HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pittsburgh Needs Two Top Six Wingers

Old
01-27-2013, 08:05 PM
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior

vCash: 1441
Pittsburgh Needs Two Top Six Wingers

It's come to the point this season where almost all Pens fans now realize that their #1 weakness is the lack of top 6 wingers to play with Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. Right now their lineup looks a lot like this:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Kennedy-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Glass
Tangradi-Vitale-Adams

There are two notable flaws in the top 6, first being the evident problem on Malkin's line. TK is a great 3rd liner and has great chemistry with Sutter, but just isn't the complementary winger like Kunitz was last year on that line. Now, the average fan would just suggest to move Kunitz back to Malkin's line, which would be the logicial thing to do. Problem is, we aren't Dan Byslma . Seriously though, if Kunitz was moved to Malkin's line Crosby would have a gaping hole on the wing, and neither TK nor Tangradi nor a raw Beau Bennett can fill. That's where Needed Winger #1 comes in.

Needed Winger #1 would probably be a rental winger with an expiring contract, but someone that is a notch above complementary, an Iginla/Perry/Ryder/Semin type of player. The deal would probably happen at the trade deadline, so sellers could be parted away from contenders. A deal that I could see happening is Despres/Morrow/Pouliot + Blueger + TK/Tangradi + 1st for a legitimate 1st line player.

If Needed Winger #1 is acquired, our lines would look like this:

#1-Crosby-Dupuis
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
TK/Tangradi-Sutter-Cooke
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Lineup looks much better, but there are some flaws. First of all, some people may say that Dupuis isn't a legitimate top 6 forward, which is certainly plausible. I think that a TK-Sutter-Dupuis line would be great, they would win almost every race to the puck and control the possession in the opponent's end, giving us chances and our top 6 a rest. The other possible flaw is the play of Chris Kunitz this season. He looked pretty bad in the first 4 games, and was awful tonight against Ottawa. I think that a line switch may increase his composure, but I'm not sure if it's just a cold streak or a decline in play. Those two factors incorporated, the Pens will have to get Needed Winger #2.

Needed Winger #2 has a couple of different sections, but all of the sections share the same motive for coming to Pittsburgh. Winger #2 is not an elite forward that could be the star of a line, but is more of a complementary winger. There are young wingers who's stats have decreased (Chris Stewart, Devin Setoguchi, Nikolai Kulemin). At the trade deadline, these players may command something like a first round pick or a top 6 winger depending on where the team stands in the standings.
If the Pens wanted to go with a safer player I could see them going for a guy who has more consistent production (Ryane Clowe, Blake Wheeler, Dany Heatley) but would risk overpayment.
The last scenario would be a winger that is not being utilized fully by the team or is frustrated with the team itself (guys like Matt D'Agostini, Nino Niederreiter, and Magnus Pääjärvi).

We would obviously have to pay the most for Winger #1, then #2B, #2A, and lastly #2C. Lots of Pens fans want to see different scenarios take place, and mine would look like this:

(both trades take place at deadline)

For Winger #1:

Jarome Iginla

Simon Despres
Eric Tangradi
Theodor Blueger
2013 1st
2014 2nd

Then for Winger #2:

Ryane Clowe
Douglas Murray

Brooks Orpik

or

Olli Maatta
Dustin Jeffrey
2013 2nd

Nikolai Kulemin

Would make the Pens lineup look like:

Kunitz/Clowe-Crosby-Iginla
Kulemin/Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Kennedy-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Interesting.

Everyone would be included in trade discussion except for Crosby, Malkin, Sutter, Neal, Letang, and Fleury. Let the offers commence.

(Credit to http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1329701 for help)

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:07 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

vCash: 500
Oh god no....

Jules Winnfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:08 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422

Trade 1 is way too much to give up for an aging UFA.
Trade 2 is lopsided in favor of the Penguins...an argument can be made that Murray is better than Orpik at this point.
Trade 3 is way too much to give up for Kulemin.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:09 PM
66-29-33

Crosby/Malkin not tradable? then good luck getting wingers for Crosby/Malkin.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:09 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Trade 2 is lopsided in favor of the Penguins...an argument can be made that Murray is better than Orpik at this point.
Agree with all your thoughts, except Murray is better than Orpik.

Last edited by OCPenguin: 01-27-2013 at 08:18 PM.
OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:12 PM
bambamcam4ever

Quote:
I've watched Murray play plenty of times and even as badly as Orpik played last year, I would easily choose him. Murray's skating is horrendous at this point and provides absolutely no offense.

bambamcam4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:16 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamcam4ever View Post
I've watched Murray play plenty of times and even as badly as Orpik played last year, I would easily choose him. Murray's skating ability is horrendous at this point and provides absolutely no offense.
There is some seriously weird infatuation with Murray going on on the Pens board. It is baffling.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:18 PM
marty111

Leafs would likely decline. If Pittsburgh wants Kulemin they have to be willing to trade Sutter.

