Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Third Periods...

Old
03-13-2013, 06:45 AM
bruinsfan001

vCash: 500
Third Periods...

Need to improve for the Bruins to have success. They can't afford to be continually throwing away leads in the third period, or in general for that matter. Not only is it a waste of energy after gaining leads, but its also a bad habit that you certainly don't want to form going into the playoffs.

bruinsfan001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:32 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
The Bruins have forever relied too much on their goalies bailing them out...now that Thomas is gone, we don't have that as a given. Rask and Dobby are fine, but they may not be able to come up big basically every single time like Thomas, but he was a two time Vezina winner.

Bruins remind me of a fat, lazy, overly compensated team many nights this year. There young guys are multi-millionaires, set up for life at a very young age and some vets seem in cruise control with their wallets weighing them down.

The Krejci line has been an embarassment effort wise lately. I am maybe their biggest fan as well...but they have been flat out dogs...out of shape? Financially comfortable? I don't know..Horton is playing like he has a lifetime deal and is a UFA .... I've been a huge proponent of resigning him, but may have to reconsider. Lucic is not playing close to a 4mil per year guy right now, nevermind a 6 mil per. Krejci has his moments, but I think his linemates are a big reason for his struggles.

The McQuaid-Ference pair is abyssmal. Not sure Why Aaron Johnson isn't given some time...Maybe Torey Krug as well.

The third line has been useless 5 on 5 most nights, and now without Kelly they are not going to get any better IMO...

Fourth line is back to being who they are....That's good to see...

And Bergeron...man, I am a harsh critic when it comes to him, but he is beastmode right now. Not sure I have ever seen him play better...too bad forwards 4-9 can't emmulate him. He must be disgusted at what he sees.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:43 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Saw the stat last night that the Bruins had only allowed 12 3rd period goals (or something like that) which was good for first in the NHL.... so can it really be that bad?

That said, blowing two significant leads in the third period in the last couple of weeks is disheartening, but what's that a function of? The lack of a Mark Recchi type to keep folks from getting too low, or the Bruins propensity to get a lead and sit on it (or perhaps a combination of the two?)

Agree with Whammer in part too, that KHL line is dogging it, living up the moniker. In Horton's regard though he at least somewhat has an excuse... he lost half a season to a concussion last season and might take longer then many would like to get back in the habit. Others get leeway for extended stints of uselessness when they just miss an offseason and part of training camp for hip surgery, not sure why Horton wouldn't merit the same consideration after missing half a year to something we've seen other players take a year or two to come back from?

Right now no one on that line is earning their keep.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:02 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
The Bruins have forever relied too much on their goalies bailing them out...now that Thomas is gone, we don't have that as a given. Rask and Dobby are fine, but they may not be able to come up big basically every single time like Thomas, but he was a two time Vezina winner.

Bruins remind me of a fat, lazy, overly compensated team many nights this year. There young guys are multi-millionaires, set up for life at a very young age and some vets seem in cruise control with their wallets weighing them down.

The Krejci line has been an embarassment effort wise lately. I am maybe their biggest fan as well...but they have been flat out dogs...out of shape? Financially comfortable? I don't know..Horton is playing like he has a lifetime deal and is a UFA .... I've been a huge proponent of resigning him, but may have to reconsider. Lucic is not playing close to a 4mil per year guy right now, nevermind a 6 mil per. Krejci has his moments, but I think his linemates are a big reason for his struggles.

The McQuaid-Ference pair is abyssmal. Not sure Why Aaron Johnson isn't given some time...Maybe Torey Krug as well.

The third line has been useless 5 on 5 most nights, and now without Kelly they are not going to get any better IMO...

And Bergeron...man, I am a harsh critic when it comes to him, but he is beastmode right now. Not sure I have ever seen him play better...too bad forwards 4-9 can't emmulate him. He must be disgusted at what he sees.
I always found it amusing that everyone here assumed that it was the system that made Thomas look good instead of the other way around. Oops. Looks like he was a bigger piece of that puzzle than some gave him credit for.

In terms of the rest of your post, I agree with you that the 3rd line is junk right now, even if Kelly didn't get hurt. The Krejci line isn't even trying right now. Just going through the motions and taking a steaming dump on the ice most nights. Just a terrible lack of effort. Tough to watch since they get so much TOI and PP TOI. They've done nothing to warrant it.

