HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Newsday on Isles Defense, trade options

Closed Thread

Old
09-21-2003, 10:49 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Newsday on Isles Defense, trade options

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ders-headlines

highpoints of Alan Hahn's Comments:

1) Timmander is likely to be unprotected in this year' waiver draft. I have mixed feelings about whether he'll be taken. He is a solid #5 guy, but makes 1.4 million and most teams in the league have payrolls that are ready to bust. I'd like to see the Isles keep him, but doubt it will happen.

2) Hamrlik has asked his agent to try and negotiate an extension. So far, Isles and Hamrlik have not agreed on a number.

3) Most Islander dmen (and for that matter most Islander players) have contracts that will expire next summer. I think the Isles did this purposely, recognizing that NHL economics may shift next summer with (hopefully) a new CBA in place.

Bottom line: I think that Timmander will be gone, and I would not be surprised in the Isles tried to land a depth defensemen or two over the next few weeks. I don't think there is any real possibility of the Isles moving a dman for a winger (as had often been speculated here) unless Martinek suddenly grows wings and turns into a stud.

09-21-2003, 11:02 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury

1) Timmander is likely to be unprotected in this year' waiver draft. I have mixed feelings about whether he'll be taken. He is a solid #5 guy, but makes 1.4 million and most teams in the league have payrolls that are ready to bust. I'd like to see the Isles keep him, but doubt it will happen.

2) Hamrlik has asked his agent to try and negotiate an extension. So far, Isles and Hamrlik have not agreed on a number.

3) Most Islander dmen (and for that matter most Islander players) have contracts that will expire next summer. I think the Isles did this purposely, recognizing that NHL economics may shift next summer with (hopefully) a new CBA in place.

Bottom line: I think that Timmander will be gone, and I would not be surprised in the Isles tried to land a depth defensemen or two over the next few weeks. I don't think there is any real possibility of the Isles moving a dman for a winger (as had often been speculated here) unless Martinek suddenly grows wings and turns into a stud.
What if the Edmonton Oilers took him? They need d, or Toronto. I'm almost certain one of these teams would take him.

Old
09-21-2003, 11:11 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken
What if the Edmonton Oilers took him? They need d, or Toronto. I'm almost certain one of these teams would take him.

I think he could help a lot of teams in the right role. I just don't think many teams have $ to spend right now. I wish the Isles would spend the money to keep him!

Old
09-21-2003, 11:14 AM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
what is he making darth? around 1.3?

Old
09-21-2003, 12:05 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora's box
what is he making darth? around 1.3?
1.4 million, I think. I believe he has only one year left.

Old
09-21-2003, 12:10 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
with one year left i see him as a viable option

Old
09-21-2003, 12:19 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora's box
with one year left i see him as a viable option
It is definitely only a year, I'm just not sure of the $ level.

Old
09-21-2003, 12:33 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

somone is definitely going to pick him up.....almost every team i nthe league could use some defense..

Old
09-21-2003, 12:51 PM
JasonMacIsaac

vCash:
I don't know what type of money NJ has but they might even look at that option is Hale, Martin and Giroux don't work out. 1.4 is a little steep though after signing Larionov.

Old
09-21-2003, 01:36 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Take him, please!

Guess here is that Milbury's ideal scenario is to lose a Dman (Timander and his salary)/add a dman (cheaper) come the waiver draft.

Old
09-21-2003, 01:55 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
1.4 million, I think.

$1.2 mil actually, which isn't too bad if he's playing in a #5 role. The Leafs or Oilers could use a guy like him, as well as some other teams. If he's left unprotected, he'll likely be picked up.

Old
09-21-2003, 02:11 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
$1.2 mil actually, which isn't too bad if he's playing in a #5 role. The Leafs or Oilers could use a guy like him, as well as some other teams. If he's left unprotected, he'll likely be picked up.
Thanks for the information, Peter.

Really, that isn't that much. It just goes to show how tight the Isles' payroll is right now.

Old
09-21-2003, 02:19 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 105
Quote:
$1.2 mil actually, which isn't too bad if he's playing in a #5 role. The Leafs or Oilers could use a guy like him,
The leafs dont need 5-6 defenceman, they have plenty

Old
09-21-2003, 02:19 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Thanks for the information, Peter.
No problem.

