HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Райан О'Рейли: In Soviet Ontario Offer Sheets Sign You; Rayan's 3rd Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 05:31 PM
S3rkie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I wonder if the Stastny contract has spooked Avs so they're deathly afraid of any long contract possibly being a problem in the future.
i sure hope so. I dont see it as a problem, i see it as smart management. When has a longterm contract ever benefited a team. Look at ovechkin, who would've thought hed drop off so fast. I do think the avs need better communication with their players. But I'd be upset with anyone getting signed to a 5 year deal. Things change so fast with players these days.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:51 PM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Soon they'll combine the hype and say he's one of the top 10 Centers of the last 25 years.
Apparently the longer he sits, the better he becomes! If we just wait it out, then next season he'll be Gretzky 2.0!

O'Reilly is a straight up Continuum transfunctioner!

Old
02-08-2013, 05:57 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Soon they'll combine the hype and say he's one of the top 10 Centers of the last 25 years.
Seriously I must have missed the part where O'Reilly became one of the top 10 centers in the world.

If O'Reilly is a top 10 center then I'm a billionaire. I'd say O'Reilly is more like a top 40 center in the league.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:13 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
Apparently the longer he sits, the better he becomes! If we just wait it out, then next season he'll be Gretzky 2.0!

O'Reilly is a straight up Continuum transfunctioner!
You guys can joke all you want. I don't mind alienating myself from the rest of the fan bases mentality. ROR is NOT a player that will be replaced. He is getting praise from almost every hockey analyst for a reason. He is an extremely smart hockey player, at the NHL level, at 22 years of age. You can draft for 15 years and never get a player like him. 5 Mill a year, long term, is not a risk on a player like him. You can't teach hockey IQ, and you can't teach work ethic. Those are his 2 best attributes. He put up all those points last season despite starting in the defensive zone, and playing against the NHL's best players. With how good Duchene is playing this season, against top competition, imagine him playing against every teams 2nd line. The hard stance taken by management is absolutely idiotic. If they let the possibility of having Duchene and RoR as your top 2 centers for the next 10 years pass then this rebuild has been a sham. They are clearly only doing it to save money.

The obvious move is to sign ROR, and trade Stastny. If they do the opposite they are imbeciles and driving this franchise into the ditch.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:18 PM
Holyhell
'Crumblers'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
You guys can joke all you want. I don't mind alienating myself from the rest of the fan bases mentality. ROR is NOT a player that will be replaced. He is getting praise from almost every hockey analyst for a reason. He is an extremely smart hockey player, at the NHL level, at 22 years of age. You can draft for 15 years and never get a player like him. 5 Mill a year, long term, is not a risk on a player like him. You can't teach hockey IQ, and you can't teach work ethic. Those are his 2 best attributes. He put up all those points last season despite starting in the defensive zone, and playing against the NHL's best players. With how good Duchene is playing this season, against top competition, imagine him playing against every teams 2nd line. The hard stance taken by management is absolutely idiotic. If they let the possibility of having Duchene and RoR as your top 2 centers for the next 10 years pass then this rebuild has been a sham. They are clearly only doing it to save money.

The obvious move is to sign ROR, and trade Stastny. If they do the opposite they are imbeciles and driving this franchise into the ditch.
QFT.
Can't teach being the consummate hockey player.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:22 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:

We should go for a pitcher and wings.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:

Halfway into the ditch already so it wouldn't be surprising if that's the direction they decide to go in.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:41 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:

It's not driving this team into the ditch, it's like already being in a ditch and just saying **** it and driving off the mountain.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
I think the Avs had been much more likely to hand over the keys to the kingdom eventually if O'Reilly had signed a bridge contract.

Now you most likely have massive trust issues after he tried to blackmail them by signing in Russia. Hopefully everyone involved still have the ability to be adult about it.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 175
Quote:

I think Duchene right now is starting to feel what O'Reilly put up with all of last year. Last year O'Reilly, with help from a winger he has chemistry with, put the team on his back because Stastny sure as hell wasn't going to. That frustration that Duchene let out in the postgame sounds a hell of a lot like what O'Reilly was saying all of last year. This year it's a different center (Duchene) and a different winger (PAP), but it's the same result. Stastny ***** the bed and it leaves the other top center to carry the team on his back.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Elever
Hth

What this whole saga has taught me is that Dater is a terrible reporter and let's his emotions get in the way. I always thought so before but now he's becoming a detriment to the club.

Also that Lambert article was so poorly written.

We aren't making the playoffs with just O'Reilly returning, would need Landeskog too so I don't care at this point. And my feeling tells me that mgmt is okay with tanking for a high pick as well.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zih View Post

I think Duchene right now is starting to feel what O'Reilly put up with all of last year. Last year O'Reilly, with help from a winger he has chemistry with, put the team on his back because Stastny sure as hell wasn't going to. That frustration that Duchene let out in the postgame sounds a hell of a lot like what O'Reilly was saying all of last year. This year it's a different center (Duchene) and a different winger (PAP), but it's the same result. Stastny ***** the bed and it leaves the other top center to carry the team on his back.
... Stastny once again gets berated around here for no reason at all. I almost wish he would be traded just to get appreciated by a fan base again.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
What this whole saga has taught me is that Dater is a terrible reporter and let's his emotions get in the way. I always thought so before but now he's becoming a detriment to the club.

