HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Jason Spezza (Herniated disc - Back surgery - Out at least 2 months)

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2013, 10:34 AM
HockeySens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Cowen 2010 View Post
Agreed. No need to rush them. Maybe if we were strong contenders but people forget, this is year 2 of the rebuild.
Also pittsburgh is stacked this year. We are gonna need karlsson for that so next year hopefully is the cup run for the sens

Old
03-29-2013, 12:38 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Not sure what to make of this latest announcement, I was really hoping to see Spezza do his thing again before october. Who knows though! With or without Spezza and Karlsson i wouldn't be shocked to see the pesky sens win a round or two.

I can se them being the habs that took out a loaded pittsburg and washington a few years ago, and took boston to game 7 overtime.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:44 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySens View Post
Also pittsburgh is stacked this year. We are gonna need karlsson for that so next year hopefully is the cup run for the sens
The Penguins made a lot of late additions to their team, that can backfire as often as it works.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:49 PM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

What is the likelyhood that Spezza and Michalek are traded?
I know this is heresy, but I don't see Spezza fitting into the current game strategy that MacClean has implemented. Maybe Michalek because he has the speed. But on forward all of our current players have the speed to succeed (TM).
Spezza unfort has adequate foot speed, but watching year after year where he is behind the play heading into our zone...once in the zone he does ok and has learned, but he just can't get back in time to help break up problems.

03-29-2013, 01:10 PM
barabr10
UM ya that;s right

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanuuq View Post
What is the likelyhood that Spezza and Michalek are traded?
I know this is heresy, but I don't see Spezza fitting into the current game strategy that MacClean has implemented. Maybe Michalek because he has the speed. But on forward all of our current players have the speed to succeed (TM).
Spezza unfort has adequate foot speed, but watching year after year where he is behind the play heading into our zone...once in the zone he does ok and has learned, but he just can't get back in time to help break up problems.
The likelyhood of Spezza being trade is low to no chance, i can see Michalek getting traded but only if a gm comes to Murray and offers him an offer he can't refuse. The current game strategy Maclean has implemented will definitely change once Karlsson and Spezza come back. Don't forget before the Karlsson injury Maclean's game plan centered around Karlsson ability to break the offensive zone, with the injury Maclean was forced to change to a more suitable defensive system that played to the strengths of out current forwards.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:12 PM
The Fuhr

Spezza was 4th in scoring last year... he typically steps up his game substantially in the playoffs.

People who want to deal Spezza are absolutely retarded... I'm sorry but you are... what we do is get him an elite first line winger to work with... and challenge for the cup

Old
03-29-2013, 01:19 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
Spezza was 4th in scoring last year... he typically steps up his game substantially in the playoffs.

People who want to deal Spezza are absolutely retarded... I'm sorry but you are... what we do is get him an elite first line winger to work with... and challenge for the cup
No he doesn't, he plays exactly the same.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:24 PM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
No he doesn't, he plays exactly the same.
I watch him become better... when the Sens went to the cup he was our best player... I see the impact he makes.

He is a top 10 center in the game... you don't trade players like that.

i hope he finishes his career as a Sen... he is the most talented player to ever play on this team.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:28 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
1-I watch him become better... when the Sens went to the cup he was our best player... I see the impact he makes.

2-He is a top 10 center in the game... you don't trade players like that.

3-i hope he finishes his career as a Sen... he is the most talented player to ever play on this team.
1-Dude... come on. please. Alfredsson

2-Top 15 at best

3-Erik Karlsson

Old
03-29-2013, 01:31 PM
robsenz

Don't want to part with Spezza, but he's a hit or miss in the playoffs...2003 against NJ and 2007 he was a beast up until the finals, then like the rest of the team he disappeared...I Wasn't too pleased with his playoffs last year after what was probably his most solid season of his career.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:32 PM
Dgill

Quote:
I watch him become better... when the Sens went to the cup he was our best player... I see the impact he makes.

