HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

CCHL 2012-2013 season - part III

Old
03-18-2013, 06:17 AM
Tarzan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by upinarms View Post
Having scored only 2 goals in 2 games it appears scoring is the problem.
Indeed. But I'm sure that you are aware that you need a good defence in order to control the puck in your backend and to get it out effectively, therefore creating offence! Watching the game yesterday, SF spent way too much time in their own end, struggling to get the puck out. It goes hand in hand.

Tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:41 AM
Bockwinkel

A little surprised that 3 of the 4 first round series see one team up either 2-0 or 3-0.
I thought Guerriero would steal a game for Hawkesbury.
Could Nepean be peaking at the right time ?
Colts/Braves have been tight. Could be the only series to go 6 or 7.

Bockwinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:23 AM
gusfring

Is Werthner expected back for the Jr Sens at some point? Anyone know?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:07 PM
oldnucks

Lets hear opinions on games tonight, do Ottawa or Nepean get wins?

oldnucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:39 PM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnucks View Post
Lets hear opinions on games tonight, do Ottawa or Nepean get wins?
Hawks 3 Ottawa 2: Guerriero steals one at home.
CP 4 SF 2: CP just too strong. Both goalies looked weak for SF.
Cornwall 4 Brockville 2: Cornwall will solve Pikul.
Nepean 4 Pembroke 1: PLK has given up. No scoring and no SK.

ottawafan66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:13 PM
HockeyFan67

Ottawa 5-1 Hawks done...
CP 3-2
Cornwall 5-2
Pembroke 2-1

HockeyFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:41 PM
CoasttoCoast

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

CoasttoCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:50 PM
stickhandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
PG has been a disaster as a GM this year. They will lose to PLK.
Nice prediction kreskin

stickhandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:37 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickhandle View Post
Nice prediction kreskin
1st incorrect prediction that I've seen in this board.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:10 PM
hardfacts

Congrats to Nepean Raiders....there best players were better than Kings best players...no questions asked.

Kings just didnt seem like they were on the same page in playoffs....they played some good hockey after SK left..but not so good when it counted.

hardfacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:35 AM
ORRT

CP wins tonight. Cornwall brockville turning to be quite a series. Go the distance?

ORRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:37 AM
From the slot

Disappointed to see the PLK swept, but cannot say I am surprised. I think the team did an admirable job after SK moved to the Soo, but the truth of the matter is SK's move began the transition from his tenure to whomever acquires the team next.

Scott Mohns is a good man, but SK was one of the best coaches & managers the league has ever seen. The players SK recruited, tutored and built infrasture around, plateaued after SK left. Mohns was a caretaker. Even during PLK's 7 game win streak to end the reguar season, they were relying too heavily on a hot goaltender to carry them, which obviously could not be sustained.

Nepean is full marks for their win.

In Pembroke, the story becomes very interesting. Who buys the team ? What does the management/coaching structure look like ? How many players return ? Many players are eligible, but things change ..

Rumors in Pembroke are rampant. Have heard everything from Shaun Van Allen and some ex-Senators buying the team, to a wealthy Arnprior businessman, to even Theo Fleury. Anyone have a grain of salt (?), meaning, these are all rumours, and the situation probably won't be formally addressed until the Greyhounds are eliminated from the OHL playoffs.

In closing, whoever acquires the team, this much is clear: SK will be missed, as he raised the profile of the league and the town of Pembroke. The new owner & management team will inherit a very passionate fanbase, and an awesome place to play for teenagers looking to continue their hockey.

Good luck to all remaining teams in the CCHL.

From the slot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:42 AM
hongkongphoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardfacts View Post
Congrats to Nepean Raiders....there best players were better than Kings best players...no questions asked.

Kings just didnt seem like they were on the same page in playoffs....they played some good hockey after SK left..but not so good when it counted.
Congrats to Nepean. Experience pulls through, I too was in the doubting camp.

Ottawa looks very very strong.

What is interesting to me how asthetics versus actual results that matter for coaches (winning) seems to be determining D1 scholarships. The annointed players on PLK and SF were shown to be wanting when it came down to what matters most - winning.

When you go through the line up on Nepean for example it is boggling who has yet to land a D1 notwithstanding the continued proven ability to deliver when it matters most. Zawadski, Niel, Hodgeson, Lorca and Herlihey are the most striking.

The same could be said for Ottawa and Brockville maybe even more so. Perhaps a deep playoff run for these three teams will change all of that but I doubt it. There are so few D1s awarded this time of year.

Good luck the teams. Anyone keen to see an Ottawa - Nepean series? Any takers on that outcome?

hongkongphoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:46 AM
gusfring

I feel bad for Mohns. No matter what he did, he could never live to the god-like following for Sheldon Keefe, who I guess is the best coach of all time.

Remember, Keefe left Pembroke. Nobody forced him to leave half way through the season and take one of their best forwards with him.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:02 AM
Lakers21

Quote:
I feel bad for Mohns. No matter what he did, he could never live to the god-like following for Sheldon Keefe, who I guess is the best coach of all time.

Remember, Keefe left Pembroke. Nobody forced him to leave half way through the season and take one of their best forwards with him.
Mohns is a bad coach, no 2 ways about it.

