HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v25: Terrence Ross named to Slam Dunk Competition

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 10:31 AM
Grabowaffle84

vCash: 500
Someone tell me more about Haddadi. What is his role going to be? I tried to look up some info on this guy but if stats are any indication, I would think that he was just a throw in player of the deal.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:32 AM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabowaffle84 View Post
Someone tell me more about Haddadi. What is his role going to be? I tried to look up some info on this guy but if stats are any indication, I would think that he was just a throw in player of the deal.
throw in, likely a buyout immediately after the deal is completed.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:34 AM
Grabowaffle84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
throw in, likely a buyout immediately after the deal is completed.
Buyout? He's only making 1.3 million lol

Old
01-31-2013, 10:48 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
Why the RAPTORS were smart to get Rudy Gay?

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ey...o-get-rudy-gay

Look at the cap, three players making the BIG money: Demar, Landry & Rudy. Fields is such a terrible contract. That alone should get BC FIRED!
Decent article. I do agree that the cap situation sucks, but if Bargnani can get traded and Kleiza amnestied then it would make the cap situation a lot better. Gay is a good player, he won't be a star, but instead similar to DD. He has a massive contract and tbh I think that was the only way we would get a guy to fill the three hole. Which we finally managed to do. Going forward Val, Ross, DD, Lowry and Gay isn't terrible, but we definitely need some work. Hopefully BC is gone and someone else can finish it thou.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:10 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

you would think that with Lowry being injury prone we would need something better in the PG #2 slot. Why couldn't it have been Bargniani vs Calderon ? Annoying.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:15 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
Decent article. I do agree that the cap situation sucks, but if Bargnani can get traded and Kleiza amnestied then it would make the cap situation a lot better. Gay is a good player, he won't be a star, but instead similar to DD. He has a massive contract and tbh I think that was the only way we would get a guy to fill the three hole. Which we finally managed to do. Going forward Val, Ross, DD, Lowry and Gay isn't terrible, but we definitely need some work. Hopefully BC is gone and someone else can finish it thou.
My only thougth with this trade is that maybe as fans we just need to adjust to the fact that we won't ever be able to acquire a "premier" player.

We may have to settle for the second tier guys, like Gay, and to an extent Lowry, while we try to supplement them with draft picks. IMO the cap space isn't much of an issue, because the only players we ever spend on are in that second tier group, see Kapono, Jason and Turkoglu, Hedo.

The best strategy may just be to acquire these good but not great players and hope that we hit on some draft picks like Val, Ross and futures.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:23 AM
Baarle*
Lähme looduses

Old
01-31-2013, 11:31 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
My only thougth with this trade is that maybe as fans we just need to adjust to the fact that we won't ever be able to acquire a "premier" player.

We may have to settle for the second tier guys, like Gay, and to an extent Lowry, while we try to supplement them with draft picks. IMO the cap space isn't much of an issue, because the only players we ever spend on are in that second tier group, see Kapono, Jason and Turkoglu, Hedo.

The best strategy may just be to acquire these good but not great players and hope that we hit on some draft picks like Val, Ross and futures.
Yep, although it sucked to see Davis going. We finally filled the 3 spot, with what is likely the best player we had a chance to do it with. He is overpaid and underperforming, and that is why we got him. But he is now our best player and filling the position that has been empty for a while. I hope that Val can eventually turn into that go to player, cause surrounding him with guys like Gay, Lowry, DD should make a competitive team.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:34 AM
TOGuy14

Can we just get rid of BC please and let this guy stop tinkering with a franchise he won't be involved with next season?

BC just blew out our cap space for Rudy Gay who is a nice piece, but nothing that will win you a championship.

Look at our 2014 cap situation:

Gay making 19 mil, Bargs 12 mil, DD around ~10-11, Amir making 7, Fields 8.5 (ultra facepalm),

We have 56.5M comitted to 5 players right there and that is with nothing elite in the pack and a whole bench to fill out.

Put BC out of his miser please...

Old
01-31-2013, 11:35 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
i gotta ask what the hell happened to greg oden?
Injuries.

