HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part V)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2013, 04:30 PM
  #951
The Green Unit
Registered User
 
The Green Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 4,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Larsson has looked good but he does need to get rid of the goal against giveaway still. Pretty sure he had the really bad giveaway that lead to the Lecavalier chance late in the game that would have cut the lead to one.
Agreed but he's a 20 years old defence-man, it's like being 18 for a forward. Everything is going to be fine, just a matter of time, and patience.

The Green Unit is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 04:37 PM
  #952
Scott04
Registered User
 
Scott04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Larsson has looked good but he does need to get rid of the goal against giveaway still. Pretty sure he had the really bad giveaway that lead to the Lecavalier chance late in the game that would have cut the lead to one.
That's going to be an experience thing. While he still has those iffy plays, he makes some great breakout passes that few, if any of our other defensemen, have the vision to pull off. Get him a little more experience and feel and I'm sure he'll improve upon when he takes chances and limit his giveaways.

Scott04 is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 04:49 PM
  #953
RooneyConnSmythe12
Temporary avatar
 
RooneyConnSmythe12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
But Josefson has never really had a hype train. Nobody expected him to be a huge scorer. At best I was thinking Elias-lite, because they have similar playmaking styles. At the draft, Pierre called him the long term replacement for Madden, and that's what he's looking like right now. So why the backlash, if he was never hyped up to begin with?
I'd be thrilled if Yayo ended up being another John Madden. Wouldn't you?

RooneyConnSmythe12 is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 05:16 PM
  #954
Zippy316
Registered User
 
Zippy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauDevils View Post
Jacob Josefson - 10 gp, 1A, -6

Impressive feat for someone on a team that's 6-1-3. Someone defend him without using the word 'intangibles'.
Because stats tell the whole story, I forgot about that. He's played with either Barch or Janssen or Matteau at even strength. If you watch games, you'd see how we'll he is playing. Look at the offensive production of his even strength line mates, if you want to judge his scoring and plus/minus.

Zippy316 is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 05:17 PM
  #955
Cowbell232
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,515
vCash: 500
I don't think he's physical or intimating enough to be Madden-esque. He's got some fire in his game, but he's definitely looking like an Elias-lite.

Perhaps a more apt example is Brylin? Can play top line or fourth, score on occasion or check an opponents top line...

__________________
[size="1"]"Why I'll be a Devil forever [...] two words. Trust and respect." - Mr. Pat Burns
Cowbell232 is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 05:18 PM
  #956
kiwidevil
____________________
 
kiwidevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,461
vCash: 500
Elias-extralite.

kiwidevil is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 05:23 PM
  #957
Bleedred
Foligno sucks
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: shouldafiredfoligno
Country: United States
Posts: 39,179
vCash: 500
Is Josefson really a -6? Oh well can't expect him to be consistent with all the instability he's seen. Matteau has 0 points, and has been on the first line more than half the games he plays.

Bleedred is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 05:27 PM
  #958
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party
 
Chessarmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,046
vCash: 500
I think its time to admit that Josefson is nothing more than a 4th line center right now, and he probably isn't going to be much of an offensive dynamo

Chessarmy is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 05:30 PM
  #959
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Josefson's linemates have included Josefson's best linemate this season, aside from a very brief stint with Kovy and Zajac, has been Bobby Butler. I didn't know he was a -6, but that's not exactly a surprise by any means.

There are plenty of great defensive players that have negative +/- seasons. Ryan Callahan is considered one of the best defensive forwards in the league, and his last 4 years are -12, -7, -8, and he's a -3 right now.

As for his lack of offensive numbers, he has served the puck on a silver platter to see his linemate miss a golden opportunity, either missing the net or hitting the goalie.

apice3* is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 05:31 PM
  #960
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessarmy View Post
I think its time to admit that Josefson is nothing more than a 4th line center right now, and he probably isn't going to be much of an offensive dynamo
Yes, I think we should give up on a forward who is 21 and hasn't even played the equivalent of a full NHL season yet (69 games).

