HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part V)

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Classic Devil
Spirit of 1988

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenriquesJawLine View Post
He plays in front of the net and along the boards, I don't see how he would fall into a steep decline. Speed or his shot aren't his game. As long as he keeps parking his body in front of the net he's going to score
Mostly it's because while I have incredible faith in Clarkson's ability to score goals, I still to this day cannot really describe why he scores goals. It mostly seems to be a willingness to shoot from anywhere and what must be a very deceptive release, because he consistently fools goalies on shots and I can't understand why or how.

I suppose saying that means he'll fall into a decline doesn't make a lot of sense, if I can't understand how he does what he does then there's little reason for me to think it'll stop (or continue).

Old
02-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
I was talking to be friend the other night and basically came to the conclusion that, if someone asked me to explain WHY Clarkson was good, I wouldn't really be able to do it.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:49 PM
tycobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Mostly it's because while I have incredible faith in Clarkson's ability to score goals, I still to this day cannot really describe why he scores goals. It mostly seems to be a willingness to shoot from anywhere and what must be a very deceptive release, because he consistently fools goalies on shots and I can't understand why or how.

I suppose saying that means he'll fall into a decline doesn't make a lot of sense, if I can't understand how he does what he does then there's little reason for me to think it'll stop (or continue).
Clarkson is a very productive player, but he can easily be shutdown which is why it would be crazy for a team to give him anything more than 4 million. He can't live up to a 5 million contract.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Classic Devil
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
I was talking to be friend the other night and basically came to the conclusion that, if someone asked me to explain WHY Clarkson was good, I wouldn't really be able to do it.
Yeah. He just is. You take his skillset and add all his attributes together, and there's no reason to think you would get a 30G scorer out of it. But he pulls it off somehow. So there's still a part of me that thinks he's been on a five year hot streak.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:52 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
what has been seen cannot be unseen.

5m is a little bit too much for him IMO, but anything less than what Hartnell gets is fine by me. He deserves it.
I know good crow recipes. I would cap him at 4.5 or so. 5 is really getting up there unless he can produce another season like the last this year.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:52 PM
MartysBetterThanYou

I say 4/$18 mil

His sheer drive is amazing. He never quits on a play, that is something that might decline with age, but will persist through his prime, so 4 years is perfect. If Kovy shot on net the amount of times Clarkson does, he'd have more goals than Marleau right now.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Oroku Saki*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I know good crow recipes. I would cap him at 4.5 or so. 5 is really getting up there unless he can produce another season like the last this year.
$5 is if he does score 30 again (pro-rated). It's my absolute cut off point. I'd be really happy with $4.5 or less.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Scottyk9
Henrique to Hall..

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Way to early to be talking about summer moves but f it I'm bored. Elias 4.5 3 yrs. Clarkson 4m 4 yrs. Clowe 4.2 4yrs. Perry 7m 7yrs. Zubrus walks and is replaced by clowe. Zidlicky walks replaced my gelinas. Volch/tallinder moved for picks and replaced by urbom

/unrealistic summer end

Old
02-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Way to early to be talking about summer moves but f it I'm bored. Elias 4.5 3 yrs. Clarkson 4m 4 yrs. Clowe 4.2 4yrs. Perry 7m 7yrs. Zubrus walks and is replaced by clowe. Zidlicky walks replaced my gelinas. Volch/tallinder moved for picks and replaced by urbom

/unrealistic summer end
Don't forget, Henrique and Josefson are RFAs this year too. Although Josefson shouldn't have too much of an increase from $900k. I'd figure Adam would get around $2-2.5M depending on the term.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Oroku Saki*

Most of us thought Fayne was going to get $3 million or so. Hopefully Lou gets a great deal out of Henrique as well.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:11 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
I tried that too. I came up with strong puck possession, good hand eye for deflections, feistiness, luck.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:15 PM
battlingBard56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post

/unrealistic summer end
Do want. (but as you said, unrealistic. )

edit- Didn't think about Josefson and Henrique. D'oh!

