HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Райан О'Рейли: In Soviet Ontario Offer Sheets Sign You; Rayan's 3rd Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2013, 12:52 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
Well, the ROR camp must be bending a little, otherwise they wouldn't be talking. I imagine the Avs left it as "This is the offer, it's final, take it or leave it". If they're talking again, it probably means ROR's camp is trying to make the offer work or at least something much closer to that offer than before.

I doubt it's like...Avs: 3.5 Million. ROR: 5 Million...don't talk for 2 weeks...ROR: So...how about 5 million?

Doesn't make sense that way.
I hope so. A 2 year $7m deal could be structured in a way to nearly guarantee him a good contract when it is over. Duchene's 2nd year has a 3.75m salary, which pretty much means that is the bottom dollar of his next deal.

I still think the best deal for both parties is one like this:

Year 1 - 3.0m
year 2 - 3.5m
year 3 - 4.0m
year 4 - 4.5m
year 5 - 5.0m

It averages out to a $4m deal, and buys a year of UFA. If ROR continues to progress his actual salary comes close to matching his value for every year.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:09 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 450
if the end of this contract standoff isn't a 4-5 year deal then we as fans will have to go through another dispute later on in future seasons.
i doubt either side forgets this the next time the contract extension comes up.

i don't mean they'll take it personal, just that they'll commit the experience to memory and make sure they get what they want next time.
though next time, ROR should make sure he has the leverage to back up his demands instead of stats by his agent.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:19 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
if the end of this contract standoff isn't a 4-5 year deal then we as fans will have to go through another dispute later on in future seasons.
i doubt either side forgets this the next time the contract extension comes up

i don't mean they'll take it personal, just that they'll commit the experience to memory and make sure they get what they want next time.
though next time, ROR should make sure he has the leverage to back up his demands instead of stats by his agent.
Wont be an issue because he will be traded before his contract is up that you can count on.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Pokecheque
Formerly Av-merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Wont be an issue because he will be traded before his contract is up that you can count on.
People seem to forget that following their respective contract standoffs, Drury, Deadmarsh, and (I think) Ozolinsh were not having great seasons. If O'Reilly builds upon his breakout year and becomes an elite two-way forward, no way in hell will they trade him.

I honestly don't remember for sure if Ozolinsh was having a bad year prior to his trade, but I seem to remember him struggling a bit. Too bad the pick we got for him ended up being Vaclav friggin' Nederost.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:23 PM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

I would hope that if the Avs offered 3.5/yr for 2 yrs and ROR wanted 4+, then the Avs would bend to getting a long term deal done(5-7) if it meant going up to 4 or 4.5/yr avg. I think ROR has proven that what he brings to the table is worth that kind of commitment from the team. Its not just his Offensive surge last year, but the Defense and heart he had shown the first two years that would be worth a little extra $ above market value.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Razor29
Bandwagon Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I hope so. A 2 year $7m deal could be structured in a way to nearly guarantee him a good contract when it is over. Duchene's 2nd year has a 3.75m salary, which pretty much means that is the bottom dollar of his next deal.

I still think the best deal for both parties is one like this:

Year 1 - 3.0m
year 2 - 3.5m
year 3 - 4.0m
year 4 - 4.5m
year 5 - 5.0m

It averages out to a $4m deal, and buys a year of UFA. If ROR continues to progress his actual salary comes close to matching his value for every year.
New CBA doesn't let you do that anymore I thought.

It would be 4 mil every year.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:31 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torr View Post

Yeah it does... See PK Subban and Jamie Benn's contracts.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:35 PM
avalanchuck

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Yeah it does... See PK Subban and Jamie Benn's contracts.
I believe that the average annual salary is counted against the cap so eventhough the salary increases yearly the average over the length of the contract is what counts against the cap.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:37 PM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanchuck View Post
I believe that the average annual salary is counted against the cap so eventhough the salary increases yearly the average over the length of the contract is what counts against the cap.
Which has always been the case.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Pokecheque
Formerly Av-merican

Quote:

Variance rules only apply to frontloaded deals. If you want to increase the salary in later years, however, those rules don't apply.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:03 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
unless he starts snapping off for 80 pt seasons over the next 2 seasons(let's say he signs just a two year deal)he has far more value for the Avs than he does in trades.
once again, he's not a UFA which impact his earning potential(he would get his demands as a UFA because some dumb owner would give it to him)so his contract demands would hurt his trade value and who can you get that will have the same potential impact or greater than ROR's in the trade?

not many teams that will fork over a ton for a player and have to give him a new deal without him being a flat out superstar.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Pokecheque
Formerly Av-merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
unless he starts snapping off for 80 pt seasons over the next 2 seasons(let's say he signs just a two year deal)he has far more value for the Avs than he does in trades.
once again, he's not a UFA which impact his earning potential(he would get his demands as a UFA because some dumb owner would give it to him)so his contract demands would hurt his trade value and who can you get that will have the same potential impact or greater than ROR's in the trade?

not many teams that will fork over a ton for a player and have to give him a new deal without him being a flat out superstar.
Agreed, but if he returns and changes his number again from 90 to 18, he's doomed.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:24 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Agreed, but if he returns and changes his number again from 90 to 18, he's doomed.
well played sir

Old
02-06-2013, 11:11 PM
The Pwnerer
We are never give up

"Hey O'Reilly we are 4 and 6 we need you hows 4.6 per year sound"?

