contract for 3.5-4 as well.

I'm sure most people would like to have ROR over Stastny long term, but ROR may have already made his bed. Players that cross this organization usually get shipped out, and honestly that is probably what will happen. ROR is forcing the Avs hand here, not the other way around.

henchman24 is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 02:11 PM
  #262
Bubba Thudd
Moderator
#AvsNewAge
 
Bubba Thudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Avaland
Posts: 12,332
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
I can't believe some of you dudes would give Stastny 5.5-6M for an extension but scream bloody hell when ROR wants 5.

If it was me running this team, I'd give ROR the 5M...I'd offer Stastny the same or let him walk - to me, there's no difference between the two players anymore. ROR has upside and dedication to be fit/healthy...Stastny's claim to fame on these boards is that he has to have two elite wingers next to him to produce...... Duchene would get 5M too. I'd maybe budge on him to give him 6M. Duchene's already lost leverage with his Avs fan wall as a kid and the fist pump at the draft.

Varlamov I'd give 4M...4.5M tops. If he doesn't want that, asta la vista. Goaltenders are so interchangeable these years. I'd rather spend more money on a defense than Varlamov. The truly successful clubs around the NHL are throwing little money at goalies but Pierre LaCroix has it in his stupid head that he's gotta find the next Patrick Roy. I think this is a very good example of how the game's passed LaCroix by.

Lando is really the only guy on this team that I'd give 6.0M+ to, and he's years away from that contract. Someone else can do the math, but Stastny will be 30 around the time that Lando's coming up. And that's even if you re-sign Stastny.

Anyways, bottom line I'd rather have ROR at 5M and cut loose Stastny. What happens if you lose both of them?
Funniest thing on the web!!!









Oh, were you serious?

Bubba Thudd is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 02:45 PM
  #263
Frenchy
Global Moderator
 
Frenchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alma, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,287
vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
They were talking about ROR on Hotstove (should be on CBC.ca) and it was interesting until Weeks and Stock got into another mini fight. Stock was talking about stats and talked about Duchenes hometown contract while Weeks thought that they (Avs) were gambling on this situation. Healy was complaining about how Avs always did this from Drury to Ozolinsh. I don't remember those situations, but maybe he has a point and LaCroix is still conducting mob family business.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockeynight...#id=2331657620

the Radar talk starts at 3:50

Frenchy is online now  
Old
02-03-2013, 02:56 PM
  #264
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 10,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpontbriand View Post
Sorry guys, but in all honesty I don't understand why anyone cares how much the Avs pay or don't pay for this guy. Is thing coming out of our pocket via special salary deduction? This organization is WAY below the salary cap and will seemingly not spend anywhere up to it so it does not matter why Ryan gets in the in end.

Right now we are short changed as a fan based ... AGAIN!
Exactly. It ain't my money. That's pure ridiculousness to threaten leaving a franchise because you feel like they're overpaying a key player. However, we as fans have a legitimate gripe when this team isn't doing what they need to do to ice he best team they possibly can. I will continue to root for the Avs no matter what, but until they sign or otherwise resolve the O'Reilly situation, they ain't gettin' a dime from me.

Av-merican is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 03:33 PM
  #265
Crisp Breakout
Registered User
 
Crisp Breakout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell1984 View Post
I don't think you can injure his pride, it's made of steel.

Not upper body, not lower body. It's middle body, that's as far as I'm willing to go.
Care to drop a hint as to how you know that?

Crisp Breakout is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 04:36 PM
  #266
Orwell1984
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
Care to drop a hint as to how you know that?
Just from around were he lives. It's not that big a secret, not real serious or anything, but he's not ready. Probably no rush to get anything done. I would add that I know nothing about his contract situation.
My comment on the trade is just based on what I've read here and the Avs' reputation for not tolerating this type of "behavior"

Orwell1984 is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 04:58 PM
  #267
NOTENOUGHBREWER
Registered User
 
NOTENOUGHBREWER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,670
vCash: 500
Good. The sooner this situation is over the better. I wish ROR no ill will but it's time for both sides to move on.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 05:14 PM
  #268
Crisp Breakout
Registered User
 
Crisp Breakout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell1984 View Post
Just from around were he lives. It's not that big a secret, not real serious or anything, but he's not ready. Probably no rush to get anything done. I would add that I know nothing about his contract situation.
My comment on the trade is just based on what I've read here and the Avs' reputation for not tolerating this type of "behavior"
Got ya, thanks. Have you heard anything about how long he'll be down and out?

Crisp Breakout is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 06:58 PM
  #269
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ballarado
Country: United States
Posts: 6,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
I would just like to say that if Ryan were Russian, he would get zero sympathy at all. The fact that he is demanding way too much money, and that he constantly threatens to play in the KHL is reminiscent of the strategy that many "low character" Russian players have used before. The only reason that Ryan is getting any sympathy (from fans and media alike) is because he is supposed to be the "good 'ol Canadian boy".
I hadn't even thought about it this way. Excellent point.