Old
02-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
I tried that too. I came up with strong puck possession, good hand eye for deflections, feistiness, luck.
Good on the cycle, quickness, more than solid wrist shot.

If somebody told me this, yeah, I`d probably say that said guy can be a 30+ goal scorer. Then you watch him on the ice and you`re like... wait what?

But it`s true, he does posses those qualities.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

fayne, while a good, is easily replaceable. henrique not so much. it's much harder to find early 20's top 6 caliber goal scorers than it is to find mid-20's 2nd pairing mostly defensive d-men. that means henrique can command a higher salary than fayne can. henrique also knows that teams would be willing to give up draft picks to offer sheet him. again, maybe not so much for fayne.

getting perry would be a dream. too bad it would include the word pipe in front of it.
he's going to be in high demand and even if he wanted to come here, i don't know if we could afford him for the price he will demand. we would need to move probably as much cap space as he would cost in between now and then in order to still re-sign all our guys. not to mention i still think it's more likely he stays with the ducks.

dear goodness that would be a sexy lineup though
kovalchuk-zajac-clarkson
elias-henrique-perry
matteau-josefson-zubrus
carter-gio-bernier

any defense and goalie behind that would look good.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:25 PM
KohoDonuts88
#SaluteMB30

I have practically zero concern Clarkie goes anywhere else. Only way he leaves if he is completely lowballed. I think he gets signed before free agency. Dude loves being a Devil.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
I gotta say that Gionta is making me eat crow right now. I was convinced that this was guy was merely an above average AHL grinder, but he's convincing me he's a good bottom sixer in the NHL.

Averaging two shots per game with three points so far this year.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Aside from that mistake on the 2 on 1 vs. the Habs, Fayne has been solid. Coming off an injury/lockout, it speaks for itself.

I think we saw how "replaceable" Fayne is yesterday. Just one of those games you say? Yes, but his virtually flawless D game would`ve helped immensely.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

that whole line is a walking success story. they play so well together too, it's great to see.
i was skeptical about their success continuing this year, but after their game last night, it's hard not to have confidence in them being one of the better 4th lines in the league (even though they're our third right now).

Old
02-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Aside from that mistake on the 2 on 1 vs. the Habs, Fayne has been solid. Coming off an injury/lockout, it speaks for itself.

I think we saw how "replaceable" Fayne is yesterday. Just one of those games you say? Yes, but his virtually flawless D game would`ve helped immensely.
i don't mean to make it sound like he's not important, just that he got about as much as i think he commands. maybe a little less, but not by much.

it's clear that he helps greene look good though, not the other way around.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:34 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
it's clear that he helps greene look good though, not the other way around.
Then why doesn't he deserve more than Greene?

Old
02-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

Loving Gionta right now. Great to see how excited he was for Anderson when he got his first point.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoyJPP View Post
Then why doesn't he deserve more than Greene?
greene is a bit better offensively and signed his contract as a ufa, if i'm not mistaken.
greene's 2nd contract was similar to what fayne got, so i'm willing to bet fayne's next contract will be similar to greene's current one.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:46 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Good on the cycle, quickness, more than solid wrist shot.

If somebody told me this, yeah, I`d probably say that said guy can be a 30+ goal scorer. Then you watch him on the ice and you`re like... wait what?

But it`s true, he does posses those qualities.
Right. I was just afraid to list quickness to someone and have them watch only to see him fall on his face 3 times in a shift.

Shoulda listed Magic skills since I can't fully explain it.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Right. I was just afraid to list quickness to someone and have them watch only to see him fall on his face 3 times in a shift.

Shoulda listed Magic skills since I can't fully explain it.
Why? Much like Hartnell, who also falls down many times during a game, his speed is good. It`s his balance that is atrocious.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:51 PM
OpethNJD
loldevils

I see zubrus walking in the summer, Elias will resign cause he is a career devil like Marty, clarkson I'm not so sure about...that's gonna depend on if he gets lowballed but he gets treated very well here so we'll see.

Closed Thread