Old
02-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJD View Post
A simple Google search can teach me all about business and the "real world"
You should google search your question about Nathan Horton's projected contract demands.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:43 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Or maybe when you grow up and move out of your parents basement and unplug you can go outside and learn about it the real way.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:22 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner st View Post
It's a 15 years old kid.
Ah. Got it thanks. Makes sense.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:25 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Yikes...15 going on 13.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:54 PM
Nose Face Killah
#EverybodyHatesUs

I wasn't aware 15 year olds were supposed to know how businesses work. I'm probably not going to learn how unless I take business electives. Only thing about business I should know are all of the players' contract demands

Old
02-14-2013, 11:37 PM
Son of Marshmont
Classless Fanboy

Quote:
I wasn't aware 15 year olds were supposed to know how businesses work. I'm probably not going to learn how unless I take business electives. Only thing about business I should know are all of the players' contract demands
Well, here's your first lesson.

You mentioned in the jersey thread that you own a Nathan Horton jersey. What did that run you?

In the Bruins' shop, the Horton jersey runs anywhere between 140.00 ad 150.00.

That's a pretty crazy amount of money to spend on a sweater. I have a sweater I wore today I got at Old Navy, maybe cost me 20 bucks.

Why the price discrepancy? They do the same damn thing, right?

Athletes are paid more than Joe Schmo out on the street because, while a zillion guys out there can do my job, there's maybe a thousand out there who can do Nate Horton's job. The need for "talented hockey player" is large because jamokes like us will pay out the nose to go to games or wear their number sweater and the supply, amount of people who are pro hockey players, is very small.

So....these guys can ask for millions because we continue to pay their salaries.

Why does Nathan Horton want more? Why does anyone want more money? To buy more things, save for vacations, college expenses, cars.....I'm getting a raise in July because I'm good at what I do andi think my agency values me. That's a normal part of business.

Nate Horton thinks he deserves a raise because he's good at what he does. That's no different in theory than me.

Class. Dismissed.

P.S. the next time you bemoan about a player asking for more money, double check to see if it's a guy who's jersey you own....because you just paid for part of his raise.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:56 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Thanks for the link, good story.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:56 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Apparently not about business and the real world though.
I don't want to defend him because he said he was a Lakers fan (come on dude you're from Boston and like the lakers) but I don't think his post is that off the mark.

If Horton wants what he has now he has to play ball. New deals for Lucic, Marchand, and Seguin will take up a lot of money, Kelly has an NTC, Peverley is too good to trade etc etc and if Horton wants a raise it might have to be found elsewhere.

If he wants continuity and for him and his wife to remain around Brittney and Milan I don't think he can expect more than a 500k raise from the Bruins. Unless he goes off in the playoffs.

If the team is prepared to make non-emotional decisions and let a guy like Ference walk, then Nate Hortons new contract isn't going to be an emotional decision. (And he isn't getting a big raise from us.)

Old
02-15-2013, 06:25 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
I don't want to defend him because he said he was a Lakers fan (come on dude you're from Boston and like the lakers) but I don't think his post is that off the mark.

If Horton wants what he has now he has to play ball. New deals for Lucic, Marchand, and Seguin will take up a lot of money, Kelly has an NTC, Peverley is too good to trade etc etc and if Horton wants a raise it might have to be found elsewhere.

If he wants continuity and for him and his wife to remain around Brittney and Milan I don't think he can expect more than a 500k raise from the Bruins. Unless he goes off in the playoffs.

If the team is prepared to make non-emotional decisions and let a guy like Ference walk, then Nate Hortons new contract isn't going to be an emotional decision. (And he isn't getting a big raise from us.)
The bolded makes me puke a little bit. Just say "I could see him taking a home town discount" and leave it at that.

Even at 4.5m he is the guy I look at as not quite being worth the dough and not a guy I sacrifice others for. Unless he can bring it consistently and his career tells me that simply wont happen.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:11 AM
WBC8

Bruins forwards have 157 hits total.... Lucic has 46 of them, and Bourque is 2nd.

That's horrible. Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci, Seguin, Peverley, Kelly and Paille all have under TEN hits... Good Lord is that brutal.

Last edited by WBC8: 02-15-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old
02-15-2013, 08:13 AM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Bruins forwards have 157 hits total.... Lucic has 46 of them, and Bourque is 2nd.

That's horrible. Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci, Seguin, Peverley, Kelly and Paille all have under TEN hits... Good Lord is that brutal.
That stat makes no sense on a single game basis, so I dont trust it one iota.

Not disagreeing they don't need to be more physical, but hit totals are so random as to be menaingless.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:18 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
That stat makes no sense on a single game basis, so I dont trust it one iota.