Quote:
Really, that isn't that much. It just goes to show how tight the Isles' payroll is right now.
It's not much, considering that the Canucks will be paying $1.65 mil for their 5th d-man next season(Marek Malik), but the Isles also have one of the best top 4's in the league, and they cost money. Perhaps the Isles would rather have someone younger fill that spot or maybe they would rather save some money on the 5th/6th spots seeing that they are paying close to $13 mil on their top 4 d-men right now.

Old
09-21-2003, 02:25 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto80
The leafs dont need 5-6 defenceman, they have plenty
But they really only have 4 NHL ready defenders(Kaberle,McCabe, Berg, Marchment) and not too many trading chips. Unless they sign a guy like Ken Klee(which could very well happen) they're going to have a tough time getting a top 4 defender. They might be best off to pick up a quality go like Timander for nothing.

Old
09-21-2003, 04:01 PM
Nick Blue

Quote:

Welcome back Darth Milbury! Much better than Pecashin!

Old
09-21-2003, 04:06 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 105
Quote:
But they really only have 4 NHL ready defenders(Kaberle,McCabe, Berg, Marchment) and not too many trading chips. Unless they sign a guy like Ken Klee(which could very well happen) they're going to have a tough time getting a top 4 defender. They might be best off to pick up a quality go like Timander for nothing.
Why do that when you could give a spot to a dman that impresses in camp??

i.e. jackman, kondriatev, pilar, hedin, coco

Old
09-21-2003, 04:57 PM
Isles_Goal

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Goal
Quote:

Watch for Martinek...he will have a great year!! Before going down he was showing some real good things and the injury he had was not easy to come back from. I believe he will be the most improved d-man on the Isles!!

Old
09-21-2003, 05:33 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto80
Why do that when you could give a spot to a dman that impresses in camp??

i.e. jackman, kondriatev, pilar, hedin, coco
If one of those guys can grab a spot, then yes, there would be no reason to add another d-man. But if that doesn't happen, Timander is a nice option for a team lacking NHL defensemen.

Old
09-21-2003, 05:52 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
The Oilers don't need any third pairing Dmen. Ferguson, Cross, Bergeron, Luoma are all capable.

Old
09-21-2003, 10:29 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
The Oilers don't need any third pairing Dmen. Ferguson, Cross, Bergeron, Luoma are all capable.
Maybe Moreau for Timander. Works for me as we would get a solid d-man to replace Ferguson and free up some room up front. The 7th spot would be more of a dog fight and Bergeron would get a solid year to develop in the minors.

Old
09-21-2003, 10:35 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1
Maybe Moreau for Timander. Works for me as we would get a solid d-man to replace Ferguson and free up some room up front. The 7th spot would be more of a dog fight and Bergeron would get a solid year to develop in the minors.

I think the Oil could get Timander for less than that (like a 5th rounder), and then have Moreau to trade for something more useful

Old
09-21-2003, 10:44 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1
You are severely undervaluing Moreau the loss of losing him is much greater than the benefit of a 6th d-man who is not a great deal better than fergy.Plus 1.2mill extra in budget is a lot for Edmonton and clogs up advancement for our prospects(unless you want 1.2mill sitting in the pressbox). Moreau is Edmonton's best player on the checking line and has good leadership qualities and teaches our rookies he also has to go up against the other teams no. 1 line while 6th d-man gets about8-12mins of ice time.

Old
09-21-2003, 10:52 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Plus - not that it often matters when discussing trades here :p - the Isles do not need Moreau. That is not a swipe at him, it's simply a matter of requirements. NYI would likely be happier to simply lose Timander's $1M salary (and allocate it elsewhere, as appropriate), then to add a third-liner making $1.4M. They already have plenty of those type!

Old
09-22-2003, 05:15 AM
PuckU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Plus - not that it often matters when discussing trades here :p - the Isles do not need Moreau. That is not a swipe at him, it's simply a matter of requirements. NYI would likely be happier to simply lose Timander's $1M salary (and allocate it elsewhere, as appropriate), then to add a third-liner making $1.4M. They already have plenty of those type!

All you Islander Fans, have you been reading about their recent sucess with their new defensive style(The Trap). I think Coach Stearling might be on to something here. What do you think?

Closed Thread