He is a top 10 center in the game... you don't trade players like that.

i hope he finishes his career as a Sen... he is the most talented player to ever play on this team.
Alexei Yashin or Erik Karlsson is the most talented Sen ever.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:38 PM
The Fuhr

Quote:
1-Dude... come on. please. Alfredsson

2-Top 15 at best

3-Erik Karlsson
Spezza has had some pretty ridiculous seasons like the year he had 71 assists in 69GP...

Look at Alfredsson's best seasons and ask yourself who his center was.

Karlsson could become the best but it takes more then 1-2 seasons... Spezza has been doing it for almost a decade now

Old
03-29-2013, 01:42 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Alfredsson was our best player in the Anaheim series, but Spezza was the best player over the course of the playoffs.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:43 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Spezza has had some pretty ridiculous seasons like the year he had 71 assists in 69GP...

Look at Alfredsson's best seasons and ask yourself who his center was.

Karlsson could become the best but it takes more then 1-2 seasons... Spezza has been doing it for almost a decade now
Didn't say Alfie was more talented than Spezza. Said Alfie as the best player during the Cup run.

71 assists because of:
-2 elite goal scoring wingers
-Hugely inflated scoring that season
-Complete disregard for defensive hockey. Worst defensive player on the pizza line, and Heatley was far from a juggernaut

Karlsson last season and this season is more talented player than Spezza ever was. Longevity doesn't change that.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:51 PM
The Fuhr

sure it does... being able to bring that talent over years means a lot... not some flash in the pan.

Remember when Joe Juneau put up 100 points as a rookie or when Jim Carey won a Vezina? Being able to display the talent level over years means a lot more then doing it for 1-2 years.

Shows how talented the player is at adapting to the NHL as teams focus on them.-

Old
03-29-2013, 02:17 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Mandy your Spezza hate is becoming sickening. Seriously, wow. Top 15 at best?

He is top 5 in terms of pure skill and easily top 10 while being a top 3 when on his game.

The stats prove it. He is 6th in PPG since the lockout among ALL PLAYERS while having the worst linemates of top line compatibility the past 2-3 years.

He was our best penalty killer before he want down. He makes this team so much better it's not even funny.

Wow, you'd think I'd be having this discussion with a Leafs fan.

Also, I love Spezza but he was our second best player in that run it was easily Alfredsson.

Old
03-29-2013, 02:25 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Why bother arguing with MAK? He is a well known Spezza hater and he makes things up to justify his argument (like saying Spezza was worse defensively than Heatley, or that he doesn't try defensively now). Spezza has shown just as much talent if not more than Karlsson over his career -- but again you've already shown that you have no interest in being objective about Spezza whatsover.

Like has been said...Alfredsson came through at times during that run, but overall Spezza was our best player. He typically steps his game up and leads this team in the playoffs as was shown last year -- he was twice as good as any other player on our team in the playoffs last year.

Old
03-29-2013, 02:46 PM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 605
Remember the days when Kyle Wellwood was compared to Spezza?

Old
03-29-2013, 03:02 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
sure it does... being able to bring that talent over years means a lot... not some flash in the pan.

Remember when Joe Juneau put up 100 points as a rookie or when Jim Carey won a Vezina? Being able to display the talent level over years means a lot more then doing it for 1-2 years.

Shows how talented the player is at adapting to the NHL as teams focus on them.-
It wasn't cause they were ''figured out''. Juneau struggled with injuries and Carey had mental issues and just wasn't enjoying hockey anymore so he stopped playing. Karlsson isn't like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Why bother arguing with MAK? He is a well known Spezza hater and he makes things up to justify his argument (like saying Spezza was worse defensively than Heatley, or that he doesn't try defensively now). Spezza has shown just as much talent if not more than Karlsson over his career -- but again you've already shown that you have no interest in being objective about Spezza whatsover.

Like has been said...Alfredsson came through at times during that run, but overall Spezza was our best player. He typically steps his game up and leads this team in the playoffs as was shown last year -- he was twice as good as any other player on our team in the playoffs last year.

