Pushkarev update

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Albi

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Albi
Pushkarev update

Yes, I'm still the same Kings fan who already bored you about the russian kid.
Jared keeps us updated with his posts at the Kings board (thanks once again Jared!), but I'd like to hear some more opinion (it's easy to guess he's a big fan of the kid )...I've heard his game is getting better and better...

Thanks in advance

Albi

Old
03-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

I'd compare him to a Valeri Bure that will actually go into the corners. He's a good prospect. Needs to add strength and utilize his teammates more. Very skilled. Only average size though.

Old
03-10-2005, 08:29 PM
chriss_co

As a prospect, I would love to have his rights because the kid has so much potential

whether he can take it the next level is the big question... i say let him stay another year with calgary next year and see if he can dominate the league... then see if he can make the next step at the AHL level

i know these two players aren't the same but i think the Kings would like to see Pushkarev to go through the same transition that Yakubov (with chicago) went through from the WHL and now the AHL

Old
03-11-2005, 02:14 AM
Albi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co
As a prospect, I would love to have his rights because the kid has so much potential

whether he can take it the next level is the big question... i say let him stay another year with calgary next year and see if he can dominate the league... then see if he can make the next step at the AHL level

i know these two players aren't the same but i think the Kings would like to see Pushkarev to go through the same transition that Yakubov (with chicago) went through from the WHL and now the AHL
He'll likely be in Manchester next season...

Old
03-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Pretty much no chance they put him back in Calgary as an overager. You'd have to bet on him playing for Manchester next year.

Old
03-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Phaneuf*

He scored a sick goal the other night.

Old
03-11-2005, 03:49 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Thanks all for your input. I'm real excited about him

Old
03-12-2005, 01:55 PM
chriss_co

Went to the Red Deer-Hitmen game last night

There was a brief rush in overtime where everyone nearly jumped out of their seats cuz of the moves by Pushkarev

Even tho pushkarev is scoring well (scored a nice in the slot goal last night), I just dont think he has adapted enough to the North American style game yet to warrant his upgrade to the AHL.. but thats my personal opinion.. usually i like to see players dominate at a lower level before moving up

Old
03-14-2005, 11:29 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
I just dont think he has adapted enough to the North American style game yet to warrant his upgrade to the AHL.. but thats my personal opinion.. usually i like to see players dominate at a lower level before moving up
Well he's the leading scorer of the Hitmen. Obviously Getzlaf would be 1st if he didn't have the concussion but I'd say Pushkarev doing pretty well at that level. He's ahead of Ladd in points and only has a slight games played edge. And it's not like he leaches all of his points off of Getzlaf or Ladd, he doesn't play with them for the majority of the time. He's 40th in scoring in the WHL. Pretty darn good for a rookie, 2nd in points for a rookie actually behind Roman Wick. Some might call it a dominating performance as a rookie actually.

It's pretty much (or completely) unheard of for a high regarded (2nd rounder) euro import to play as a 20 year old in the WHL. Not only would he take up one of the 20 year old slots but he would also take up an overager spot.

Old
03-15-2005, 03:09 PM
chriss_co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
Well he's the leading scorer of the Hitmen. Obviously Getzlaf would be 1st if he didn't have the concussion but I'd say Pushkarev doing pretty well at that level. He's ahead of Ladd in points and only has a slight games played edge. And it's not like he leaches all of his points off of Getzlaf or Ladd, he doesn't play with them for the majority of the time. He's 40th in scoring in the WHL. Pretty darn good for a rookie, 2nd in points for a rookie actually behind Roman Wick. Some might call it a dominating performance as a rookie actually.

It's pretty much (or completely) unheard of for a high regarded (2nd rounder) euro import to play as a 20 year old in the WHL. Not only would he take up one of the 20 year old slots but he would also take up an overager spot.
Thats the point tho.. despite being able to score alot (I expect him to score more than Ladd.... who isn't really a pointgetter guy), its what pushkarev does without the puck that concerns me

yes, the guy can score in the WHL but i think there are parts of his other game that needs to be worked upon.. would he be able to do that in the AHL? possibly.. but the problem is his point totals will decrease as well as his icetime and that may hurt his confidence level and development (especially when he still knows very little english)

but will the hitmen keep him as an overager next year? probably not.. i'll agree to that... but i just dont think he's ready yet for the AHL.. maybe he'll prove me wrong by dominating the playoffs

Old
03-15-2005, 04:45 PM
Resolute

Push is starting to come around, but he still has a major "I dont need my teammates" kick going. He's been totally flattened twice in the last three weeks trying to skate around a collection of opposing skaters where he could have easily passed to a teammate, and I suspect that is starting to alter his attitude to the point where he is starting to pick his spots, and passing more often.

He's also starting to remember the defensive side of the game, as up until about a month ago, he was ALWAYS the last man back into the defensive zone.

He's coming along. Still a lot of rough edges though.

Old
03-26-2005, 06:10 AM
Albi

The Hitmen lost game1 against the Hurricanes, Konstantin was held scoreless, but he was voted as the Game 2nd Star. I'm wondering if anybody here watched the game...

Boxscore

Old
04-13-2005, 04:23 PM
Phaneuf*

Albi, Push has been great so far in the playoffs he got the game winner last night.

Old
04-22-2005, 08:55 PM
Flamesfaithful

Calgary-Brandon-Game 6

I've posted elsewhere that I'm a huge fan of of his raw talent- and his ability to make mindblowing plays, and he seemed to get better as the season went on. That said, his last game of the season in calgary was one of the worst I've seen any Hitmen turn in. The biggest problem he's always had is making one too many moves rather than just shooting it, or making a play. The amazing plays he makes usually makes up for it though. But in the biggest game of the season when it counted most, he was stripped while doodling with the puck at least ten times. Quite often when he was attempting moves they looked slow and without effort- like he was on a pond fooling around. He had so many chances in front of the net- but I don't think made one shot while wide open. He seemed to get discouraged from this and give up in the defensive end as a result of this too. As the third period rolled around and he continued to throw away chances fans started booing him and thats the first time I've ever heard a particular Hitmen seriously booed this season... and he deserved it. On a brighter note Getzlaf, who is one of my favorite junior players was lazy almost all season, but in the playoffs has been great- and in this game threw three or four big hits to try and get his team goin. One of the only Hitmen who came to play.

Closed Thread