Old
02-15-2013, 01:15 PM
Kiss My Rask
VGHC

vCash: 500
Free agent list for this off season:
http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/

The top wingers available are Perry, Iginla, Semin, Alfredsson, Jagr, Selanne

Quite a few old men at the top of the list. I'd rather resign Horton than sign one of them. Unless by a miracle perry wants to come here for what he makes now lol.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:14 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segnasty19 View Post
Free agent list for this off season:
http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/

The top wingers available are Perry, Iginla, Semin, Alfredsson, Jagr, Selanne

Quite a few old men at the top of the list. I'd rather resign Horton than sign one of them. Unless by a miracle perry wants to come here for what he makes now lol.
Ya, you're not going to land a stud in free agency these days. Non-contenders are dealing their expiring stars before they allow them to walk and get nothing. If you want to land a legit, top line scorer, you need to trade for one like the Leafs did with Kessel and the Rangers did with Nash. Otherwise, you need to draft and extend them like the Penguins have. The legit stars rarely hit UFA.

I think a lot of it has to do with what Horton wants as well. He could play it safe and extend now for a shorter deal and similar money to what he's making now, let's say 3 years @ $12.5M. He could also wait it out and attempt to land something closer to $25 over 5. Given the recent injury history, there's a lot of risk for the Bruins in extending him and a lot of Risk for Nate to play his hand out to the end.

I do agree that his absence creates a gaping hole in the top 6. I'm of the opinion that if you gut the bottom 6 to become top heavy, you go for broke and trade crazy picks for a star.

I don't think they chose that option, given PC's conservatism.

All this is moot if Spooner, Knight or Caron flip the NHL switch because then someone becomes expendable and you move them out for the ELC.

02-15-2013, 02:22 PM
chuckdobbins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
The guys like a Kelly or Peverley are more often then not making more then 3 mill per year.

Campbell would probably be easier to replace, but you're not likely to save much getting a player of the same caliber on the open market.

Then there's the issue of devil you know vs. devil you don't.
So very true. We already know what type of role Horton will play in Boston, and where his production (roughly) will end up each year.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:25 PM
smithformeragent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
So very true. We already know what type of role Horton will play in Boston, and where his production (roughly) will end up each year.
Exactly. It's easy to watch hilight shows and read box scores and drool over the players you don't have, but go check out other team's boards and you'll see topics ripping guys for inconsistency and playoff no-shows just like you see here.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:29 PM
hoss75

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
You guys would really keep Campbell at 1.6 mil, instead of Spooner at 800k, and Horton at 4.8 say?
If it's as simple as that and everything else is accounted for as far as filling the roster.... I'd send Campbell packing. If Horton's desire for a large raise means downgrading in multiple spots, I'd be reluctant as the current structure is designed to play deep and be strong defensively.
But I agree with others that we're ultimately going to lose someone that fan's like after this season is over, we can't lose Borque cause he gets paid the least.

Last edited by hoss75: 02-15-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old
02-15-2013, 02:54 PM
smithformeragent

IMO, Bourque being under contract for next season at a very low cap hit helps explain why they're sticking with him so much. If he can find the scoring touch at the NHL level then maybe he's a 15-20 goal scorer next year in a second line role and you slide Caron or Spooner in on the 3rd line and let Nate walk.

They could always pull a repeat of 2009/10 where they moved Kessel and didn't really replace him. They can use the regular season to let Spooner/Caron/Knight/Bourque have a shot to develop and, if needed, dip into Savard's LTIR at the deadline and make a move.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:01 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
IMO, Bourque being under contract for next season at a very low cap hit helps explain why they're sticking with him so much. If he can find the scoring touch at the NHL level then maybe he's a 15-20 goal scorer next year in a second line role and you slide Caron or Spooner in on the 3rd line and let Nate walk.

They could always pull a repeat of 2009/10 where they moved Kessel and didn't really replace him. They can use the regular season to let Spooner/Caron/Knight/Bourque have a shot to develop and, if needed, dip into Savard's LTIR at the deadline and make a move.
This is an accurate and good post.

You let him walk to pay for/compensate for the overpayment and or raises to Seguin, Krejci, Marchand, Ference, Boychuk, Campbell, Thornton, Kelly and development of Spooner or Caron.

I'd probably get rid of Campbell and let Ference walk before losing Horton IMO.

The thing which stinks about Horton is I am 90% certain he'll come down to the wire like Chris Kelly did and then get a full NTC to keep his cap number from being outrageous. And I don't know if 4 or 5 years of Horton with a full NTC is a good thing.

I personally wish we paid Kelly a little more to have no NTC/

Old
02-15-2013, 03:20 PM
smithformeragent

This topic and the "solving the cap issues" thread go hand in hand. If you want to scrape together the coin to re-up Nate, it can be done.

The options:

Trade Peverley
Trade Kelly
Trade Paille
Trade Rasks's rights
Buy out Thornton
Let Ference walk and replace him with a minimum contract

If I'm Horton, and I look and see that Lucic is getting $6M a year starting next year, then there's no way I'm taking $5M.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:26 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
This topic and the "solving the cap issues" thread go hand in hand. If you want to scrape together the coin to re-up Nate, it can be done.

