HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

CCHL 2012-2013 season - part III

Old
03-20-2013, 05:29 PM
valleydude

vCash: 500
Where's Racine ?

What's up with OJS and Hunter Racine. PS says he did not play in the first round..any info ?

valleydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 05:53 PM
KL14

Coaching Changes

Any changes coming yet for the teams going out in four straight or for the teams not making the playoffs ?

KL14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:00 PM
Johnny 2K8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotitans View Post
What's up with OJS and Hunter Racine. PS says he did not play in the first round..any info ?
I was told during game 3 that Racine was out with back spasms. Werther, Packard, and Millen are also injured right now, but based on what I heard they should all be available for round 2.

Johnny 2K8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Kings87

[QUOTE=CoasttoCoast;62026391]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers21 View Post
Mohns is a bad coach, no 2 ways about it.

Big fan of SK and what the Kings did the last 6-7 years. When you are compared to the very best, it's hard to measure up.
But the Kings, with SK, finsished in the middle of the pack last year, and lost to nepean in the playoffs with Dupuis and Milley in the line-up. This team was'nt going to win the league this year with or without SK.
Three of these games were very close. I thought Pembroke not showing up for period 1 of game 3 when the were down 2 games to zero was very surpriseing and cost them a chance to make this a series, besides that period, they gave Nepean a good test. Smith emerged as a top young goalie to build a team around and Harper will have a chance to be the top dman in the league next year.
The exciting part about this is how well nepean passed the test.
Zawadski A+, don't bet against this goalie.
Defense A, struggled all year, but have pulled a rabbit out of the hat by adding a AP (Constatine) to their top pairing. The kid looks better every game. PG is rolling all 6 dmen. There is no one special in this group but they have been good enough against some strong teams in the last 3 weeks.
Forwards A, depth, skill, experience & size. They have significant injuries up front, Hodgson, herlihey, williams but can still roll out 3 strong lines. Durocher and Thierrien add size, Neil, Hedges and Norris are playing like your best players.
Everything is rosy in raidersnation today, we are back in the fianl 4, where we belong, let's see how it unfolds.
Recall that last year's Pembroke team was in rebuild mode with only 5 returnees from their 2011 national championship team. SK's PLK upset Brockville in 5 games, then took the nationally-ranked Raiders to the limit, before losing game 7. Milley missed most of the season, had strong first round, but tailed off considerably towards end of series against Nepean.
If SK had not left Pembroke mid-season, taking Ty Gaudet with him, i wouldn't have bet against the team making the finals.

Kings87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:55 PM
Me Me

kings

well I think Mohns did a great job. Put yuorself on his shoes and your boss says that he is going to a different job and ask you to take over and you had realy no experience of the job would you take it . Well if you didn't think of who you would get the janitor.The problem is that when you are left in left field and have to make a decition . Everyone has diffent ways of teaching kids even in schools and all the sports. I think in this situation that Mohns did a great job with the young team and only 5 returning players and one 20 yr old. If you have young kids everyone no's how they listen.Great job and for makeing the playoffs when at the start of season you where not suppose to make it.

Me Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:19 AM
StephenMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Me View Post
well I think Mohns did a great job. ......Great job and for makeing the playoffs when at the start of season you where not suppose to make it.
I must declare that I am definitly NOT a Lumber Kings fan. Far be it, might even say I am the polar opposite.

But I do have to say that Scott Mohns did an admirable job with the Kings. There is a tremendous difference between the role of an assistant and the head coach. Scott was learning on the fly.

Remember this is the Pembroke team that did not have one All Star Team player on it.

I think Sheldon and the Pembroke hockey community owe him a debt of gratitude for what he stepped in and did.

Steve

StephenMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:51 PM
HockeyFan67

Big game in Cornwall tonight...Colts win in 1st OT 3-2....Both goalies played awesome and kept their teams in it.Cornwall was down 2-1 with 1 sec left in the 3rd to tie it up and go to OT.

Should be a great game tomorrow night in Brockville!

HockeyFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:56 PM
Me Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenMac View Post
I must declare that I am definitly NOT a Lumber Kings fan. Far be it, might even say I am the polar opposite.