DevilChuk* is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 05:31 PM
  #961
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering
 
manilaNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessarmy View Post
I think its time to admit that Josefson is nothing more than a 4th line center right now, and he probably isn't going to be much of an offensive dynamo
No one is claiming him to be.
It's not his offense that has gained respect from most of us.

manilaNJ is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 05:33 PM
  #962
Bleedred
Foligno sucks
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: shouldafiredfoligno
Country: United States
Posts: 39,179
vCash: 500
Josefson can still be a solid 3rd line center. Something he has not gotten a chance to be at all this season for an entire game. Due to the 4th line now being the 3rd line.

We don't have the roster flexibility right now to put him on the 3rd line. We'd have to break up CBGB for it. Matteau on the 1st line(Which sucks big time) shows you the mash up we have.

Bleedred is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 05:34 PM
  #963
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering
 
manilaNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,954
vCash: 500
+/- is, quite bluntly, a garbage stat. And it is often one that individual players have no control over.

So I'm just going to reiterate the fact, for anyone who still thinks his defense is being overrated:

He is the forward playing the most short handed minutes per game - on a PK that has gone 19-for-19 since that Islander catastrophe.

He's a solid bottom 6 center with a lot of room to grow.

manilaNJ is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 05:37 PM
  #964
kiwidevil
____________________
 
kiwidevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,461
vCash: 500
He is becoming our forward Volchenkov. PK specialist.

Josefson has been responsible for 2-3 goals against also, let's not act like he is a Zajac or Bergeron 5 on 5.

kiwidevil is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 05:39 PM
  #965
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:
 
Hockey Sports Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 7,097
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessarmy View Post
I think its time to admit that Josefson is nothing more than a 4th line center right now, and he probably isn't going to be much of an offensive dynamo
There's no reason to give up on Yayo offensively so early. He's not gonna be a huge point producer, but the last guy to lead Albany in points didn't turn out too bad either. It really is too bad Josefson got injured after slotting in with Kovalchuk last year. We're essentially discounting this kid on his offense based on his injuries. He hasn't even played a season's worth of games yet. No reason to judge him prematurely for something that he hasn't had many opportunities to display so far.

EDIT: Jeeze that was a mess of sentences. Just remember Kovalchuk was able to put up goals with Josefson and Palmieri as linemates last season, before our forward lines exploded with injury and suckitude.

http://video.devils.nhl.com/videocen...N.J601&lang=en

Hockey Sports Fan is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 06:04 PM
  #966
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering
 
manilaNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
He is becoming our forward Volchenkov. PK specialist.

Josefson has been responsible for 2-3 goals against also, let's not act like he is a Zajac or Bergeron 5 on 5.
No, a kid isn't at an elite level defensively like Bergeron or Zajac yet. He's 21.

The goals will come, but the point of me offering up that information is to show that despite his lack of offense... his coaches trust him to play in all areas and in tough situations. And he's succeeding.

When you play with crap and you're forced to hold up your line defensively.. things like bad clears are going to happen. I think 90% of the team struggles to clear the zone when they get hemmed in. Marty isn't going to stop them all.

And what else is there? A bad bounce off his stick? That happened to Tallinder and Larsson, too. It happens and it's unfortunate but the kid isn't a welcome mat in front of the net by any means.

I'm honestly, and I mean genuinely curious as to what some of you are seeing so unpromising in this 21 year old's game.

Other than the limp shot he has right now, but that regressed with every injury and has the ability to get some confidence back in it again.

manilaNJ is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 06:28 PM
  #967
kiwidevil
____________________
 
kiwidevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,461
vCash: 500
I think he needs offense to stick around. You can't afford to have a 3rd line C that will struggle to put up 15 points a year. Our team is built on depth and getting goals from all lines. Josefson has had time to prove himself, not just this year.

I don't mind him on the team at all and he is an asset. But at some point even if you are a good defensive player you become a one way player if you can't provide offense. He looks like he is shooting a 5kg puck at the net when he does get open.

kiwidevil is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 06:41 PM
  #968
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering
 
manilaNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
I think he needs offense to stick around. You can't afford to have a 3rd line C that will struggle to put up 15 points a year. Our team is built on depth and getting goals from all lines. Josefson has had time to prove himself, not just this year.

I don't mind him on the team at all and he is an asset. But at some point even if you are a good defensive player you become a one way player if you can't provide offense. He looks like he is shooting a 5kg puck at the net when he does get open.
He's only played 79 games total in his entire tenure as a Devil.