The real problem is on the back end, IMO, though. Chara has been abysmal this year (no physical play, getting knocked off the puck easily, turning over the puck constantly). His level of play has dropped considerably from where it was the last few years. Hopefully it's an injury that they're hiding, otherwise this team is in trouble. As for the rest of them, Ference is just killing this team. Out of position constantly, pinching when he shouldn't, turning over the puck in his own end, etc. Boychuk and McQuaid's play seems to have dipped or at best plateaued. So out of the d, the only guys playing somewhat consistently are Seidnberg and Hamilton. Pretty sad to think this is supposed to be a strength of the team.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:02 AM
Esquire

Not to plie on Lucic, but 1 goal in last 13 games and 3 total shots on net in last 5. This is unacceptable from a $4 million player.

Horton just doesn't seem right to me. He glides around and shows flashes at times but there is no real net front presence from him. I am just not sure we are seeing him at full strength yet.

Esquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:07 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esquire View Post
Not to plie on Lucic, but 1 goal in last 13 games and 3 total shots on net in last 5. This is unacceptable from a $4 million player.

Horton just doesn't seem right to me. He glides around and shows flashes at times but there is no real net front presence from him. I am just not sure we are seeing him at full strength yet.
6 mill next year right?

Lucic still changes the game when he's on the ice but 1 goal in his last 13 is abysmal

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:08 AM
WBC8

Should we give Horton the same latitude we gave Savard and Bergeron?

Old
03-13-2013, 08:08 AM
bruinmann77

They let another lead slip because they did not attack enough again. Lucic and more Horton have dissapeared. Not to keen about hearing the excuse it was back to back games from some that why they Role 4 lines.

bruinmann77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:11 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Should we give Horton the same latitude we gave Savard and Bergeron?
I don't think so, his PCS weren't reportedly nearly as bad as either of those two (hell savard still feels like ****) and after both those guys and what the organization has learned, he either should be ready to go on the ice or off the ice getting better.

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:17 AM
Gator Mike

...or, we could all just chill out and realize that the B's were playing their third game in four nights in three different cities, and were in the 2nd night of a back-to-back on the road against two good teams in their buildings.

Gator Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
I don't think so, his PCS weren't reportedly nearly as bad as either of those two (hell savard still feels like ****) and after both those guys and what the organization has learned, he either should be ready to go on the ice or off the ice getting better.
Concussions tend to affect offensive output. Taking an extra millisecond even to make that play can throw the whole thing off PCS or not. Horton is a guy that in the first half of last season was on pace to put up more points then any other Bruin forward.

My concern is whether or not to resign him. Will you get a player of his calibre on the open market for less then 5 mill per? Not likely. Can this top 6 afford to be without him? Not in my opinion.

If anything, maybe this lack of production this year is a good thing... might resign cheaper or on a 1 year prove it like contract. They call me Mr. Optimistic.

Old
03-13-2013, 08:19 AM
Andrew83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Mike View Post
...or, we could all just chill out and realize that the B's were playing their third game in four nights in three different cities, and were in the 2nd night of a back-to-back on the road against two good teams in their buildings.
Well said. I'm not too worried about a 7 game series against Pittsburgh assuming we don't have bad injuries and Chia adds a couple of people.

Andrew83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:31 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:

Gold star post

Thomas did bail them out quite a bit. People say he was the beneficiary of the Clode system, but it worked both ways. He was good for letting in a soft goal from time to time due to being out of position, but he'd make saves that should not have been made which enabled the defensemen to take more chances and jump up into the play.

I don't think it's a financial thing with that line, but there's definitely sue complacency. maybe it's their record? Maybe it's reading too many of their own headlines? I do think Horton has to go after this year, especially if he's invisible/injured during the playoffs.

I think they need to trade for a defenseman and bump Ference/McQuaid to the press box. I'd walk from Ference after the year. Not sure Johnson is the answer.

I think they use this time to evaluate what they have with Caron, then give Soderberg a shot before pulling the trigger on a 3rd line fix. Sort of just have to ride it out for now.

03-13-2013, 09:02 AM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
I always found it amusing that everyone here assumed that it was the system that made Thomas look good instead of the other way around. Oops. Looks like he was a bigger piece of that puzzle than some gave him credit for.

In terms of the rest of your post, I agree with you that the 3rd line is junk right now, even if Kelly didn't get hurt. The Krejci line isn't even trying right now. Just going through the motions and taking a steaming dump on the ice most nights. Just a terrible lack of effort. Tough to watch since they get so much TOI and PP TOI. They've done nothing to warrant it.

