HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jason Spezza (Herniated disc - Back surgery - Out at least 2 months)

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2013, 08:40 AM
BigZKingK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorf View Post
What's the deal with Spezza? 3 weeks ago he was listed as 2-3 weeks away, and now he's questionable for the playoffs? This guy is the anti-Alfie when it comes to returning from injury.

At this point, other than Anderson, I don't expect any of the injured players to return this season, playoffs included.
This with maybe Cowen and MM back for playoff time i dont expect our superstar back this season

Old
04-03-2013, 09:06 AM
R2010

Quote:
What's the deal with Spezza? 3 weeks ago he was listed as 2-3 weeks away, and now he's questionable for the playoffs? This guy is the anti-Alfie when it comes to returning from injury.

At this point, other than Anderson, I don't expect any of the injured players to return this season, playoffs included.
Ever had a back injury?

Old
04-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Zorf
Let's win it all- MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2010 View Post
Ever had a back injury?
Yes, actually. They suck. Didn't need surgery though. I get that back injuries are tricky, but I would like to think that the medical staff who are monitoring Spezza's progression and rehab wouldn't be so far off the mark.

Just seems to be a pretty drastic setback to go from 2-3 weeks out to possible out for the season. Just curious what happened to extend his recovery time by so much.

Doesn't change the fact that he is clearly the anti-Alfie in terms of injury recovery.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Larionov

vCash: 50
Spezza didn't exactly have a mole removed. Any time they operate on your back, it is significant surgery, and the recovery is a lot less predictable than it is for a knee, shoulder, etc. Add in the fact that this isn't his first go-round with back surgery, and I'm not surprised that he is encountering some bumps in the road. You are talking about getting a guy ready not just to jog 5 km or play a round of golf, but to be rocked by the likes of Zdeno Chara, and be able to just keep trucking...

Old
04-03-2013, 10:44 AM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

Quote:
Yes, actually. They suck. Didn't need surgery though. I get that back injuries are tricky, but I would like to think that the medical staff who are monitoring Spezza's progression and rehab wouldn't be so far off the mark.

Just seems to be a pretty drastic setback to go from 2-3 weeks out to possible out for the season. Just curious what happened to extend his recovery time by so much.

Doesn't change the fact that he is clearly the anti-Alfie in terms of injury recovery.
He has the most chronic injury on the team.

It doesn't surprise me that they are being cautious.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Tuna99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
He has the most chronic injury on the team.

It doesn't surprise me that they are being cautious.
I wonder if it makes BM think twice about signing Spezza long term because of his back - he will essentially miss this entire season and in two years time at age 31 I can't imagine his back will improve. Bid decicion for the Sens

Old
04-03-2013, 11:09 AM
HavlatMach9

He won't think twice. Spezza will be re-signed however long he wants.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Iamok
#Panic

Re-sign Spezza, no question about it. You are never going to get a player of his calibre here in Ottawa from the FA market, and it'll cost an arm and a leg through trades.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:43 AM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
I wonder if it makes BM think twice about signing Spezza long term because of his back - he will essentially miss this entire season and in two years time at age 31 I can't imagine his back will improve. Bid decicion for the Sens
His long-term prognosis is not good.

The odds of him playing past 35 seem very slim.

I agree that giving up on a PPG centre is pretty tough to do, particularly when our other elite offensive forward is on his way out.

Wouldn't necessarily want to sign him for more than 3 or 4 years.

Old
04-03-2013, 12:01 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:

I agree that giving up on a PPG centre is pretty tough to do, particularly when our other elite offensive forward is on his way out.

This is why it would make sense to maybe keep Bishop until the draft to try & move up to grab Monahan. I guess they could also look to move Stone & Puempel maybe to move up as well. On the other hand, they could pick up a pretty good centre on July 1, it wouldn't surprise me if Derek Roy for one being available then. But I think they may have to start looking, not so much for a number 1 but a number 2 would work as well. Turris is showing that he has that kind of skill & in time could take over as the number 1, he has done it all yr this yr. Zibanejad looks like he has that kind of potential as well. Should be interesting.

Old
04-03-2013, 12:15 PM
BuckyDornster
Speed kills, Del.

vCash: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
Re-sign Spezza, no question about it. You are never going to get a player of his calibre here in Ottawa from the FA market, and it'll cost an arm and a leg through trades.
This is true. You're probably not getting a 70-90 point centre as a FA. On the other hand, if Spezza is injured more often than not, you definitely would be wise to sign him to a 3-5 year deal tops, and without a NMC/NTC so you can get rid of the deteriorating asset if need arises. Remember, this is a business.

As for life without Spezza...Zibanejad - Turris - Smith - DaBossta/X. We just play a much more conservative, grinding style instead of the wide-open one we have been used to under MacLean. Adapt and survive. Even the best players in the NHL go away someday.