Huis Clos* is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 07:27 PM
  #270
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,315
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
I would just like to say that if Ryan were Russian, he would get zero sympathy at all. The fact that he is demanding way too much money, and that he constantly threatens to play in the KHL is reminiscent of the strategy that many "low character" Russian players have used before. The only reason that Ryan is getting any sympathy (from fans and media alike) is because he is supposed to be the "good 'ol Canadian boy".
Hey, I defended Rads when he left to Russia, I can defend ROR on this.

I was just reading in the caps board because I'm bored and there's no sporting events on now, They were discussing Varly and his demands of wanting the #1 spot. It reminded me of Ryan's demands of wanting a spot in the top 2 lines. They called Varly names and mentioned how he wanted the position without putting in the work. Kind of how some here are calling Ryan out here, now we don't actually know if Ryan is demanding that but it seem like he is. I think most would say they would rather have Varly then the pick we traded and some cap fans want Varly back. We might see ourselves being on the other side of things and that would suck.

Long story short, trade a centreman and sign O'rielly or we will regret letting him go.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now  
Old
02-03-2013, 07:46 PM
  #271
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Nihiliste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,389
vCash: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Hey, I defended Rads when he left to Russia, I can defend ROR on this.

I was just reading in the caps board because I'm bored and there's no sporting events on now, They were discussing Varly and his demands of wanting the #1 spot. It reminded me of Ryan's demands of wanting a spot in the top 2 lines. They called Varly names and mentioned how he wanted the position without putting in the work. Kind of how some here are calling Ryan out here, now we don't actually know if Ryan is demanding that but it seem like he is. I think most would say they would rather have Varly then the pick we traded and some cap fans want Varly back. We might see ourselves being on the other side of things and that would suck.

Long story short, trade a centreman and sign O'rielly or we will regret letting him go.
I agree, Stastny should not be the bar to committing to O'reilly.

That said, I still don't think we should pay him 5 million a year. Varly wanted a chance to play, but wasn't demanding an inflationary salary. Besides, the Avs have already shown they'll reward good play with 1st line minutes which Ryan got last season.

Nihiliste is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 07:58 PM
  #272
Orwell1984
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
Got ya, thanks. Have you heard anything about how long he'll be down and out?
No, not really. As of a week and a half ago he was going to be evaluated by a specialist. That's about it.
Pure speculation on my part, I'd say 2-3 more weeks minimum.

Orwell1984 is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 08:01 PM
  #273
AslanRH
Part of the Plan
 
AslanRH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Wyoming, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,261
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Hey, I defended Rads when he left to Russia, I can defend ROR on this.

I was just reading in the caps board because I'm bored and there's no sporting events on now, They were discussing Varly and his demands of wanting the #1 spot. It reminded me of Ryan's demands of wanting a spot in the top 2 lines. They called Varly names and mentioned how he wanted the position without putting in the work. Kind of how some here are calling Ryan out here, now we don't actually know if Ryan is demanding that but it seem like he is. I think most would say they would rather have Varly then the pick we traded and some cap fans want Varly back. We might see ourselves being on the other side of things and that would suck.

Long story short, trade a centreman and sign O'rielly or we will regret letting him go.
If this were true, I think Ryan needs to see that Stazz only has <2 yrs left on his large contract, and he can sign the bridge contract and get paid when Stazz contract disappears, or play like he did last year and win the spot from Stazz so FO can more comfortably trade Stazz.

AslanRH is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 08:08 PM
  #274
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$
 
bohlmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,079
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
I would just like to say that if Ryan were Russian, he would get zero sympathy at all. The fact that he is demanding way too much money, and that he constantly threatens to play in the KHL is reminiscent of the strategy that many "low character" Russian players have used before. The only reason that Ryan is getting any sympathy (from fans and media alike) is because he is supposed to be the "good 'ol Canadian boy".
You are entitled to your opinion. But most of the actual analysts are "sympathetic" to ROR because he is an excellent 2 way player at 22 years of age. He isn't a player that is easy to find or acquire. It isn't because he is a "good ol canadian boy"

I agree with Freidman who compares ROR to Michael Peca. Usually stats are used to determine dollar value. ROR and Michael Peca bring much more to the table than goals and assists.

bohlmeister is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 08:20 PM
  #275
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,315
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
I agree, Stastny should not be the bar to committing to O'reilly.

That said, I still don't think we should pay him 5 million a year. Varly wanted a chance to play, but wasn't demanding an inflationary salary. Besides, the Avs have already shown they'll reward good play with 1st line minutes which Ryan got last season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslanrh View Post
If this were true, I think Ryan needs to see that Stazz only has <2 yrs left on his large contract, and he can sign the bridge contract and get paid when Stazz contract disappears, or play like he did last year and win the spot from Stazz so FO can more comfortably trade Stazz.
Good points but Varly could've signed a prove it contract as well and he could've won the #1 position back like he did before. I just know the avs will regret it if they trade ROR and keep Stazz.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.