HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Irwin and Demers pending RFA

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-31-2013, 01:34 PM
  #1
FeedingFrenzy
Registered User
 
FeedingFrenzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,433
vCash: 500
Irwin and Demers pending RFA

If Irwin(650k) continues to play well, what kind of deal would DW be looking at? 2 or 3 year range, 700k a year? Or go the route of 1 year deals? What's the norm for a player in Irwin's position?

Demers due to his injuries present and past, should be had for the same price I'd imagine(1.25m). A 2yr/2.5m prove yourself deal or 4yr/6.8m deal, small raise and lock him up. Demers healthy, locked up for 4 years at 1.7m, would be ok with me.

FeedingFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:55 PM
  #2
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!
 
DuckEatinShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Jose
Posts: 5,423
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy View Post
If Irwin(650k) continues to play well, what kind of deal would DW be looking at? 2 or 3 year range, 700k a year? Or go the route of 1 year deals? What's the norm for a player in Irwin's position?

Demers due to his injuries present and past, should be had for the same price I'd imagine(1.25m). A 2yr/2.5m prove yourself deal or 4yr/6.8m deal, small raise and lock him up. Demers healthy, locked up for 4 years at 1.7m, would be ok with me.
The Irwin deal sounds about right. He'll probably get what Derek Joslin got from Carolina. We'll have to wait and see how Demers plays to figure out his deal though but he was doing pretty well in Europe before he got injured. Demers should get a little less than what Nick Leddy will get though.

If Murray is not retained, I imagine Petrecki will be signed similar to the Irwin deal.

DuckEatinShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:59 PM
  #3
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,551
vCash: 500
I don't think Petrecki will be re-signed unless there are some substantial changes to his game.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:07 PM
  #4
stalockrox
Registered User
 
stalockrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
I don't think Petrecki will be re-signed unless there are some substantial changes to his game.
I don't know if the org is ready to give up on him yet but he has fallen way down the depth chart and there are d-men that will be turning pro next year that will need to play, so it wouldn't shock me if he is traded or not qualified.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:17 PM
  #5
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Fistfullofbeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Country: India
Posts: 7,997
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
I don't know if the org is ready to give up on him yet but he has fallen way down the depth chart and there are d-men that will be turning pro next year that will need to play, so it wouldn't shock me if he is traded or not qualified.
If he is traded for picks, what kind of a return should we expect?

__________________
What?! Look, he thinks he's people!
Fistfullofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:21 PM
  #6
stalockrox
Registered User
 
stalockrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
If he is traded for picks, what kind of a return should we expect?
If (big if) he's traded I actually see him going for a player that's having the same issues he is. Really, if the Sharks could convince the Kings to do a Loktionov for Petrecki swap (two guys that haven't quite lived up to their potential) I'd do a happy dance!

If it was for a pick, I'd think a very late 2nd, maybe a 3rd.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:44 PM
  #7
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
I don't think Petrecki will be re-signed unless there are some substantial changes to his game.
I think it's a near 100% certainty he's re-signed, especially if it's in the neighborhood that he signed for last time.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:45 PM
  #8
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy View Post
If Irwin(650k) continues to play well, what kind of deal would DW be looking at? 2 or 3 year range, 700k a year? Or go the route of 1 year deals? What's the norm for a player in Irwin's position?

Demers due to his injuries present and past, should be had for the same price I'd imagine(1.25m). A 2yr/2.5m prove yourself deal or 4yr/6.8m deal, small raise and lock him up. Demers healthy, locked up for 4 years at 1.7m, would be ok with me.
I think both SJ and Irwin jump at a 2 year deal that's in the 750k/100k area...maybe make year two a one-way at 800K.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:55 PM
  #9
Nighthock
**** the Kings...
 
Nighthock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 15,814
vCash: 163
both 3 yrs. at 1.25mil

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:00 PM
  #10
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,703
vCash: 1965
PK Subban just signed for $2.8M per, so Demers isn't scratching $2M.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:05 PM
  #11
Alaskanice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 1 1/2 hours away
Country: United States
Posts: 394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
I think it's a near 100% certainty he's re-signed, especially if it's in the neighborhood that he signed for last time.
I agree. I think the Sharks look at him as Murrays replacement. I know many have soured on him because it took a long time for him to get here but I think he could turn out to be a better player than Murray, if not as physical. He could turn out to be more offensively proficient, he has a great slapshot.

Alaskanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:33 PM
  #12
Vaasa
Registered User
 
Vaasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,240
vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskanice View Post
I agree. I think the Sharks look at him as Murrays replacement. I know many have soured on him because it took a long time for him to get here but I think he could turn out to be a better player than Murray, if not as physical. He could turn out to be more offensively proficient, he has a great slapshot.
I think a lot of people forget that Murray didn't play in the NHL until he was 25, and that for most of his first 2 seasons people (on this board) were calling him a "pylon" who was too slow and who didn't belong in the NHL. And if I remember right, it wasn't until 2009 (when Murray was 29) that people started admitting he was more than a #6 level defenseman.

Petrecki is only 23, and it's pretty universally acknowledged that the much bigger players like Murray, Petrecki, and Doherty usually take longer to develop. I think if the org gives up on Petrecki after this season they are making a mistake.

But then, it wouldn't be the first time.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:43 PM
  #13
stalockrox
Registered User
 
stalockrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskanice View Post
I agree. I think the Sharks look at him as Murrays replacement. I know many have soured on him because it took a long time for him to get here but I think he could turn out to be a better player than Murray, if not as physical. He could turn out to be more offensively proficient, he has a great slapshot.
I, personally, haven't "soured" on Petrecki. I've been one of the few people who keep saying give him time. His problem isn't how long it's taken him to get to the NHL because really, he doesn't belong in the NHL right now, the problem is his development path and what his likely ceiling is.

I do think Petrecki could still develop into a decent bottom pairing physical, defensive d-man. I'm just not sure that it's going to be with the Sharks when you consider the d-men currently on the NHL roster this season and next as well as a couple on the AHL roster who have higher upside.

If he's unable to crack the NHL roster next season I would imagine a change scenery and an opportunity to play in the NHL somewhere would make him happy as well.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:48 PM
  #14
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,385
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
If (big if) he's traded I actually see him going for a player that's having the same issues he is. Really, if the Sharks could convince the Kings to do a Loktionov for Petrecki swap (two guys that haven't quite lived up to their potential) I'd do a happy dance!

If it was for a pick, I'd think a very late 2nd, maybe a 3rd.
I'd be in favor of a Petrecki-Loktionov swap. I really like Lokti, he has a ton of talent. He'd be a stable as #3C on a soft minutes scoring line IMHO.

However, I don't want the org to give up on Petrecki. He's shown enough at the AHL level this year to warrant another contract.

As for Irwin, he shouldn't be worried about money as much as securing a one-way contract. Even if we let Murray go, we have 6 NHL defensemen ahead of Irwin on the depth chart.

And as for Demers, he should get Braun's contract, the 3 year $1.25M one, unless he shows that he's a special player this year.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:50 PM
  #15
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,857
vCash: 500
I could see DW offering Demers a 1 year 1.5 million contract. Small raise to make him happy (250k won't break the team), one year to prove himself, and still one RFA year left (unless it changed in the new CBA) so DW could lock him up long-term if he wants.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:47 PM
  #16
FeedingFrenzy
Registered User
 
FeedingFrenzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
I think a lot of people forget that Murray didn't play in the NHL until he was 25, and that for most of his first 2 seasons people (on this board) were calling him a "pylon" who was too slow and who didn't belong in the NHL. And if I remember right, it wasn't until 2009 (when Murray was 29) that people started admitting he was more than a #6 level defenseman.

Petrecki is only 23, and it's pretty universally acknowledged that the much bigger players like Murray, Petrecki, and Doherty usually take longer to develop. I think if the org gives up on Petrecki after this season they are making a mistake.

But then, it wouldn't be the first time.
good point. I also think with Robinson on board now, Petrecki gets analyzed/groomed by one of the best. Heck, Irwin is 25 and the kid is looking pretty good. No rush imo.

FeedingFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:24 PM
  #17
Alaskanice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 1 1/2 hours away
Country: United States
Posts: 394
vCash: 500
I get the sneaky feeling that Demers is the odd man out. I keep waiting to see that he's moved.

Alaskanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:27 PM
  #18
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,385
vCash: 567
I hope you are very wrong.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:43 PM
  #19
Alaskanice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 1 1/2 hours away
Country: United States
Posts: 394
vCash: 500
I hope i'm wrong as well. It just seems like when a team has too many defensemen...

Alaskanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:50 PM
  #20
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskanice View Post
I hope i'm wrong as well. It just seems like when a team has too many defensemen...
Well if so they are going to have to ice him because no one is going to trade for him until they know he is healthy and see how he is playing this year.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.