Also that Lambert article was so poorly written.

We aren't making the playoffs with just O'Reilly returning, would need Landeskog too so I don't care at this point. And my feeling tells me that mgmt is okay with tanking for a high pick as well.
Do they hate their jobs that much? Sherman won't be the one making that pick if the team has another embarrassing season.

I thought the article was fine for the most part. He might have exaggerated some things in it but most members of the media feel the same way about this situation.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:01 PM
AvsWraith

Quote:

I wonder if ROR knows this already. If he's such a smart guy, he probably knows that management, at every level, of this organization is a joke. Maybe he knows that even with him, this team isn't a playoff team. He probably wants to go to a team that actually wants to compete and be in the playoffs on a consistent basis, and I wouldn't blame him. This franchise is a mess.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:02 PM
AvsWraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
... Stastny once again gets berated around here for no reason at all. I almost wish he would be traded just to get appreciated by a fan base again.
I wish he could finish a three-on-one once in awhile, but I know that isn't happening.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:03 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsWraith View Post
I wonder if ROR knows this already. If he's such a smart guy, he probably knows that management, at every level, of this organization is a joke. Maybe he knows that even with him, this team isn't a playoff team. He probably wants to go to a team that actually wants to compete and be in the playoffs on a consistent basis, and I wouldn't blame him. This franchise is a mess.
I'm a fan of Bernie the St. Bernard.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:03 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
I have no problem with articles asking what the **** Avs front office are doing. I do think the articles should ask what the **** O'Reilly and his agent are doing at the same time, because their actions are equally baffling.

That the stubbornness of one of the sides could cause O'Reilly not to play any NHL hockey this year and you don't know which side it would be should tell you all you need to know about how idiotic this situation is and everyone involved has to own that.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Mant*

The legend just keeps on growing.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsWraith View Post
I wish he could finish a three-on-one once in awhile, but I know that isn't happening.
How many three on one's does the guy get again? Let alone with a player that can finish, in a system that doesn't facilitate only scoring on the rush and with defenders that know how to pinch properly?

After Hejduk, Stastny is our most tenured Av. After him? Jones or McLeod. The roster turn over on this team needs to slow down and it starts by making Staz an Av for the next five years and playing him with our franchise winger.

O'Reilly can sign for 4 per and prove he deserves his ice time by producing with Downie and someone next year. Holding out does him or us no good.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:13 PM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:

The bold is the only thing I disagree with. He may grow into that contract but at this point it's still a risk. I absolutely agree that he's the kind of player you win with, and his smarts, work ethic, and defensive play are hard to replace, but if he doesn't at least replicate last season on a consistent basis then you have an albatross of a contract on your hands. Players like Bolland or Hanzal are of a similar mold, but I don't think you'll find anyone who would say they are worth $5m. Really, I just want to make sure last year wasn't an outlier before going all in on him, which is why I think the bridge deal makes sense.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Orwell1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
The legend just keeps on growing.
Some of the media stuff recently certainly seems over the top for sure. I'm solidly in O'Reillys' corner but..........

It really just boils down to a percieved role with the team. He feels he's ready for an expanded role ( offence ). The Avs' have already settled on their #1 and #2 it appears. His best option is to make an unreasonable demand, force the Avs' to make a move. This way he comes off looking a little greedy but he doesn't have to admit what he thinks of mngmnt. and team direction overall. His will to win borders on unhealthy but the single-minded drive is what every team wants.

Given the tone of some of recent articles and media comentary the Avs' are probably best to continue this stalemate. His percieved value seems to be rising daily Someone is going to "overpay" just wait.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:45 PM
HockeyFan100
#FreeRedmond

Fire Sacco before trading Stastny. That's an order.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:07 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:

Can I get an amen. We tried for how long to replace Drury when we traded him? Now we got a guy who has a similiar game to that of Drury and we are considering trading him again? Hell no. I would trade Casper first before I even think about tradeing ROR

Old
02-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Stastny's an ok player, about an average #2 center. He's getting berated because he's being paid to be, and is expected to be, a cornerpiece of this team and he's not. He can't shut down top lines like O'Reilly can, and he can't power an offense the way Duchene can. If he hits UFA and some team picks him up for around $4.5M a year to be a complimentary piece, they won't be disappointed. A team that would choose to play Stastny over O'Reilly is a team that deserves a lottery pick.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:46 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Can I get an amen. We tried for how long to replace Drury when we traded him? Now we got a guy who has a similiar game to that of Drury and we are considering trading him again? Hell no. I would trade Casper first before I even think about tradeing ROR
Quoted for Truth....

I've been saying, essentially, the same thing for the last several weeks but have been getting some questionable responses.

Closed Thread