I'd also add if you guys want to get Iginla you would have to offer up less but more quality.

marty111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:18 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
I've watched Murray play plenty of times and even as badly as Orpik played last year, I would easily choose him. Murray's skating is horrendous at this point and provides absolutely no offense.
Orpik doesn't provide much offense either.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:19 PM
bambamcam4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
There is some seriously weird infatuation with Murray going on on the Pens board. It is baffling.
Most people probably just haven't seen him play. They see that he is big and figure that he must be some great defensive defenseman while he actually isn't really that good at anything other than hitting when he is fortuitous enough to actually catch up to his target. I get all the Sharks games on local broadcasts and I do not want this guy at all.

bambamcam4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:19 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:

It may be more than he is worth but someone would have to overpay to get a guy we have no desire to trade.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:24 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Oh god no....
x2.

All of those trades are atrocious. Actually, there is no word bad enough to describe how bad those bad trade ideas are.

Bad.

Bad.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:25 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

How many times does Pittsburgh need to be told that Edmonton is full of prospect D and they don't need anymore and Magnus Pääjärvi is not being traded.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Most people probably just haven't seen him play. They see that he is big and figure that he must be some great defensive defenseman while he actually isn't really that good at anything other than hitting when he is fortuitous enough to actually catch up to his target. I get all the Sharks games on local broadcasts and I do not want this guy at all.
Me neither. It`s like either get a real upgrade in the top4 D or let the young ones play. Other than Mrs. Ex-Tiger Woods nothing good can possibly come to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
Leafs would likely decline. If Pittsburgh wants Kulemin they have to be willing to trade Sutter.
No, thanks.

Old
hlaverty06

The sharks one is pretty horribad

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
How many times does Pittsburgh need to be told that Edmonton is full of prospect D and they don't need anymore and Magnus Pääjärvi is not being traded.
This is literally the first time the words Edmonton or Pääjärvi have come up in this thread.

edit: Pääjärvi was mentioned in the first along with half the league, excuse me. Let's make this clear...no Penguins fan wants Pääjärvi. We don't need an under-performing youngster who's the antithesis of the Bylsma system. I'd rather just keep wedging Tangradi in there than give up an asset for a guy who's likely to be a worse fit with this team. For ****'s sake, that same list has Matt D'Agostini, who is legally considered Tyler Kennedy's clone.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 01-27-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
It may be more than he is worth but someone would have to overpay to get a guy we have no desire to trade.
Would someone have to overpay? Sure, but it wouldn't be a significant overpayment. That's for certain. It'd be a slight overpayment, at the time of the trade.

From the Pens, the most I'd ever want to see Shero give up would be Tangradi + 2nd. If that's not enough, then cool...

I am patient enough to wait for Beau Bennett.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:27 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Heh? Is this a joke? Did anyone actually want Pääjärvi?

Old
Leafssss

What about a conditional 3rd for MacArthur? Becomes a 2nd if Pens win one playoff series, becomes a first if they reach the finals.

Leafssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
This is literally the first time the words Edmonton or Pääjärvi have come up in this thread.
Well, 2nd, the OP mentions Paajarvi. But yeah, that one is just a matter of time before he asks to be traded like a lot of other kids that feel they don't fit with their teams (Palmieri, Niederreiter, etc).

Old
01-27-2013, 08:28 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Pääjärvi is mentioned in OP in bold.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:29 PM
JTG

Quote:
Quote:
Instant classic

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:30 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Would someone have to overpay? Sure, but it wouldn't be a significant overpayment. That's for certain. It'd be a slight overpayment, at the time of the trade.

From the Pens, the most I'd ever want to see Shero give up would be Tangradi + 2nd. If that's not enough, then cool...

I am patient enough to wait for Beau Bennett.
You would have to give up more than Tangradi and a second for Kulemin. Tangradi has NO VALUE whatsoever. I'm not a guy that likes to overpay for talent, but lets get real.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:30 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
What about a conditional 3rd for MacArthur? Becomes a 2nd if Pens win one playoff series, becomes a first if they reach the finals.
Becomes free if Pens miss playoffs. Tank Pens Tank!

Old
01-27-2013, 08:32 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Oh God, one of two names Penguin fans hate hearing with regards to Edmonton offers.

Big fan of you putting the dots above the a's.