Not disagreeing they don't need to be more physical, but hit totals are so random as to be menaingless.
I agree to the entent that sometimes hit totals are inflated...which makes our guys totals even worse. They need to pick it up . Forecheck and hit...

Old
02-15-2013, 09:02 AM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
In pro sports the measuring stick isn't what you got, it's what you can get.

Just business.
So eloquently put

Old
02-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
I agree to the entent that sometimes hit totals are inflated...which makes our guys totals even worse. They need to pick it up . Forecheck and hit...
But they aren't inflated. I have totally disregarded hit totals after I attended a game at TD Garden in which Sobotka had three solid hits in the first period (I was watching him closely) and I saw later in the stats sheet that he was credited with NONE.

I don't know who compiles the hits stats, but it varies wildly from building to building, and whoever has done it in Boston seems to think unless it's an open-ice shake-the-rafters hit, it doesn't count.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:09 AM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
But they aren't inflated. I have totally disregarded hit totals after I attended a game at TD Garden in which Sobotka had three solid hits in the first period (I was watching him closely) and I saw later in the stats sheet that he was credited with NONE.

I don't know who compiles the hits stats, but it varies wildly from building to building, and whoever has done it in Boston seems to think unless it's an open-ice shake-the-rafters hit, it doesn't count.
MSG apparently counts a poke check as a hit Their hit stats have been astronomically high at times.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Kiss My Rask
VGHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
MSG apparently counts a poke check as a hit Their hit stats have been astronomically high at times.
Yes and I know Florida is another team that is excruciatingly bad at inflating their hit counts

Old
02-15-2013, 10:29 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

NYR and Dallas arenas are usually regarded as the easiest places to rack up hits

Old
02-15-2013, 10:32 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Other than score goals, Horton doesn't do a whole lot. Granted, you need to score goals to win hockey games and he's had some big ones. As it stands right now, the Bruins have enough versatility from their other forwards including Peverley, Bergeron, Kelly and Campbell, that they can afford a few one trick ponies. Paille doesn't do a whole lot other than kill penalties, but he's very good at it.

Point being, when you have such a well rounded forward group, you can afford to carry a couple of guys who just score and don't offer much else like Seguin and Horton. If they decide to let Horton walk, they'll need to find another goal scorer. Granted, I'd like someone who is a bit younger, more productive and doesn't have a history of concussions, but that's stating the obvious. Guys like that are hard to come by.

So it all comes down to dollars with Nate and if you let him go to free agency, you run the risk that some team that is desperate for scoring over pays for him. If I'm Chiarelli, I take it to free agency and let the chips fall where they may. The last thing you want to do is extend him and then have him take another blow to the head and have to play the guessing game every season.

02-15-2013, 10:54 AM
WBC8

Bruins record with Nasty Nate in the lineup....

85-39-15

Bruins play-off record with Nasty Nate...

16-9

Bruins total record with Nasty Nate...

101-45-15

Sign him....NOW !

Old
02-15-2013, 11:10 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Bruins record with Nasty Nate in the lineup....

85-39-15

Bruins play-off record with Nasty Nate...

16-9

Bruins total record with Nasty Nate...

101-45-15

Sign him....NOW !
What if he wants 5 though Whammer?

I'm in complete agreement, get the guy inked, and I'd like to see it long term. 5x5 if you can because I think after next season the cap will go up and up and players like Horton will get more and more expensive.

With Horton that top line looks dominant. Without him it doesn't look like a top line.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:14 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
What if he wants 5 though Whammer?

I'm in complete agreement, get the guy inked, and I'd like to see it long term. 5x5 if you can because I think after next season the cap will go up and up and players like Horton will get more and more expensive.

With Horton that top line looks dominant. Without him it doesn't look like a top line.
25 mil over 5 years... fair enough for me. You make room to keep Nathan Horton, you don't worry about your 3rd and 4th lines in this case IMO...

People say 4.5 max.... well, what about 5, and you replace Paille or Campbell with Spooner to save the difference? I do it.

Proof is in the pudding. This team is elite with him, mediocre without him...

Old
02-15-2013, 11:22 AM
patty59

Quote:
25 mil over 5 years... fair enough for me. You make room to keep Nathan Horton, you don't worry about your 3rd and 4th lines in this case IMO...

People say 4.5 max.... well, what about 5, and you replace Paille or Campbell with Spooner to save the difference? I do it.

Proof is in the pudding. This team is elite with him, mediocre without him...
Exactly, you don't let a first liner walk to keep the 4th line together.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:30 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Exactly, you don't let a first liner walk to keep the 4th line together.
I love our 4th line too but I can't be the only one who remember the Knuble-Aucoin-Ward line totally dominatiing them...Dominated them to the point of having to scratch #22 for 2 games...They were great against the softies from VAN though...

Closed Thread