He was handed a role he’s not capable of and never earned the respect of the players. The players respected the postion but not Mohns, he was inadequate at best. Yes SK is a tough act to follow and as stated I’m sure off the ice Mohns is a nice guy. But Mohns was a real bad pick and a bad decision by SK when he left to chase his dream. As SK said, it all happened quickly and the decisions needed to be made in a hurry. Well this result reflects a quick and easy decision and SK left a bunch of kids disappointed. They finished the season playing for each other, the jersey and for their personal goals... not their coach.
He never prepared the way SK did for games because – he has a real job. His practices were bad because he has never had the experience or responsibility to prepare practices at the Jr A level (and he often didn’t even come to practice when he was an assistant). His ability in game to read, react and adjust doesn’t even remotely compare to SK. SK described this team as young and one that would get better as they worked towards the playoffs. Well I agree, the PLK development process ended the day SK left.
And if the coaching style / legacy goes Tortorella/SK/ Mohns… well Mohns doesn’t have the personality, pedigree, knowledge or experience to pull off the ‘Tough Guy’ coach. Mohns fear of reprisal tactics ran shallow and he just chipped away at what little followers he had in the dressing room with his bad imitation of SK. The ‘Accountability’ mantra has always been a big part of the SK tactic, but he also had the skill to teach and did the work to prepare the team. The fake SK persona just left the players wanting out.
This was a talented and unmotivated club. Broken promises happen all the time in Jr hockey. But SK leaving and Mohns following was a huge let down for all the kids and the season played out that way.
Hopefully the team is sold and someone comes in and fixes this, because the bus will be full of players leaving after the banquet Saturday and not wanting to come back.

Lakers21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:32 AM
gusfring

I'm not saying Mohns is a good coach - I said I felt bad for him.

Keefe left him high and dry and took one of their best players with him.

It was a bad situation.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:45 AM
CoasttoCoast

[QUOTE=Lakers21;62024679]Mohns is a bad coach, no 2 ways about it.

Big fan of SK and what the Kings did the last 6-7 years. When you are compared to the very best, it's hard to measure up.
But the Kings, with SK, finsished in the middle of the pack last year, and lost to nepean in the playoffs with Dupuis and Milley in the line-up. This team was'nt going to win the league this year with or without SK.
Three of these games were very close. I thought Pembroke not showing up for period 1 of game 3 when the were down 2 games to zero was very surpriseing and cost them a chance to make this a series, besides that period, they gave Nepean a good test. Smith emerged as a top young goalie to build a team around and Harper will have a chance to be the top dman in the league next year.
The exciting part about this is how well nepean passed the test.
Zawadski A+, don't bet against this goalie.
Defense A, struggled all year, but have pulled a rabbit out of the hat by adding a AP (Constatine) to their top pairing. The kid looks better every game. PG is rolling all 6 dmen. There is no one special in this group but they have been good enough against some strong teams in the last 3 weeks.
Forwards A, depth, skill, experience & size. They have significant injuries up front, Hodgson, herlihey, williams but can still roll out 3 strong lines. Durocher and Thierrien add size, Neil, Hedges and Norris are playing like your best players.
Everything is rosy in raidersnation today, we are back in the fianl 4, where we belong, let's see how it unfolds.

Last edited by CoasttoCoast: 03-20-2013 at 09:46 AM. Reason: stuff
Old
03-20-2013, 10:16 AM
Lakers21

Smith - Halifax Mooseheads or Niagra Ice Dogs next year
Harper - got a Niagra commit and wants out
Larson - working on way out

List goes on... think Kemptville quality next year when you think PLK

Mohns destroyed this team.

Lakers21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:27 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers21 View Post

Yet, no blame to Keefe for leaving how and when he did.

If I were a player, I wouldn't want to play there with this being the attitude that no matter what you did, no one can compare to the SK teams.

Can't wait to see Owen Sound lay SSM out ...

Old
03-20-2013, 10:48 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Yet, no blame to Keefe for leaving how and when he did.

If I were a player, I wouldn't want to play there with this being the attitude that no matter what you did, no one can compare to the SK teams.

Can't wait to see Owen Sound lay SSM out ...
I think we've been through this before. How can you fault SK for jumping on a huge opportunity? This happens at all levels.

And good luck to him in the playoffs.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:10 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
I think we've been through this before. How can you fault SK for jumping on a huge opportunity? This happens at all levels.

And good luck to him in the playoffs.
Yet we blame Mohns, when before Keefe left they weren't much better than where they ended the season?

Doesn't seem right.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:30 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Yet we blame Mohns, when before Keefe left they weren't much better than where they ended the season?

Doesn't seem right.
I agree. But please don't blame Keefe for trying to better himself. It's unfortunate that it happened part way through the season but as I stated earlier, this happens all the time.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:40 PM
gusfring

I guess loyalty means different things to different people, but I didn't expect more from Keefe and his crew.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:50 PM
CoasttoCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers21 View Post

Smith, to bad.
Harper, come home to nepean.
Larson, who cares.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:55 PM
CanadiansGuy60

Last nights game was a barn burner, although the score would indicate otherwise and the 3rd period was one for the ages.

Both teams opened up offensively in the 3rd and every shift had 2 or 3 odd man rushes and goal scoring opportunities, but both goalies kept their respective team in the game. Martin From SF stopped 4 great opportunities in the 2nd (2 on break aways) alone. The crowd was kept on the edge of their seats constantly and was probably the loudest I have heard the rink in years.

In th end, 2 PP goals coming off undiciplined plays cost both teams, but CP prevails.

Can't wait for another great game tonight!

Go Canadians Go!!

CanadiansGuy60 is offline   Reply With Quote