HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Райан О'Рейли: In Soviet Ontario Offer Sheets Sign You; Rayan's 3rd Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 12:42 AM
CobraAcesS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
I don't believe there even is a deadline this year.
Yeah, No there isn't : http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/1/1...ted-free-agent

Old
02-11-2013, 12:58 AM
EdAVSfan

I can't believe this is still going on.

What is O'Reiily thinking?

Old
02-11-2013, 01:02 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAVS View Post
I can't believe this is still going on.

What is O'Reiily thinking?
What are the Avs thinking?

Old
02-11-2013, 01:16 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
"What is O'Reilly thinking?"

Old
02-11-2013, 01:17 AM
Nihiliste

I was watching some footage from last year and man I miss seeing O'reilly and Landeskog out there. Get this guy signed.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:33 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
"What is O'Reilly thinking?"
Uh, already asked.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:52 AM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
Because, like the lockout, these actions are always going to be worse for the player. The avalanche was here before ROR and will continue without him. The Avs continue to roll, ice a team, earn a profit and most probably, get themselves another good draft pick.

On the other hand, ROR is gaining nothing by doing this and is causing harm to his career both financially and developmentally.

This team isn't battling with Sidney Crosby here. ROR is a replaceable part, not the savior of the franchise.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:02 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAVS View Post
Because, like the lockout, these actions are always going to be worse for the player. The avalanche was here before ROR and will continue without him. The Avs continue to roll, ice a team, earn a profit and most probably, get themselves another good draft pick.

On the other hand, ROR is gaining nothing by doing this and is causing harm to his career both financially and developmentally.

This team isn't battling with Sidney Crosby here. ROR is a replaceable part, not the savior of the franchise.
Say what you will, but players like Ryan O'Reilly don't come around very often. They really don't. The Avs have taken elite defensive players for granted before and it's bitten them in the ass, and it will here if they choose to part ways with the kid. I'm not happy with O'Reilly at this point either, but I still think the Avs have done plenty to mishandle the situation badly thus far, and continue to do so.

The reported offers the Avs have on the table are aren't unreasonable, but I refuse to believe the O'Reilly camp is demanding vast gobs of money. I wish they'd come down a bit, sure, but I wish the Avs would show a little flexibility as well.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:08 AM
Nihiliste

Quote:
Say what you will, but players like Ryan O'Reilly don't come around very often. They really don't. The Avs have taken elite defensive players for granted before and it's bitten them in the ass, and it will here if they choose to part ways with the kid. I'm not happy with O'Reilly at this point either, but I still think the Avs have done plenty to mishandle the situation badly thus far, and continue to do so.

The reported offers the Avs have on the table are aren't unreasonable, but I refuse to believe the O'Reilly camp is demanding vast gobs of money. I wish they'd come down a bit, sure, but I wish the Avs would show a little flexibility as well.
I agree. As much as I've criticized O'reilly for his handling of this situation, he is a rare asset and about as far as you can get from being a replaceable part without being an offensive star. If they intend to see this rebuild through successfully and not have to blow things up again, O'reilly needs to be a core piece going forward.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:18 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
I agree. As much as I've criticized O'reilly for his handling of this situation, he is a rare asset and about as far as you can get from being a replaceable part without being an offensive star. If they intend to see this rebuild through successfully and not have to blow things up again, O'reilly needs to be a core piece going forward.
Exactly. The Avs have essentially built the identity of the team around him, not Duchene. Not saying they should get rid of Duchene, but if they deal O'Reilly they'll be pulling the plug yet again on a rebuild attempt, or at the very least setting it back substantially.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:25 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with the two year offer they have on the table for him but the five year deal doesn't make much sense. He'll be in his prime and they want to buy one of his free agency years but they're only offering $3.4M/yr. Teams usually pay a bit more to delay free agency but the Avs are actually offering him less money long-term. That offer should be at least $20M over five years.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:32 AM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

I think it's clear now, O'Reilly wants out of Colorado no matter what. F him, trade his greedy ass somewhere else and move on. I'm completely done with this

Old
02-11-2013, 02:37 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qurpiz View Post
I think it's clear now, O'Reilly wants out of Colorado no matter what. F him, trade his greedy ass somewhere else and move on. I'm completely done with this
No, it's not "clear" now. There has been no indication whatsoever that O'Reilly has requested a trade or is trying to engineer one. He was willing to sign here long-term if the Avs agreed to buy one of the years of his free agency. Diss the kid and his agent all you want, but until a trade request has been filed or someone goes on record saying O'Reilly wants to go somewhere else, you're making huge and completely unsubstantiated assumptions when you say he wants out "no matter what."