But I do have to say that Scott Mohns did an admirable job with the Kings. There is a tremendous difference between the role of an assistant and the head coach. Scott was learning on the fly.

Remember this is the Pembroke team that did not have one All Star Team player on it.

I think Sheldon and the Pembroke hockey community owe him a debt of gratitude for what he stepped in and did.

Steve
I have to agree all the ones that complain about this I would like to see them do it at the last minute or even coach.

Me Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:20 AM
toughguy73

Team Ownership

Anyone hear any rumors about team ownership? Specifically those that are owned by now OHL coaches- Gill and Keefe?
Seems to be some rumors swirling about both

toughguy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:35 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy73 View Post
Anyone hear any rumors about team ownership? Specifically those that are owned by now OHL coaches- Gill and Keefe?
Seems to be some rumors swirling about both
Is either team even for sale...officially?

ottawafan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:37 PM
BigBuck

Keep hearing Ray Sheppard's name as interested in buying one of them.

BigBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:22 PM
StephenMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
Keep hearing Ray Sheppard's name as interested in buying one of them.
Isn't Ray from Petawawa ? Hmmm ?

Old
03-22-2013, 03:06 PM
toughguy73

From Pembroke I believe, but living in Cornwall, and played for the Braves...... that name has been swirling around our hockey circle as well.
Apparently looking to be head coach and GM as well as purchase.....

toughguy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:45 PM
myviewfromthestands

Heard Sheppard has bought the Braves.

myviewfromthestands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:08 PM
valleydude

Quote:
Originally Posted by billystuart View Post
Heard Sheppard has bought the Braves.
Does he have a 16 year old son ?

valleydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:04 AM
hardfacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers21 View Post
Mohns is a bad coach, no 2 ways about it.

He was handed a role he’s not capable of and never earned the respect of the players. The players respected the postion but not Mohns, he was inadequate at best. Yes SK is a tough act to follow and as stated I’m sure off the ice Mohns is a nice guy. But Mohns was a real bad pick and a bad decision by SK when he left to chase his dream. As SK said, it all happened quickly and the decisions needed to be made in a hurry. Well this result reflects a quick and easy decision and SK left a bunch of kids disappointed. They finished the season playing for each other, the jersey and for their personal goals... not their coach.
He never prepared the way SK did for games because – he has a real job. His practices were bad because he has never had the experience or responsibility to prepare practices at the Jr A level (and he often didn’t even come to practice when he was an assistant). His ability in game to read, react and adjust doesn’t even remotely compare to SK. SK described this team as young and one that would get better as they worked towards the playoffs. Well I agree, the PLK development process ended the day SK left.
And if the coaching style / legacy goes Tortorella/SK/ Mohns… well Mohns doesn’t have the personality, pedigree, knowledge or experience to pull off the ‘Tough Guy’ coach. Mohns fear of reprisal tactics ran shallow and he just chipped away at what little followers he had in the dressing room with his bad imitation of SK. The ‘Accountability’ mantra has always been a big part of the SK tactic, but he also had the skill to teach and did the work to prepare the team. The fake SK persona just left the players wanting out.
This was a talented and unmotivated club. Broken promises happen all the time in Jr hockey. But SK leaving and Mohns following was a huge let down for all the kids and the season played out that way.
Hopefully the team is sold and someone comes in and fixes this, because the bus will be full of players leaving after the banquet Saturday and not wanting to come back.
Your post sounds like your kid did not get any ice or scholarship. The true plk fans and hockey people know that Scott was put in a tough situation and did a great job. He has a family and full time job on top of the team. He did a great job.
Laker you should be embarressed to write something of this nature.

hardfacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:08 AM
hardfacts

Congrats to CP Canadians on first franchise series win.....didnt see a game but looking at point streak it looks like CP dominated the whole series other than game 4.

hardfacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:38 AM
CanadiansGuy60

Congrats to the Canadians organization on advancing to the 2nd round. In front of a sold out rink last night the team played brilliantly. Kudo's to the Smiths Falls Bears as well, they played a very hard fought series. They were gracious in defeat and their 200+ fans were as well.