"Lose 3 more games and we are may have ourselves a deal"

Sherman do something....anythingggg

Old
02-06-2013, 11:31 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pwnerer View Post
"Hey O'Reilly we are 4 and 6 we need you hows 4.6 per year sound"?

"Lose 3 more games and we are may have ourselves a deal"

Sherman do something....anythingggg
Nope.... O'Reilly by himself isn't going to save this team, absolutely no reason to over pay him and handcuff ourselves in the future.

Even with O'Reilly what are our lines going to be?

McGinn - Duchene - Parenteau

Mitchell - Stastny - Jones

Sgarbossa - O'Reilly - Hejduk

McLeaod - Olver - Bordy

Notice something there?

1st or 2nd line wingers? McGinn, Parenteau...

3rd/4th line wingers? Hejduk, Mitchell, Jones, McLeod, Bordy, Kobasew.... There is more 4th line there than 3rd line as well.

Oh and a rookie who looks like hes on an island and surrounded by apes every time hes on the ice. Ok so we put him on the wing and we still only have 3 of the 6 wingers we need.

It's getting really hard to watch every game seeing more of McLeod, Bordy, Olver, and Kobasew than actual NHL players. It's like watching a team of 3rd/4th line players run around the ice for 60 minutes and EJ and Varly bailing out the team over and over and over and over again.

Then we get to see Duchene's line for a few seconds and back to 4th liners.

The only fun part of watching these games is the few times we get to see Duchene, Sgarbossa, EJ, Parenteau, and McGinn... So That's like what, 28 minutes of a 60 minute game? Stastny I just feel sorry for at this point. Jones and Hejduk are 6M of their own worthlessness. Mitchell would be fun to watch if he had played his way onto the THIRD LINE and not into our top 6...

I won't even talk about our defense, Hey Zannon... we are down by three goals. Why don't you burn 10 seconds off the clock by not putting the effort in and skating all the way back for the puck?

Sgarbossa is going to be really good once hes either put on the wing with one of our better centers or given competent line-mates, and don't tell me what McNabb said about him getting a chance with McLeod and Jones being an offensive opportunity... PLEASE GTFO.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:31 AM
HellasLEAF
Auston 20:16

anything new? are they even talking?

Old
02-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Pokecheque
Formerly Av-merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
anything new? are they even talking?
According to Dater, yeah, they're talking, but absolutely zero progress has been made.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Crisp Breakout

Happy Birthday O'Reilly! Maybe the Avs send you a nice present today?

Old
02-07-2013, 12:44 PM
S3rkie

Eklund posted that Montreal was going after ROR pretty hard I hope its true. Kinda hope they just offer sheet him tbh. Either we match and its over or we get two decent 1st round picks(ours+theirs) and a 3rd maybe even a 2nd

Old
02-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Pokecheque
Formerly Av-merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3rkie View Post
Eklund posted that Montreal was going after ROR pretty hard I hope its true. Kinda hope they just offer sheet him tbh. Either we match and its over or we get two decent 1st round picks(ours+theirs) and a 3rd maybe even a 2nd
I'll probably be blasted for this, but a package consisting of Weber and Eller for O'Reilly wouldn't be terrible. I wouldn't be happy about it, but at this point I'm prepared for the distinct possibility that this situation has now gone beyond the point of an amicable solution.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:53 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

O'Reillys trade value for us isn't as big as some may think. Since we already have Duchene and Stastny he wouldn't leave a gaping hole at the center position. And therefore is kinda expandable. But I guess we could all agree Stastny is the player everyone would have prefered to trade. But.. Duchene and Stazz is a fine one, two punch anyway.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:56 PM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
I'll probably be blasted for this, but a package consisting of Weber and Eller for O'Reilly wouldn't be terrible. I wouldn't be happy about it, but at this point I'm prepared for the distinct possibility that this situation has now gone beyond the point of an amicable solution.
It ABSOLUTELY would be a terrible package.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:03 PM
JoemAvs

Quote:
are you kidding? that is almost worse than Bozak and a 2nd.
Ok not that bad but in the vicinity.

Ugh. Trading him just to get over this situation is not a move the avs can afford to do.
We need something legit back.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Pokecheque
Formerly Av-merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAVS View Post
It ABSOLUTELY would be a terrible package.
Agreed. Pretty much any trade would have the Avs on the losing side. His value to Colorado cannot be exaggerated. Just trying to think of realistic trade returns that wouldn't have me wanting to strangle Sherman with his own tie.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

Quote:
Weber would be a nice addition to our club and Eller could end up as a solid #2 center, but I want more for Radar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
O'Reillys trade value for us isn't as big as some may think. Since we already have Duchene and Stastny he wouldn't leave a gaping hole at the center position. And therefore is kinda expandable. But I guess we could all agree Stastny is the player everyone would have prefered to trade. But.. Duchene and Stazz is a fine one, two punch anyway.
And what if Paulie walks in 1 years time? We'd be pretty much up the creek without a paddle. Radar isn't expendable in any shape, way or form because of that and that's without going into the whole thing about how crappy our PK and defensive aspects of the game (d-zone faceoffs, protecting last min leads) are and would continue to be without him.

Last edited by Ivan13: 02-07-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Closed Thread