The real problem is on the back end, IMO, though. Chara has been abysmal this year (no physical play, getting knocked off the puck easily, turning over the puck constantly). His level of play has dropped considerably from where it was the last few years. Hopefully it's an injury that they're hiding, otherwise this team is in trouble. As for the rest of them, Ference is just killing this team. Out of position constantly, pinching when he shouldn't, turning over the puck in his own end, etc. Boychuk and McQuaid's play seems to have dipped or at best plateaued. So out of the d, the only guys playing somewhat consistently are Seidnberg and Hamilton. Pretty sad to think this is supposed to be a strength of the team.
Disagree on the bolded. Rask is top 4 in both GA & S%, and Khudobin would be top 10/top 20 (respectively) if he qualified; and the team is 4th in GA/G. (I'd have to double-check, but as of now Rask has superior numbers to what Thomas put up last season.) I think the system is still fine, even without Thomas.

The B's would be dominant if the forwards could play like they're supposed to (early in the year the Krejci line was clicking while the Bergeron line was not, and lately it's been the exact opposite ... it'd be great if both of the top lines could play well at the same time; and enough has been said about the anemic third line) and if the blueliners could play like they're supposed to.

The goalies & the "system" are the least of my worries right now.

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:09 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Tim Thomas seems to be getting his tires pumped quite a bit today on these boards. The guy was a great goalie for us, and we all know he resume, but the issue with these blown third period leads has not been about goaltending. I think we are already mythologizing Thomas to the extent where we now pretend he was infallible, when that's simply not the case. He let in a few softies too.

I think our goaltending has been more than adequate, and I thought Dobbie played his best game of the year last night. It was the team in front of him that let him down. As far as bailing people out, Dobbie probably bailed the Bruins out of being down after the second period, never mind until late in the third.

You can only expect the goaltender to stand on his head so many times before the flood gates open.

Rask also bailed the team out and allowed them to come back in the Ottawa game as well.

I'm not worried about the goalies, but I am worried about our defense and their ability to handle the puck and make plays coming out of their own end late in games, and I am also worried about our forwards' ability to finish and put a team away when we are ahead.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:10 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

I miss us being "best third period team in hockey."

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:17 AM
WBC8

The issue is not with the goalies, so to speak, but how many 2 goal leads did they blow with Thomas in net? People forget he had to go through the same exact relaxing, retreating Bruins we have seen with leads this year, but he bailed us out, with great, timely saves...Our goalies this year seem unable to hold the fort at times in the most stressful of times...

When it was 2-1 last night, did anyone think we would not give up another one? What about the Washington game when it was 3-2? I'm used to the forwards and defense taking periods off, but we just got spolied because Thomas was always there to bail them out. Didn't he lose like 1 game in 70+ or something with a 2+ goals lead?

The other 18 got into some bad habits IMO and relied on goaltending too much...

Not fair to Tuuk and Dobby...they deserve a better effort.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:20 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg4167 View Post
Tim Thomas seems to be getting his tires pumped quite a bit today on these boards. The guy was a great goalie for us, and we all know he resume, but the issue with these blown third period leads has not been about goaltending. I think we are already mythologizing Thomas to the extent where we now pretend he was infallible, when that's simply not the case. He let in a few softies too.

I think our goaltending has been more than adequate, and I thought Dobbie played his best game of the year last night. It was the team in front of him that let him down. As far as bailing people out, Dobbie probably bailed the Bruins out of being down after the second period, never mind until late in the third.

You can only expect the goaltender to stand on his head so many times before the flood gates open.

Rask also bailed the team out and allowed them to come back in the Ottawa game as well.

I'm not worried about the goalies, but I am worried about our defense and their ability to handle the puck and make plays coming out of their own end late in games, and I am also worried about our forwards' ability to finish and put a team away when we are ahead.
How many 2 goal leads was he in nets for during his last three years that we blew? How many have we blown this year?

People think we can just fill in players and get the same results...Doesn't work like that... It didn't with Recchi, it didn't with Ryder and it isn't with Thomas.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:24 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by the overrated View Post
Disagree on the bolded. Rask is top 4 in both GA & S%, and Khudobin would be top 10/top 20 (respectively) if he qualified; and the team is 4th in GA/G. (I'd have to double-check, but as of now Rask has superior numbers to what Thomas put up last season.) I think the system is still fine, even without Thomas.

The B's would be dominant if the forwards could play like they're supposed to (early in the year the Krejci line was clicking while the Bergeron line was not, and lately it's been the exact opposite ... it'd be great if both of the top lines could play well at the same time; and enough has been said about the anemic third line) and if the blueliners could play like they're supposed to.