He's planning to come back next season though. Heat and Cavs are two of a few teams showing interest.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:39 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
Can we just get rid of BC please and let this guy stop tinkering with a franchise he won't be involved with next season?

BC just blew out our cap space for Rudy Gay who is a nice piece, but nothing that will win you a championship.

Look at our 2014 cap situation:

Gay making 19 mil, Bargs 12 mil, DD around ~10-11, Amir making 7, Fields 8.5 (ultra facepalm),

We have 56.5M comitted to 5 players right there and that is with nothing elite in the pack and a whole bench to fill out.

Put BC out of his miser please...
My counter to that: If BC can move 2 of those ugly contracts... Bargs and Fields then we're actually in decent shape.

I don't really get the "cap situation" argument. Since 1995 this team has never acquired an elite talent through trade or FA. We've had arguably 4 "elite" or "superstar" players.... Stoudemire, VC, TMac and Bosh in the history of the franchise.. Every single one of those guys came through the Draft.... (VC was traded for Jamieson of draft day but I don't count that).

We're never going to acquire an elite talent any other way, at least not until we've got a very good team in place that can attract one of those players. With Lowry, DD, Gay, TRoss, Valanciunas and Amir we've got a decent starting point.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:45 AM
Clark4Ever

Available cap space means nothing for quite a few teams in the NBA that wouldn't get a sniff from top tier free agents. Unfortunately, we fall into that category even though T.O. is the 5th largest market in the North America.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:01 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Yeah I don't understand why people are complaining about salary. If we can move Andrea and Kleiza or Fields for a better 4, we're laughing.

01-31-2013, 12:02 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Yeah I don't understand why people are complaining about salary. If we can move Andrea and Kleiza or Fields for a better 4, we're laughing.
Easier said than done. Nobody wants Kleiza or Fields unless Raps take a bad contract back as well.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:09 PM
Leafsforlife98

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Because cap space isn't just for big name premier players. You need cap space to sign your depth and secondary guys. Right now let's assume the following:

-pretend no more trades are made before now and next season. Not likely this happens (as Colangelo just said on TV), but just to make the thought experiment more straightforward.
-Aaron Gray picks up his player option
-John Lucas' team option is picked up.
-Linas Kleiza is bought out via amnesty provision.
-Haddadi does get bought out immediately as is rumored.

Gay is about $17.8m in. Between Davis' contract being off the books and Kleiza being hypothetically bought out, that's just about $7.8m out.

So based on Hoopsworld's #s, that means that the Raptors are adding about $10m on balance to next year's salary totals. Which in turn means that they will be around $68m in 13-14 salary commitments. And let's say that the salary cap remains at $58 million where it's been for the last 3 or so years.

So now the Raptors are $10m over the cap (with some variance for rounding) and a roster of:

PG: Lowry, Lucas
SG: DeRozan, Ross
SF: Gay, Fields
PF: Johnson, Bargnani, Acy
C: Valanciunas, Gray

11 players. With no cap space. and 2-4 roster spots to fill. Including needing a backup PG and another guy to fill that SG/SF swing role.

and this still means giving significant minutes to Fields and Bargs. Or starting Bargnani and playing Johnson as a hybrid backup C/PF.

When you're over the cap, you only have a couple of cap exception contracts to give out, and/or you can sign guys to the league minimum. that's not going to get you a lot of talent in.
come on. we all know Bargnani is gone as well as his contract. we know Kleiza will be amnestied. theres about 16 -17 milion gone.

Plus if we were one of those mid range.teams, wouldnt we get a mid level exception?

Anyways, i still think they will move both Bargnani and Derozan, i guess thats why im not to worried about cap space.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:10 PM
Kulemon

Why are people getting so upset over contracts? This team is never going to sign an elite talent unless they can somehow develop into a popular powerhouse. To get even decent free agents we have to over pay anyways. I don't get the huge problem other than it looks bad.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:23 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Easier said than done. Nobody wants Kleiza or Fields unless Raps take a bad contract back as well.
If you find someone to take on Bargnanis contract, then Kleiza could be amnestied. Fields then only has 1 more year on his deal. Thats probably about as good as we could get in terms of shedding cap space.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:31 PM
thatshype

Looking at the salary charts, I'm starting to wonder if keeping Haddadi and releasing Aaron Gray might be the better option. Gray makes a little under double Haddadi's salary ($2.5M vs. $1.3M), and Haddadi has a team option for next season while Gray has a player option. Strictly in terms of contract management, Haddadi is definitely preferable.