Old
04-03-2013, 12:20 PM
BuckyDornster
Speed kills, Del.

vCash: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by magix View Post
O how quickly people forget. I dont understand the obsession with selke caliber centers. Its like people have completely forgotten, the objective of the game is to put the puck in the back of the opposing team's net. And thats exactly what forwards are meant to do.

Also, our goalies have been the primary reason why this grinding type of hockey works.
Most Stanley Cup finalists have at least one Selke-caliber forward on the team. Datsyuk, Kesler, Toews, Bergeron, etc...it's not a big secret. If your top players excel defensively you become incredibly hard to play against and your team is more likely to win.

In the playoffs, preventing your opponents form scoring is just as important as doing it yourself. If your defensive play causes the other team's better players to cause a turnover that results in a goal...you win. And they need to play catch up.

Old
04-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Milan the God*

Quote:
Ian Mendes ‏@ian_mendes

Murray says that Spezza has felt better in the past 4 or 5 days. Still hasn't resumed skating at this point.

https://twitter.com/ian_mendes/statu...39887911100417
Take it what it's worth, but it's never a bad thing when one has "felt better in the past 4 or 5 days"

Old
04-03-2013, 04:08 PM
HockeySens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Take it what it's worth, but it's never a bad thing when one has "felt better in the past 4 or 5 days"
Id take that over nothing, I hope he feels good enough to resume skating this coming week and hope he comes back healthy. Finally we will have our top line

Old
04-03-2013, 05:46 PM
GoSensGo765
BELIEVE!

Feeling better in the last 4-5 days is huge. If that keeps up over the next week, he'll be skating quickly, can pick up the pace and push himself and after a couple weeks of practice he'd be ready to return.

Still think he's right on track to return for Game 1 of the playoffs.

Get back quick Spezz, we got a speedy young winger for you to play with!

Old
04-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Caseus
squirrelly wrath

Quote:

Is that what they said? Frack, I didn't hear that. Yeah, no long-terms contracts for him. Really tough to know he's not going to be in for the long haul. We are a much better team with him in the lineup.

Old
04-03-2013, 06:20 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:

Where are u getting this information?

Old
04-03-2013, 07:38 PM
arglebargle

Quote:

Are you some kind of doctor, or are you just talking out of your ass?

Old
04-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

I feel like he can be back for the playoffs...I hope that he doesn't rush it though. Let his back heal properly and then worry about hockey.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:17 PM
sens4life
#GotHamburger?

Here's my thinking - let me know if you agree or not with each:
- Anderson has been ready to go for at least the last week
- The Sens kept Anderson in the weeds so that Bishop would be more high profile during trade deadline
- If Spezza was even close to returning, the Sens would have him in the press during the past week to show potential traders that the Sens were dealing from a platform of strength with a top line center returning
- The fact that the Sens didn't have Spezza skating indicates to me that his injury and recovery is much more serious
- The above hasn't been announced sooner due to the optics of the Sens at the trade deadline in addition to the optics on the young team
- We should be hearing in the next 7-10 days that Spezza is out for the year

I don't have a source, but I do have a gut feel on this one...am I wrong? Which of the above do you feel are true, and which are totally out to lunch...

Old
04-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Flamingo

I'm hopeful for a Spezza return, but admit it could go either way. I don't draw any inferences from the way they handled Anderson's or Spezza's injuries. The Senators weren't trying to trade for any players that would have to waive NTC's, so I don't think keeping up appearances would have been important.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Slow Hands
The feels

Quote:

Way to talk out of your ass. Alfie had the same surgery at a much later age and is still playing at the age of 40.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:11 PM
HasselHoffman68
Tell me how you feel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens4life View Post
Here's my thinking - let me know if you agree or not with each:
- Anderson has been ready to go for at least the last week
- The Sens kept Anderson in the weeds so that Bishop would be more high profile during trade deadline
- If Spezza was even close to returning, the Sens would have him in the press during the past week to show potential traders that the Sens were dealing from a platform of strength with a top line center returning
- The fact that the Sens didn't have Spezza skating indicates to me that his injury and recovery is much more serious
- The above hasn't been announced sooner due to the optics of the Sens at the trade deadline in addition to the optics on the young team
- We should be hearing in the next 7-10 days that Spezza is out for the year

I don't have a source, but I do have a gut feel on this one...am I wrong? Which of the above do you feel are true, and which are totally out to lunch...
I agree with most of this. Well said.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Daffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomEngine View Post
I agree with most of this. Well said.
Really? It came out of his ass. Most of it makes no sense at all. Spezza has seen big improvement the past 5 days. I'd think he would return for the playoffs.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy View Post
Really? It came out of his ass. Most of it makes no sense at all. Spezza has seen big improvement the past 5 days. I'd think he would return for the playoffs.
Uhhh... no offense but I'm going to believe the other guy.
Your theory is too simple, there's got to be some kind of massive conspiracy to cover up Spezza's injury, all done so that we could get a marginally better return for Ben Bishop than originally expected. This has CIA written all over it.

Closed Thread