The goalies & the "system" are the least of my worries right now.
Luongo had great numbers his SC season too, and we saw what happened. It's when you make the saves and when you come up big. We have seen goalies come up big a lot this year for us, but also about a half of dozen games where they haven't.

I also think they would be better if the other 18 players picked it up (other then the Bergy line)....the goalies would do even better.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
How many 2 goal leads was he in nets for during his last three years that we blew? How many have we blown this year?

People think we can just fill in players and get the same results...Doesn't work like that... It didn't with Recchi, it didn't with Ryder and it isn't with Thomas.

Saturday, March 17, 2012

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/recap.htm?id=2011021065
Quote:
Thomas turned aside Danny Briere as the Bruins recovered after blowing a two-goal lead to beat the Philadelphia Flyers 3-2 on Saturday.
March 11, 2011 11:05 PM
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2011/03/1...-to-islanders/
Quote:
Bruins Blow Two-Goal Lead, Lose To Islanders
Sat, Jan 8, 2011
http://nesn.com/2011/01/bruins-live-...p-in-montreal/
Quote:
Bruins Blow Late Lead, Fall to Canadiens 3-2 in Overtime for Devastating Loss in Montreal
January 8, 2010
http://www.eagletribune.com/sports/x...-to-Blackhawks
Quote:
Bruins blow 2-goal lead to Blackhawks
May 22, 2011
http://www.onlinesentinel.com/sports...011-05-21.html
Quote:
STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS: Bruins blow 3-goal lead, Lightning even series at 2
Thursday, March 1, 2012
http://bruins.nhl.com/club/recap.htm?id=2011020950
Quote:
But the story was Krejci, who had three goals in his previous 23 games and tied the game after the Bruins had blown a 2-0 lead and fallen behind 3-2.
Meh, it happened. There are more, I just went two pages deep.

Last edited by Kaoz*: 03-13-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old
03-13-2013, 09:31 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:

So are we assuming that if Tim Thomas was in net for all of the leads that we blew this year, that none of that would have happened? Maybe, I don't know...

But even if Thomas WOULD HAVE made those stops, it still doesn't mean that the fault falls on the goalies in these situations. The TEAM has not been good enough in front of them.

If anything, if you have downgraded in net (which I still don't hold to be true) but if you did, then you need to make up for that in some way. The rest of the players need to pick up the slack.

I still don't blame the goaltending for this trend.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:32 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

[QUOTE=Kaoz;61569139]
Saturday, March 17, 2012

Sat, Jan 8, 2011
Quote:
Bruins Blow Late Lead, Fall to Canadiens 3-2 in Overtime for Devastating Loss in Montreal

January 8, 2010
http://www.eagletribune.com/sports/x...-to-Blackhawks

May 22, 2011
http://www.onlinesentinel.com/sports...011-05-21.html

Thursday, March 1, 2012
http://bruins.nhl.com/club/recap.htm?id=2011020950

Meh, it happened. There are more, I just went two pages deep.
Thanks. I was much too lazy to do that research.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:35 AM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:
Luongo had great numbers his SC season too, and we saw what happened. It's when you make the saves and when you come up big. We have seen goalies come up big a lot this year for us, but also about a half of dozen games where they haven't.

I also think they would be better if the other 18 players picked it up (other then the Bergy line)....the goalies would do even better.
Your last sentence is spot on, WBC8, more-so than saying that the goalies haven't come up as big this year as in year's past.

Even Thomas at his best would have issues with the way the D is playing right now. Chara's been more shaky than I can ever remember him being, the third pairing is often a hindrance rather than a help, Boychuk has had his ups & downs, and while Hamilton has been better-than-expected, he's also shown flashes of his age & experience. Only Seidenberg is really playing stand-out hockey among the defenseman.

Give Rask & Khudobin the D that we've seen in previous seasons, and we're having fewer conversations about how they're playing poorly or failing to make the crucial save - how often are those back-breaking goals the results of a defenseman being out of position, or a bad clearing attempt, or a failure to clear the puck/clear the man out of the crease?

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:45 AM
rickizbruin

How much does the coaching staff have to do with the way the team plays with a lead ?
Against pitts. they seemed to go into a defensive mode for two solid periods. Im sure the entire team didnt just decide to go into a defensive mode. This seems to be CJ mode of operation when ever they have more than a one goal lead.. fall back and circle the wagons and wait for the onslaught....

rickizbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:45 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
[QUOTE=gg4167;61569233]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Sat, Jan 8, 2011

Thanks. I was much too lazy to do that research.
These didn't even include the ones that I remembered...

Thanks for posting.