Spezza is better defensively than he used to be. When he's actually inside the D zone, he's OK. But, he's still not great and definitely not above average like you say. Many many players are worse offensively than Spezza: they make a living in the NHL by being good defensively and you easily dismiss them and say Spezza is better.

Spezza was truly awful defensively in 2005-06. So bad. Yes worse than Heatley.

As for the Cup run, Spezza and Alfie had the same amount of points but:
-Alfie scored more goals
-Alfie came up big in critical moments
-Alfie did all the heavy lifting defensively on that line

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Mandy your Spezza hate is becoming sickening. Seriously, wow. Top 15 at best?

He is top 5 in terms of pure skill and easily top 10 while being a top 3 when on his game.

The stats prove it. He is 6th in PPG since the lockout among ALL PLAYERS while having the worst linemates of top line compatibility the past 2-3 years.

He was our best penalty killer before he want down. He makes this team so much better it's not even funny.

Wow, you'd think I'd be having this discussion with a Leafs fan.

Also, I love Spezza but he was our second best player in that run it was easily Alfredsson.
Crosby
Malkin
Datsyuk
Stamkos
Toews
Getzlaf
Kopitar
Zetterberg
Bergeron
Staal
Sedin
Giroux
Tavares
Thornton
Backstrom

That's 15. Spezza fits in with the worst of that group. Top 15 is a good number, any non-Senators fan agrees. You can't call me a troll when I agree with fans who don't constantly have their Sens homer glasses on.

Don't you think that maybe you're overrating him because you're emotionally attached? You're saying that everyone who says Spezza is not a top 10 centre at least (most non-biased NHL fans) are wrong?

Old
03-29-2013, 03:09 PM
HavlatMach9

ORLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reini29 View Post
#1 - Sidney Crosby
#2 - Evgeni Malkin
#3 - Steven Stamkos
#4 - Claude Giroux
#5 - Pavel Datsyuk
#6 - Henrik Sedin
#7 - John Tavares
#8 - Jonathan Toews
#9 - Anze Kopitar
#10 - Jason Spezza
#11 - Nicklas Backstrom
#12 - Joe Thornton
#13 - Eric Staal
#14 - Henrik Zetterberg
#15 - Ryan Getzlaf

Old
03-29-2013, 03:18 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
lol

they have him at 10 least year after his best season. do it again this year and he'll be closer to 15 guaranteed.

Getzlaf, Zetterberg and Staal all had bad seasons last year, which is why it turned out the way it did.

Old
03-29-2013, 03:21 PM
HavlatMach9

I simply provided who Hfboards thought are top 10 centers and Spezza was voted 10. Go ahead and break it down if you want.

Old
03-29-2013, 03:26 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
I simply provided who Hfboards thought are top 10 centers and Spezza was voted 10. Go ahead and break it down if you want.
OK. My point is, he's not clear cut or ''easily'' top 10 like a lot of you are making him out to be. That list actually proves it. He's 10th after a good season of his and bad seasons by other candidates.

I just absolutely love what this team is doing without him. The hard working, two-way mentality. The Sens are taking care of their own zone first and working their butts off all over the ice. That's the type of hockey I like to see my favorite team play.

Spezza, while super talented, takes away from that and doesn't necessarily make the team that much better. That is all.

Old
03-29-2013, 03:29 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Spezza, while super talented, takes away from that and doesn't necessarily make the team that much better. That is all.
How can anyone respect what you say when you make comments like this?

Old
03-29-2013, 03:29 PM
sensfan44
peacetowersens

Quote:
lol

they have him at 10 least year after his best season. do it again this year and he'll be closer to 15 guaranteed.

Getzlaf, Zetterberg and Staal all had bad seasons last year, which is why it turned out the way it did.
What are you basing your rankings on? If by points he was 3rd last year with a couple less games played.
But seriously what are you basing your rankings on? Is it personal preference?

Closed Thread