The options:

Trade Peverley
Trade Kelly
Trade Paille
Trade Rasks's rights
Buy out Thornton

If I'm Horton, and I look and see that Lucic is getting $6M a year starting next year, then there's no way I'm taking $5M.
There are far far more options then that.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:26 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:

The options:

Trade Peverley
Trade Kelly
Trade Paille
Trade Rasks's rights
Buy out Thornton

Do you think Horton is more valuable than Lucic? Because I sure dont.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:28 PM
Baddkarma

Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
Quote:

The options:

Trade Peverley
Trade Kelly
Trade Paille
Trade Rasks's rights
Buy out Thornton

Looch at six is a big stretch and Horton at 5 is an even bigger reach. If Horton wants more than 4.5 the Bruins would have to seriously think about what to do with him imho.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:41 PM
hoss75

Quote:
Why would he compare himself to Lucic. Lucic got an (arugably) inflated salary before the cap was set to go down. Horton has to look at what Marchand got and hope to get that.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Ratty

I give Horton a three year deal at his current rate of pay. He hasn't earned a raise, albeit through no fault of him. Of course, market forces may elevate his contract upward. The rest of the season is important to Nate. He still has to show that the two serious concussions he suffered will not affect him long term, and that he can prove he's once again capable of producing a 30 goal season.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:55 PM
RedeyeRocketeer

Still can't believe Looch got the full 6. I think Chia thought that was going to get rolled back a lot.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:59 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Horton is more talented offensively and likely always will be. Looch is more physical of the two obviously.

I honestly think Looch benefits more from playing with Horton then vice versa though... and I love Lucic, wouldn't trade him.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:09 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Horton is more talented offensively and likely always will be. Looch is more physical of the two obviously.

I honestly think Looch benefits more from playing with Horton then vice versa though... and I love Lucic, wouldn't trade him.
I think sometimes people forget how highly skilled Nasty Nate is... he had three seasons over 30 assists to go along with his goals...

Old
02-15-2013, 04:09 PM
smithformeragent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Nope, but maybe Horton's agent does. Maybe other teams that are starved for scoring do.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:10 PM
774EVER
DR. SILLYPANTS...

I love Nate, but there is no way in hell I extend him until I see his completed body of work this season.

IMO if the Bruins want to sign him, they will. All indication is that he loves Boston and the bromance with Lucic is strong.

Just too risky.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:33 PM
C77

Chiarelli said that he had tried to acquire Horton for two years before he actually was able to. I think that a deal will get done if Horton stays healthy and isn't looking for a big raise.

The Bruins seem to be a much better team with him on the ice and the package he brings is hard to find....He skates very well for a big man, he's got good hands, he can shoot or pass, and he's pretty good on the boards. Plus he seems pretty good defensively...although I'm certainly not an expert on that.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:00 PM
the overrated
wicked overrated

I think it'll be tough for someone signed when Horton signs to compare themselves to when Lucic signed, for the same reason that it's unrealistic for people (currently) to compare Bergeron's salary to Krejci's ... it's all about when the deal was signed.

If Horton's agent tries to get Lucic's salary, all it would take is for Chiarelli to point out how the cap had dropped and thus it would be more about percentage vs percentage rather than dollar vs dollar. If Horton/his agent was still bent on matching the dollar amount, well, it'd be time to wish him well in his future endeavors.

So, long story short: Horton at $5m is something that I'm more than comfortable with. Him at a half-a-million or full-million more? Not so much.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Spooner st

Cant wait to see how it's gone end... all this 5x5M, 6M per, thats crazy talk, i'm not a fan nor a believer.

I hope if the FO want to sign him it will be a 1 year and see how it goes first, no need to take risks now.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:50 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner st View Post
Cant wait to see how it's gone end... all this 5x5M, 6M per, thats crazy talk, i'm not a fan nor a believer.

I hope if the FO want to sign him it will be a 1 year and see how it goes first, no need to take risks now.
2 years removed from a cup win with the same core intact and a perennial Norris contender at the tail end of his career...

The risk is not resigning the guy who went clutch and finally got this team over the game 7 hump, a couple of times.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Spooner st

Quote:
2 years removed from a cup win with the same core intact and a perennial Norris contender at the tail end of his career...

The risk is not resigning the guy who went clutch and finally got this team over the game 7 hump, a couple of times.
I woud play it safe, after the playoffs give him 1 year contract, see how it goes, his play on the ice, his health,the cap, the market...

Old
02-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner st View Post
I woud play it safe, after the playoffs give him 1 year contract, see how it goes, his play on the ice, his health,the cap, the market...
You would try... he doesn't have to settle for a 1 year deal. He'd have to really love the Bruins to do that, there are many many teams who'd give him multiple years for more money on the open market.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:31 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
25 mil over 5 years... fair enough for me. You make room to keep Nathan Horton, you don't worry about your 3rd and 4th lines in this case IMO...

People say 4.5 max.... well, what about 5, and you replace Paille or Campbell with Spooner to save the difference? I do it.

Proof is in the pudding. This team is elite with him, mediocre without him...
I'm not confident enough that Horton is the same player we're use to anymore. Since last years concussion he's lost all of his physical edge. He's not the same player at least in my eyes anymore. I sure as **** don't want him getting a 5 year deal after a severe concussion that has changed the style of hockey he plays. Maybe if he gets more comfortable later in the year and starts playing like the old Nasty I'd get on board but at this point I'd prefer they look for other options.

Closed Thread