10 pts in 28 games during the blackhole of a season in 10-11.
9 pts in 41 games in his last season that was littered with injuries.
1 pt in 10 games without having real, or stable, linemates.

I'm convinced he could have a lot more points this season if he had real linemates to set up. Nothing is more frustrating than watching him give a nice feed to one of Barch/Cam/whoever... with 0% chance that the person on the receiving end will put it in the net.

I think we can afford to be patient with him for just a while longer - and let him mature a bit before writing him off as perpetually stonehanded.

The Loki acquisition sparked it, but I think it would be beneficial for him to play wing instead to help keep his mind on shooting at the net more.

manilaNJ is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 06:50 PM
  #969
Marshal Rochambeau
New Jersey HC
 
Marshal Rochambeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,204
vCash: 500
The EHC will attract other teams top defenseman and ease the weight on Kovy's shoulders.

Butler will slither through five players and send the shot far wide of the net. He plays hockey well enough to stay in the NHL otherwise.

When Butler starts scoring, Josefson will rack up the assists. Loktionov will only add to the onslaught.

Marshal Rochambeau is online now  
Old
02-08-2013, 07:21 PM
  #970
billingtons ghost
Registered User
 
billingtons ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,181
vCash: 500
So, before the season begins and before we play a game everyone has seen enough and is ready to kick this kid to the curb. Then he has a breakout game against the Flyers where he is our best player on the ice, follows it up with an excellent game, and everyone shuts up for two weeks.

Now, we're back to: 'he sucks'.

billingtons ghost is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 07:23 PM
  #971
battlingBard56
Registered User
 
battlingBard56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Union County, NJ
Country: Poland
Posts: 1,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashintangibles View Post
Agreed but he's a 20 years old defence-man, it's like being 18 for a forward. Everything is going to be fine, just a matter of time, and patience.
I gotta say, I've read many of your posts and you seem like one of the most classy and reasonable out of all of us here. I like you. Thank you for your posts. =]

battlingBard56 is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 07:25 PM
  #972
battlingBard56
Registered User
 
battlingBard56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Union County, NJ
Country: Poland
Posts: 1,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
No, a kid isn't at an elite level defensively like Bergeron or Zajac yet. He's 21.

The goals will come, but the point of me offering up that information is to show that despite his lack of offense... his coaches trust him to play in all areas and in tough situations. And he's succeeding.

When you play with crap and you're forced to hold up your line defensively.. things like bad clears are going to happen. I think 90% of the team struggles to clear the zone when they get hemmed in. Marty isn't going to stop them all.

And what else is there? A bad bounce off his stick? That happened to Tallinder and Larsson, too. It happens and it's unfortunate but the kid isn't a welcome mat in front of the net by any means.

I'm honestly, and I mean genuinely curious as to what some of you are seeing so unpromising in this 21 year old's game.

Other than the limp shot he has right now, but that regressed with every injury and has the ability to get some confidence back in it again.
THANK YOU. Well said!

battlingBard56 is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 07:26 PM
  #973
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering
 
manilaNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,954
vCash: 500
And one of the best usernames around here, too.

manilaNJ is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 07:34 PM
  #974
Bleedred
Foligno sucks
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: shouldafiredfoligno
Country: United States
Posts: 39,179
vCash: 500
Let's see Josefson start a game without a goon first. Part of me would rather see him on the 1st line than Matteau.

Bleedred is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 07:53 PM
  #975
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,500
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
That's going to be an experience thing. While he still has those iffy plays, he makes some great breakout passes that few, if any of our other defensemen, have the vision to pull off. Get him a little more experience and feel and I'm sure he'll improve upon when he takes chances and limit his giveaways.
I thought it was interesting when the Skelleftea fan poster brought up the point that their breakout scheme is different from ours. Larsson has actually been trained since juniors to make that risky cross crease pass instead of going up the boards like we want him to. He'll have to unlearn that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2OnTheRoad10AtHOme View Post
I'd be thrilled if Yayo ended up being another John Madden. Wouldn't you?
Of course I would be, but the point is that nobody has ever hyped up John Madden, except maybe Devils fans talking about his Selke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Let's see Josefson start a game without a goon first. Part of me would rather see him on the 1st line than Matteau.
He gets played there all the time late in games when DeBoer doesn't trust Matteau enough defensively.

Saugus is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.