HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Luongo Thread: Cory Who?

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 02:01 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarko2004 View Post
I don't know why you would move the younger, cheaper goalie who's yet to let you down.

Great Januarys has never been Luongo's weakness. If his value to this club is as great as you think, then he should bring a great trade return. If he doesn't (hasn't), then you may be misguided.
There appears to be more elements that factor into a players trade value than performance. I think you are grossly oversimplifying things with this post.

01-31-2013, 02:15 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
Luongo in about 5/6 yrs may become just the 3rd goalie in history with 500 wins and 1000 gms played.

I'm still holding on to the faintest of faint hope its with the Canucks...

But my question is...

Do any present goaltenders have a chance at hitting either mark in their their careers?

Fleury?

Old
01-31-2013, 02:19 PM
Eastside

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
Luongo in about 5/6 yrs may become just the 3rd goalie in history with 500 wins and 1000 gms played.

I'm still holding on to the faintest of faint hope its with the Canucks...

But my question is...

Do any present goaltenders have a chance at hitting either mark in their their careers?

Fleury?
Quick? Lundquist? I doubt either do, but they would have a shot I think.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:03 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
A buyout could be the best option.
I heard this possibility on Sportsnet over the noon hour and it's a good suggestion for one reason: The market for Luongo may be closing so it may become the one move left if Gillis wants to move one of his goalies - especially if this situation moves into the offseason.

It will not be the most popular option (And Gillis will fight it kicking and screaming - something I wouldn't blame him for because it would be pricey) but it may have to happen at some point.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:12 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
I heard this possibility on Sportsnet over the noon hour and it's a good suggestion for one reason: The market for Luongo may be closing so it may become the one move left if Gillis wants to move one of his goalies - especially if this situation moves into the offseason.

It will not be the most popular option (And Gillis will fight it kicking and screaming - something I wouldn't blame him for because it would be pricey) but it may have to happen at some point.
I disagree. The market for getting back what Gillis wants may be tough. But there are a number of teams who have expressed interest and have made offers but just not good enough assets. Gillis could easily trade Luongo tomorrow or this summer if he didn't want much back. A buyout is not an issue at all, IMO.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:13 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:

Soooooo pay a lot and get nothing for him but cap space? I'd rather get Kadri+2nd then pay a shizzen load to buy him out and get zero. Sportsnet owners also own the Leafs so they are just babbling again.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:14 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
Soooooo pay a lot and get nothing for him but cap space? I'd rather get Kadri+2nd then pay a shizzen load to buy him out and get zero. Sportsnet owners also own the Leafs so they are just babbling again.
Agreed. You buy out players like Redden and Gomez. Not elite starting goalies who still have a lot of value.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:17 PM
Babs

Quote:

What scenario would you have in mind for this being the only way out.

If we are in that much of a pickle this summer then all Gillis has to do is fire AV and trade Schneider and don't tell me that there won't be a market for Schneids.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:17 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Agreed. You buy out players like Redden and Gomez. Not elite starting goalies who still have a lot of value.
I agree that buyouts are extreme and expensive but a player's value depends on the market. Yes, there may have been great offers on the table (I like the idea of Kadri having a fresh start in a place like Vancouver) but are they still in play? Has anything changed to shut the door on a trade right now?

Luongo's contract might make for an ugly buyout (IF it becomes an option) but it also makes for a difficult trade.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:18 PM
thom

Bell also owns the leafs part owner of tsn.Maybe Shneider will be trades due to his contract could be a shocker

Old
01-31-2013, 03:20 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
What scenario would you have in mind for this being the only way out.

If we are in that much of a pickle this summer then all Gillis has to do is fire AV and trade Schneider and don't tell me that there won't be a market for Schneids.
I have no idea if there will be a market for Schneider - or anybody else for that matter. A lot depends on team needs, Gillis' demands, etc.

Buying out Luongo may be the only option if there are no trades available when the buyout period opens. If there's no market and a move has to happen then the GM and player are pretty much hooped - Whether I or anybody else like or agree with it.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:21 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
I don't blame you - but is the offer still on the table? Have the Leafs changed their minds about a trade like this? I don't know.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:23 PM
vanwest

Quote:
I don't blame you - but is the offer still on the table? Have the Leafs changed their minds about a trade like this? I don't know.
They may have changed their minds about this deal. Who knows? But the idea that Nonis or Tallon wouldn't take Luongo for basically free seems unlikely.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:24 PM
Babs

Quote:
I have no idea if there will be a market for Schneider - or anybody else for that matter. A lot depends on team needs, Gillis' demands, etc.

Buying out Luongo may be the only option if there are no trades available when the buyout period opens. If there's no market and a move has to happen then the GM and player are pretty much hooped - Whether I or anybody else like or agree with it.
When has there not been a market of a young starting caliber goaltender on a cheap 3 year contract? There is ALWAYS a market for starting goaltenders in the NHL. There is almost no scenario short of horrendous injury that can bring about the need for a buyout.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:27 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
There is almost no scenario short of horrendous injury that can bring about the need for a buyout.
Probably not - it was only something that was thrown out there by the Sportsnet crew as they were signing off and it sounded like things had really changed on the Luongo front.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:36 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Buyout Luongo? Not sure if serious... I think MG would rather take Bozak + Kadri + a 2nd (as rumoured) than get nothing in return.

Or trade him to one of the rumoured teams in that Vancouver Sun interview and use the compliance buyout on which cap dump is coming back. Even that would be a better option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Oh be honest.

You'll have more than a big laugh.

I think we'll all be laughing though, still. If we do win the Cup, afterwards who even cares which one's traded?

Dream scenario. Let's make it happen boys.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:38 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Buyout Luongo? Not sure if serious...
I don't know - you'll have to ask MacLean and Kypreos as they're the ones who brought it up.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:40 PM
blueNwhite89

Quote:
Lurking Leafs fan here.. I would have to assume that Kadri's emergence early on has (thankfully) lowered any chances of him being dealt. I also feel that Nonis will stick to the Reimer/Scrivens tandem for the time being. Scrivens has looked terrible, but Reimer has been solid so far.

Last edited by blueNwhite89: 01-31-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old
01-31-2013, 03:41 PM
thepuckmonster
professional winner

Quote:
I don't know - you'll have to ask MacLean and Kypreos as they're the ones who brought it up.
There's your problem.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:43 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
There's your problem.
Macleans knows PEI..and Kypreos did too much of this

Old
01-31-2013, 03:44 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Macleans knows PEI..and Kypreos did too much of this
The same reason he says Kessel will be traded.....screws are loose.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:45 PM
Proto

This is so many kinds of dumb. It's like the Fan 590 asking if the Leafs were going to buy out Phaneuf. It's just someone trying to grab ratings.

Mike Gillis would trade Schneider and keep Luongo before he'd buy Luongo out. You can be sure of that.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:49 PM
thom

Kyprious is a guy that I respected but when he went on air about Patrick Roy's family problems sometime back that when I turned him of.He's a hypocrite he won't attack friends of his but he will others

Old
01-31-2013, 03:55 PM
opendoor

Gillis would waive Luongo before he'd buy him out; in fact, he'd have to due to the buyout rules.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:59 PM
kanuck87

There is zero chance that Luongo gets bought out. Zero. If a GM in need of a goaltending won't even give us a 6th round pick for him (not that we'd take it), then he should be fired.

Closed Thread