Old
02-11-2013, 02:46 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
There is nothing wrong with the two year offer they have on the table for him but the five year deal doesn't make much sense. He'll be in his prime and they want to buy one of his free agency years but they're only offering $3.4M/yr. Teams usually pay a bit more to delay free agency but the Avs are actually offering him less money long-term. That offer should be at least $20M over five years.
I suspect the Avs first offered the 5y/17mil.
And when O'Reilly didn't want that, they offered a shorter deal and never offered a 2nd long-term deal.
I also sincerely suspect the Avs didn't offer 2y/7mil off the bat, instead that was the result of negotiations that it got even that high.
And apparently that is as high as the Avs will go, and they (rightfully) think that's enough.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:02 AM
IceRat
#BallsOnTheTable

Quote:
The 6-foot, 200-pound O’Reilly is described by NHL Central Scouting as a player who “really believes in the team winning, not himself.” O’Reilly served as an assistant captain for Erie during the 2008-09 season and helped lead the club to its first postseason berth since 2005 by recording 66 points (16g/50a) in 68 games. The Clinton, Ontario native participated in both the 2009 OHL All-Star Classic and the CHL Top Prospects Game. He won a gold medal with Team Canada at the 2008 Ivan Hlinka tournament and also served as Canada’s captain at the 2009 IIHF World Under-18 Championship.

http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=432118

Quote:
Ryan O’Reilly, C, 6’0”, 200 pounds…B…O’Reilly appears to be the answer for the Avs at the #3 center position, a kid with great defensive acumen, great hockey smarts, and a team first mentality. He should give the Avs’ penalty kill instant credibility as he has drawn comparisons to former team stalwart Stephan Yelle. The one concern about O’Reilly is his offensive skill set. He may need a year or two in the minors to round out his game but could serve as the third line center for years to come.

http://www.examiner.com/article/colo...9-draft-review

Old
02-11-2013, 04:18 AM
PAZ

He is a team player when he's on the ice... which is what he scouting reports are referring to.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:18 AM
Cresto
In the pantry

The thread titles become more and more condescending.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:43 AM
CobraAcesS

I wonder if this list helps or hurts O'Reilly's case? It sure does not help his case that he should make more than Duchene on his second deal.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=414301

Old
02-11-2013, 08:11 AM
kento19
@kento19

I really hope captaincy isn't an issue in this at all. Based on Duchene's maturity and radars immaturity, the future captaincy for the Av's has been set for a long time. Lando will be captain for years. A's will be between EJ, Staz and Duchene. If staz leaves it will be EJ and Duchene. There is no way either of those two will ever be stripped of a letter meaning the part of the jersey hovering over O'Reilly's heart will be awfully bare for a very long time.

Old
02-11-2013, 08:13 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekento19 View Post
I really hope captaincy isn't an issue in this at all. Based on Duchene's maturity and radars immaturity, the future captaincy for the Av's has been set for a long time. Lando will be captain for years. A's will be between EJ, Staz and Duchene. If staz leaves it will be EJ and Duchene. There is no way either of those two will ever be stripped of a letter meaning the part of the jersey hovering over O'Reilly's heart will be awfully bare for a very long time.
So in other words, it's better that he leaves? I guess so.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:31 AM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
I'm becoming more and more convinced that it doesn't have anything to do with money. I have a feeling O'R just wants out of Colorado. And I'm not sure that comes from contract negotiations either.

For what it's worth, I completely believed Anderson's and Quincey's parting comments when they were traded from the organization.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:54 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Pay him

Old
02-11-2013, 10:12 AM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
Exactly. The Avs have essentially built the identity of the team around him, not Duchene. Not saying they should get rid of Duchene, but if they deal O'Reilly they'll be pulling the plug yet again on a rebuild attempt, or at the very least setting it back substantially.
How exactly have the avs built the identity of the team around him?

Your logic would dictate that, if this were true, they would never have played hard ball with him. This team is CLEARLY building around Varlamov, Duchene, and EJ.

I agree that ROR is an important part of the team. But regardless of how you try to convince me, he's not the difference between this team moving forward or not. Between the draft and the possible trades, ROR is replaceable in terms of what this team lacks. If you put a healthy Landeskog and Downie in this lineup, the difference would probably be night and day, with or without ROR.

The avs can easily go and get a 3rd line center with defensive responsibilities. That player just more than likely wont have as good offense as ROR. And really? Who cares? I would absolutely not allow a player, who, for not one season, would have only been offered half of what hes already been offered to stay. Because lets face it. IF last season, Duchene didnt crap the bed, ROR doesnt get his minutes, and puts up nowhere near what he did. His contract offer would probably be in the 2M range.

Its one thing to fight tooth and nail to get a contract you think you earned. But clearly, once youve missed 10 games, and management isnt likely to budge on the contract terms, what exactly are you accomplishing other than harming your image and your career as an NHLer?

And no, just because ROR is dealt, does not mean the rebuild is restarting. It would all depend on who's coming back the other way.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:15 AM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
I'm becoming more and more convinced that it doesn't have anything to do with money. I have a feeling O'R just wants out of Colorado. And I'm not sure that comes from contract negotiations either.

For what it's worth, I completely believed Anderson's and Quincey's parting comments when they were traded from the organization.
what were the parting comments?

Old
02-11-2013, 10:19 AM
ChrisNI

vCash: 50
Is he still injured?
Can he still sign elsewhere while the negotiations continue like back in Russia?

Closed Thread