As far as on-court impact goes, it seems to me that Haddadi might be the better player of the two, as well. Per 36 minutes, Haddadi is a marginally better rebounder, a significantly better shot blocker, and significantly less turnover prone. Granted, both are black holes on offense so neither would see a lot of minutes. I suppose the only significant difference is Haddadi is more accustomed to playing ~7 minutes per game as opposed to Gray's ~12, but comparing minute allocation of the Grizzlies vs the Raptors leaves a lot to be desired.

So what do you guys think? Haddadi or Gray?

Old
01-31-2013, 12:48 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
Looking at the salary charts, I'm starting to wonder if keeping Haddadi and releasing Aaron Gray might be the better option. Gray makes a little under double Haddadi's salary ($2.5M vs. $1.3M), and Haddadi has a team option for next season while Gray has a player option. Strictly in terms of contract management, Haddadi is definitely preferable.

As far as on-court impact goes, it seems to me that Haddadi might be the better player of the two, as well. Per 36 minutes, Haddadi is a marginally better rebounder, a significantly better shot blocker, and significantly less turnover prone. Granted, both are black holes on offense so neither would see a lot of minutes. I suppose the only significant difference is Haddadi is more accustomed to playing ~7 minutes per game as opposed to Gray's ~12, but comparing minute allocation of the Grizzlies vs the Raptors leaves a lot to be desired.

So what do you guys think? Haddadi or Gray?
Haddadi is smarter from a marketing stand point. He will bring so many Persians out to Raptors games.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:52 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
Haddadi is smarter from a marketing stand point. He will bring so many Persians out to Raptors games.
The Raptors don't have much of a problem with their attendance.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:12 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
My counter to that: If BC can move 2 of those ugly contracts... Bargs and Fields then we're actually in decent shape.

I don't really get the "cap situation" argument. Since 1995 this team has never acquired an elite talent through trade or FA. We've had arguably 4 "elite" or "superstar" players.... Stoudemire, VC, TMac and Bosh in the history of the franchise.. Every single one of those guys came through the Draft.... (VC was traded for Jamieson of draft day but I don't count that).

We're never going to acquire an elite talent any other way, at least not until we've got a very good team in place that can attract one of those players. With Lowry, DD, Gay, TRoss, Valanciunas and Amir we've got a decent starting point.
Ok so the general consensus is that our players come from the draft, which is fine and all except for the fact that
1) BC traded our 1st Rd Pick this year
2) BC enjoys trading his former 1st Rd Picks (Hibbert, Davis)
Quote:
As for the second part of the plan being if we can just get rid of Bargs, Keliza, and Fields...really, who in their right mind would give anything of value / anything at all for these players? Fields is probably entirely unmovable, Bargs and Kleiza can probably only net you worse players with contracts just as bad.

This is like a Habs fan saying things will be fine when they trade Gomez to another team. It ain't happening...

Can't believe Burke got the boot before BC, still boggles my mind. At least it seemed like he had some sort of long term plan for his team. BC has just made a bunch of knee jerk band aid attempts at fixing his broken roster, each one dragging us down just a little bit farther.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:15 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
Two Words: Luis Scola.

Do it BC!
I'd rather Paul Millsap.

01-31-2013, 01:22 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
is their a video of jose or ed saying their goodbyes ?

Old
01-31-2013, 01:31 PM
TheSilencer

Quote:
I honestly don't see who'd be interested in him. Apparently we even had trouble finding a 3rd team to trade Jose to, and Jose is a better player.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:43 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilencer View Post
I honestly don't see who'd be interested in him. Apparently we even had trouble finding a 3rd team to trade Jose to, and Jose is a better player.
everything you just said is false....

the pistions have been after jose for a long, long time now.

and from what i heard from BC, radio etc... their is interest in bargs.. one team that might pop out is the lakers

Closed Thread