The boys always held their composure and even when SF's tied it in the 2nd you never got the sense that we would not finish it off. An awesome series to watch. Can't wait for the next round. Cornwall will be a great matchup!

Go Canadians Go

CanadiansGuy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Grabbers

Raiders enjoying three days off. PG out of town working. Potential players for next year coming to practice Monday. The best never rest!

Looking forward to OJS. As noted in recent posts - no goalie concerns (Z was awesome against PLK) and our best (and at times older) players have stepped it up at the right time!!

Congrats to the Colts and CP aw well!

Two excellent series about to fire up - should be fun!

Go Raiders Go!

Grabbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:06 PM
newfan

CP

CP - are the Edwards boys injured?

newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:42 AM
StephenMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
CP - are the Edwards boys injured?
One has a virus, well, at least his twitter account does

Old
03-24-2013, 07:55 AM
Lymo

PLK has been sold, the announcement was put on hold until after the playoffs, stay tuned.
Brockville is for sale, Gill told me personally, no official word yet.

Lymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:09 AM
CoasttoCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoasttoCoast View Post
Ottawa in 5...games will be close on scoreboard, not in shots
CPC in 6...CPC in 5 if their goaltending is great, SF left figuring out what went wrong
Cornwall in 6... Better at every position, but old rivalry keeps it closer
Nepean in 6... Finally they are the underdogs, Goalie rises from ashes, leads the way
4 for 4.....please......hold your applause.......

CPC vs. Cornwall
- CPC in 6 or less- CPC has the Best defense in the league, forwards are equal to any team, have played physical & disciplined since Christmas, good team play, very tough building to win in. The only question mark is the goal-tending, if the goalie match's cornwalls goalie, then it is over for cornwall.

Ottawa vs. Nepean
-Nepean in 6 or 7-No logical/rational reason for me to pick this, just my team, but I will try and argue my position anyway.
Ottawa made maybe the best moves after Christmas to address specific needs of the team, second line forwards. Clintsome and others really improved the forward depth. The defense I have as second only to CPC. Goaltending very good. They might be vulnerable because Werthner and Racine have not played much lately do to injuries, as a result they may not play, or if they do may not be as effective.
Nepean has all the big guns healthy and playing right now, I think they will get 1 or 2 of their depth guys back. Your the Champs until somebody beats you. I don't think it will be Ottawa.

CoasttoCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:22 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoasttoCoast View Post
4 for 4.....please......hold your applause.......

CPC vs. Cornwall
- CPC in 6 or less- CPC has the Best defense in the league, forwards are equal to any team, have played physical & disciplined since Christmas, good team play, very tough building to win in. The only question mark is the goal-tending, if the goalie match's cornwalls goalie, then it is over for cornwall.

Ottawa vs. Nepean
-Nepean in 6 or 7-No logical/rational reason for me to pick this, just my team, but I will try and argue my position anyway.
Ottawa made maybe the best moves after Christmas to address specific needs of the team, second line forwards. Clintsome and others really improved the forward depth. The defense I have as second only to CPC. Goaltending very good. They might be vulnerable because Werthner and Racine have not played much lately do to injuries, as a result they may not play, or if they do may not be as effective.
Nepean has all the big guns healthy and playing right now, I think they will get 1 or 2 of their depth guys back. Your the Champs until somebody beats you. I don't think it will be Ottawa.
I have to agree with you. However, my only concern for Nepean is that they were only 1 for 6 against Ottawa head to head. Their playoff experience should help them prevail though.

ottawafan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
I have to agree with you. However, my only concern for Nepean is that they were only 1 for 6 against Ottawa head to head. Their playoff experience should help them prevail though.
I agree CP wins as long as goaltending is good enough, my guess in 6.

Looking at other series, both teams have very good offenses, Ottawa defense significantly better than Raiders, Nepean gets a slight edge in net due to Z's experience, Goulet gets edge in coaching since he has been there.......IMO it will be Ottawa in 6 or 7 unless Z steals two games. Should be a great series.

Ottawa Guy is offline   Reply With Quote