HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Is the NHL on TSN better than HNIC today?

View Poll Results: Who is better with NHL broadcasts?
CBC 50 43.10%
TSN 66 56.90%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-30-2013, 05:58 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
At this point in time, I think HNIC is just damn lucky they have so much history behind them otherwise TSN would easily be the most preferred. I like HNIC's intermission shows, minus all the terrible hacks (Stock, Milbury, Healy...). HNIC needs a makeover in terms of personnel.

PG Canuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:19 PM
serge2k

vCash: 500
I'm gonna with HNIC until I get a clock when I watch TSN.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:17 PM
Count Von Grabo*

TSN.

HNIC has gone down hill the last few years.

It was perfect 10 years ago.

Count Von Grabo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:19 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
No, I'm a big fan of HNIC.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." — -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:28 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
TSN has Cuthbert. And the rest is pure garbage. Their intermission shows. They ****in employ guys like Keith Jones.

I'm guessing its the young kids that like TSN. They're unoriginal as well.

CBC's the best. AINEC

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:46 PM
Scottkmlps

CBC overall, but still haven't figured out why they got rid of Cuthbert.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:48 PM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
TSN has Cuthbert. And the rest is pure garbage. Their intermission shows. They ****in employ guys like Keith Jones.

I'm guessing its the young kids that like TSN. They're unoriginal as well.

CBC's the best. AINEC
CBC employs PJ Stock, Mike Milbury, Kevin Weekes and Chris Lee.

Your argument is invalid.

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:54 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

HNIC.

TSN is terrible at capturing certain things about the game. The lead up, anthems (it's not just the anthems, but seeing the crowd and getting a feel for the spirit of hockey), terrible intermission segments. They just do not present a game of hockey the way I want it presented.

They may have better analysts, but their all cookie cutter and really don't add much over the other. While CBC's may not be as good, they're colourful and different. It's entertaining. No, the Quiz does not entertain me.

tp71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:04 PM
Noob616

This one's hard to say. I'd say probably TSN but it's quite close. There's some aspects of both that I really like, CBC does a better job with the montages leading up to the games, and the "magic". That being said, CBC doesn't innovate, they're stuck in a bygone era. Bob Cole, Don Cherry, all relics of a bygone age, and keeping them around for nostalgia's sake keeps someone new from getting notoriety. It's hard to say, TSN's a lot cleaner, and a lot more professional, but CBC does capture that feeling of the crowd's passion better IMO.

I think I'd give the edge to TSN because there's nobody that I dislike as much as Cherry, Cole, Stock, Hrudy, Milbury, Neale, I feel like CBC has gotten a bit complacent and they're afraid to change anything. I can't think of anyone on TSN who I find as annoying as those guys, I'm not a big Ray Ferraro fan but he's not Harry Neale. I guess I'll put it like this: to watch a random NHL game, I'd rather TSN, but if it's a playoff game involving a Canadian team, CBC AINEC.

EDIT: I also think HNIC has a bit of an unfair advantage. My perception of CBC having more of the magic probably has more to do with them getting the Saturday night Leafs vs. Canadiens games and the 1st pick of the playoff series to broadcast. I certainly didn't find TSN's broadcasts lacking emotion in 2010 when Montreal beat Washington in 7.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:07 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

You gotta like the production value/quality and the women you get to look at on TSN, but when it comes to hockey broadcasts I prefer the more classic/traditional writing and production of HNIC. No other network has a front man desk guy to compare with Ron MacLean either, imo, and that's a decently big part of it for me. Having said all that, I miss the original theme song (or even the "updated" ones like '93 or '97). A lot. I guess I basically don't enjoy the more "modern"/"slick", widely palatable, revenue maximizing "taste" of TSN as much as that of HNIC.

Enjoy the bonus '93 season opener footage between TOR/CHI in there. Belfour vs Potvin. Them were the days.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:20 AM
CanucksRollin
Tweet@CanucksOnARoll

vCash: 462
I like CBC and think of it, it benefits people with low channels. Overall they don't do stupid stuff like putting that goal in the playoffs against Vancouver a couple nights ago against LA.

EDIT: Also you guys above reminded me, TSN has glitches with there clocks and scores and stuff.

CanucksRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:53 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
I mean, when TSN's announcers are calling 29 year old andre benoit another one of the sens young kids on defense, i'm not sure how it's possible to vote for them.

And hotstove is still the best real discussion of important hockey issues on TV, broadcast, cable, or otherwise.

TSN has a lot of talent. Good talent. None of them are seen for the 60 minutes the game is on.

01-31-2013, 05:20 AM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
TSN play-by-play on HNiC would be pretty awesome.
That's how it used to be. CBC released Chris Cuthbert in 2005 due to budget issues. Having Cuthbert on Hockey Night in Canada was amazing, and it was an enormous mistake for them to let him go.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2005/...ert050222.html

Quote:
CBC's Cuthbert released by network
Last Updated: Friday, June 10, 2005 | 2:30 PM ET
CBC Sports

With no hockey in sight, CBC terminated the contract of sports commentator Chris Cuthbert on Tuesday.

The news of Cuthbert leaving the network came as a shock to staffers in the TV Sports department.

Cuthbert, a CBC employee for 21 years, has been one of the network's top sports commentators, known for his steady delivery and versatility.

In a meeting called on Tuesday afternoon, CBC executives said there just wasn't enough work for Cuthbert, stemming from last week's cancellation of the NHL season.

"It's a regrettable decision, " said Nancy Lee, executive director of CBC Sports. "Chris has an extremely good reputation and he's a consummate professional. But it's important to remember that 30 people have been affected by hockey."

Cuthbert's agent, Elliott Kerr, told the Globe and Mail the decision was illogical.

"I'm in complete shock," Kerr said. "I don't understand. It's going to take a day to sink in.

"To me, it's so illogical. Right now, we can't make any sense of it. Certainly, because of no hockey, cuts are required to be made. But this tack makes no sense at all."

Along with his play-by-play duties with Hockey Night in Canada, Cuthbert was the main voice of the CFL on CBC and covered figure skating.

He received glowing reviews for his work as the rowing and canoe/kayak commentator at the 2004 Olympic Games. He also called the controversial figure skating events revolving around Jamie Sale and David Pelletier at the 2002 Winter Olympic Games.

Cuthbert jumped to the forefront of sports television with his work during a NHL playoff game in New Jersey in 1988.

A power failure in Montreal forced Hockey Night in Canada to switch to a Washington vs. New Jersey game. Cuthbert was supposed to supply updates to the national broadcast but when the focus shifted, he became host, analyst, commentator and runner.

Cuthbert was nominated for a Gemini Award for that program.

He won a Gemini in 1999 for Best Sports Broadcaster for his call of the 1998 Grey Cup in Winnipeg.
CBC's presentation is vastly superior to TSN's. I do wish they would have retained Cuthbert, though.

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 01-31-2013 at 05:26 AM.
JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote