HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Райан О'Рейли: In Soviet Ontario Offer Sheets Sign You; Rayan's 3rd Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Technically, Crosby wasn't made Captain until his third season. I didn't realize Toews was though, so I stand corrected. I still think it's a bad practice. Landy's good, and could end up being possibly great, but I don't think he's anywhere near the level of Toews/Crosby.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:08 PM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post

"After rookie season" is the key words here. Teenager+After rookie season. That said, Toews WAS named captain in his second year. Crosby it was his third.

Old
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Technically, Crosby wasn't made Captain until his third season. I didn't realize Toews was though, so I stand corrected. I still think it's a bad practice. Landy's good, and could end up being possibly great, but I don't think he's anywhere near the level of Toews/Crosby.
There is no rule. Depends on the individual, the state of the team, the group of people around him, etc.

Old
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

Quote:
Landy's good, and could end up being possibly great, but I don't think he's anywhere near the level of Toews/Crosby.
Neither is O'Reilly, except in he and his agent's mind, apparently.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
There is no rule. Depends on the individual, the state of the team, the group of people around him, etc.
Didn't say there was, but I think there's a right way and a wrong way to do it, and I think in those cases that's the wrong way. Again, just my opinion. I realize every case is different.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Comin View Post
Neither is O'Reilly, except in he and his agent's mind, apparently.
You don't have any insight into what O'Reilly and his agent are thinking any more than the rest of us do. Any griping over the captaincy is pure speculation at this point.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:17 PM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Sorry about the mess you're in with ROR but thanks for making the Habs & Subban appear relatively civil and reasonable !
You're welcome.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:49 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
What do you mean by coddling though? Are you referring to something internal that we can't see? All teams coddle their star players, and hopeful franchise players to some extent. All players all know that, I can't imagine that would be an issue.

Stastny was the teams best player for a while, and was/is relied upon to be one of the top players on this team. Duchene was the 3rd overall hopeful franchise replacement for Sakic, who has also been shifted around all over the place with linemates, moved to the wing, benched, and also the same guy that came back to play 20 games on one leg to try and help the team make the playoffs, and also was asked to take a smaller bridge deal to prove what he can do.

I don't see much coddling in there. I think Ryan's hurt feelings are rubbing off on you a bit. Which is more or less normal if you're friends.
Damn good post Foppa.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:54 PM
NWAvs

How does TPS know what he does?

Old
02-04-2013, 11:56 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvs View Post
Friends with some of the players.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvs View Post
Baby momma

Old
02-05-2013, 12:13 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Bring him back Sherman before he heads back to Russia

Old
02-05-2013, 12:16 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
That can't happen, at least not this season. My fear now is that whatever chance at an amicable solution is quickly getting away, and the Avs will end up trading him. And that will set this franchise back by a significant margin.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:17 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
He can't go back to Russia this season. But the way this is going, he could still be sitting out come next October and then he can go to the KHL.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:18 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
He can't go back to Russia this season. But the way this is going, he could still be sitting out come next October and then he can go to the KHL.
If this gets dragged out THAT far, that'll make the Avs organization the laughing stock of the league. I don't EVER recall a holdout lasting that long.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:21 AM
Nihiliste

Quote:
If this gets dragged out THAT far, that'll make the Avs organization the laughing stock of the league. I don't EVER recall a holdout lasting that long.
Yeah they need to get this done pretty soon one way or another. I imagine the injury has slowed things down while they wait each other out but hopefully once he's healed up there will be some more urgency again. Though I do fear they plan on just waiting to the offseason in this shortened season.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:23 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Peca sat out an entire season. But I think they traded him in the summer before the next season started.

Avs are already a bit of a laughing stock if you look at some of the stuff people on TSN, Sportsnet, and CBC have said about this situation.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:58 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Quote:
Peca sat out an entire season. But I think they traded him in the summer before the next season started.

Avs are already a bit of a laughing stock if you look at some of the stuff people on TSN, Sportsnet, and CBC have said about this situation.
In all honesty we are kinda of a laughing stock from top to bottom. NYI West. Once we clear some of the fossils running this team we might be alright.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:00 AM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
To be clear, the only thing I ever mentioned from O'Reilly's camp was "one of the best defensive forwards in the past 25 years" comment. That was line for line, with quotations around it. The Stastny/Duchene thing is my own opinion as suggested by me asking a question with it... re-read what I wrote if needed. However, let's not fool ourselves; past and present players are well aware of the coddling and influences for Stastny and Duchene that no other player on our team gets; not Hejduk, not EJ, not anybody.

Man... the sooner this is behind all of us, the better. I swear it's easier when they just trade my friends or let them walk; holdouts really **** with my emotions.
Please tell me this whole hissy fit spat ******** started when the Avs laughed in his face at that claim. Guy's a great player but he's off his ****ing rocker if he actually believes that.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:01 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:

Unimaginable when just a couple weeks ago it was the Subban situation that was looking far more untenable. I'm just flabbergasted by both camps at this point. Both are guilty of obstinate, unprofessional behavior and should be ashamed of themselves.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:09 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Unimaginable when just a couple weeks ago it was the Subban situation that was looking far more untenable. I'm just flabbergasted by both camps at this point. Both are guilty of obstinate, unprofessional behavior and should be ashamed of themselves.
Completely agree. Subban wasn't close to a deal with the Habs but then Meehan met with Bergevin in person and a deal was done two days later. Avs and Meehan/Guy/Morris/etc haven't even spoken in over a week.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:14 AM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

Quote:
Nikolai Khabibulin's contract dispute with Phoenix lasted more than a year if memory serves.

Old
02-05-2013, 06:43 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Loco_Avs View Post
The idea that Duchene got coddled is laughable after last season. He got scratched. He really actually needed to, but they did it. That's no where near coddling to me.
and I didn't hear any whining coming from Duchene, he probably understood himself the situation, he was playing like crap and he couldn't help the team.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:48 AM
henchman24
If and if...

I'm not buying the argument that Duchene is coddled or valued more by management than ROR is. Duchene took a 2 year $7m deal (same as was offered to ROR according to Dater and not denied by Mark Guy). ROR was also offered the longest contract this management has offered since Stastny (5 years). Granted it was at a lower cap hit than his value would be, but simply offering what could be conceived as a fair offer over the long term shows how management really thinks about him. You simply don't offer someone a 5 year contract if you don't see them as part of the core of the team (unless you are Philadelphia).

This situation reeks of a player either trying to guarantee playing time (by getting a higher salary which slots him higher) or somebody that is trying to force their way out. If it was close (as TPS said) at 3.5m, then ROR simply moved the target to get what he feels he deserves in comparison. Personally, it sounds like it moved when ROR saw what Duchene got and ROR thinks he is better than Duchene.

I see no way that this ends in anything but a trade, probably at worst on draft day.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:53 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Completely agree. Subban wasn't close to a deal with the Habs but then Meehan met with Bergevin in person and a deal was done two days later. Avs and Meehan/Guy/Morris/etc haven't even spoken in over a week.
Couldn't O'Reilly's injury be a factor in that?

Closed Thread